Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Can Free Agency Help Bolster O-Line?

Conklin can start at G immediately, eventual T. I like Hunter too. Our only chance to get him would be at 13 and for us it just doesn't float

I was expecting some signings, suprised they're letting Carroll test FA. Do we really need another hole to fill? Guess they have their eye on someone in FA.

>>c-ham: to me Conklin or Decker make most sense.

On D, Eagles do not have an elite DE. Graham & Curry may bring out the best in each other. So, DE is a possibility.

Hunter Henry is my "shiny object"--but--a TE at 13? And, I am the guy that believe in the 2TE set more than most. Yes. I want Ertz X 2. But at 13, no.

QB. No. My allergy

Take Conklin first round, and then I don't care which round, but, they should REALLY look at Sterling Shepard for WR... If ya'll haven't seen him you might want to look at some tape... Has incredible hands..And then bring in Brandon Brooks as a free agent Guard... 

I think that Andre Johnson is one of top 5 most talented WRs to EVER play in the NFL. I would love to see the Eagles add him to their roster. I was disappointed in his lack of effort this past season at times. It appeared he had "cashed it in." He said today that he wants to keep playing. I do worry he doesn't care enough anymore, but for the right price, he would add something to the a Eagles young WR Corp. I am not impressed with Huff. Agholor did not make the jump to the NFL. The game was clearly too big for him. Maybe his 2nd year is different. JMatt is VERY inconsistent catching the ball, vital skill for that position. Andre Johnson! Make it happen FO. OFFER HIM AN INCENTIVE LADEN DEAL.

Several posters here have made comments that THIS team can compete for a championship now. Do we REALLY believe that? A 7-9 team one year whose roster remains mostly in tact is good and bad. Are these players good enough? The defense isn't good enough to carry this team. Bradford has yet to show he is a franchise QB, or even an above average QB in the NFL. I LOVE THE OPTIMISM. I wish I had more of it myself in regards to this team. I'm happy to see Chipper gone, but I don't think this roster is good enough. Yes they will add some rookies, but it's not enough to convince me yet. Joemas, Woody, gbfl, 93, DC, others, what is your take on this roster and the upcoming season?

Cunningham, freak, mjk too.

Woody... you need to educate me on what "conservative" means when drafting a player????

MJK, my take on the roster. The 2015 roster was not good enough to be a serious contender. But you can easily argue that it was better than a 7-9 record. Dumb mistakes on offense, really pop warner level. On defense, I'm a big fan of the 3-4 ... see the teams that made the final 4 in the AFC, especially Denver with the stud OLBs. But I didn't like the way Davis used it, way too conservative, and you can use Kendricks as the example. He is good when asked to be aggressive, stinks when asked to sit back in coverage. So, IMO, the change in regimes should energize and help the Eagles in 2016. But it also did in 2013. So what does that mean? At our best, I don't think we can make the playoff run of beating the 3 or 4 elite teams in order to wi na SB. But for sure they can win the division and possibly a playoff game. But that does nothing for me unless they build off of it going forward. A key thing to remember, with FA coming up and the draft, we could lock down another 4-7 pieces which could make the team jump into contender status soon. A healthy Bradford, who is actually entering his prime now, and could be working with his best group of teammates, may surprise you. Lots of ifs.

Sorry ... last post was for Sen ... not MJK...LOL

When Vermeil, Buddy and AR started here, you could see the momentum building year after year as the rosters were built the right way in order to keep improving. When you saw Rhodes and Chip here, they seemed to be in too much of a rush to win now, and not build the roster correctly. Signs you see with that ... forcing too many FA moves ... drafting for need instead of adding to a strength if it was the best player in that draft spot. The OL or QB should have been addressed in 2014, but with the success both positions had in 2013, it wasn't. Bad move! Of course you could also say Jaws, Randall and McNabb being set at the QB position helped big time in building those rosters. So that's where I'd like to see either Bradford nail down the spot for good here, or a new guy in here that becomes the guy for a while. The key here if its a drafted guy, is not to force it.

Joemas, Bradford is still a huge question mark after 6 years in the league. That actually makes me more nervous than excited. I realize that every team that doesn't have an elite QB is looking for one and they are not easy to find. I wonder how many years it takes to recognize one either has it or doesn't. The jury seems to be still out on Bradford and points to his potential, even after 6 seasons (yes, he missed 2, but doesn't that hurt his potential). Ironically, I am ok with the signing as I'm not sure there is anything out there better available. I mean, the skins must think like me to give Cousins $22.5 million. Yikes! He won the division, but the NFC East was plain awful this past season. Expect the hated Cowpies to control the division next year unless they screw up the draft or Romo gets hurt again.

I'm not convinced the Eagles can compete yet.

Cook --Nope I don't see this team as a contender. I like the coaching hires for the most part, especially Pederson and Schwartz. I guess I look at it opposite from you somewhat though. I believe the D is close. I think not running that stupid hurry up O all the time will benefit the D. It's not just the physical toll of all those snaps the D players had to deal with. It made for that much more film to dissect. As a DC(or any coach really) you have to self scout. You also have to adapt to how opposing coaches figure out to attack you. It's a game of adjustments. Davis had to adjust twice as much as a normal DC. So that leads to some failure in it's own right. So getting rid of Chip's O is going to be a boon for the D. Schwartz has a proven track record and is a knowledgable student of the NFL game. So the D needs a slot corner. Probably one of the cheaper easier fixes, position wise. The D needs a reliable other S. Free agency is stocked with vets. So I don't see many of the free agent S as having a ton of leverage. Should be able to find a decent S for a very reasonable price. Going from 3-4 to 4-3 you have to think he can sort out the Lbers. Like I was mentioning earlier too much film exposed and stretched the ILBers beyond any capabilities last season. Schwartz D isn't going to be stretched like that. Sorry Davis but it's flat out a better scheme. I think a rotational DT is needed. Nothing crazy hard to find and afford. Then it just comes down to having an elite pass rusher. That's the tough find. But really it's a matter of having a quality scheme with quality coaching without having to play a ridiculous amount of snaps. Everybody gets better! The D already is once Chip is out. The O I'm not as optimistic about. We have one WR(JMatt is a stud in the making). TE position is strong. I still don't believe in paying three of the top 12 RBs. Bradford is ok but doesn't **** away like some. The Oline is in shambles. Kelce became a super wealthy prima donna. He talks the talk more than walking the walk. He's undersized so to excel he needs that chip on his shoulder. Lane has to move to LT. He isn't ready for that. Peters health is a question mark. So is there one position on the Oline that inspires confidence right now going in to the season? I have to think the O coaching (not on the level of knowledge and experience as Schwartz)needs more time to work things out as well.

I really liked the Jenkins extension; Celek and Ertz; Curry; Etc. Too bad they don't intend to re- sign Carroll as he incontrovertibly outplayed Maxwell. The games are won on the line of scrimmage. Go get the best O and D linemen.

Mario Williams is too expensive for the Eagles. He is interesting. Very talented but visibly takes too many plays off. Of course I say that about WRs too. When watching a game live, I get so frustrated at the WRs loafing. You don't see it watching the game on TV.

Cunningham, that's funny! I couldn't figure out what you were trying to say there. Thanks for clearing that up. Haha

4-3 makes more sense to me. So many reasons I can make for either a 4-3 or 3-4. Either way to me in today's NFL it's mostly about goaline D and Nickle(or dime) that are important. A 4-3 scheme plays better towards those personnel wise and just simplicity wise. Brandon Graham isn't spending all this practice time worrying about his backpedal in coverage...and so on. The Dline doesn't have to two gap on first down and then attack on a known passing down. It's all playing downhill. Simplified to practice perfection instead of trying to be decent at variety.

>>>Joemas:

Jon Harris

Mike Mamula

Danny Watkins

Marcus Smith

Not conservative picks

Lane Johnson

Conservative pick.

This is 13---almost a top ten pick.

No reaching.

>>>Joemas:

Jon Harris

Mike Mamula

Danny Watkins

Marcus Smith

Not conservative picks

Lane Johnson

Conservative pick.

No reaching.

No reaching applies to me: I think Hunter Henry TE will have a great impact in the NFL. Picking him at 13---?? Even if he is another Gronkowski or Gates. Nope. Conklin or maybe Decker.

I just have to vent. I listen to talk radio daily, 97.5, The Fanatic. I can't believe how they crucify Bradford on a daily basis. You would think he was the worst thing to come around since the Salem witch trials. My opinion, he was a great rookie, got hurt, didn't play for a while, came to the Eagles and took half a season to get acclimated to being back on the field. Then he started to show some good things. All the broadcasters want to get rid of him. Why the h*ll doesn't anybody want to give him a chance? This is a very tough town to play in. OK, i'm done.

>>>Joemas:

Jon Harris

Mike Mamula

Danny Watkins

Marcus Smith

Not conservative picks

Lane Johnson

Conservative pick.

No reaching.

How was Lane a conservative pick? He didn't move to OT until 2011 and played his last 2 years at Oklahoma as an OT. Before that he played DE and TE. It just so happens we got the better end of that pick, because when you look at the other O-Linemen(Fisher & Joeckel) that were taken before Lane, they haven't panned out.