Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KOJO

***OFFICIAL SF 49ers/Chip Kelly 1-and-done thread***

Recommended Posts

On 7/2/2016 at 10:20 AM, drewg22 said:

 

Back on topic!

Kelly still sucks! He hasn't won a single game yet!!

 

I don't know what SanFran was thinking, Hiring Kelly... they never should've fired Harbaugh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2016 at 10:35 PM, Dewit said:

 

 

Well supposedly Harbaugh was starting to clash with the FO and some players. Yet they turn around and hire Kelly who  just got fired for some of the same things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They fired Harbaugh because ultimately things had started to go a bit stale. Plus there were lots of reports of him falling out with the players and Baalke. Of course they've now hired the man who can rival him for upsetting people. What a great choice! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hate is ginormous.

It's gonna be sooooo funny in here if Chip manages to turn that team around.

The excuses alone should be classic.

:roll:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BronxEagle said:

The hate is ginormous.

It's gonna be sooooo funny in here if Chip manages to turn that team around.

The excuses alone should be classic.

:roll:

 

Chip's next winning season will be in the NCAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 1:48 PM, BronxEagle said:

The hate is ginormous.

It's gonna be sooooo funny in here if Chip manages to turn that team around.

The excuses alone should be classic.

:roll:

If his team wins 3 games you can wear your 49rs gear with pride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When 49ers coach Chip Kelly left Philadelphia, the efficacy of his offense was still very much in question, with many believing that NFL defenses are too quick and powerful for Kelly’s fast-paced but simplified scheme.

 

However, what many analysts fail to realize – including Kelly’s harshest critic, NFL network’s Heath Evans – is that Kelly has yet to coach a running quarterback in the NFL.

Both Nick Foles and Sam Bradford, his quarterbacks with the Eagles, were limited running. Now Kelly has two duel threat quarterbacks in Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick. This opens up an additional new chapter to Kelly’s offense. Gabbert doesn’t possess Kaepernick’s huge-play running potential, but his Pro Football Focus rushing grade was ranked 9th in only eight games.

Should Gabbert get a full season, there’s no reason to believe he could not capture the top grade. Putting Gabbert on the run, could also open up receivers down the field for him. Again, according to PFF, Gabbert was ranked 22nd in passing accuracy last season. However, by putting him in a running posture more often, Gabbert doesn’t need to be hugely accurate to complete passes to receivers who are likely to be wide open.

“Finding” is the key. When the 49ers put Kaepernick in position to run, he was often unable to make good decisions when to run or when to pass. Also, Kaepernick failed to spot receivers breaking open when defenders surrounded him because of his running ability.

So much of Kelly’s offense is predicated on the quarterback making sight adjustments at the line of scrimmage before the snap, and then becoming the equivalent of a point guard once the ball is in his hands. His quarterbacks are asked to make sage decisions on whether to drive into the defense with their legs or to pass.

Impromptu running plays became Kaepernick’s most lethal attribute when he was playing well. However, that element of his game waned when plays became more prescribed for him towards the end of the Jim Harbaugh era. For example, during read-options plays, Kaepernick was told to either run or pass, taking that crucial decision away from him. Both Kaepernick and Gabbert are likely to have far more freedom in Kelly’s scheme.

The ability to exploit the run threat will determine who eventually becomes the 49ers’ starter at quarterback. More importantly it will also determine if this additional chapter of Kelly’s offense, which hasn’t been revealed yet at the NFL level, can be effective.

 

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2016/07/11/what-critics-fail-to-grasp-about-chip-kellys-offense/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2016 at 3:58 PM, MR-CYN said:

If his team wins 3 games you can wear your 49rs gear with pride.

I don't have 49ers gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SBLs_Sold115 said:

When 49ers coach Chip Kelly left Philadelphia, the efficacy of his offense was still very much in question, with many believing that NFL defenses are too quick and powerful for Kelly’s fast-paced but simplified scheme.

 

However, what many analysts fail to realize – including Kelly’s harshest critic, NFL network’s Heath Evans – is that Kelly has yet to coach a running quarterback in the NFL.

Both Nick Foles and Sam Bradford, his quarterbacks with the Eagles, were limited running. Now Kelly has two duel threat quarterbacks in Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick. This opens up an additional new chapter to Kelly’s offense. Gabbert doesn’t possess Kaepernick’s huge-play running potential, but his Pro Football Focus rushing grade was ranked 9th in only eight games.

Should Gabbert get a full season, there’s no reason to believe he could not capture the top grade. Putting Gabbert on the run, could also open up receivers down the field for him. Again, according to PFF, Gabbert was ranked 22nd in passing accuracy last season. However, by putting him in a running posture more often, Gabbert doesn’t need to be hugely accurate to complete passes to receivers who are likely to be wide open.

“Finding” is the key. When the 49ers put Kaepernick in position to run, he was often unable to make good decisions when to run or when to pass. Also, Kaepernick failed to spot receivers breaking open when defenders surrounded him because of his running ability.

