Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ackid38

SeaHawks offer Wilson $21 Million a year...He Says Nope

Just did a little research on a few QBs when the other team scores more than 20 (including playoffs):

Wilson - 5-7

Kaepernick - 8-11

Matt Ryan - 22-43

Carson Palmer - 14-67

I'll try to add more later.

I would be curious to see Nick Foles in that scenario.

Just did a little research on a few QBs when the other team scores more than 20 (including playoffs): I'm willing to bet almost all qbs records are not very good when the other teams put up more then 20

Wilson - 5-7

Kaepernick - 8-11

Matt Ryan - 22-43

Carson Palmer - 14-67

I'll try to add more later.

A few more players - keep in mind this is starts where the other team scored 21 points or more (including playoffs)

Eli Manning - 27 - 70

RG3 - 8-20

Sam Bradford - 3-22

Tony Romo - 27-40

An interesting thing I noticed when doing this is the percentage of games won where the other team scored 21 or more vs. the total wins.  For example, the Giants won 99 games under Manning, with 27 wins being where the other team scored 21 points or more.  So his percentage is 27.3%.  Here's the list of the players I did already:

Eli Manning - 27.3

RG3 - 57.1

Sam Bradford - 16.7

Tony Romo - 35.1

Carson Palmer - 20

Russell Wilson - 11.9

Nick Foles - 46.7

Colin Kaepernick - 27.6

Matt Ryan - 32.8

Keep in mind these are just stats, and don't really prove much of anything as there are various reasons why these numbers are the way they are.  For example, one might say that Wilson's 11.9% means that he has to do less, while RG3's 57.1% means he has to do the most to win.  While it seems that way, it doesn't take into account turnovers/quick drives that may help the other team score more points by putting the other team in good field position.

half of those losses came in the 4-12 season as well.

we also play at a faster tempo which increases total points per game, to be fair.

The fact that we still measure offenses by points/yards per game as opposed to per drive (or going even further and accounting for field position) is pretty odd.

How does his record when the other teams more than 20 compare to other QBs? Would you agree that this is also a team stat, not a QB stat too?

I agree team stat, but fact is. He is winless when the other team scores 24 points.. Meaning he really can't carry the team to victory.

I agree team stat, but fact is. He is winless when the other team scores 24 points.. Meaning he really can't carry the team to victory.

When the other team scores 25 points or more, the Seahawks haven't won with Wilson. I'll let you do the legwork on the other Qbs so we can compare the stats. Without comparison, it's difficult to determine what that means. You're saying he can't carry a team based on a random stat, which is likely a stat that Qbs have a low winning % in.

The % of people who die in a hospitals is greater than those who die outside hospitals. Looks like I'm not going to a hospital next time I'm sick!

The % of people who die in a hospitals is greater than those who die outside hospitals. Looks like I'm not going to a hospital next time I'm sick!

Apples and moon rocks. Thanks for the input

When the other team scores 25 points or more, the Seahawks haven't won with Wilson. I'll let you do the legwork on the other Qbs so we can compare the stats. Without comparison, it's difficult to determine what that means. You're saying he can't carry a team based on a random stat, which is likely a stat that Qbs have a low winning % in.

I'm saying if the other team scores more than 24, they don't win. Foles won this year, Sanchez won this year when the other team scores 24. He hasn't done it once in 3 years. Speaks to the fact, the defense is that team as we all know. Wilson doesn't deserve to be 2nd highest paid QB. Not even close.

And reiterates my main point. There are close to 10-15 QBs who would have had similar success on that team.

It doesn't mean that 10-15 QB's would have similar success.  It just means that in the few opportunities where the other team scored 25 or more points, the Seahawks haven't won.  The Seahawks have an elite defense, but it doesn't mean their QB is average.  Watching him play will tell you that.  He put up good numbers as well, which only reiterates that he's not the average QB that you try to depict him to be.  I think that the team would be decent with an average QB, but I don't think they'd have the same success that they have had with Wilson.  The Seahawks don't have a high powered offense, so I'm not too surprised that they don't win shootouts where both teams score 25 or more.  I do like how you moved the goal line from 22 points or more to 25 points or more.

