Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] A Schedule Of What's Ahead For Eagles

I think Sterling Moore could be a good addition. Not the blockbuster name that usually fills up these boards. He probably can be signed for near vet minimum. He could be good in the slot in this system. He also has experience and can backup the outside spots. He's not Darrell revis or anything but a solid budget move possibility. He could help get Jenkins back to S if nothing else.

2017 Cap Room $9,842,349 projected Cap Room 35 million. DeSean Jackson 7.4 mil, Alshon Jeffery 14 mil = Cap Room 13.6 still enough to sign half the teams FA.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/philadelphia-eagles/

DC - a lot of that money "coming off the books" next yr, it goes to Cox. Ran across this as I'm torn about letting Logan go. Forget about stats - they lie! He is a really good run stuffer. Look around our division and who do we have to beat? I do not want to go against Elliot not being able to stop the run. AP will most likely stay w/ the Vikings, but specifically mentioned going to the Giants. NFLN says the Skins are his best place as their line's gotten better. The FO has asked Wentz for his input on who he wants, maybe they should ask Cox as well.

http://isportsweb.com/2017/02/17/2348183/

8 minutes ago, bakle said:

2017 Cap Room $9,842,349 projected Cap Room 35 million. DeSean Jackson 7.4 mil, Alshon Jeffery 14 mil = Cap Room 13.6 still enough to sign half the teams FA.

You're leaving out the money for the rookies and the fact the Eagles always roll money over from one year to the next.

10 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

- a lot of that money "coming off the books" next yr, it goes to Cox.

No it doesn't, if you go to OTC and look at 2018, Flecther Cox cap hit is already factored into the salary cap spending. The money coming off the books would be additional cap space.

Hayden was a bust in Oakland, but the dude was a standout in College, thus why he was picked 12th over all. I wonder if he would do better With Swartz? Any thoughts here? I am sure he can be gotten for little.... Maybe a 2 year contract to see what he does?

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:
  1 hour ago, stine said:

OK, so we are basically in agreement for the draft. I really don't care about the FA as long as they address needs. Of course I would prefer they do not strap themselves up with long term deals, but I am not going to worry anymore. If they end up like Dallas is then they only have themselves to blame. Right?

As far as the cap goes, they'll be fine, there will be a few players coming off the books next year, I suspect, Peters, Celek and Chase Daniel, which would clear around $20 million, Chase is $7M, Celek I believe is $4M and then Peters would free up the rest. Plus you have Sproles retiring after this year.

I'd like to possibly add a LG in FA, but that all depends on how and where they spend their money, if they get Alshon, it's not going to allow for much else. But, if they went out and got, Wheaton/Britt/Stills.Wright/Woods etc and signed a CB like Trumaine Johnson or even Dre Kirkpatrick, then they'd be able sign an OG as well.

Not sold on Wheaton. I heard he has off field issues. Of course, they could be BS as are allot of things we hear.... But would not mind Britt or Stills and a CB...

Chase Daniel not on the table, Celek after june 1st 2 mil cut 1 mil. 3 or 4 mil dead money which is still against the cap. Peters can go 5 ways or nothing and still make 30 mil + cap space.

try: http://overthecap.com/calculator/philadelphia-eagles/

1 hour ago, stine said:

Not sold on Wheaton. I heard he has off field issues. Of course, they could be BS as are allot of things we hear.... But would not mind Britt or Stills and a CB...

Not sure where you heard that, but to my knowledge, Wheaton has never been in trouble since he's been with Pittsburgh. He's had injury issues, a shoulder injury put him on IR this year, but that's about it. Maybe thinking of Martavis Bryant?

you are right! I was thinking about Bryant! Good catch DC...

Just now, stine said:

you are right! I was thinking about Bryant! Good catch DC...

Yeah he can't stop smoking dope and has since been called unreliable by the Boss, Art Rooney II. But, he's still under contract with them and they usually don't start negotiating with players until they have 1 year left on their deals. They're probably going to tag Bell and extend Antonio Brown, they have the money to re-sign both, Wheaton was in the final year of his deal, but there was no talk about him getting an extension, so he'll likely be an FA.

Need to save 10 mil + for draft and FA signings after draft....