So much of Kelly’s offense is predicated on the quarterback making sight adjustments at the line of scrimmage before the snap, and then becoming the equivalent of a point guard once the ball is in his hands. His quarterbacks are asked to make sage decisions on whether to drive into the defense with their legs or to pass.

Impromptu running plays became Kaepernick’s most lethal attribute when he was playing well. However, that element of his game waned when plays became more prescribed for him towards the end of the Jim Harbaugh era. For example, during read-options plays, Kaepernick was told to either run or pass, taking that crucial decision away from him. Both Kaepernick and Gabbert are likely to have far more freedom in Kelly’s scheme.

The ability to exploit the run threat will determine who eventually becomes the 49ers’ starter at quarterback. More importantly it will also determine if this additional chapter of Kelly’s offense, which hasn’t been revealed yet at the NFL level, can be effective.

 

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2016/07/11/what-critics-fail-to-grasp-about-chip-kellys-offense/

 

I am very interested in seeing the 49ers offense. I want to see how it works with Kaepernick under center, and while they are talking about making 'sage' decisions, it is really about simplifying the offense, which should work for Kaep.

 

I also want to see if Kelly learned anything from his time here in Philly. I do believe his offense has potential to work in the NFL, but it is predicated on having the correct personnel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't pay QBs to run, after kap or Gabbert get knocked out a few times his offense will stall once again. His offense also needs a QB to make quick accurate throws and decisions which neither of them can. Funny everyone keeps saying chip needs a guy with running ability but, his whole time with the eagles he didn't bother trying to aquire one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:11 PM, SBLs_Sold115 said:

However, what many analysts fail to realize – including Kelly’s harshest critic, NFL network’s Heath Evans – is that Kelly has yet to coach a running quarterback in the NFL.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2016/07/11/what-critics-fail-to-grasp-about-chip-kellys-offense/

 

Quote

 

 

Is Michael Vick Ruining Chip Kelly's High-Octane Offense?

Is Michael Vick Ruining Chip Kelly's High-Octane Offense?

29.9K
Reads
368
Comments

The honeymoon is already over. The Philadelphia Eagles are now 1-2 under new head coach/offensive king of the universe Chip Kelly and on the path toward 1-3 with a trip to Denver on the Week 4 horizon. 

The Eagles have lost back-to-back games for myriad reasons. The defense inexplicably can't stop run-of-the-mill slot receivers on crossing routes. The offensive line has been far from special despite the returns of Jason Peters, Jason Kelce and Todd Herremans. There have been costly special teams gaffes and too many missed tackles.

But the biggest takeaway from Thursday night's 26-16 home loss to former head coach Andy Reid and his Kansas City Chiefs is that Michael Vick simply isn't reliable or consistent enough to take this team anywhere close to the promised land.

Vick is 33 years old. Quarterbacks don't evolve or improve much at that age. Anyone who thought he'd turn it around under Kelly and suddenly become a good decision-maker had midnight green-colored glasses on. 

For two weeks worth of fool's gold against the Washington Redskins and San Diego Chargers and their mediocre defenses, we saw Vick succeed in Kelly's offense. But as soon as Kansas City's deep, talented and feisty D came to town Thursday, everything changed. 

 

 
 
 
  • crop_exact_chipno.jpg?h=255&q=33&w=340Power Ranking NFC East with Giants, Redskins, and Eagles Tied for 1st
 

 

We saw Vick's familiar foibles re-appear.

We saw him stare down tight end Brent Celek on an amateur-hour pick-six less than four minutes into the game:

 

vickugly_original.jpg?1379655007
We saw him turn the ball over two other times, including on a sloppy second-quarter interception that featured a trifecta of bad quarterbacking—bad decision, bad throw and bad footwork:

 

 

vickugly1_original.jpg?1379655029
We saw him wilt under pressure, as he's been known to do time and again. He took five sacks—which Kelly won't tolerate—and again was hit far too often. 

 

Even on what was, to his credit, a pretty touchdown pass to Jason Avant, Vick was crushed by Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson:

 

somethingnew_original.jpg?1379655451
Ultimately, he completed only 13 of his 30 passes. The cherry on top came when he injured his ankle while being sacked, then fumbling to essentially sum up Philadelphia's night in the final moments of the loss:

 

 

vickugly3_original.jpg?1379655326
In the aftermath of that high-octane season-opening victory over the Redskins in Week 1, nobody was asking if the infamously mistake-prone Vick would suddenly re-appear and wreck what the Eagles seemed to be building. The only question, at that point, was whether the Eagles could keep Vick and his weapons healthy. After all, he was limping during the second half after taking a slew of hits in that game. 

 

His health is still in jeopardy. The guy has missed 13 games in three seasons due to injury and is now absorbing more hits than ever. But it also doesn't look as though Vick will be able to sustain the prowess he displayed in that Monday Night Football opener. 

 

Still holding on for too long...
  Time to pass NFL rank
Vick, Thursday night 3.22 seconds 2nd out of 2 (Smith: 2.84)
Vick, 2013 2.95 seconds 30th out of 33
Vick, 2012 2.77 seconds 35th out of 38

Pro Football Focus

We shouldn't be surprised. Vick was never considered to be an especially good fit for Kelly's offense. Frankly, had there been a better option in this year's draft, he'd probably be long gone. He was the least rotten apple in a bad batch. 

