Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Eagles A Factor In Wide-Open NFC East

Who is Pederson?

He has no track record of independent, sustained NFL success at any job. He was a career backup quarterback, who Reid plucked from high school coaching to be the Eagles quality control coach in 2009 and 2010. He then became the team%u2019s quarterbacks coach in 2011 and 2012, as the Eagles finished second to last in interceptions his first year and 25th in passing touchdowns his second year.

After Reid was fired in Philadelphia, Pederson went with him to Kansas City to be his offensive coordinator. With Pederson handling very little to none of the play calling, the Chiefs passing offense ranked progressively worse over each of their last three seasons. In 2014, no Chiefs wide receiver caught a touchdown pass and this season %u2014 even with the addition of Jeremy Maclin %u2014 their passing offense ranked 30th, averaging just 203 yards per game.

None of Pederson%u2019s NFL background warrants even a head coaching interview, but for whatever reason, the Eagles are the only team that has shown interest in Pederson

Not14--I think that's exactly the position we're in. They have Shurmer as a fall back. Looking for something better. It doesn't look like everyone has spurned us ...so far. Gase ,if you believe some stories did. A report or two said we offered him the job or a second interview, whichever you would believe. It was a quick blip and all the stories seemed unsubstantiated and speculative at best. We lost any shot at Hue for whatever reasons. But: Coughlin came calling---Shurmer would be ecstatic with the job. McAdoo we knew was going to Gmen but messed with them. Probably got some quality intel out of it. I think we look smart and not rushed. It matters how it plays out forward but I think we are in a decent position of power for a team low on signed talent.

I am so disgusted with the 'brain trust'. When looking at the future prospects of the 4 major Philly teams the Eagles have now slipped to the bottom. If you went out of your way to find the weakest HC candidates Doug Peterson would be your guy. Maybe that's why NO other team searching for a coach is even considering him. Why aren't they looking for a defensive minded coach anyway? The offense, despite its problems, hasn't been worse than middle of the pack for at least 5 years while the defense has been one of the league's worst for at least that long as well. It's interesting that we are most likely are going to hire (or at least interviewed) the KC OC, which has a mediocre offense that's the baby of the head coach there, while their DC has done an amazing job in designing the team's strength and the reason they're still playing. The Chiefs don't appear much more talented on defense than us, if at all, yet have been among the best since Bob Sutton arrived with Reid. He has an amazing resume of success in the NFL and at Army (where he was HC). Jeff and Howie want a nice guy who's a good communicator. That would be great if we were a debate team. The priorities seem so obvious to me: keep Bradford and find someone who knows defense. Logic says hire someone like Sutton, keep Shurmer as OC (if both he and the new HC would be willing), and resign Bradford asap.

RIght now I feel like the owner is s*****g on the fans...I have zero confidence in his ability to select a coach, he obviously didn't consider his replacement options. Think we could get Josh McDaniels from the Pats?

The Philadelphia Eagles appear to be close to hiring a new head coach to replace Chip Kelly and it is a familiar name: Tom Coughlin.

According to several reports Thursday morning talks between the Eagles and Coughlin have intensified with Ian Rapoport saying a deal could be in place "very quickly."

"Eagles talks with Tom Coughlin have intensified, as well. This could all go down very quickly. He seems to have wrapped his head around it," Rapoport wrote on Twitter.

Earlier, Adam Schefter of ESPN reported that the two sides are close but that there "are issues for [the] two sides to work through."

One of the issues on hiring Coughlin is his age. Coughlin will turn 70 before the 2016 season starts, making him five years older than any other head coach in the NFL. There is a report from ESPN that Coughlin still wants to coach for 2-3 more years, but even that makes this a temporary solution for the Eagles and shows that they feel they can win now

Eagles are a factor, if they really are, by default in this weak division. They, however, are the only team of the four that seems to be stagnant, or getting worse. The Skins have now established a QB and balanced offense that will only improve as their young linemen continue to grow, and a strong defensive front seven that should also improve since they can now focus on improving the secondary. The Cowboys are building a real power and will add a top 5 pick. They need to find a QB to develop, for sure. The Giants will also need a young QB, but not for another 3 years or more since Eli is one of the most durable ones ever. They have the least talent, however, and need upgrades at a lot of positions. They're the one team the Eagles still seem to be better than. The birds, however, are in real trouble if Bradford leaves, and I'm guessing that unless Shurmer stays he's leaving to. I certainly would if I were him, and a team like Houston or Denver offered me a contract.

@johnreaves - Bradford leaves only if the Eagles let him leave. He can be franchised this year.

If the Eagles hire Coughlin then what I expected all along is true. Lurie is 64 and growing impatient for a Super Bowl. Worried about his legacy since he is 0 for 21.

My wish list with the latest rumors: Tom Coughlin HC, Pat Shurmur OC, Mike Pettine DC

DC I'm flexible with though. Would be nice to get Lovie

To 1wrangler: I understand that they can franchise Bradford, but they almost certainly won't. They don't do things like that, and never have under Lurie. They won't keep an unhappy player, and especially at the salary (and cap hit) they'd need to pay. The only possible way they'd consider franchising him is if they drafted their next QB and wanted him to sit for a season behind Bradford and earn, but even under those circumstances they'd almost surely wouldn't do it. It's either a longer term deal or they let him walk.

That's a veteran staff for a veteran team that could win now in this division

Coughlin has shown he can get the most from his wrs over his career. Keenan MCCardell/ Jimmy Smith in Jax. Plaxico/Steve Smith/Hakeem Nicks/ ODB in NY. Could turn our youngsters into a formidable group.

