Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] A Schedule Of What's Ahead For Eagles

19 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Disagree with your assessment on Barnett. Why wouldn't he be compared to Reggie White? He just broke his long standing sack record in three years of playing. The guy can line up and get pressure from any defensive line position on the field and the most important thing of all is his motor. He never stops and never takes plays off. Playing in a Schwartz defense, that is a priority because Schwartz seldom blitzes. The four linemen are the ones that have to consistently get the pressure on the QB. I would take him as fast as could turn my selection in at #15 if he is on the board. I believe Barnett is the best pass rusher in the draft. Yes, even better than Myles Garrett.

Dude have you seen Myles Garrett? Just a beast. He's like Paul Bunyan.

The Philadelphia Eagles quarterback spent Friday working out with a pair of 2017 NFL Draft prospects, wide receivers Cooper Kupp of Eastern Washington and Chad Hansen from Cal, at Santa Margarita Catholic High School in California.

i like kupp. he has great stats and a tough dude...reminds me of jordy nelson or edelman. worth taking a chance, especially if our franchise QB is working out with him...is that an nfl draft rule-breaker tho??? i know it wouldn't be if the wideouts were in high school, but draft eligible???

16 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

The Philadelphia Eagles quarterback spent Friday working out with a pair of 2017 NFL Draft prospects, wide receivers Cooper Kupp of Eastern Washington and Chad Hansen from Cal, at Santa Margarita Catholic High School in California.

i like kupp. he has great stats and a tough dude...reminds me of jordy nelson or edelman. worth taking a chance, especially if our franchise QB is working out with him...is that an nfl draft rule-breaker tho??? i know it wouldn't be if the wideouts were in high school, but draft eligible???

hmm, kupp had sprained AC joints in both shoulders last season that limited his time on the field...interesting story tho. good coaching and hard work could turn him into a legit nfl wr(but i guess you could say that about a good number of draft prospects). he had great stats in a competitive conference.

I was curious about the legality as well. What's to stop players from sending a recording of the workout back or having a scout observe the workout? Nothing that hasn't been done before. As for why it was the 3 of them working out - they have the same agent. Guess Wentz was doing what both the FO and the agent wanted.

22 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Disagree with your assessment on Barnett. Why wouldn't he be compared to Reggie White? He just broke his long standing sack record in three years of playing. The guy can line up and get pressure from any defensive line position on the field and the most important thing of all is his motor. He never stops and never takes plays off. Playing in a Schwartz defense, that is a priority because Schwartz seldom blitzes. The four linemen are the ones that have to consistently get the pressure on the QB. I would take him as fast as could turn my selection in at #15 if he is on the board. I believe Barnett is the best pass rusher in the draft. Yes, even better than Myles Garrett.

Dude have you seen Myles Garrett? Just a beast. He's like Paul Bunyan.

Yes I have seen him. I also saw OT Skipper from Arkansas effectively block him the whole game when they played this year. Skipper is projected to go in the 4th or 5th round of this years draft. Either Skipper is underrated or Garrett is overrated.

It great the knowledge on this Board @MrSimpson many of those players you've mentioned, guys like Sanje Perine, I read he ran for over 470 yes yards in a game and benchpressed 225 for 100 reps, and there's Joe Mixon both look to be tremendous prospects but bring some baggage. Fournette is my guy...I read where that Tankersley kid caught Douglas eyes at the Senior Bowl, Tankersley plays very physical. I am in complete agreement with the many fantastic players suggested by the Eagle fanatics posting here.

Douglas wants players that have overcome adversity, players that are physical and aggressive that want to win. Howie wants Difference makers... does that mean he is willing to move up to get the players he wants . Quality talent acquisition has to be our goal, no trading back for more picks. I watched players like Bouye that Texan kid looks to be a tremendous player looking for big payday...but having only started 8 games not really been a full time starter is he worth breaking the bank especially with our other needs.

I have to wait and see what moves we make in FA to best formulate any Draft picks.for now it is still BPA regardless of position.

It great the knowledge on this Board @MrSimpson many of those players you've mentioned, guys like Sanje Perine, I read he ran for over 470 yes yards in a game and benchpressed 225 for 100 reps, and there's Joe Mixon both look to be tremendous prospects but bring some baggage. Fournette is my guy...I read where that Tankersley kid caught Douglas eyes at the Senior Bowl, Tankersley plays very physical. I am in complete agreement with the many fantastic players suggested by the Eagle fanatics posting here.

Douglas wants players that have overcome adversity, players that are physical and aggressive that want to win. Howie wants Difference makers... does that mean he is willing to move up to get the players he wants . Quality talent acquisition has to be our goal, no trading back for more picks. I watched players like Bouye that Texan kid looks to be a tremendous player looking for big payday...but having only started 8 games not really been a full time starter is he worth breaking the bank especially with our other needs.

I have to wait and see what moves we make in FA to best formulate any Draft picks.for now it is still BPA regardless of position.

Trini - When you say that Joe Douglas wants players that have overcome adversity do you mean adversity on the football field or in their personal lives or both?

Trini--Before I had heard that Mixon had violently broken a woman's jaw--so shameful, I was hoping the Eagles would draft both Mixon and Perine, as they make a great combination & compliment each other really well. Now I'm just hoping for Perine--who'd be a steal in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Defensive players seem to bounce off of him, much as they do Ezekiel Elliott. Yes, Fournette has incredible arm strength!! I don't think I've ever seen a RB throw defenders to the ground with just one swipe of his arm like Fournette does. (The guy's a bear.)  But will that translate to the pros? because that's going to be a lot harder to do in the NFL (except with CBs maybe).

