Sign in to follow this  
dawkins4prez

Cheesesteak ordering question

So, after being a bandwagon fan since '79, I have finally planeed a trip to go to Philly and see the Eagles.

My first question is about ordering cheesteaks.  If I want mushrooms, would that be provie wit mushrooms or provie wit and mushrooms?  I have a food blog, I can't F this up.

This may be late for you, but it depends:  First, mushrooms are NOT a standard cheesesteak topping.  The "wit" refers to ONIONS.  So a cheesesteak with provolone (if available) would be "one provolone, wit."   If you wanted mushrooms, it would be "one, provolone wit and mushrooms."   However, you'll find the verbiage is less important when you go to places that aren't known as cheesesteak shops.  If you go to Genos or Pats or something else touristy, the order style is more important.  If you go to more of sit-down place or a franchise like Tony Lukes, you can probably just order using normal English.  At the stadium, just use normal English because everyone's drunk anyway and the staff has no time to watch you impersonate a Philadelphian.  Have a good trip.