Is he overpaid?  Possibly, but it all depends on when contracts are signed.  If Rodgers was due for a new contract after this season, he'd probably sign for quite a lot more than he signed for a couple years ago.  So in the next couple years, what is a top end QB salary could end up being closer to 10th highest QB in 2017.

It doesn't mean that 10-15 QB's would have similar success. It just means that in the few opportunities where the other team scored 25 or more points, the Seahawks haven't won. The Seahawks have an elite defense, but it doesn't mean their QB is average. Watching him play will tell you that. He put up good numbers as well, which only reiterates that he's not the average QB that you try to depict him to be. I think that the team would be decent with an average QB, but I don't think they'd have the same success that they have had with Wilson. The Seahawks don't have a high powered offense, so I'm not too surprised that they don't win shootouts where both teams score 25 or more. I do like how you moved the goal line from 22 points or more to 25 points or more.

Is he overpaid? Possibly, but it all depends on when contracts are signed. If Rodgers was due for a new contract after this season, he'd probably sign for quite a lot more than he signed for a couple years ago. So in the next couple years, what is a top end QB salary could end up being closer to 10th highest QB in 2017.

I just found the actual stat. The other was off memory. But he is winless when his defense doesn't do their job. I'm not saying he's average, but he is nowhere near elite and I believe at least 10 QBs would have similar success on that team. That team makes him seem a lot better than he is and isn't winning a shootouts a QB carrying his team? He's proven he can't do that.

He's had limited opportunities when the other team scores 25 or more, so I'm. It too surprised they haven't won in that scenario in 3 years. He's had many comebacks which is what you'd want to see as well. Again, the Seahawks don't have the high powered offense. Foles and Sanchez played on a team where the offense was high powered and the defense wasn't good. If they were on the Seahawks, it's unlikely that they'd win in a shoot out game as well.

From what I saw from wilson last year was he would have 1-1/2 good quarters a game... he would be almost terrible for the first 40 minutes and then get things going towards the end... but That defense would always keep the other team under 14 points and wait until wilson woke up.

I'm saying if the other team scores more than 24, they don't win. Foles won this year, Sanchez won this year when the other team scores 24. He hasn't done it once in 3 years. Speaks to the fact, the defense is that team as we all know. Wilson doesn't deserve to be 2nd highest paid QB. Not even close.

And reiterates my main point. There are close to 10-15 QBs who would have had similar success on that team.

Way too small a sample size. How many opportunities with that defense did he even have to meet that criteria.

Seattle plays offense in a way that compliments the defense. As it should.

I'm saying if the other team scores more than 24, they don't win. 

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact they play at the 2nd slowest pace in the nfl.

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact they play at the 2nd slowest pace in the nfl.

Link?.  I would love to show this to a friend to shut his piehole

Way too small a sample size. How many opportunities with that defense did he even have to meet that criteria.

Seattle plays offense in a way that compliments the defense. As it should.

Sure, but it just shows, Wilson isn't worth that contract.

Sure, but it just shows, Wilson isn't worth that contract.

No, no its doesnt. It show your grasping at straws and using crazy stats to try and prove your non point.

No, no its doesnt. It show your grasping at straws and using crazy stats to try and prove your non point.

Actually no straws or crazy stat. It's a simple stat. My point is very valid. Russell is not a top 5 QB and does not deserve to be the 2nd highest paid QB. And 10 QBs would have similar to greater success in that offense.

My poing was real simple. He can not carry the offense, is the defense doesn't show up.

Actually no straws or crazy stat. It's a simple stat. My point is very valid. Russell is not a top 5 QB and does not deserve to be the 2nd highest paid QB. And 10 QBs would have similar to greater success in that offense.

He won't be soon. The cap is higher than when guys like Rodgers signed their deals. Luck's deal will be significantly higher

He won't be soon. The cap is higher than when guys like Rodgers signed their deals. Luck's deal will be significantly higher

Luck will be the highest paid QB. No question.

My poing was real simple. He can not carry the offense, is the defense doesn't show up.

Ok. So if one qb plays in a just a few games where his defense gives up 24 points he has a lot less chances to get a win under those circumstances right? But if another, lesser qb plays in a whole bunch of games where his team gives up 24 points and he wins a couple of those games, then by your extremely flawed reasoning he must be better.

Your stat and criteria are idiotic.