daniel anderson

Should the NFL get rid of the "Mandtory Kickoff" rule?

I was thinking: should the NFL elimmate the "Mandatory Kickoff" rule and let stations stay with a game till its end? the reason I ask is that the Saints Giants last week ran into the start of SEA/DAL so should the network stay with a game till its end instead of switching to the local game on time?

I was thinking: should the NFL elimmate the "Mandatory Kickoff" rule and let stations stay with a game till its end? the reason I ask is that the Saints Giants last week ran into the start of SEA/DAL so should the network stay with a game till its end instead of switching to the local game on time?

No.

yes

Advertisers pay a different amount for commercials during a "local" game versus a "National" telecast - therefore so as not to refund, reduce, whatever the money, the networks need to honor their obligation and show the commercials to a national audience.

The problem is there are those who only care about the local team and MUST see the opening kickoff.  That's why the NFL has that, as otherwise, such (especially parents of kids) would get extremely upset and complain.

One thing perhaps that SHOULD be considered is perhaps to have the early games start at say 12:40 instead of 1:00 on the doubleheader network.  I can't see them going the other way and moving back the last games to 4:35, especially since CBS has to air "60 Minutes" after the DH games on its weeks with such and that's the one program whose audience is the type that would complain not to CBS, but the FCC if it were delayed to say 8:00 PM ET like FOX likes to go on its DH weeks ("60" has by far the oldest average audience of any network prime time show and most of that show's viewers are from the era when 7:00-8:00 PM ET/PT Sunday nights was strictly reserved for News/Information or Children's Programming as an actual FCC regulation and the NFL was actually not supposed to go past 7:00 PM ET per FCC rules at the time with VERY limited exceptions where I believe networks had to get permission from the FCC to do that).

I get why they have to switch to the kick-off of a national game or the local team. Since the switch to digital transmission, most local TV stations now broadcast sub-channels in addition to their main channel. Why can't they switch the game to a sub-channel until its conclusion? Can they put something into their TV contract to allow this?

The problem is there are those who only care about the local team and MUST see the opening kickoff.  That's why the NFL has that, as otherwise, such (especially parents of kids) would get extremely upset and complain.

One thing perhaps that SHOULD be considered is perhaps to have the early games start at say 12:40 instead of 1:00 on the doubleheader network.  I can't see them going the other way and moving back the last games to 4:35, especially since CBS has to air "60 Minutes" after the DH games on its weeks with such and that's the one program whose audience is the type that would complain not to CBS, but the FCC if it were delayed to say 8:00 PM ET like FOX likes to go on its DH weeks ("60" has by far the oldest average audience of any network prime time show and most of that show's viewers are from the era when 7:00-8:00 PM ET/PT Sunday nights was strictly reserved for News/Information or Children's Programming as an actual FCC regulation and the NFL was actually not supposed to go past 7:00 PM ET per FCC rules at the time with VERY limited exceptions where I believe networks had to get permission from the FCC to do that).

FOX has a bit of advantage I guess because they didn't have a show that has done well at 7:00 so they go with "bonus coverage" until the last game finishes.. they have delayed The Simpsons a few times though for that(such has the Rams-49ers tie back a few years ago

This simple rule was violated prior to the Eagles at Cardinals game in 2000. Fox was showing the Cowboys at Giants game at 1:00 that afternoon and stayed with the dramatic conclusion rather than properly switch to the Eagles game in time. They missed the opening kickoff and a couple of plays of the first series. I understand them doing so in most markets, but they also did it in the Philadelphia market, which was infuriating. 

I know this for a fact because I had to go through hell to find a complete version of the broadcast.

doesnt matter to me either way because all they ever show here in utah is Broncos cowboys niners Raiders, and for some reason the giants lately, i watch the games a day later so dont care.

Depends.

No.

How would you like to miss 20 minutes of the Eagles game because the channel didn't switch because the Bucs and Titans were tied 3-3?

How would you like to miss 20 minutes of the Eagles game because the channel didn't switch because the Bucs and Titans were tied 3-3?

That happened to me in 2010. The day we played the Colts coming off our bye, CBS was showing the Lions and Jets game that went into OT. It wasn't even the game my local CBS had on originally, it was bonus coverage. There must have been a lot of people calling in to complain because since then, both CBS and FOX switch to the Eagles game even if the early game runs late.

That happened to me in 2010. The day we played the Colts coming off our bye, CBS was showing the Lions and Jets game that went into OT. It wasn't even the game my local CBS had on originally, it was bonus coverage. There must have been a lot of people calling in to complain because since then, both CBS and FOX switch to the Eagles game even if the early game runs late.

Same here, same game... that's the first time Andy beat Peyton, right? If so, same here...

Same here, same game... that's the first time Andy beat Peyton, right? If so, same here...

Yep. First and only time.

Yep. First and only time.

The penalty against Cole for grazing Peyton's helmet still pisses me off... even though it didn't prevent us from winning.

The penalty against Cole for grazing Peyton's helmet still pisses me off... even though it didn't prevent us from winning.

Me as well, it's ridiculous. The QB is wearing a helmet! I would think a helmet should protect well against a hand. The F'd up thing is, after that season, I thought I heard, or read that they were going to amend or change that rule so as not to allow cheap first downs. I think that exact play was mentioned, but it's still being called today. Throw your arms up to knock down a pass and your arms graze the helmet or hit the shoulder pads, and out comes the flag. Ridiculous.

It's possible I misunderstood the question. I was saying they should not get rid of the mandatory kickoff rule because I was under the impression the rule ensures the local game gets priority. If I am mistaken, then change my vote to the one that ensures the Eagles game is shown in its entirety for local fans. I believe if a game is broadcast locally, it should be shown in its entirety. The conclusion of an exciting game would be shown on redzone which is available on every major provider I believe.

Me as well, it's ridiculous. The QB is wearing a helmet! I would think a helmet should protect well against a hand. The F'd up thing is, after that season, I thought I heard, or read that they were going to amend or change that rule so as not to allow cheap first downs. I think that exact play was mentioned, but it's still being called today. Throw your arms up to knock down a pass and your arms graze the helmet or hit the shoulder pads, and out comes the flag. Ridiculous.

A few weeks after that game...

A few weeks after that game...

I haven't watched their cartoons for a few years, but that one was the best!

It's possible I misunderstood the question. I was saying they should not get rid of the mandatory kickoff rule because I was under the impression the rule ensures the local game gets priority. If I am mistaken, then change my vote to the one that ensures the Eagles game is shown in its entirety for local fans. I believe if a game is broadcast locally, it should be shown in its entirety. The conclusion of an exciting game would be shown on redzone which is available on every major provider I believe.

You understood it, I'm not sure why the board quoted your post in my reply. Maybe I accidentally hit the button on yours too. I agree with you.

I haven't watched their cartoons for a few years, but that one was the best!

Of course, that was followed a few weeks later by this one... which turned out to be the Miracle at the New Meadowlands.