rstarter

Ongoing Derek Carr Thread

5,529 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, NOTW said:

And the obligatory apology, I didn't mean it, etc.

Foot meet mouth 

but in  his case  a** meet mouth 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:38 PM, rstarter said:

Three years after he was drafted, and he's about to break the bank with his next contract. If I had to put my prediction on Carr on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being damn near prophetic, I'd put it at a....

giphy.gif

a 3?  I mean, you get full credit for predicting that he will be a starter in the league. 

Had you stopped there, you would have every right to have kept your name and post that silly gif.

but no.  You couldn't stop there.  You went on and on about how he was going to be the greatest QB to come out of college.  He would win accolades in his rookie year, he would own records, he would win multiple super bowls.

None of that has happened, so let's not pat ourselves on the back all that much. 

2 people like this

34 minutes ago, Vee said:

a 3?  I mean, you get full credit for predicting that he will be a starter in the league. 

Had you stopped there, you would have every right to have kept your name and post that silly gif.

but no.  You couldn't stop there.  You went on and on about how he was going to be the greatest QB to come out of college.  He would win accolades in his rookie year, he would own records, he would win multiple super bowls.

None of that has happened, so let's not pat ourselves on the back all that much. 

He has not even thrown a pass in a playoff game :D 

On 4/3/2017 at 4:44 PM, NE.Jon said:

at this point he is less of a QB then Cousins or Cook .  Both of those QBs atleast have some Playoff experience .   While your boy has 0  and shows he did not drink enough Milk as a kid because he keeps breaking bones 

Cook- because of injury. Cousins- because Chip Kelly is a moron. Cousins had another opportunity to lead his team to Playoffs last year, but he blew it. Carr has shown he can win games for Raiders, maybe even Playoff games, but because of injury, he couldn't play in Playoffs. Cousins IS replaceable.

43 minutes ago, metalhead0043 said:

:unsure:

He deserves it unlike Kirk Cousins. 2016 season showed that without Carr, Raiders are horrible. Carr lead Raiders to a possible first-round bye while Cousins cost his team Playoffs last year. If Cousins told me he wants $26M+/year, I would tell him he's crazy and have him play through tag and let him walk.

1 hour ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Cook- because of injury. Cousins- because Chip Kelly is a moron. Cousins had another opportunity to lead his team to Playoffs last year, but he blew it. Carr has shown he can win games for Raiders, maybe even Playoff games, but because of injury, he couldn't play in Playoffs. Cousins IS replaceable.

He deserves it unlike Kirk Cousins. 2016 season showed that without Carr, Raiders are horrible. Carr lead Raiders to a possible first-round bye while Cousins cost his team Playoffs last year. If Cousins told me he wants $26M+/year, I would tell him he's crazy and have him play through tag and let him walk.

Both have 0 playoff wins ..... Carr seems to have weak bones.  Romo had that problem and had a huge contract too :D

9 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Cousins' play probably hasn't warranted that much but they really have no other option. If Cousins walks next offseason I think it's a huge mistake for the Redskins. They spent so long looking for a QB and now they have one who is at least pretty good. They will be back to the QB carousel if he walks. It will take them years to find anyone who is as good as Cousins. He might not win a SB but they have a much better chance with him than any other QB on the roster.

Good for Carr ... but these QB contracts are getting seriously out of control. 

1 person likes this

NJOgo.gif

2 people like this

Now for the flame out......

1 person likes this

Oakland jumped the gun just like the Colts did.

2 people like this

The highest paid player in the history of the NFL.  Seriously. 

Almost every year we have a new highest paid player, or highest paid at their position.  This is no different, he who gets paid last, gets paid most.  This will continue as the salary cap increases, and in a couple years it will look like a pretty good deal.  Just wait for Winston/Mariota/Wentz/Prescott when it's time for their extensions, we'll be all like OMG again.

Stafford will be re-upped soon enough & will top Carr. Rodgers may start squawking. These numbers are still staggering, though.

Everyone should know only the guaranteed money matters ..... and he is not even top 5  for QBs  .... he is 6th  .  Rtarter  just because someone is giving that amount of money does not change anything ... even Bradford god paid a kings ransom  and list could go on

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

Everyone should know only the guaranteed money matters ..... and he is not even top 5  for QBs  .... he is 6th  .  Rtarter  just because someone is giving that amount of money does not change anything ... even Bradford god paid a kings ransom  and list could go on

The Raiders on Thursday signed Derek Carr to a five-year, $125 million extension with $40 million fully guaranteed and $70 million in total guarantees, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport, citing sources familiar with the deal. The deal has elevated Carr over Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck as the league's highest paid player in terms of average money per year.

Stupid money

Okay, so I feel like I'm pretty well versed in how contracts and the salary cap works, but...

a five-year, $125 million extension with $40 million fully guaranteed and $70 million in total guarantees

:huh:

How is fully guaranteed and total guarantees any different here? If something is guaranteed then it's guaranteed. Is $30 million of the total guarantees somehow recoverable? If it is, then it isn't a guarantee.

Teach me people. :lol:

1 person likes this

Rstarter,

Actually, this might be one of the few forecasts you did NOT make.

You told us he'd be rookie of the year, hold all the records, win multiple super bowls, etc, etc, what you never did say was that he would be the highest paid player in the league.  I don't believe you can take credit for this one.

That being said, you can agree it doesn't mean much to back up your statements in the past.  We've all seen too many players (oddly enough many of them on the Redskins) get paid a kings ransom only to flame out.  Joe Flacco comes to mind immedately...

Unfortunately QB salaries are not commensurate with success.

6 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Okay, so I feel like I'm pretty well versed in how contracts and the salary cap works, but...

How is fully guaranteed and total guarantees any different here? If something is guaranteed then it's guaranteed. Is $30 million of the total guarantees somehow recoverable? If it is, then it isn't a guarantee.

I'm assuming that the $30 total guarantees are probably based on whether he is still on the roster at a certain point in time.  If they cut him before, that money probably isn't guaranteed.  So it's kinda guaranteed.  It's not an incentive, and it's not worked into his base salary. 

I could be wrong.

Just now, Vee said:

I'm assuming that the $30 total guarantees are probably based on whether he is still on the roster at a certain point in time.  If they cut him before, that money probably isn't guaranteed.  So it's kinda guaranteed.  It's not an incentive, and it's not worked into his base salary. 

I could be wrong.

Makes sense if that's what it is. Just seems funny how they worded it in the article. Without any context or additional explanation it basically seems like they're saying "$40 million is guaranteed with $70 million guaranteed." I read it like 3 times to make sure I wasn't missing something. :lol:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Makes sense if that's what it is. Just seems funny how they worded it in the article. Without any context or additional explanation it basically seems like they're saying "$40 million is guaranteed with $70 million guaranteed." I read it like 3 times to make sure I wasn't missing something. :lol:

I think what they're saying is there is a 50/50 chance he gets all the guarantees, but there's only a 10% chance of that. 

:whistle:

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Its bad wording. He gets $40M as a signing bonus. An additional $30M is guaranteed at some point in the contract, totaling $70M guaranteed

Just now, leanmeangreenmachine said:

Its bad wording. He gets $40M as a signing bonus. An additional $30M is guaranteed at some point in the contract, totaling $70M guaranteed

Thank you. I figured there had to some something up with the wording. That makes sense.

I know we've ragged on Carr a lot in here (mostly just F'ing around with Rstarter) but good for him. He's about to blow past big brother's $40 million in career earnings. At least this Carr is good.