daniel anderson

Should the NFL get rid of the "Mandtory Kickoff" rule?

Living in New England it's always the Giants game when they play at 1:00 on Fox. I don't know what it is about that team, but all of their games seem to take forever. I've missed several minutes of a 4:00 Eagles game a  number of times when the Gnats game didn't even go to OT.

That happened to me in 2010. The day we played the Colts coming off our bye, CBS was showing the Lions and Jets game that went into OT. It wasn't even the game my local CBS had on originally, it was bonus coverage. There must have been a lot of people calling in to complain because since then, both CBS and FOX switch to the Eagles game even if the early game runs late.

that was the same week that the Chiefs-Raiders game caused CBS to preempt CSI correct?  I've always thought it was the Jets Lions game but...

The problem is there are those who only care about the local team and MUST see the opening kickoff.  That's why the NFL has that, as otherwise, such (especially parents of kids) would get extremely upset and complain.

One thing perhaps that SHOULD be considered is perhaps to have the early games start at say 12:40 instead of 1:00 on the doubleheader network.  I can't see them going the other way and moving back the last games to 4:35, especially since CBS has to air "60 Minutes" after the DH games on its weeks with such and that's the one program whose audience is the type that would complain not to CBS, but the FCC if it were delayed to say 8:00 PM ET like FOX likes to go on its DH weeks ("60" has by far the oldest average audience of any network prime time show and most of that show's viewers are from the era when 7:00-8:00 PM ET/PT Sunday nights was strictly reserved for News/Information or Children's Programming as an actual FCC regulation and the NFL was actually not supposed to go past 7:00 PM ET per FCC rules at the time with VERY limited exceptions where I believe networks had to get permission from the FCC to do that).

I have seen CBS preempt Murder She Wrote for the NFL.. the Eagles Raiders game in 86(with Gary Bender and Hank Stram on the call)...and it was "bonus coverage" after the Falcons Dolphins game did that happen much back then?

that was the same week that the Chiefs-Raiders game caused CBS to preempt CSI correct?  I've always thought it was the Jets Lions game but...

No idea about that.

I think they could give the receiving team the option to automatically start from the 20, not to mention the injury factor.

I think they could give the receiving team the option to automatically start from the 20, not to mention the injury factor.

So no more onside kicks then?

What I would look at doing is what actually in place in the CFL, where following a field goal a the team scored against has the option of taking a kickoff OR starting on their own 35 (though for the NFL I would probably put that back to the 25).  The one exception to that as I would do it is in the final 5:00 of regulation or overtime if the team scored against is ahead, that team MUST take the kickoff in that situation to allow the opponent the chance at an on-side kick.

I would also make it where if a ball is kicked through the end zone or not run out of such on a kickoff or punt, that is a rouge and worth one point to the kicking team as is the rule in Canada, but with the ball coming out to the 30 instead of the 20.   If such kickoff happens to go through the uprights, it's worth three points to the kicking team.  Doing that in overtime, however, CAN NOT win a game, as it would be required you MUST win by at least three points EXCEPT where the defense gets a safety to win the game in OT.

The problem is there are those who only care about the local team and MUST see the opening kickoff.  That's why the NFL has that, as otherwise, such (especially parents of kids) would get extremely upset and complain.

One thing perhaps that SHOULD be considered is perhaps to have the early games start at say 12:40 instead of 1:00 on the doubleheader network.  I can't see them going the other way and moving back the last games to 4:35, especially since CBS has to air "60 Minutes" after the DH games on its weeks with such and that's the one program whose audience is the type that would complain not to CBS, but the FCC if it were delayed to say 8:00 PM ET like FOX likes to go on its DH weeks ("60" has by far the oldest average audience of any network prime time show and most of that show's viewers are from the era when 7:00-8:00 PM ET/PT Sunday nights was strictly reserved for News/Information or Children's Programming as an actual FCC regulation and the NFL was actually not supposed to go past 7:00 PM ET per FCC rules at the time with VERY limited exceptions where I believe networks had to get permission from the FCC to do that).

even if the FCC had 7:00 strictly reserved for News/Information or Children's Programming as an actual FCC regulation, i owuld have made a full expecton for not only football but also for the NBA(like if NBC wanted to carry 3 games on a Sunday) or even NCAA Hoops(like during the Tourney like in the first round) while the FCC would want news or childerns progamming in that hour, there would be some expections to that rule(i am surpised that the FCC didnt get rid of the Prime Time Acess rule on Saturdays once CFB became popluar

even if the FCC had 7:00 strictly reserved for News/Information or Children's Programming as an actual FCC regulation, i owuld have made a full expecton for not only football but also for the NBA(like if NBC wanted to carry 3 games on a Sunday) or even NCAA Hoops(like during the Tourney like in the first round) while the FCC would want news or childerns progamming in that hour, there would be some expections to that rule(i am surpised that the FCC didnt get rid of the Prime Time Acess rule on Saturdays once CFB became popluar

