Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ackid38

Jared Goff isn't even Rams' backup QB

Recommended Posts

Looks like Both Wentz and Goff will be #3s for awhile.

The Los Angeles Rams gave up a ton to move up to the No. 1 pick and draft Cal quarterback Jared Goff. It’s the kind of gamble that makes or breaks a franchise for a long time.

Goff might end up being a fine quarterback, maybe even a Hall of Famer someday. We don’t know. But the Rams have to feel at least a little anxious after Goff’s uneven preseason.

Goff got the start on Thursday in the preseason finale, on a night when many starters sit. Goff isn’t the Rams’ Week 1 starter, Case Keenum is. And Goff completed just 6 of 16 passes for 67 yards, one touchdown and one interception in the Rams’ 27-25 loss to the Minnesota Vikings. And 22 of those yards came on a play in which Goff was past the line of scrimmage when he threw, but no penalty was called.

NFL Preseason Blitz: Jared Goff isn't even Rams' backup QB
Frank Schwab,Shutdown Corner 15 hours ago Comments  Like  Reblog on Tumblr  Share  Tweet  Email
 


Toby Johnson picks off Jared Goff

Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Toby Johnson intercepts Los Angeles Rams QB Jared Goff.
The Los Angeles Rams gave up a ton to move up to the No. 1 pick and draft Cal quarterback Jared Goff. It’s the kind of gamble that makes or breaks a franchise for a long time.

Goff might end up being a fine quarterback, maybe even a Hall of Famer someday. We don’t know. But the Rams have to feel at least a little anxious after Goff’s uneven preseason.

Goff got the start on Thursday in the preseason finale, on a night when many starters sit. Goff isn’t the Rams’ Week 1 starter, Case Keenum is. And Goff completed just 6 of 16 passes for 67 yards, one touchdown and one interception in the Rams’ 27-25 loss to the Minnesota Vikings. And 22 of those yards came on a play in which Goff was past the line of scrimmage when he threw, but no penalty was called.


Each of the last five quarterbacks drafted first overall won the starting job before Week 1 of their rookie seasons (Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck and Jameis Winston). Not only is Goff not the Rams’ starter, he’s not even the backup right now. Rams coach Jeff Fisher said after Thursday’s game that Sean Mannion, who was 15-of-23 for 135 yards and a touchdown in the second half Thursday, is probably the Rams’ backup now.

“You know, I think it’s going to take a little bit more time,” Fisher said, according to Rich Hammond of the Orange County Register. “That’s not to say he can’t be a two [backup quarterback] or start, but if we were starting right now, I’d probably have Sean as the two. Because it’s all about being patient with [Goff].”

While Fisher said Goff has made “significant progress,” it’s shocking Goff couldn’t pass either Keenum or Mannion on the depth chart before Week 1. Goff should have been able to beat out Mannion to be the backup, at very least.

[Join a Yahoo Fantasy Football league for free and make 2016 your season]

Goff’s final preseason stat line was 22-of-49 for 232 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. That’s a scary 44.9 completion percentage and a paltry 4.7 yards per attempt. Goff didn’t always get a lot of help from the fellow backups he was playing with, though he was usually playing against backup defensive players. Goff had a learning curve coming from a spread college offense but 2015 second overall pick Marcus Mariota made the same transition just fine.

Goff could be good in time, and maybe he’ll even be great when he gets his chance to start this season. And even though he’s not the backup going into the regular season he will probably start at some point this year; Keenum isn’t the long-term answer and 22 of the last 24 quarterbacks drafted in the first round started at least one game their rookie seasons.

Goff also made some nice throws on Thursday. His back-shoulder touchdown pass on Thursday night to Kenny Britt was very impressive.

But the preseason wasn’t what you want to see from a quarterback drafted first overall, after giving up an astonishing amount of draft picks to move up. And it might be a while before we see Goff again this year.              https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/nfl-preseason-blitz-jared-goff-isnt-even-rams-backup-qb-051608041.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He looked really bad in that last preseason game.  I mean horrible.  He doesn't look close to being ready.   Wentz was far and away the better prospect imo and I'm just so glad they passed up on him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since last year, i've been saying that all the QBs for the 2016 draft need to sit a year at least. I just don't think any of them are ready.

