Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Plan Unfolding As Free Agency Nears

The makeover is underway. As the Eagles prepare for the start of free agency on March 10 at 4 PM, they are making sure they are in the best possible shape with the $143.28 million limit. Releasing cornerback Cary Williams on Tuesday helps that picture as well as offering a glimpse into the team’s positions of priority this offseason …

View the full article

There looks to be more than just a change in personnel. They hired a new secondary coach. Are moving towards new players. It has the feel of a major philosophical change for the corners. Cupboard feels nearly bare at the position now.

CHip adding roster space-a good sign he will be busy in FA

Shows us just a tad under 33 mil,but is that before they raised the ceiling?

Triple-I woulda beat you if you had typed a football related post lol

We know have what 32 mil in cap room,or more since they raised it?

*now

I believe with Williams being cut, our cap space is $32.2 million, with likely restructures coming for Meco, Cole and possibly Shady (though it's not necessary) we'll probably be near $42-$44 million.

Immediately following his release, Williams appeared on 97.5-FM The Fanatic in Philadelphia where he said the team did not even offer him the chance to restructure his salary. The 30-year-old played more than 1,000 snaps in each of his two seasons, though not with much success. Williams made some headlines early in his tenure for missing a few voluntary workouts.

:roll:  They didn't want you anymore

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476026/article/philadelphia-eagles-cut-ties-with-cary-williams

So, our defensive backfield needed a change and upgrade, now we just need a backfield in general. Risky move cutting your ties before you have replacements in line. Let's see if their plan works. I still think we will get Maxwell, but will we pair him with Carol, Boykins or someone else? And will it be Wolfe or someone else with Jenkins in the deep backfield? This move has me 90% excited for whats to come and 10% fearful of what if it doesn't go their way, exp. Marcus Smith.

So, our defensive backfield needed a change and upgrade, now we just need a backfield in general. Risky move cutting your ties before you have replacements in line. Let's see if their plan works. I still think we will get Maxwell, but will we pair him with Carol, Boykins or someone else? And will it be Wolfe or someone else with Jenkins in the deep backfield? This move has me 90% excited for whats to come and 10% fearful of what if it doesn't go their way, exp. Marcus Smith.

I posted what I would do in another thread. Which is, if the Pats don't re-sign him, target McCourty and possibly Maxwell, maybe another FA corner, then try and move up a few spots in the draft, to grab Trae Waynes.

talk about setting up two people to be cut.... Ryans and Celek, according to overthecap, have 0 dead money on this year if cut before June 1st......cutting both would mean we would get another 10 million dollars in cap money..... i love celek and ryans is a great guy and leader....but unless they both RESTRUCTURE SOON I don't see both coming back...if either do....both players starting to decline, both at the end of their primes, and both getting a little too much money for contributions.... Ryans is worth, I would say (if he stays healthy all year) about 4 mil in cap hit, while Celek (with Ertz's emergence) work about 1.5 to 2 mil cap hit.... What do you guys think?

troc- If we cut Ryans who would be our starting ILB next to Kendricks? Not that easy to replace his leadership or production, even if aging and not 100% not an easy task.

here is my thoughts.... we have our 3rd stringer in GJ Kinne sitting down on our PS (kid can run, pass, and has great field awareness, although he isn't the tallest player at QB for sure), our #2 behind whoever is our starter (foles or Mariota) should be Jake Locker. Getting Maxwell would be our top option (after resigning Maclin) and if we don't use trade chips to get Marcus, how about going after andre johnson (who would come cheap since the Texans just wanna get rid of him) just to see what it would take, (Johnson, Maclin, Matthews is as deadly as it comes in the NFC East if we pull it off). First round I can see us going for a CB or Safety, moving up in second round to take Eric Kendricks (idc about his brother, the kid can not only play, but fills a needed position for MLB depth and he can play multiple spots at LB which is what Chip likes)... I could also see us going after Sam Acho (again don't care about family on the team, he has the pedigree, plays strong every play, and could come pretty cheap even though he is one of the best free agents this year at LB)

I think depending on how Meco's rehab has gone, the Eagles could part ways with him via an injury settlement.

troc- If we cut Ryans who would be our starting ILB next to Kendricks? Not that easy to replace his leadership or production, even if aging and not 100% not an easy task.

ILB is/was a priority even with Meco being here. Which is why all the trade everything for Mariota talk is ridiculous.