Back then Churches had much greater say and there were a lot of religious groups as I remember that associate pro sports with gambling, and that played a big part in why the NFL had to schedule the second games for 4:00 PM ET.  It was only after the scandals with a bunch of Televangelists in the the late 1980's did this start to change, especially when NBC often began airing a 5:30 PM ET third game of a NBA tripleheader in the early '90s.  The rules really were relaxed when the NFL moved the 4:00 PM ET starts to 4:15 and more recently 4:25, but with the case of "60 Minutes," that's why I can't see the late games going back any further because I believe CBS has to get "60" on by 8:00 PM ET unless a game is still in OT to keep those who would complain to the FCC off the FCC's backs, and I believe CBS is only allowed an exemption to that for the Super Bowl and AFC Conference Championship games and in very limited cases the NCAA Tournament other than when an event runs long.  "60's" audience is much older than any other show on TV.

As for the Saturday prime time access rule, that has all but been done away with.  Networks as needed on Saturdays now start events at 7:00 or 7:30 PM ET and FOX during the spring/early summer with baseball and in the fall with college football does that every week.  

Back then Churches had much greater say and there were a lot of religious groups as I remember that associate pro sports with gambling, and that played a big part in why the NFL had to schedule the second games for 4:00 PM ET.  It was only after the scandals with a bunch of Televangelists in the the late 1980's did this start to change, especially when NBC often began airing a 5:30 PM ET third game of a NBA tripleheader in the early '90s.  The rules really were relaxed when the NFL moved the 4:00 PM ET starts to 4:15 and more recently 4:25, but with the case of "60 Minutes," that's why I can't see the late games going back any further because I believe CBS has to get "60" on by 8:00 PM ET unless a game is still in OT to keep those who would complain to the FCC off the FCC's backs, and I believe CBS is only allowed an exemption to that for the Super Bowl and AFC Conference Championship games and in very limited cases the NCAA Tournament other than when an event runs long.  "60's" audience is much older than any other show on TV.

As for the Saturday prime time access rule, that has all but been done away with.  Networks as needed on Saturdays now start events at 7:00 or 7:30 PM ET and FOX during the spring/early summer with baseball and in the fall with college football does that every week.  

I think the reason why so many syndicated shows like Star Search, American Gladiators, and even Hee Haw ended was with ABC getting exclusive college football rights in 91, a lot of stations that were airing with those shows were ABC stations and the syndicators didn't want to take the chance that there would be a lengthy game(Group W, which had On Scene: Emergency Response and maybe a few other shows at the time, was also probably worried about Notre Dame telecasts on NBC(wonder if Group W would have signed up as many FOX stations as it could to carry On Scene to avoid such issues?) might have helped if NBC was carrying NBA games at 5:30 more often back then too.

Why not..qbs wear skirts,

You can't hit em high or low(that goes for pretty much everyone )

Stupid 2 pt conversion rules and OT rules

Czar Goodell has ruined the game...

i was thinking about a 1980 game between the Eagles and the Falcons where this rule(the cutaway rule) came back to bite CBS and they got so many complaints that my folks remember Brent Musburger coming on at halftime of the DAL/OAK game talking about that rule. that rule does sometimes cost some markets the ending of a great game but sometimes it happens. but i do remember sometimes he would say that 60 Minutes would start as soon as someone scored when setting up a overtime game when he was in the studio(not certain if Bryant Gumbel ever did that at NBC or later on Len Berman or Bob Costas)

i was thinking about a 1980 game between the Eagles and the Falcons where this rule(the cutaway rule) came back to bite CBS and they got so many complaints that my folks remember Brent Musburger coming on at halftime of the DAL/OAK game talking about that rule. that rule does sometimes cost some markets the ending of a great game but sometimes it happens. but i do remember sometimes he would say that 60 Minutes would start as soon as someone scored when setting up a overtime game when he was in the studio(not certain if Bryant Gumbel ever did that at NBC or later on Len Berman or Bob Costas)

I remember that game growing up in New York.  It was (especially then) a rare out-of-town game shown in New York (many don't realize that in New York, even now you have many weeks where you ONLY get the Jets and Giants games over the air).  Giants-Seahawks was the second game of the DH in Seattle and there had been a delay in Seattle because of events at the Kingdome.  Because of the transmissions used (by telephone then), CBS could not switch viewers in New York back to the Falcons-Eagles game and many in New York complained ("The Heidi Game" in 1968 set the rule that NFL games had to be seen in their entireties as there are some fans who only care about the local team and have to see the opening kickoff).  