Dak Prescott will have to play by default and it'll be interesting to see how he does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

He looked really bad in that last preseason game.  I mean horrible.  He doesn't look close to being ready.   Wentz was far and away the better prospect imo and I'm just so glad they passed up on him

yup, I mean forget whatever the stats are, Wentz just had a better arm and looked far more decisive. Goff just seems soft as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

yup, I mean forget whatever the stats are, Wentz just had a better arm and looked far more decisive. Goff just seems soft as well.

.Not to mention he is ses like a ding dong.  Wentz is like Albert Einstein compared to Goff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Wow, I guess this PROVES that Wentz is going to be a bust. There's clearly no other way to look at it.

Damn.

Nobody said anything that. Everyone who commented simply spoke about what they saw in preseason based on limited looks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I thought this guy was meant to be the most pro ready QB? I thought really the only reason the Rams took Goff was because they feel they could with a decent QB really compete? And that Wentz has a much higher ceiling and much greater upside.

What I've seen of Goff so far though I'm not convinced he's got enough to be an elite franchise QB.

He's also come from a spread offense so he hasn't played in a pro offense. At least Wentz has.

So all in all... I think the Rams made a terrible selection with their first round pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And I thought this guy was meant to be the most pro ready QB? I thought really the only reason the Rams took Goff was because they feel they could with a decent QB really compete? And that Wentz has a much higher ceiling and much greater upside.

What I've seen of Goff so far though I'm not convinced he's got enough to be an elite franchise QB.

He's also come from a spread offense so he hasn't played in a pro offense. At least Wentz has.

So all in all... I think the Rams made a terrible selection with their first round pick. 

i think goff is struggling because the rams have done a poor job of putting good talent around him and snead and fisher somehow get extensions. the rams defense WAS good until they let 1/2 of their secondary go and some other key palyers as well. i dont think they are nearly as good as in the past. Seriously the rams are paying Austin a ton of money and he has never had more than 700 yards receiving in a season. the only thing the rams currently have right now is gurley. the WRs are miserable. the offensive line is a disaster. The big issue is the rams thought they were just a QB away and went up to get him. The pundits all said the same thing. EARTH TO THE PUNDITS AND EVERYONE... they are a offensive line, Wide receivers and linebacker, corner and safety (need someone with johnson and mcdonald) away. i get some of it is his fault but he barely gets time to throw and gets destroyed out there. this has david carr written over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

i think goff is struggling because the rams have done a poor job of putting good talent around him and snead and fisher somehow get extensions. the rams defense WAS good until they let 1/2 of their secondary go and some other key palyers as well. i dont think they are nearly as good as in the past. Seriously the rams are paying Austin a ton of money and he has never had more than 700 yards receiving in a season. the only thing the rams currently have right now is gurley. the WRs are miserable. the offensive line is a disaster. The big issue is the rams thought they were just a QB away and went up to get him. The pundits all said the same thing. EARTH TO THE PUNDITS AND EVERYONE... they are a offensive line, Wide receivers and linebacker, corner and safety (need someone with johnson and mcdonald) away. i get some of it is his fault but he barely gets time to throw and gets destroyed out there. this has david carr written over it.

I agree that he's not surrounded by a lot of talent on offense and so yes that isn't going to help him. But I still don't see anything in the guy to make me think he'll be a franchise QB. Even down to his personality I just don't think he's going to have what it takes to be a top top NFL QB. 

I know we are bias and so we watch Wentz with midnight green tinted glasses but there's such an obvious difference between them already... And Wentz is supposed to need more time to settle in to the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree that he's not surrounded by a lot of talent on offense and so yes that isn't going to help him. But I still don't see anything in the guy to make me think he'll be a franchise QB. Even down to his personality I just don't think he's going to have what it takes to be a top top NFL QB. 

I know we are bias and so we watch Wentz with midnight green tinted glasses but there's such an obvious difference between them already... And Wentz is supposed to need more time to settle in to the NFL. 

to be honest, i wasnt high on either. i preferred goff if we were trying to win now because i thought he was more ready to go then wentz. i didnt think goff was going to be an elite QB or franchise QB. i thought he could be good like a matt ryan type. i think wentz has the tools to be better than that but i also think his floor is lower and thought he had more bust potential. i thought the eagles were better off just rebuilding and building up everything else with their picks and going after their QB next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

to be honest, i wasnt high on either. i preferred goff if we were trying to win now because i thought he was more ready to go then wentz. i didnt think goff was going to be an elite QB or franchise QB. i thought he could be good like a matt ryan type. i think wentz has the tools to be better than that but i also think his floor is lower and thought he had more bust potential. i thought the eagles were better off just rebuilding and building up everything else with their picks and going after their QB next year.

