Sign in to follow this  
UK_EaglesFan89

Advice for the opener

Hey y'all, 

So I'm going to be in the States for the opening weekend... In fact I arrive in New York in plenty of time for the Thursday night opener and will still be in New York for the Sunday night games.

So my question is: Anyone know the best sports bar / places to watch the games in New York? Appreciate its a big place... :lol:

My guess is that very few of us can advise you on this topic. You may want to consider jumping on the main-line AMTRAK  train down to Philly!

It's just a hop-skip and a jump down the line from NYC . . . and there's a million places to watch the games with our Philly Brethren. Just keep in

mind: there's absolutely  NO  love lost between Philly fans and NY sports fans.

Otherwise, If I were you'd I'd be Googling sports bars in NYC like a mad-man!  Good luck!

11 hours ago, McNabbIsGone said:

My guess is that very few of us can advise you on this topic. You may want to consider jumping on the main-line AMTRAK  train down to Philly!

It's just a hop-skip and a jump down the line from NYC . . . and there's a million places to watch the games with our Philly Brethren. Just keep in

mind: there's absolutely  NO  love lost between Philly fans and NY sports fans.

Otherwise, If I were you'd I'd be Googling sports bars in NYC like a mad-man!  Good luck!

Oh I won't be wearing my jersey around New York I don't think... I know my mate who supports the Niners wore his jersey (bearing in mind he was in New York to watch the Niners at the Giants) and he got a lot of stick. So I dread to think as a Philly fan what abuse I could get.

The Tip Top Club on the corner of Malcolm X Dr and Martin Luther King Ave is a colorful place with a unique atmosphere.

17 minutes ago, blackfin said:

The Tip Top Club on the corner of Malcolm X Dr and Martin Luther King Ave is a colorful place with a unique atmosphere.

Thank you I'll check it out. I mean it's New York so there must be tons of sports bars to watch the games! 

You have to go to Turtle Bay Tavern to watch the Eagles. It's an Eagles themed bar in Midtown East on 2nd Avenue. They have special promos on game day and all you can eat and drink (wings and beer) for $20. 

For the other games I'd recommend you to go to the Upper West Side, just walk on Amsterdam Av. between 75th and 85th streets and you'll find something. 

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

he got a lot of stick

A lot of what??

Maybe you meant he got a lot of sh^t.

52 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

A lot of what??

Maybe you meant he got a lot of sh^t.

Yeah that's what I mean. Over here we say either a lot of sh^t or stick but yeah it means the same thing. 

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Thank you I'll check it out. I mean it's New York so there must be tons of sports bars to watch the games! 

Sigh. Do not listen to him.

If you want an Eagles bar in NYC, then try Turtle Bay on 2nd Ave. Only been there once, but it is a Eagles loving place.

www.turtlebaynyc.com

4 minutes ago, ToDie4Eagles said:

Check out Turtle Bay bar in Midtown Manhattan.  It's an Eagles bar :)

Yeah?!? OK cool... I really hope you guys aren't setting me up here.

Got images of me walking in and it being full of giants fans. 

6 hours ago, bet0_eagles said:

You have to go to Turtle Bay Tavern to watch the Eagles. It's an Eagles themed bar in Midtown East on 2nd Avenue. They have special promos on game day and all you can eat and drink (wings and beer) for $20. 

For the other games I'd recommend you to go to the Upper West Side, just walk on Amsterdam Av. between 75th and 85th streets and you'll find something. 

As a part time midtown east resident, I can confirm that Turtle Bay is indeed an Eagles base in the heart of NYC.  Also Blondie's on the Upper West Side is Philly-friendly, although I've only gone there to watch the Flyers.  But Manhattan is different than anywhere else. Yeah, it's Giants/Jets territory, but there are so many people there from so many diverse places you can almost always find a decent Eagles crowd.  Lots of your kind of "football" as well - the Euro Cup finals last Sunday were on every screen in town. 

2 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

As a part time midtown east resident, I can confirm that Turtle Bay is indeed an Eagles base in the heart of NYC.  Also Blondie's on the Upper West Side is Philly-friendly, although I've only gone there to watch the Flyers.  But Manhattan is different than anywhere else. Yeah, it's Giants/Jets territory, but there are so many people there from so many diverse places you can almost always find a decent Eagles crowd.  Lots of your kind of "football" as well - the Euro Cup finals last Sunday were on every screen in town. 

Thanks guys I'll check out Turtle Bay! 

Oh I'm not really bothered with our kind of football but always got to have a place to go! We are staying around Manhattan so that's convenient. 

33 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

The ESPN bar at Times Square is a popular place for all sports.  Not sure how much an Eagles place it is though.

ESPN bar sounds great in principle... But I can see it being full of Giants fans and then I'd risk abuse if I were to celebrate us putting on a beating against the Browns.

4 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Does philly have any new York themed bars like turtle Bay in NYC? Not that I care just curious. 

yes...pretty much every bar in philly has a toilet

So... I'm staying in fifth avenue in Manhattan so I'm guessing I'm just 3 blocks away? So anyone from here going to be in Turtle Bay NYC for the opener? Appreciate its a long shot. 

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 5:45 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hey y'all, 

So I'm going to be in the States for the opening weekend... In fact I arrive in New York in plenty of time for the Thursday night opener and will still be in New York for the Sunday night games.

So my question is: Anyone know the best sports bar / places to watch the games in New York? Appreciate its a big place... :lol:

No way to try to make it to the game? Tickets might be a little pricey, but you could probably find some. I might even suggest trying to make it to the Bengals-Jets game, if you can't get to the Browns-Eagles game, if you've never been to an NFL game before. Go for the experience.

6 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

No way to try to make it to the game? Tickets might be a little pricey, but you could probably find some. I might even suggest trying to make it to the Bengals-Jets game, if you can't get to the Browns-Eagles game, if you've never been to an NFL game before. Go for the experience.

Unfortunately with what will be a 5 month pregnant wife no it's not an option otherwise we were looking to do it. Ant we'd considered the Jets game too. But yeah I've been to a lot of games at Wembley and then last year I went to Panthers at the Jags and year before Panthers at Buccs so I've got a fair bit of NFL experience mate. 

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 2:54 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Unfortunately with what will be a 5 month pregnant wife no it's not an option otherwise we were looking to do it. Ant we'd considered the Jets game too. But yeah I've been to a lot of games at Wembley and then last year I went to Panthers at the Jags and year before Panthers at Buccs so I've got a fair bit of NFL experience mate. 

Oh ok, if you've been to games then staying out of the crowd would be preferable lol. In fact, unless the game isn't on TV where you'll be, I'd probably even avoid the bar and just stay in and watch. That way you can watch whatever game is on afterwards as well, and if you have internet access, you can watch the Eagles post game show on PE.COM.

The way I watch the games is I listen to the Eagles radio broadcast (which in the past has been linked on PE.COM), I mute the TV and pause the video in order to make the two sync up. That way, I can watch the game while listening to Merrill and Mike call it.

Unfortunately my friend we won't be traveling to New York as it looks like we won't be going on holiday after all.

We were meant to be going to New York for 4 nights and then Orlando for 10 but we've now got a travel warning to avoid all non essential travel to Florida.