As for 60 Minutes, especially then CBS had to get it on as soon as the NFL finished as the FCC then was much more stringent on what could air between 7:00 and 8:00 PM ET (news/informational programming or children's shows, which technically is still supposed to be the case) and continued to be that way until 1998 when the late games went to 4:15 (prior to then, churches and religious types had greater say in things and many religious groups frowned on sports airing in "the family hour" because many then and even now associate pro sports with gambling to where pro sports was considered unacceptable to air at certain times).  

I remember that game growing up in New York.  It was (especially then) a rare out-of-town game shown in New York (many don't realize that in New York, even now you have many weeks where you ONLY get the Jets and Giants games over the air).  Giants-Seahawks was the second game of the DH in Seattle and there had been a delay in Seattle because of events at the Kingdome.  Because of the transmissions used (by telephone then), CBS could not switch viewers in New York back to the Falcons-Eagles game and many in New York complained ("The Heidi Game" in 1968 set the rule that NFL games had to be seen in their entireties as there are some fans who only care about the local team and have to see the opening kickoff).  

As for 60 Minutes, especially then CBS had to get it on as soon as the NFL finished as the FCC then was much more stringent on what could air between 7:00 and 8:00 PM ET (news/informational programming or children's shows, which technically is still supposed to be the case) and continued to be that way until 1998 when the late games went to 4:15 (prior to then, churches and religious types had greater say in things and many religious groups frowned on sports airing in "the family hour" because many then and even now associate pro sports with gambling to where pro sports was considered unacceptable to air at certain times).  

my folks watched that Eagles Falcons game..they got that game, DAL/OAK and the end of NYG/SEA(since the game in Oakland ended before the game at the Kingdome, CBS went to the latter game's ending before 60 Minutes)-of course they saw the NE/MIA game the next night when Cosell announced that Lennon was dead the next night they watched the movie A Christmas Without Snow on CBS(the same network that had the ATL/PHI, DAL/OAK and NYG/SEA games). my folks however, used to get mad if CBS switched to another regional game instead of 60 Minutes(they were pretty particular  about that show coming after the game and if CBS joined another game in progress, they would be mad it got worse if there was a overtime game!)  maybe i'm glad i wasn't around back then

Edited by daniel anderson

but talking about this rule the fact that CBS switched simultaneously to not only the Giants game but also the Cowboys game in Oakland and the Saints game in San Francisco just as Steve Bartkowski of the Falcons was intercepted by Richard Blackmore but it was called back due to  a penalty(i think it was holding) now that was bad timing for you in New York(and also in Dallas and New Orelans) to have the game cut off like that. my area didn't see the game get cut off unlike you(my parents lived in a non local market back then, so we saw the entire game)  i think the league has it right with 4:25: it allows as much of the early games to finish before the late games do start

With today's technology there should be a pop up to ask which game you want to watch 

but wasn't CBS feeding the ATL/PHI game as well as the Cowboy game(and the Giants game) out of New York? or was CBS not able to feed more than one game out of NY back then? that's why on some of the games i have from 80, CBS doesn't switch to Brent Musburger for highlights during game action(but NBC could that with Bryant Gumbel?) when Terry O'Neil came to CBS in 81, one of the first things he did was get CBS on par with NBC and MNF(like having Musburger cutting in more often with updates, having all audiences go to 60 Minutes at the same time, and also having cameras at the both 25 yard lines instead of one at the 50). those are things we see pretty much nowdays on the NFL.

going back to the rule, i think the league could at least eliminate the doubleheader rule, and allow the singleheader network to finish all of its early games. i know the league wants to protect the doubleheader network, but the league could also get some extra eyeballs on a overtime game. i do remember when he was in the studio, Jim Nantz actually not liking the rule back in 02 when the league wouldn't let CBS carry the MIA/NE finish opposite FOX's doubleheader game(GB/NYJ?) set in motion the "double doubleheader" that is used in week 17.

Edited by daniel anderson

Actually, the "double doubleheader" came in with the other broadcast changes in 2006 where what had been Monday Night Football on ABC became Sunday Night Football on NBC (NBC had a very strong Monday prime-time schedule then and did not want to mess that up) while ESPN's package was beefed up and moved from Sunday to Monday (though no game the final Monday night).  That was done because of the uneven amount of doubleheaders between networks.

Why not..qbs wear skirts,

You can't hit em high or low(that goes for pretty much everyone )

Stupid 2 pt conversion rules and OT rules

Czar Goodell has ruined the game...

You guys need to read the actual post.

And yes, they need to change the mandatory kickoff rule. It's happened to me a few times. The Texans have ruined my Sunday experience to some extent. 

The NFL should end the Sunday-Ticket monopoly with DirecTV, so anybody watching through any carrier can select the game they want to watch and stay with it completely through.

The NFL should end the Sunday-Ticket monopoly with DirecTV, so anybody watching through any carrier can select the game they want to watch and stay with it completely through.

there is ways to do that free with internet connection . 

there is ways to do that free with internet connection . 

If you want to watch the game in a laggy, 480p quality then sure.