Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ackid38

New Redskins Name

Actually, if the Redskins do change their name, I would look to change it to the name of the old USFL team, the Washington Federals. 

This including taking on the old logo of the USFL franchise (later known as the Orlando Renegades, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Renegades after moving there in 1985 after playing 1983-'84 in Washington) and so forth. 

That might be the way to go.

Recalling how the Stanford Indians became the Stanford Cardinal, the Washington Maroons has something to recommend it - and also remember that ages ago there was an NHL team named the Montreal Maroons.

And do you remember the Washington Federals of the USFL?

If you do, then you would know why they wouldn't want to go there!

If you trace things back further there was a team in Pottsville, PA called the Pottsville Maroons. The team won the NFL championship in 1925, but was stripped of the title due to playing a game out of their region. It was given to Chicago instead. The maroons moved to Boston, and folded a year or two later. The next season, they reconstituted the football team in Boston, and named the team the Braves. It's that team that moves to DC, and changed their name to the redskins.

So changing it to the maroon would not be THAT outrageous, given the history.

I think they should go with the "Indigenous murdering savages".

If they really need to be all PC up in this, they could go with the "Ex US land-owners".

If you trace things back further there was a team in Pottsville, PA called the Pottsville Maroons. The team won the NFL championship in 1925, but was stripped of the title due to playing a game out of their region. It was given to Chicago instead. The maroons moved to Boston, and folded a year or two later. The next season, they reconstituted the football team in Boston, and named the team the Braves. It's that team that moves to DC, and changed their name to the redskins.

So changing it to the maroon would not be THAT outrageous, given the history.

plus it sounds like moron which is accurate in describing their fanbase

Nothing wrong with their current name, other than offending the Washington family by using their name.

Don't want to switch  to "Screaming ochre faced godless heathens"?

I just worry it could make their uniforms look a little "busy".

Posted · Hidden by Moderator12, September 15, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Moderator12, September 15, 2014 - No reason given

I think they should go with the "Indigenous murdering savages".

If they really need to be all PC up in this, they could go with the "Ex US land-owners".

We now know that the peoples who became the various Indian tribes migrated

to North & South America from Asia across the 'land bridge' between what is now

Russia & Alaska some 25,000 - 50,000 +/- years ago.

Accordingly, there are no human beings indiginous to North or South America.

You can argue that the Indians came here first. But at some point you have to

accept the fact that our ancestors all came out of Africa and then migrated to

Eurasia or Asia, as did the Indians' ancestors. 

We all live here now, but none of us are from 'here', ancestrally speaking.

Which means we're all "BRUTHAHS". <g>

I would keep the name Washington Redskins until Hell freezes over. 

Recalling how the Stanford Indians became the Stanford Cardinal, the Washington Maroons has something to recommend it - and also remember that ages ago there was an NHL team named the Montreal Maroons.

And do you remember the Washington Federals of the USFL?

If you do, then you would know why they wouldn't want to go there!

I actually do remember the Federals (later Orlando Renegades) and they were bad, but that isn't the point.  I just think the name is the best option.

But at some point you have to accept the fact that our ancestors all came out of Africa and then migrated to

Eurasia or Asia, as did the Indians' ancestors. 

Looking at my pasty white ancestry, I think it's safe to assume none of us came from Africa.  :lol:

Looking at my pasty white ancestry, I think it's safe to assume none of us came from Africa.  :lol:

Hey, listen: there's no one on the planet whiter than me . . . except an Albino!

I'm blond & blue and my kids all look like NSDAP youths!

I've been reading about this and it's fascinating: the current theory is that all

human life came out of Africa. In much the same way we see tribal civilizations

in the Middle East, man formed a number of tribes and moved North, West &

East out of Africa.

The tribes that migrated North & West eventually lost their pigmentation over

a period of some 5000 to 10,000 years. 

The tribes that migrated East became the Asian tribes who retained a degree

of pigmentation but generally lightened up because they didn't need the darker

complexion.

The tribes that remained in Africa needed the darker pigmentation so they pretty

much stayed the same.

Makes sense to me but I'll admit: I don't know 100% for sure that it's true.

But it does seem logical. 

I actually do remember the Federals (later Orlando Renegades) and they were bad, but that isn't the point.  I just think the name is the best option.

Good choice. How about the Generals, or Senators. Those would be good too. The Texas Rangers, and Minnesota Twins won't mind them using the Senators name. 

Don't think they can use "Washington Generals" as I believe the Harlem Globetrotters may have that name copyrighted (that's the team they usually play in their staged games). 

Would be interesting if they took the Senators name.

I still like the name "Washington Federals."  You already have a ready-made logo from the USFL days as well.

Don't think they can use "Washington Generals" as I believe the Harlem Globetrotters may have that name copyrighted (that's the team they usually play in their staged games). 

Would be interesting if they took the Senators name.

I still like the name "Washington Federals."  You already have a ready-made logo from the USFL days as well.

I was throwing the Generals in for conversation. How about Washington Admirals then. Kinda catchy if you ask me.

But, I do agree. Skins contact the owner of the USFL's Orlando/Washington team from back then. Get his ok to use the name, and logo. About March when nothing is happening have a press conference. Feel good moment, and this stupid nonsense dies. Having said that. I feel that if they are going to change their name. They should go ahead and get this over with. Then let the liberals find something else to whine about. 

Why not just call them the Washington Hogs?

It fits so well with the whole fanbase and DC in general.

The Hogs were named after their great offensive line in the 80s and of course inspired the now retired Hogettes, the male fans who dressed as women cheerleaders. I bet to a lot of current fans they don't even known who the Hogs were because most Skins fans these days are frauds.

The Hogs were named after their great offensive line in the 80s and of course inspired the now retired Hogettes, the male fans who dressed as women cheerleaders. I bet to a lot of current fans they don't even known who the Hogs were because most Skins fans these days are frauds.

Skins fans were ALWAYS frauds.  Worst NFL fans in the world - Great skins fans however.   Unless they played fantasy football, you typical skins fan for the last 30 years could not name more than 2 players on each of the other NFC East teams. 

F'n Pathetic, the whole lot of them. 

Skins fans were ALWAYS frauds.  Worst NFL fans in the world - Great skins fans however.   Unless they played fantasy football, you typical skins fan for the last 30 years could not name more than 2 players on each of the other NFC East teams. 

F'n Pathetic, the whole lot of them. 

Well. If you are originally from Philly. At least you feel right at home in that cesspool of Sterling, VA you currently live in.

Well. If you are originally from Philly. At least you feel right at home in that cesspool of Sterling, VA you currently live in.

Ziiiiiiiiing!!!!!!!!'n