 

He was never cut out for this, which is part of the reason the Eagles have already been forced to get away from Kelly's bread and butter. The novelty hasn't necessarily worn off, but Vick just doesn't have the ability to run such an economical and dynamic offense at the NFL level. 

 

Is Michael Vick a bad fit for Chip Kelly's offense?

Yes, Thursday night was proof of that. No, this was just one bad game. Submit Vote vote to see results
 

Is Michael Vick a bad fit for Chip Kelly's offense?

  • Yes, Thursday night was proof of that.

    39.8%
     
  • No, this was just one bad game.

    60.2%
     
  • Total votes: 5,060

 

Remember all the plays these guys were supposed to run? The Eagles have now run 198 plays this season, which on a per-game basis is right around the league average. Their opponents have run 226. 

The pace has slowed, and the shine has come off. They're turning it over now, too, and partly as a result, they've controlled the ball only 34 percent of the time in their last two losses. 

I'm sure that for as long as Vick is able to stay healthy, he'll have some nice moments under Kelly's guidance in a talented offense, but you can't teach a 33-year-old quarterback new tricks. He's just too reckless and simply isn't disciplined enough to help an already-flawed team contend in 2013.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1780663-is-michael-vick-ruining-chip-kellys-high-octane-offense

 

I'll just leave this right here for anyone that hasn't watched Chip Kelly coach the Eagles...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, these points have been beaten to death.  Chip had a running QB in Vick, and chose to not re-sign him and stick with Foles.  Every QB he brought in has not been a running QB.  Matt Barkley, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Ugh, these points have been beaten to death.  Chip had a running QB in Vick, and chose to not re-sign him and stick with Foles.  Every QB he brought in has not been a running QB.  Matt Barkley, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford.  

Exactly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Ugh, these points have been beaten to death.  Chip had a running QB in Vick, and chose to not re-sign him and stick with Foles.  Every QB he brought in has not been a running QB.  Matt Barkley, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford.  

Vick was hardly a "running" QB at that point in his career. Dude was getting caught from behind by linemen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually pulling for Chip. I've always respected the 9ers organization and like to see them do well and I'd also like to see Chip realize the potential people keep saying he has. If he does have that potential, I'd like to see it play out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, L.E. said:

I'm actually pulling for Chip. I've always respected the 9ers organization and like to see them do well and I'd also like to see Chip realize the potential people keep saying he has. If he does have that potential, I'd like to see it play out. 

The curiosity in me would also like to see if he can reach that "genius" status everyone likes to throw at him. This time he's been dealt a tough hand with the niners. They are in disarray on both the offensive and defensive side. So we really get to see what his chops are made of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2016 at 4:32 PM, GoodGooglyMoogly said:

Vick was hardly a "running" QB at that point in his career. Dude was getting caught from behind by linemen.

HUH? Vick finished in the top 10 among QBs with 306 yards in just 7 appearances in 2013. His YPC was top 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, L.E. said:

I'm actually pulling for Chip. I've always respected the 9ers organization and like to see them do well and I'd also like to see Chip realize the potential people keep saying he has. If he does have that potential, I'd like to see it play out. 

His system works in college. It will not work in today's NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously this season will tell a lot as its a new team and it will be interesting to see if he's made any changes to his philosophy.

The past 3 years would suggest that he won't but maybe he's had chance to reflect. Maybe he's realised the error of his ways and will make subtle changes?

I don't think he will because he seems to me far too arrogant to accept that he was wrong. And one of his biggest failings was his inability to deal with big personalities who had a voice. It's all very well dealing with college kids who generally are focused on listening and learning... It's another to then deal with players who have been around the NFL a while and will challenge back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People now starting to soften up on Chip.

:roll:

Good to see not everyone in here are close-minded morons.  :lol:

 

 

 

 

Sorry, Drew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The k gun, which our current O.C. ran in buffalo and the uptempo that Cincinnati ran in the 80s got both teams to a Super Bowl. But both had seasoned nfl coaches.  I actually hope Pedersen runs some uptempo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BronxEagle said:

People now starting to soften up on Chip.

:roll:

Good to see not everyone in here are close-minded morons.  :lol:

 

 

 

 

Sorry, Drew.

I was ok with Chip being fired, but I was also prepared for him to stick around another season. I try to be fair with any criticism of Chip. For instance, there were two major incidences with Malaysian airlines flights in 2014. Chip was fired in 2015, and since his firing, there have been no more issues with Malaysian airlines flights. That can't be coincidence, right? :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BronxEagle said:

People now starting to soften up on Chip.

:roll:

Good to see not everyone in here are close-minded morons.  :lol:

 

 

 

 

Sorry, Drew.

Do I need to pay rent for living in your head so much?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, drewg22 said:

Do I need to pay rent for living in your head so much?

Like I said...   close-minded.

:nonono:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites