Sign in to follow this  
UK_EaglesFan89

Advice for the opener

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Unfortunately my friend we won't be traveling to New York as it looks like we won't be going on holiday after all.

We were meant to be going to New York for 4 nights and then Orlando for 10 but we've now got a travel warning to avoid all non essential travel to Florida.

Zika? I'm not sure Orlando is having an issue with that. Isn't Miami where the main scare is? Was the advisory for the entire state of Florida? Orlando is quite a ways away from Miami. It's something like 250 miles distance between the two cities (Orlando being about 250 miles north of Miami). But with your wife being pregnant, I completely understand and would most likely do the same as you and avoid the area for now.

That said, if a trip does take place in the future and you find yourself in Orlando, I recommend taking a day to drive over to the Kennedy Space Center. It's not far and their Apollo-Saturn V museum is spectacular. But then again, I'm an Apollo nut, so I'd think that regardless.

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Zika? I'm not sure Orlando is having an issue with that. Isn't Miami where the main scare is? Was the advisory for the entire state of Florida? Orlando is quite a ways away from Miami. It's something like 250 miles distance between the two cities (Orlando being about 250 miles north of Miami). But with your wife being pregnant, I completely understand and would most likely do the same as you and avoid the area for now.

That said, if a trip does take place in the future and you find yourself in Orlando, I recommend taking a day to drive over to the Kennedy Space Center. It's not far and their Apollo-Saturn V museum is spectacular. But then again, I'm an Apollo nut, so I'd think that regardless.

Yeah Zika is down south and we are off to Orlando. The advice here is to avoid the state if you can. However I've read up a bit more and as things stand we are still going to travel. Like you say Orlando is a long way North at the moment. Obviously if it starts to move North that will change things again but as it stands we are going to still go... 

It's a lot of scare mongering by the media as they usually do. The headline looked awful but reading about it more and more I feel much happier right now. The governor of Florida is urging people to still travel because they feel they have it under control and they are doing everything they can to remove the threat.

But yeah we are frequent travellers to the area. In fact we were in Orlando in May, and last September and the year before. Think in total I've been to Florida a good 15 times plus New York, Washington, LA twice, San Diego, Niagara and Vegas 4 times. So yeah I've been pretty lucky. 

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah Zika is down south and we are off to Orlando. The advice here is to avoid the state if you can. However I've read up a bit more and as things stand we are still going to travel. Like you say Orlando is a long way North at the moment. Obviously if it starts to move North that will change things again but as it stands we are going to still go... 

It's a lot of scare mongering by the media as they usually do. The headline looked awful but reading about it more and more I feel much happier right now. The governor of Florida is urging people to still travel because they feel they have it under control and they are doing everything they can to remove the threat.

But yeah we are frequent travellers to the area. In fact we were in Orlando in May, and last September and the year before. Think in total I've been to Florida a good 15 times plus New York, Washington, LA twice, San Diego, Niagara and Vegas 4 times. So yeah I've been pretty lucky. 

I plan to get back down to Florida one of these days, specifically for the Kennedy Space Center. I kind of wish the Shuttle was still flying, because I'd have liked to have gone to a launch but just never got around to it.

What I'm planning for my next trip though is to hop on the Amtrak, in a sleeping compartment, and start off across country stopping in various cities along the way. On the way out, I'll go north through Chicago and across to Oregon or Washington State. On the way back, I'll go south through California then through Arizona, Texas and onward through the southern part of the country until I wind up back in Virginia. It'll be a couple weeks of travel, but I think it'll be a fun, good trip.  

33 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I plan to get back down to Florida one of these days, specifically for the Kennedy Space Center. I kind of wish the Shuttle was still flying, because I'd have liked to have gone to a launch but just never got around to it.

What I'm planning for my next trip though is to hop on the Amtrak, in a sleeping compartment, and start off across country stopping in various cities along the way. On the way out, I'll go north through Chicago and across to Oregon or Washington State. On the way back, I'll go south through California then through Arizona, Texas and onward through the southern part of the country until I wind up back in Virginia. It'll be a couple weeks of travel, but I think it'll be a fun, good trip.  

My family love Florida so much so that at one point my parents owned a home there... For us it's got everything that we want and we've tried other places in Europe for example and it's just not the same.

That sounds like a really nice trip bud! There's a lot of America that I still want to do so something like that sounds real good.

I want to do Chicago, Boston, San Fran, Houston and Seattle. Plus I want to go back to LA again as I love the glamour there. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

My family love Florida so much so that at one point my parents owned a home there... For us it's got everything that we want and we've tried other places in Europe for example and it's just not the same.

That sounds like a really nice trip bud! There's a lot of America that I still want to do so something like that sounds real good.

I want to do Chicago, Boston, San Fran, Houston and Seattle. Plus I want to go back to LA again as I love the glamour there. 

My grandparents lived in Florida in the 70's and 80's, so I got down there on occasion to see them. The last time I was down there though was in 97. Hard to believe it's getting close to 20 years.

If you do the Rail tour, like I'm talking about, check out Amtrak's Rail Passes. https://www.amtrak.com/rail-passes

One destination that I want to be sure to get to someday though, is Glacier National Park in Montana. The pictures and videos that I've see of it are spectacular.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm

A8E78328-1DD8-B71B-0B8DC74CD7C61A80.jpg

47 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I hate that they open the season on a Thursday, I wish they'd go back to an all Sunday (other than MNF) opening day.

In all honesty I would usually agree but I tend to find I'm in the a states now for the opening game which means I can actually watch it... Whereas back at home it doesn't start until 1am.

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In all honesty I would usually agree but I tend to find I'm in the a states now for the opening game which means I can actually watch it... Whereas back at home it doesn't start until 1am.

Time to move over here. I recommend south-east Virginia. Not Virginia Beach, not Portsmouth, not Hampton and not Norfolk. Either Chesapeake or Suffolk. Depending on your field of employment, you may want to focus on Chesapeake because it's close enough to Norfolk and Virginia Beach but far enough away to be away from the city and tourists.

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Time to move over here. I recommend south-east Virginia. Not Virginia Beach, not Portsmouth, not Hampton and not Norfolk. Either Chesapeake or Suffolk. Depending on your field of employment, you may want to focus on Chesapeake because it's close enough to Norfolk and Virginia Beach but far enough away to be away from the city and tourists.

I can rely on you to sponsor me to get a visa then bud? My field of employment is Programme Planning which I'm sure you'll tell me is a very popular field to work in over here? 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I can rely on you to sponsor me to get a visa then bud? My field of employment is Programme Planning which I'm sure you'll tell me is a very popular field to work in over here? 

Sure, I'll even sponsor you for a Master Card... oh, wait, that's not the kind of Visa you were talking about, was it? :huh: lol

I'm not familiar with that field of employment, so I can't honestly answer that either way. But if it isn't a popular field here, there's always Wal-Mart. I know of 5 stores just within a 25 mile radius of where I live...

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Sure, I'll even sponsor you for a Master Card... oh, wait, that's not the kind of Visa you were talking about, was it? :huh: lol

I'm not familiar with that field of employment, so I can't honestly answer that either way. But if it isn't a popular field here, there's always Wal-Mart. I know of 5 stores just within a 25 mile radius of where I live...

Walmart and in some states Publix!!! And Walgreen's and CVS! :-) though I'm not sure working at one of those places would be enough for you guys to give be a green card? 

But who knows maybe the new company I'm going to work for might give me a better chance of being transferred to an office over here. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Walmart and in some states Publix!!! And Walgreen's and CVS! :-) though I'm not sure working at one of those places would be enough for you guys to give be a green card? 

But who knows maybe the new company I'm going to work for might give me a better chance of being transferred to an office over here. 

Green Card? Pfft... just go illegal, it's the new fad... but we'll leave that discussion for CVON lol

I don't think I've seen any Publix around here, but I wouldn't really put those on par with Wal-Mart. Those are a step up from convenience stores, but Wal-Mart's are really large with electronics, furniture, clothing, sporting goods, guns, toys, automotive, hardware and groceries. Pretty much anything you might need, they sell... 24 hours a day too.

Of course I'm just teasing by saying it's time to move, but I have lived in multiple areas of the country and this area is the only one that I prefer as of now. Though I have had the thought of Montana a lot lately. But here, there's very mild winters and very mild summers, though it does get hot and cold. It's just not as bad as some of the other places I've lived. (Maryland, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas and now Virginia).

10 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Green Card? Pfft... just go illegal, it's the new fad... but we'll leave that discussion for CVON lol

I don't think I've seen any Publix around here, but I wouldn't really put those on par with Wal-Mart. Those are a step up from convenience stores, but Wal-Mart's are really large with electronics, furniture, clothing, sporting goods, guns, toys, automotive, hardware and groceries. Pretty much anything you might need, they sell... 24 hours a day too.

Of course I'm just teasing by saying it's time to move, but I have lived in multiple areas of the country and this area is the only one that I prefer as of now. Though I have had the thought of Montana a lot lately. But here, there's very mild winters and very mild summers, though it does get hot and cold. It's just not as bad as some of the other places I've lived. (Maryland, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas and now Virginia).

So what field of work are you in? Must in a way be nice to be able to move about the country and try new places. 

I'd honestly love to live in the States but it's a pipe dream that in reality probably won't ever happen... But a guy can hope and dream! 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So what field of work are you in? Must in a way be nice to be able to move about the country and try new places. 

I'd honestly love to live in the States but it's a pipe dream that in reality probably won't ever happen... But a guy can hope and dream! 

I was in the military when I lived in several of those places. Now I'm in IT.

5 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I was in the military when I lived in several of those places. Now I'm in IT.

Nice one! So you tell people to switch it off and back on again? :D