Perusing the net and ran across this story which got me thinking;

http://insidetheiggles.com/2017/02/16/eagles-keep-mychal-kendricks/

Please don't get me wrong, I like Schwartz, but to an extent. Is he a coach who is so tight to his D that he won't adapt it to his players' strengths? I've always found a plan that doesn't adapt to be a poor plan. I was fortunate to be able to watch Jimmy Johnson, who like Schwartz didn't blitz a lot. However he faked them better than anyone and did it often enough to give O's and QB's pause, giving the D the upper hand. When he actually did bring them, they were well disguised. We have a few players - Barwin and Kendricks - who would have fit in Johnsons' scheme very well, esp Barwin as Kendricks doesn't do as well in the open field. Barwin would be a lot more effective on his natural side. The plan should adapt when you have good players on hand. JMO

Derek Barnett is a very promising DE prospect, though the comparison to Reggie White (which I've seen elsewhere) is taking things too far. Barnett is no where near the dominant player White was in college. However--the beauty of it is--the Eagles don't need to spend their #1 pick on Barnett, or Taco Charleton, or any other top rated DE, because there's a stronger, faster, smarter, more flexible, more versatile, more dominant edge rusher expected to go in the 2nd round, and the Eagles are in a very good position to get him--DeMarcus Walker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_nZanLqxAw

Which means that the Eagles can take a CB (Humphrey) or a WR (Williams, Davis, Ross) or possibly a RB (if either Fournette or Cook is available) in the first round, AND!!! get DE/OLB Walker in the 2nd round.  IMO, Walker is being hugely underrated as a 2nd round pick. The very idea that Taco Charleton (ranked above him), for example, is being rated a better DE or athlete & one that deserves to go in the 1st round instead of Walker is ridiculous. Just watch the films--Charleton is clearly slower, not as strong, not as flexible, and not as good an athlete as Walker. Nor is Barnett faster or more flexible either. Granted, Barnett is fast for a big guy, but I don't expect Barnett has the versatility and speed to play OLB as Walker does--which could be very useful to the Eagles.

Follow that pick up by drafting RB Samaje Perine (or Joe Mixon, if the Eagles are willing to take a chance on a super talented, well rounded back with potential off field issues) in the 3rd round and it could be the start of one of the best Eagles drafts in many years.

Disagree with your assessment on Barnett. Why wouldn't he be compared to Reggie White? He just broke his long standing sack record in three years of playing. The guy can line up and get pressure from any defensive line position on the field and the most important thing of all is his motor. He never stops and never takes plays off. Playing in a Schwartz defense, that is a priority because Schwartz seldom blitzes. The four linemen are the ones that have to consistently get the pressure on the QB. I would take him as fast as could turn my selection in at #15 if he is on the board. I believe Barnett is the best pass rusher in the draft. Yes, even better than Myles Garrett.

FReak not sure how you missed DT Kawann Short. You must have not seen him on the free agent list...or something. Arguably the most mobile DT around. Fits perfect in Schwartz penetration scheme. I have some bones to pick about your view of rankings. I'll save that for later though. I'm glad you put yourself out there and went all out with your free agency preview according to Freak!

Nah i knew he was there i went with a cheaper option for that position. Just like DE. Already have starters in place dont need to spend big money there. Short be too pricey for us so went with other options.

Ok so that was long enough.....Freak has 'El Busto' Jarvis Jones as his top pass rusher. That's his nickname in Pitt. They benched him,put in Harrison and the defense absolutely flourished. What have you been watching Freak?

Haha well i did have Moore n Okafor at 1. But like a said with the DT position we have starters we just need depth. There is talent there with Jones. Like to see him with his hand in the ground.

I love CB Trumaine Johnson. I think he could be overlooked a bit this offseason with the big names being Gilmore, Bouye, and Ryan. He has good size and a long history playing with McLeod. I would love to sign him.

Kenny Britt is starting to look as a reasonable WR FA target...Big, Fast, experienced. His former WR coach is now here in Philly. Britt had his first 1000 yard season under Groh for the first time in his career. Some estimates it would take 6.5mil a yr about 20 mil for 3 yrs. Y'all remember this guy with the Titans...think he had a couple of 200 yd games against us. Britt is 6'03" With 4.4 speed, he is someone who could help us without breaking the bank.

1Wrangler writes, "Disagree with your assessment on Barnett. Why wouldn't he be compared to Reggie White? He just broke his long standing sack record in three years of playing."

Yes, that's true, good point.  But, for me, Reggie White is the best defensive lineman I ever saw. So it's hard for me to accept the comparison, even if Barnett did break White's sack record (& impressively so in just three years). When I compared their college films, I just didn't think Barnett looked as physically strong & dominant as White, though he might be faster. But don't misunderstand me, I like Barnett a lot, and he's unquestionably a great prospect. I just think the Eagles have too many weaknesses right now--at CB, WR, G & RB--and they need to fill out those positions with a bunch of very good new players, if they're going to be one of the top teams in 2017. Though I agree, it would be great to see them draft a first class edge rusher to play opposite Cox (and I'd hardly be upset if they took Barnett in the first round).

But, for now, I don't think they have a single quality starting CB (unless you count Brooks), nor do they have any real depth at that position (since trading Rowe). Therefore, they simply have no choice but to acquire 3 or 4 very good CBs in FA and the draft, and two of those have to be able to start and play at a high level in 2017. Otherwise, it's going to be a long season. Which is why I'd like to see them draft one of the top college CBs in the first round (maybe Humphrey or Lattimore), and another top prospect in the third or fourth round (maybe the 6'3" King), and additionally get two established "ready to start" CBs in free agency (maybe Bouye and Webster). Since, in my view, CB is a more serious weakness for the Eagles than WR, where they can probably get by with acquiring a single top quality receiver in FA (maybe Stills or Jackson), and an additional 2 promising WRs in the draft (maybe Stringfellow & Cannon, if not Williams or Davis).

With that said, DeMarcus Walker does actually remind me a little bit of Reggie White, believe it or not--as I think he has a similar kind of physical strength. Though there was only one Reggie White. And, watching the films, I also think Walker is faster than Barnett, though granted, Barnett is fast.  But I guess we'll see more at the Combine...

Even so, I'd be thrilled to see the Eagles draft Barnett & Tankersley for their #1 & #2 picks, though I'd prefer Humphrey & Walker myself--since I think both those players will be NFL starters next year, and I'm not so sure about Tankersley, or any of the other 2nd round CB picks. But it really does depend on who the Eagles acquire in FA, and what kind of flexibility that gives them when the draft comes around.

1Wrangler writes, "Disagree with your assessment on Barnett. Why wouldn't he be compared to Reggie White? He just broke his long standing sack record in three years of playing."

Good point. But, for me, Reggie White is the best defensive lineman I ever saw. So it's hard for me to accept the comparison, even if Barnett did break White's sack record (& impressively so in just three years). When I compared their college films, I just didn't think Barnett looked as physically strong & dominant as White, though he might be faster. But don't misunderstand me, I like Barnett a lot, and he's unquestionably a great prospect. I just think the Eagles have too many glaring weaknesses right now--at CB, WR, G & RB--and they need to fill out those positions with a bunch of very good new players, if they're going to be one of the top teams in 2017. Though I agree, it would be great to see them draft a first class edge rusher playing opposite Cox (and I'd hardly be upset if they took Barnett in the first round).

But, for now, I don't think they have a single starting CB, unless you count Brooks, nor do they have any real depth at that position (since trading Rowe). Therefore, they simply have no choice but to acquire 3 or 4 very good CBs in FA and the draft, and two of those have to be able to start and play at a high level in 2017. Otherwise, it's going to be a long season. Which is why I'd like to see them draft one of the top college CBs in the first round (maybe Humphrey or Lattimore), and another top prospect in the third or fourth round (maybe King), and additionally get two established "ready to start" CBs in free agency (maybe Bouye and Webster). Since, in my view, CB is a more glaring weakness for the Eagles than WR, where they can possibly get by with only acquiring a single top quality receiver in FA (maybe Stills or Jackson), and an additional 2 promising WRs in the draft (maybe Stringfellow & Cannon, if not Williams or Davis).

With that said, DeMarcus Walker does actually remind me a little bit of Reggie White, believe it or not--as I think he has a similar kind of strength. Though there was only one Reggie White. And, watching the films, I also think Walker is faster than Barnett, though granted, Barnett is fast. But I guess we'll see at the Combine...

Even so, I'd be thrilled to see the Eagles get Barnett & Tankersley for their #1 & #2 picks, though I'd prefer Humphrey & Walker myself--since I think both those players will be NFL starters next year, and I'm not so sure about Tankersley, or any of the other 2nd round CB picks. But it really does depend on who the Eagles acquire in FA, and what kind of flexibility that gives them when the draft comes around.

Yes Simpson the Eagles have many weaknesses as you just stated. So using that analogy, which players in the first round are of greater need? We won't really know the answer to that question until after free agency. Since 1999, drafting a wide receiver in the first round has a 25% success rate and drafting a CB in the first round has a 30% success rate. They are the two lowest success rates for any position players drafted in the first round. Don't you think that if I am aware of that statistic, so is Howie Roseman and Joe Douglas? Don't get me wrong, if that is the direction that both of these guys want to go with the first round pick and their player is there, go for it. I myself value Barnett, RB Cook, MLB Rueben Foster and OT Ryan Ramczyk as higher overall value at pick 15 than Williams, Davis, Humphrey or Lattimore. All four of my guys are also needs for the club.