Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KOJO

***OFFICIAL SF 49ers/Chip Kelly 1-and-done thread***

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's true they did... They stacked the box and stopped Gurley. And of course the Rams really have nothing if Gurley is shut down. And yeah there was a period in the 3rd quarter where literally the Niners were going 3 and out time after time and taking no time off the clock! Reminded me so much of the last few years. 

I thought the 9ers looked decent for the talent they had but, they won't play the rams every week. If they play any other team the way the 9ers played the rams then they will be in trouble 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I thought the 9ers looked decent for the talent they had but, they won't play the rams every week. If they play any other team the way the 9ers played the rams then they will be in trouble 

I don't think expectations are too high in SF right now so maybe now they will be a little bit more positive. I mean they should get two wins at least because well let's face it they play the Rams twice! But no I agree with you buddy they will still struggle this year because they lean on that D far too much. And that's OK but you need an offense to be serviceable and I didn't see much different in Chips offense to what we have seen the last few years... It'll be found out by better teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BronxEagle said:

It's Jeff Fisher.

How the F does this guy still have a head coaching job in The NFL?

I think teams hire him to ruin QBs.

Luckily, Steve McNair (RIP) was having none of his crap.

If you need somebody to be the coach of a team moving from one city to another, I guess he's your guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Next up is Carolina then... On paper a game they should lose but now I'm not so sure! Carolina really didn't play well on Thursday and the Niners did look good yesterday.

Still think Carolina will sneak it but that SF defense does look really good.

 

Panthers should win.  They are on max rest at home, 49ers had to play the late game Monday and travel cross-country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Panthers should win.  They are on max rest at home, 49ers had to play the late game Monday and travel cross-country.

Yeah that's true they should and I do think they will but it'll be closer than I thought based on week one games which I know isn't a great barometer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be interesting to see how a real team defenses Chip Kelly's offense tho'. Rivera is no slouch in finding a team's weakness and exploiting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah that's true they should and I do think they will but it'll be closer than I thought based on week one games which I know isn't a great barometer.

Denver still has a good defense, and Carolina came a missed FG away from winning on the road. As long as Cam has his bearings intact, Carolina has no reason to let the game stay close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Denver still has a good defense, and Carolina came a missed FG away from winning on the road. As long as Cam has his bearings intact, Carolina has no reason to let the game stay close. 

Yeah that's true... I had forgotten that Carolina had the chance and should have really won that game! So yeah at home you have to fancy them. And that D will look to shut down Hyde and that is recipe for disaster for SF! Because it won't be pretty if Gabbert needs to win the game through the air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah that's true... I had forgotten that Carolina had the chance and should have really won that game! So yeah at home you have to fancy them. And that D will look to shut down Hyde and that is recipe for disaster for SF! Because it won't be pretty if Gabbert needs to win the game through the air. 

Gabbert didn't look as bad as he did in preseason but, he still wasn't great we will see what happens when they face a team that has a good defense and can make them pay on offense as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Gabbert didn't look as bad as he did in preseason but, he still wasn't great we will see what happens when they face a team that has a good defense and can make them pay on offense as well

Yeah that's my thing... He didn't look bad at all but on a team that dominated he still didn't even throw for 200 yards. Now I know stats aren't the be all and end all but if they need him to win them games this year they are going to be in trouble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah that's my thing... He didn't look bad at all but on a team that dominated he still didn't even throw for 200 yards. Now I know stats aren't the be all and end all but if they need him to win them games this year they are going to be in trouble. 

I'm sure they will have to put the ball in his hands to win a lot. Like I said earlier not too many teams like the rams that make your day easy on defense so all Gabbert had to do was play check down to get them in scoring position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bwestbrook36 said:

I'm sure they will have to put the ball in his hands to win a lot. Like I said earlier not too many teams like the rams that make your day easy on defense so all Gabbert had to do was play check down to get them in scoring position. 

That's true... But then check down is a speciality of Chip so we should really expect to see that a lot! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's true they did... They stacked the box and stopped Gurley. And of course the Rams really have nothing if Gurley is shut down. And yeah there was a period in the 3rd quarter where literally the Niners were going 3 and out time after time and taking no time off the clock! Reminded me so much of the last few years. 

It's now become obvious that either the Rams, or the Browns will have the worst record this season.  Is Jeff Fisher doing his best to get out of this train wreck?   It's as if Jeff Fisher is acting as there's a gun pointed at the back of his head.  Why did Fisher not let Goff play his first game in the NFL  as promised months ago during the NFL draft?   I hate to stumble over myself with glee, but the Eagles actually picked the best QB in the 2016 draft!?!?!  Was it the hard knocks episode when Jared Goff didn't know where the sun set, and when?  No NFL combine performance can overcome ignorance, or stupidity. Goff is not a fan of NASA or space, look out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Iggles said:

It's now become obvious that either the Rams, or the Browns will have the worst record this season.  Is Jeff Fisher doing his best to get out of this train wreck?   It's as if Jeff Fisher is acting as there's a gun pointed at the back of his head.  Why did Fisher not let Goff play his first game in the NFL  as promised months ago during the NFL draft?   I hate to stumble over myself with glee, but the Eagles actually picked the best QB in the 2016 draft!?!?!  Was it the hard knocks episode when Jared Goff didn't know where the sun set, and when?  No NFL combine performance can overcome ignorance, or stupidity. Goff is not a fan of NASA or space, look out.

I think many before the draft felt that Wentz was the best QB but that Goff was more NFL ready... Not sure why but that's what everyone seemed to be saying so that's why the Rams took him.

As for Fisher not starting him, well he didn't look good in preseason and with their o line and receivers I think Fisher felt it best to sit Goff for now. I don't actually think that was the wrong decision either... Just it didn't look great last night when Keenum really sucked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think many before the draft felt that Wentz was the best QB but that Goff was more NFL ready... Not sure why but that's what everyone seemed to be saying so that's why the Rams took him.

As for Fisher not starting him, well he didn't look good in preseason and with their o line and receivers I think Fisher felt it best to sit Goff for now. I don't actually think that was the wrong decision either... Just it didn't look great last night when Keenum really sucked. 

Goff is NFL ready to stand on the sidelines.  This was all about politics, and the Eagles have benefited from it.  Had the Rams stayed in St. Louis, they would've drafted Wentz.  The Rams knew that they had to draft the local kid from Cal to fill the many seats of the LA Coliseum.  It's a very shallow move, which means the current Rams organization thinks the LA fanbase are shallow fans. The problem is the QB they drafted can't usurp the previous dregs of the current QB chart?   Thank you Cleveland, and thank you Los Angeles.    The Eagles have needed a big break for a very long time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha at one point during today's game my Niner friend was gushing about how good they looked and how they were staying with Carolina. 

Let's he honest it was like fighting a much shorter guy. Hold them at arms length, occasionally lower your arm to give them a good slap and you might get hit back once or twice.

In fairness this is the same Niner fan who spent all of last year telling me that the Panthers were a really average team... Yet today they were a great team that the Niners were staying with!

Some people!!! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:16 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think many before the draft felt that Wentz was the best QB but that Goff was more NFL ready... Not sure why but that's what everyone seemed to be saying so that's why the Rams took him.

As for Fisher not starting him, well he didn't look good in preseason and with their o line and receivers I think Fisher felt it best to sit Goff for now. I don't actually think that was the wrong decision either... Just it didn't look great last night when Keenum really sucked. 

Goff was (supposedly) only more pro ready than Wentz due to the competition. Never mind that the offense Cal runs is far from a pro style offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Don Corleone said:

 

I don't always necessarily buy in to yards per play though. Sure OK you need a deep threat but Smith gives them that and did that today...

If your offense is based around the run game and controlling the clock then it's OK to have a low yards per attempt? Look at our running game last week, it was under 4 yards per carry but it was more than enough to help us control the game and keep the chains moving.

Of course... Chips offense as we all know isn't based around that! So yeah that is a problem for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zenclaybourne said:

But they're running more plays, so that's a win right? :unsure:

About 70 plays a game, ran like 68 last year and around 70 in 2014.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Don Corleone said:

About 70 plays a game, ran like 68 last year and around 70 in 2014.

So 68x5=340 > 4.4x70=308? :lol: That's actually worse than I was expecting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites