Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Eagles A Factor In Wide-Open NFC East

If Eagles opted to trade Sproles/Barwin/JP along with Cut Sanchez,Coop,Ryans,Celek,Barbe,Gardner,Hart/Bair Eagles would be looking at around 54 plus mil in cap space.....Getting rid of some older guys and some people who don't fit if we changed our D....Opened up some cap to use in FA and hopefully gained some draft picks to add some young talent

Even if we kept Barwin with all the other moves looking at around 48 plus mil in cap room

>>BG93: with Marcus Smith, I thought his "gift" was coverage--not rushing the QB. That's why I put him at LB not DE.

It's funny jaws was just on the news saying how he kept seeing that fans were saying nobody wanted to come here an coach but that this was the most coveted coaching spot and that he was in the meetings when they interviewed the candidates an said how much these men really really wanted to come coach here an Sal palantonio said that it broke down with coughlin when he wanted to much money to long of a contract and too much control right off the bat an that's when they went with Pederson

>>BG93: with Marcus Smith, I thought his "gift" was coverage--not rushing the QB. That's why I put him at LB not DE.

I thought he was drafted as a pass rusher because he was second in the league with 14.5 sacks but they switched him to teach him to cover because they were short at that an billy Davis kept saying itd do good for him because then when he goes back to his normal spot he'd have a different perspective on the field

Woody...normally take some time for pass rusher to adjust to the NFL it is a different ball game at this level

Also didn't him any that we would not get him on the field...The little we did get to see him Saints game and Giants game he was alright getting after the QBs even if it was garbage time

>>BG93: looks like the official search committee included Lurie / Smolenski / Roseman/ jaworski & polian.

Coughlin wanted too much 'control' and $!

Woody... you are starting to get it! Except you are not supposed to mention FB this year. Don't be a welcher! Only 350 more days to go! Piece of cake... or should we say "piece of tastykake" ??? And BTW ... what do you think is more important... keeping older vets around for one more year, or allowing some new blood to get playing time? If you fast forward one year from now ...Jan 2017, when you can talk FB again, do you think you will care if Sproles or Peters was an Eagle in 2016?

I want schwartz and childress for our coordinators. Schwartz runs the style defense I like and he helped an 0 in 16 lions team turn around to being competitive again. Then does a really fine job in buffalo. Childress in my opinion would have won the superbowl in my opinion the year where adrian peterson fumbled like 6 times in that championship game

I still hope we try and bring in cordy glenn. He can play guard or tackle so if peters sticks sround, id put glenn at guard then when peters leaves move him on the outside

Also, we need to bring in more line backer help. Hicks will be coming off injury plus he might mot be as good in a 4 3 but i hope I'm wrong

>>Joemas: well, you know, it depends...

Brian Dawkins was broomed away --defense never found his replacement

Donovan McNabb was a "sacred cow" and probably kept too long.

You got a 1st year HC--and by definition--up to his nose in big decisions he's never had to make before

And, you got an itchy scratchy personnel evaluator who zeroed in on Danny Watkins & Marcus Smith as sure thing first round choices..

So, do you feel lucky?

Some good safeties in free agency potentially this year. Eric Weddle the perennial best safety in the AFC. Eric Berry is an elite leader. I'd love to see us get Reggie Nelson from Cincy and all of his versatility. Tashaun Gipsin is coming off a remarkable season. Rashaud Johnson from the Cards has looked pretty good. Delmas is a thumper. That's a really nice headlining group.

>>>c-ham: you think Kelly was holding Marcus Smith back? Just recalling Tra Thomas remark about Smith not having a linebackers body at end of first season. Billy Davis worked him on both OLB roles.

I really don't think Chip's "training & coaching" system and plan gets rookies up to pro standards. It produced little growth in Agholor, Huff, Smith and others.

Woody... how did Chip's training methods work for Hicks? Lane Johnson? Ertz? Bennie Logan? Jordan Matthews. sometimes you have to give the player some responsibility for himself

BTW.. don't understand your Dawkins or McNabb thing??? Dawkins was the heart and soul of the team. Playing a low paid position, one in which you can teach and coach your teammates during the games. He sees everything back there. How will Jason Peters help the other guys playing different positions when he is focused on blocking his own man? Is Peters all about technique or is he just the stud athlete back there doing his thing? He is getting worse each year. But still may have some value in a trade and provide some cap relief to where you could sign a younger FA OL. One that could be here 5-8 years from now

>>Joemas: given the squirrelly & inconsistent achievements of FO--you want to just have them blast out all the old guys and install their "carefully screened talent"?

Not me.

A couple of guys sure.

Not all at once in 2016.

Look at 2010.

Woody... forget the results of 2016. That is your problem, you are looking at it for what will happen JUST next year. Who cares? They aren't winning a SB, then you keep the guys and create more holes the following season and for the future. That is why this team hasn't contended for a decade. Clean it up and start over the right way, sacrifice a season if you must, ultimately what are you sacrificing? It's not a legit shot at a SB. you are sacrificing MAYBE a few wins? Those few wins ultimately leave you in purgatory longer. Ad besides ... the worse the result, the better chance of changing the FO... don't you think?