That's fair enough... And to be honest if Wentz ended up on another team I'd probably be saying the same things. I'd be saying I like how high his ceiling is but that his floor and risk is low. But I'm looking at it with positives because he's an Eagle so yeah I can agree with what your saying mate. I wasn't big on either before the draft I know that as I knew very little about either. But once we traded up to number 2 and it was clear we were going to get Wentz I started looking at highlights and various reports etc on him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's fair enough... And to be honest if Wentz ended up on another team I'd probably be saying the same things. I'd be saying I like how high his ceiling is but that his floor and risk is low. But I'm looking at it with positives because he's an Eagle so yeah I can agree with what your saying mate. I wasn't big on either before the draft I know that as I knew very little about either. But once we traded up to number 2 and it was clear we were going to get Wentz I started looking at highlights and various reports etc on him. 

i am hoping wentz becomes the player we all hope and want. if he isnt it is going to be long time until we get to see a championship. heck i even bought a wentz jersey just cause i got such a good price at fanatics on it so im all in. i think he has the chance to be really good after reading a ton of scouting reports and watching the videos of him but i can see him also being injury prone (got hurt already, was hurt last year) and also not capable of being a NFL QB. this is a pivotal moment in eagles history. it will either set the franchise up for the next 10-15 years or set us back 5-7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And I thought this guy was meant to be the most pro ready QB? I thought really the only reason the Rams took Goff was because they feel they could with a decent QB really compete? And that Wentz has a much higher ceiling and much greater upside.

What I've seen of Goff so far though I'm not convinced he's got enough to be an elite franchise QB.

He's also come from a spread offense so he hasn't played in a pro offense. At least Wentz has.

So all in all... I think the Rams made a terrible selection with their first round pick. 

I was hoping  prior to the opening of the 2016 draft  the Rams didn't wake up and switch their pick from Goff. They didn't :thumbsup:

I know the convention wisdom was that Goff was more 'NFL ready'. Conventional wisdom was wrong .... AGAIN.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Is 8 days too soon?

 

A small part of me wants to let Daniel start until the buy week. Only because Wentz missed so much preseason work. But the rest of me just wants to see him play and take his lumps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, boogyman said:

A small part of me wants to let Daniel start until the buy week. Only because Wentz missed so much preseason work. But the rest of me just wants to see him play and take his lumps.

I'm glad it isn't my decision, though I guess if it was, I'd be making Millions per year... so I kind of wish it was my decision. That aside, if we're going to lose and/or not do much for the season, then let him play when he's physically ready.

At this point though, Daniel shouldn't be too upset. He's on pace to be the Eagles head coach in 17 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 3, 2016 at 1:26 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree that he's not surrounded by a lot of talent on offense and so yes that isn't going to help him. But I still don't see anything in the guy to make me think he'll be a franchise QB. Even down to his personality I just don't think he's going to have what it takes to be a top top NFL QB. 

I know we are bias and so we watch Wentz with midnight green tinted glasses but there's such an obvious difference between them already... And Wentz is supposed to need more time to settle in to the NFL. 

I don't think most of us are seeing this through green tint. I was crossing my fingers and toes that we wouldn't get stuck with Goff as soon as we moved up to #2.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally thought Wentz had a much better set of skills coming out of college. Goff had career backup written all over him imo, while Wentz seems to at least have the attributes to become a top flight starter. Where they both end up remains to be seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the good thing about Doug as our catch he knows what it's like to get ready for a season as a QB and also had to take a beating for McNabb. So I think Doug will have a full understanding of what he needs to do to protect and develop Wentz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going into the draft I was hoping the Rams would take Goff.  Wentz seemed to be the better physical prospect and more prepared for the NFL game despite the competition level and playing in less games.  Wentz played in a West Coast style offense, took snaps under center and called audibles and protections.  Geoff was a spread QB who'd barely taken any snaps under center if he even took any.  Level of competition didn't seem to be a huge issue to me because neither had seen an NFL defense and both would have to adjust to that. It kind of felt like Goff was getting picked more on where he went to school than who he was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites