Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Can Free Agency Help Bolster O-Line?

>>>DC: wow. Wasn't aware that Joeckl or Fisher were riding the pines or out of football.

Lane Johnson wasn't a "reach"

Danny Warkins or Jon Harris were a "reach"

My boy Hunter Henry is probably a reach with 13.

My motto for this FA is "If the price is right"  Sure would love to see us sign maybe Jeff Allen of the Chiefs who can play LG or RT.  Put him at LG initially, switch him to RT when Johnson goes to LT and then have Peters at LG.  Would solve a lot of our OL problems with one signing.  Could sign a top rated G in the draft and let him mature  by having a journeyman at RG who may be on the roster or one we can sign at a lower price to plug that gap until the drafted guard is ready. Maybe we can land Allen because of Pederson.  I looked at Thurmond as a stop gap so we'll need a safety.  Keep Rowe at CB, he learned more trying to cover Megatron last year than he would have anywhere else and continuity is what we need. Thurmond was never a speedster and he has missed some tackles at times.  Lets look at FA for a safety, if price is right. Perhaps, we may have a budding one on our roster already in JaCoury Shepherd.  I'd love to see how he might fit here. Always liked him since day 1.  Have to remember to leave our options open and not go too hog wild in FA.  We still have Cox and Logan to sign. Go Eagles!!

>>>DC: wow. Wasn't aware that Joeckl or Fisher were riding the pines or out of football.

Lane Johnson wasn't a "reach"

Danny Warkins or Jon Harris were a "reach"

My boy Hunter Henry is probably a reach with 13.

Fisher and Joeckel have both struggled, Lane wasn't a reach, but he wasn't a conservative pick either. I never said they were riding the pines or they were out of football, to date, they haven't panned out. Yes, Hunter Henry at 13 would be a reach, he can probably be had in the 2nd round.

I just have to vent. I listen to talk radio daily, 97.5, The Fanatic. I can't believe how they crucify Bradford on a daily basis. You would think he was the worst thing to come around since the Salem witch trials. My opinion, he was a great rookie, got hurt, didn't play for a while, came to the Eagles and took half a season to get acclimated to being back on the field. Then he started to show some good things. All the broadcasters want to get rid of him. Why the h*ll doesn't anybody want to give him a chance? This is a very tough town to play in. OK, i'm done.

Not all are against Bradford. I guess you are not listening to the afternoon show??

Woody....I don't get you, you want the safe pick by not reaching but you consistently seem to be forcing the idea of only the OL players as safe picks makes no sense to me.....Shouldn't we just be looking at the best player at 13.....Treadwell at 13 I would take, Myles Jack if he somehow fell I would take, Hargreaves, Ramsey couple other names I would pull the trigger on before MSU or OSU OTs because I think they are better players

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Lane was argue one of the scariest picks in recent drafts every knew he had a high ceiling but he was this raw kid who only had 2 years exp. playing OL.... I think it speaks volumes about Lane and probably Stoutland for helping develop his game farther but not sure how he was a Conservative pick.

Also to add a lot of people didn't even want to touch Lane at #4 for the fear he was a reach and would not be ready to play because of his rawness and lack of exp, on the OL.........Again reason most of us aren't complaining about him because he has played relatively well

I wouldn't dog Fischer saying how he didn't pan out like Lane. Lane was the most penalized RIGHT tackle in the league. As a LEFT tackle he had a decent game and the other he was smoked to no end...just horribly. Fischer had a rough start because he was actually asked to try LEFT tackle. I'm not even sure Lane can have an argument made for him as a better tackle than Fischer. I'd say even though Fischer struggled ---he accomplished more at LEFT tackle than Lane has.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/19/chiefs-vikings-minnesotas-sharrif-floyd-dominant-in-win/

Cunningham...you are the toughest person ever on Lane for some unknown reason.... The game Lane struggled in HE DIDN"T EVEN GET REPS AT LT was forced to make the change mid game.....

If you scroll down in that article to the part labeled Oline then you see 4 of the 5 Olineman in KC struggled with very poor pass pro. The 1 with a positive grade? Yeah ,you guessed it ,Fischer.

BG Im just pointing out the obvious. Lane hasn't looked very good in pass pro. He's been better as an endurance based run blocker. So people jumping all over Fischer as left tackle and pedalstooling Lane as right tackle is just that obviously flawed. Fischer also has the edge of not being suspended for using steroids. Those four games Fischer was clearly better than Lane. And the looming suspension issue. If Lane gets caught again...

Cunningham....you have been extra hard on Lane since we drafted him for some reason.... He has been a good player.... Point out the obvious Fischer got the start at LT and the reps at LT while Lane was on the right side and forced over to the left....Doesn't sound like a big deal but the footwork is completely different switching sides even if it is only a split sec. that Lane has to waste thinking about his footwork getting set the edge will go to the DL in front of him

JJ lines up over the RT most of the time he is a LDE in the 34.... They also normally move top pass rusher around so to get the better matchup.... I mean Lane had to face off against Justin Houston the Chiefs best pass rusher as a RT

I also want to say Lane had to face off vs Von Miller his rookie season who also normally lines up over the RT

I wouldn't dog Fischer saying how he didn't pan out like Lane. Lane was the most penalized RIGHT tackle in the league. As a LEFT tackle he had a decent game and the other he was smoked to no end...just horribly. Fischer had a rough start because he was actually asked to try LEFT tackle. I'm not even sure Lane can have an argument made for him as a better tackle than Fischer. I'd say even though Fischer struggled ---he accomplished more at LEFT tackle than Lane has.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/19/chiefs-vikings-minnesotas-sharrif-floyd-dominant-in-win/

You do know Fisher played LT in college right?

On July 26, 2013, Fisher signed a fully guaranteed contract with the Chiefs worth $22.1 million with a $14.5 million signing bonus.

Despite playing at left tackle during college, Fisher transitioned to right tackle the 2013 season. He allowed 7 sacks and 35 hurries. According to analysis by Pro Football Focus, his run-blocking grade of -6.5 ranked 55th out of 76 NFL tackles who played at least 25 percent of their team's snaps. His overall grade as a tackle ranked 70th. Despite Fisher's struggles during his rookie season, Chiefs general manager John Dorsey noted Fisher's potential and expressed confidence that he will develop into a good player. Fisher played in 14 games (13 starts) during his rookie year of 2013.

In March 2014, head coach Andy Reid announced that he was moving Fisher to the left tackle position for the upcoming 2014 season, following the loss of Branden Albert in free agency. 

As expected, the Chiefs offensive tackle is shifting from the bookend spot back over to the right side, coach Andy Reid told reporters, per Terez A. Paylor of The Kansas City Star.

Donald Stephenson will assume left tackle duties after thriving at the position over 94 snaps during the preseason.

It's another depressing notch in the belt of Fisher, the former top overall pick who battled a high-ankle sprain during the preseason after finishing last year as the NFL's 72nd-ranked tackle among 84 eligible players at his position, per Pro Football Focus.

Kansas City is still waiting for Fisher to make good on his insane draft pedigree. He was regarded by many as the best blocker of the bunch in 2013, topping a selection process that saw three tackles taken with the top four picks. Entering the third year of a four-year, $22.19 million deal, Fisher remains one of the league's most overpaid "stars."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000523623/article/chiefs-eric-fisher-loses-left-tackle-job

So yes, he's struggled.

Then Fischer was moved to right tackle. Which your excuse for Lane moving to the left could easily apply to Fischer. Also we had much better receiving weapons. KC had ZERO receivers. And surprise Smith held the ball longer. Where as here, DJax was drawing a deep over the top S in double coverage. Celek was going for huge chunks. The whole Oline had a great season. Except Lane struggled mightily as well to start his rookie year. So both players struggled but Lane was part of a record setting O. Top Oline beside him. Best RB in the league. Good passing game. Fischer on the other hand:the guys on the Oline next to him struggled. No receiving weapons.

Fisher made two starts at left tackle as a true freshman during Central Michigan’s run to the MAC title in 2009 before making nine starts at right tackle, right guard and left tackle as a sophomore. He moved into the left tackle position permanently as a junior.

http://www.mlive.com/chippewas/index.ssf/2013/04/cmus_eric_fisher_makes_history.html

HE MOVED TO RT so he got all the reps at RT so even if he struggled early on he should have adjusted at some point right????/ Lane when he got the reps at LT did alright when he was forced to switch to LT mid game he struggled little bit different

We really going to use WR now as an excuse.... We had Nick "hold the ball to long" Foles as our QB....MV who is one of the hardest QBs to protect because of how he moves around never knowing where he was.....

Tony Jefferson is a FA man really been slipping this off-season lol I would take him in FA not sure what he would cost though on the open market

The guy that had 2 season as an OL struggled his rookie year really...Yet we are praising Fischer hmmmmmm who spent his entire career in college as an OL and started off as a RT am I missing something

No matter how we look at it Lane has been vastly better then Fischer and Jockel we as fans should be happy about that

I read an article not long ago stating that before too long the salary between the LT and RT is going to be the same amount of money. The argument goes that the LT is protecting the QB's blind side but the Trend in the NFL is now to move the opposing team's best pass rusher over to the RT side of the field because in theory, the RT is not as good of an athlete as the LT. So in other words, teams are looking for the same skills at RT as they are looking for at LT. Which means the salaries going forward are going to be pretty much the same for both positions.

BG I don't remember it being Houston that was abusing Lane all that game. I think I remember a time or two but it was that other guy. Their mediocre pass rusher that was owning him all game. Can't even think of his name because he isn't that significant.