Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KOJO

***OFFICIAL SF 49ers/Chip Kelly 1-and-done thread***

Peter King interviewed Chip for his column

MMQB: Does part of you feel like you’ve got to prove yourself as an NFL head coach?

Kelly: Not coming after what I’ve just gone through. I don’t look at it like that. I think you want to prove yourself every day. I want to prove myself after my first year, I want to prove myself after my second year, after my third year … I look at it that I landed in heaven, and I am really excited to be in San Francisco. The organization is first-class, and it is about excellence. We’ve won 20 division titles since 1970, six NFC championships, five Super Bowls. You walk down the Bill Walsh Way on the way into the building and you’ll see five Super Bowl trophies in the lobby. It’s an unbelievable organization. How it is set up, the York family, what they do, how they treat people, I was blown away to be able to be part of that.

MMQB: Do you feel battered after the Philadelphia experience?

Kelly: No, not at all. I coach football in the NFL. I have one of the greatest jobs in the world. I don’t think I would ever feel battered.

MMQB: Biggest lesson learned in the NFL so far?

Kelly: Everybody has got to be on the same page.

MMQB: Players, front office, owner?

Kelly: Everybody, really, but it’s really important with the front office.

MMQB: How far away are the Niners from being really good again?

Kelly: I don't know. The unique thing about the CBA is I feel like I have been there for a while, but I don’t know our players. [The 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement mandates that new coaches are not allowed to have significant contact with their players until April, and the NFL's new coaches have their first contact with players today.] All you are allowed to do is introductory superficial conversations, Hey, how are you doing? So we really don't know what exactly we have. I mean, I know we have a lot of talented players, but until you work with them …

And I think the landscape changes even in the division, who is adding and subtracting players. You look at the Rams. James Laurinaitis isn’t there anymore, Chris Long isn’t there anymore. But Aaron Donald still is there though. So when you go through it, it will be interesting because in this league so much changes on a yearly basis that looking at film from a year ago and looking at it moving forward, you just go, Wow, it’s changed. And it happens fast. This team three years ago was on the 5-yard line going in at the end of the Super Bowl, that close to winning it all. Three years later, I’m the third coach they’ve had since. You can win the NFC championship one year, then win four games the next year. Things change fast.

MMQB: Cliché question, but I wonder when you look back at what you did at Oregon, and how the pro game is different from the college game, what’s the biggest difference?

Kelly: In the first game of our 2010 season we beat New Mexico 72-0. No one beats anyone in the NFL 72-0. I think 55 percent of the games last year were decided by seven points or less, 24 percent by three points or less. It’s really intriguing, to be honest. Smaller rosters, obviously. We’d dress 100 guys for home games at Oregon. A lot of that was we used dressing for games as kind of a reward for guys who worked hard in the program. But now, with 53-man rosters, and you’re not even dressing all of those, you’ve got to use key starters on special teams. And when you eliminate eight offensive linemen and two quarterbacks and most of your defensive linemen, that means you have a pretty small pool to choose from for all of your special teams. That’s very big.

Then I’d say the talent is the biggest factor after that. It’s so close. You look at college football. There’s a saying that the top teams in the country—Alabama, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin—they win nine games in February [through recruiting]. They pick the players they want. Here, of course, you can’t do that. So you have to find other ways to win. You’ve got to be smart about who you draft, who you develop and how you coach them. That’s the great challenge. I love the challenge of it.

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeBR  Source: #49ers QB Colin Kaepernick will not take pay cut, nor will team pay off part of deal to make trade happen. No deal with #Broncos.

Confirmed: Kaep has said No to any pay cut. Doesn't mean the Broncos are done trying. They would need to cut/move Clady+?? (Talib?) To fit.

So now he is saying you have to be smart about who you draft?? Didn't he say with the eagles it was an overrated crap shoot? Lol, at least he learned something at our expense

So now he is saying you have to be smart about who you draft?? Didn't he say with the eagles it was an overrated crap shoot? Lol, at least he learned something at our expense

He said the hype around the draft was unfair to the players because of the expectation to be great as a rookie.  He said the draft gets so much attention and people panic and change their boards based on the combine and all that.  He correctly indicated that 1/3 of 1st round picks are busts and the rate gets worse by round.  

He never thought the draft wasn't important, at least I never recall him indicating anything like that.

He said the hype around the draft was unfair to the players because of the expectation to be great as a rookie. He said the draft gets so much attention and people panic and change their boards based on the combine and all that. He correctly indicated that 1/3 of 1st round picks are busts and the rate gets worse by round.

He never thought the draft wasn't important, at least I never recall him indicating anything like that.

ah ok then I misunderstood.

"Retired" 49ers RT Anthony Davis did not report for the beginning of the offseason program on Monday.

Davis, who sat out 2015, has said he'll be filing for reinstatement "later this year." The 26-year-old tackle appears content to sit out the more tedious parts of the offseason before resuming his NFL career. We'll see how that sits with taskmaster coach Chip Kelly.

lol

Kaep showed up at 1st day today.  Chip gave him an ipad with the playbook on it.

Probably could have just given him a paper napkin.

Ok Colin, we need you to really work extra hard to get the offense down.

By the way, we think you are garbage and can't wait to get rid of you.

It took them about 3 months to be a real Chip Kelly team.

Ok Colin, we need you to really work extra hard to get the offense down.

By the way, we think you are garbage and can't wait to get rid of you.

It took them about 3 months to be a real Chip Kelly team.

:lol:

Awkwardness? Instability? On a Chip Kelly team? It's like the word "culture" has no meaning.

Chip always preaching culture, ironic because he's the main problem with the culture. He smeared desean to no end but I was really happy to see desean get the last laugh

Chip always preaching culture, ironic because he's the main problem with the culture. He smeared desean to no end but I was really happy to see desean get the last laugh

:huh:

Chip always preaching culture, ironic because he's the main problem with the culture. He smeared desean to no end

Smh..... Chip went out of his way to lie and say that Desean never was a problem and always did everything he was told.

greenpassion, on 08 Apr 2016 - 3:55 PM, said:

You mean the time Craccpot was taunting Eagles fans at the Linc?  

Chip will be fine for at least a year or two, there's no talent to get rid of so no one is going to get upset about what he's doing

Chip will be fine for at least a year or two, there's no talent to get rid of so no one is going to get upset about what he's doing

plus he isnt allowed to talk to any of the players yet so he wont have the chance to decide which one he thinks doesn't fit his culture until next year

:roll:

When did he smear DeSean?

Your hate has made you delusional.

Relax.

:roll:

When did he smear DeSean?

Your hate has made you delusional.

Relax.

see now these are the people you should be attacking Bronx lol. I may hate chip but, i dont make up crap to make him seem worse

see now these are the people you should be attacking Bronx lol. I may hate chip but, i dont make up crap to make him seem worse

That's right...Chip didn't "smear" Jackson. He released him for being to small, or was it because he didn't fit the culture? Or both. Either way, it was a lie. Which, as we now know, is pretty typical for Kelly.

Umm yeah let's just act like chip never came up with the gang affiliations Crapola. I know it was nj.com that actually posted the story but chip being the boss was themain reason it all went down.

The fact that all the gang stuff was never an issue before or after just Confirmed the stupidity and petty nature of this organization