Now media saying our interest in Coughlin has intensified.... Honestly sounds as like we are panicking now after our 1st two guys signed elsewhere.....Again this is just how the media is making it sound like

To sdsu06: when Mike Pettine arrived in Cleveland they had a strong defense and a horrible offense. In his two years there the defense got progressively worse and is even worse than the Eagles. That's true despite the fact that almost all of their high draft picks (and they were HIGH picks) have been defensive players in the past 3 seasons. The offense, BTW, hasn't improved either. It might've gotten worse too. He had ONE season where he was responsible for a strong defense prior to that, in Buffalo. In NY, defense was Rex's baby and having great CBs certainly helped.

@PH - If the Eagles have to pay Bradford 18 mil or more a year then I say franchise him for 20 mil and see how he does for another year before you offer him big money long term. They can still draft a quarterback in the first round and then get rid of Sanchez.

I agree that if Bradford is looking for $18M we should just tag him. I think he could be a good starting QB in the league, not great but solid. I think if we could try and get him to sign a 3 year deal for between $36-$45M that would be a good deal for all parties. It's a step above Foles' 2 year $24.5M deal and below Carson Palmer's 3 year $49.5M deal, which is about where I see him fall right now. If the new coach doesn't like Bradford, and a QB doesn't fall to us at 13 they feel good about I would almost prefer we don't draft a QB with our 1st. It's not the ideal situation as I think we should lock up Bradford as he is the best option out there that we have control over (via the tag), but I don't want us to reach with our 1st we pass on Sam and don't like who's on the board. Which is why I started to try and look at other options if this was to happen and the best 3rd option (1st being Sam 2nd 1st round draft) I see is Sanchez for a year. I know a lot people might not think you need to think that far ahead but just look at the coach search option 1 looked to have been Gase as it was rumored we offered him a deal and gave him 5 days to decide (he took it to close a deal in MIA) option 2 McAdoo looked to be the guy and he is now looking to stay in NY, option 3 I'm sure will be " The Eagles got their guy they wanted all along in ...." I wish they would just be honest and say " Let's hope ... proves us right by entrusting him with the HC position of the Eagles, and at the same time prove everyone wrong for not grabbing him right away"

Well my prediction was we would have our HC today at some point so we shall see.....Right now sounds as though Coughlin might be the guy....Saying he is coming in for a face to face interview today contract talks maybe????

"If u really wanted Tom Coughlin as your coach, no reason to let him go interview w/49ers. Reinforces notion that #Eagles lost top target(s)." Tweet from Les Bowen kinda how I feel about it

>>Wrang:

OL / DL / WR

Don't need No STINKIN' QB.

Bradford will earn whatever the "going rate" is for a starting QB in the NFL in 2016. My preference--multi year contract with some performance incentives that put him up there when he play is "up there"

Too many fans remain ignorant of the DROP RATE of Eagles receivers. It dulled the offense and created an illusion that Bradford is a lesser QB.

Open your eyes. He is better than McNabb. Durability is an issue. Fearlessness & toughness were proven without a doubt in 2016.

Wood- I agree that the Eagles' WRs did not help Bradford look good at times, not to mention the O-Line was not the best (I can't count how many times did pressure come straight threw the middle of the line leaving no pocket to work from) but to say he is better than McNabb may be a little premature at this point. Sam has potential, but a long way to go to prove he is on the same level let alone better.

@johnreeves - Would you be willing to give up our 13th pick to bring Eli Manning over to the Eagles if Coughlin is the HC? LOL Stranger things have happened. Eli was not happy with Coughlin leaving and who knows if the Giants want to rebuild now that they hired a 38 year old head coach. Lurie wants to win now! Eli is signed for another 3 years.

. "Lurie wants to win now!" I don't think that is the case at all I feel as though we had 2 guys lined up that we wanted Gase and McAdoo but both fell through and now we are settling for the next best option of the guys we talked to and that is Coughlin even if it is 3 year or 5 years he can build a staff get and help build up a team that he can pass on to his replacement if need be possibly Shurmur or someone else

Coughlin could also coach up into his mid 70s maybe later if that is what he wanted to do.... Honestly again my time line for next HC is 5 years should get a feel by then if we can win a SB or not(might also have won 1 in that span) most coaches hired by teams win a SB within the first 5 years

Lurie wants to win now! I can see how Lurie would think that the Eagles could win now. We are competing against a team that won the division win 9 wins. Dallas has a China doll quarterback, The Giants have NO defense. So although Lurie may be correct that we can compete for a division title with the teams that are in our division, I think he is delusional if he thinks we are ready to compete for a Super Bowl. If the Eagles could get a strong offensive line in place this year, it may be possible to get to the playoffs and win a game.

@BG - The article I brought over for us fans to read stated that Coughlin wants to coach for 2 or 3 seasons yet. I think the most you could hope for is a 3 year contract. If we are close to competing for a Super Bowl, Coughlin may hang in there for another year or two.

2nd interview for Coughlin today. Imo hiring him is meh as there are some intriguing assistants still playing - Goodwin from the Cards and Bevell from the Hawks to name a few. At this point there is no upside to Coughlin, he is what he is so we know what we're getting - an average coach. BEFORE the 2 SB peeps start flaming, take a look at those teams NY won with and the state of the teams they played to get there - not very dominating or impressive. Timing, luck and good fortune paved the way. HIring Coughlin will give us a few avg seasons, for me I'd at least pick the minds of those candidates we can't interview yet.