I agree that A.J. Bouye is a "tremendous player". He's also young. I say take a chance.

I'd bet good money the Eagles sign DeSean Jackson, but he will be their only veteran WR acquisition--though I wouldn't mind Cruz or Garcon either. Still, I think they need to go younger overall.

1wrangler--I like your guys a lot, especially Reuben Foster, who I'd love to see on the Eagles. However, my concern with Ramczyk is his recent surgery for a torn labrum. From my experience, hip problems are usually the beginning of the end for an athlete. Ramczyk's career will likely be plagued by chronic hip pain, and at some point (maybe even as early as 2017--depending on the success of the surgery), a loss of mobility. So, I wouldn't touch him. Beyond Ramczyk, I don't think it's a great year for O-L--but I don't know either Dawkins or Garcia very well. I'd much rather see the Eagles get a guard in FA, such as Ronald Leary and/or Chance Warmack, and hopefully one of their two 'conversion' projects at OT will pay off to replace Peters, when the time comes.

Trini--Before I had heard that Mixon had violently broken a woman's jaw--so shameful, I was hoping the Eagles would draft both Mixon and Perine, as they make a great combination & compliment each other really well. Now I'm just hoping for Perine--who'd be a steal in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Defensive players seem to bounce off of Perine, much as they do Ezekiel Elliott. Yes, Fournette has incredibly arm strength!! I don't think I've ever seen a RB throw defenders to the ground with just one swipe of his arm like Fournette does. But will that translate to the pros? because that's going to be a lot harder to do in the NFL (except with CBs maybe).

I agree that A.J. Bouye is a "tremendous player". He's also young. I say take a chance.

I'd bet good money the Eagles sign DeSean Jackson, but he will be their only veteran WR acquisition--though I wouldn't mind Cruz or Garcon either. Still, I think they need to go younger overall.

1wrangler--I like your guys a lot, especially Reuben Foster, who I'd love to see on the Eagles. However, my concern with Ramczyk is his recent surgery for a torn labrum. From my experience, hip problems are usually the beginning of the end for an athlete. Ramczyk's career will likely be plagued by chronic hip pain, and at some point (maybe even as early as 2017--depending on the success of the surgery), a loss of mobility. So, I wouldn't touch him. Beyond Ramczyk, I don't think it's a great year for O-L--but I don't know either Dawkins or Garcia very well. But I'd much rather see the Eagles get a guard in FA, such as Ronald Leary or Chance Warmack, and hopefully one of their two 'conversion' projects at OT will pay off to replace Peters, when the time comes.

It is possible with Ramczyk but I still like him much better than the guy projected to go ahead of him (Cam Robinson). Ramczyk consistently plays with a mean streak and I like attitude in offensive linemen. From all reports his surgery went well. Cam Robinson looks like a pro bowler one game and a bored disinterested linemen the next. I don't want guys that play inconsistently and have to be motivated to play their best. A lot of guys on this board are willing to take the risk on WR Mike Williams and he had a broken neck. What's to say that issue won't cause him some problems down the road? NFL players hit hard. I guess risk is an everyday occurrence in the NFL with players and with the guys who pick the players. LOL.

So where is our old buddy GBFL? Is he on vacation or something? He has to be going through withdrawal systems by now. LOL

The plan should be, and I believe will be, close to this:
1. Attempt to sign Jeffrey as a true #1 WR; if it can't be done then go for Desean, a true deep threat; if that's not possible, Pierre Garcon... a dependable guy who never drops balls.
2. Draft a CB #1
3. Draft a WR #2 (I like Zay Jones; if they sign Jeffrey, I might like Dede Westbrook more, the deep threat)
4. Draft either a second cornerback or OLB, which ever they grade higher when the picks arrives
5. DO NOT DRAFT A RB. Give the three rookies from last year, plus Barner, the chance to develop into a strong group (with Sproles there for a final season). The running game was good, especially in the last month, and if it proves to be lacking in 2017 then deal with it next offseason, but gives these young guys a full opportunity this year.

1. Attempt to sign Jeffrey as a true #1 WR; if it can't be done then go for Desean, a true deep threat; if that's not possible, Pierre Garcon... a dependable guy who never drops balls.
2. Draft a CB #1
3. Draft a WR #2 (I like Zay Jones; if they sign Jeffrey, I might like Dede Westbrook more, the deep threat)
4. Draft either a second cornerback or OLB, which ever they grade higher when the picks arrives
5. DO NOT DRAFT A RB. Give the three rookies from last year, plus Barner, the chance to develop into a strong group (with Sproles there for a final season). The running game was good, especially in the last month, and if it proves to be lacking in 2017 then deal with it next offseason, but gives these young guys a full opportunity this year.

I see some here want to sign Bouye. I doubt Houston will let him go, but I can't believe you guys haven't learned anything about the folly of FA CBs after the litany of failed ones we've signed in the past decade. One in twenty FA CBs, at best, are not dismal failures. Teams don't let really good cover corners leave any more than they let really good QBs leave in free agency.
Also, some here want a tackle high in the draft? Really? That's crazy.

Can't go crazy on bringing in new players;

The current unrestricted/restricted free agents are:

Unrestricted: Leodis McKelvin, Stephen Tulloch, Nolan Carroll, Bryan Braman, Bennie Logan, Najee Goode and Dwayne Gratz.

Restricted: Kenjon Barner, Jaylen Watkins and Trey Burton.

Have to make decisions on who to keep at what price and filling the holes they leave. Some player for player trades would be nice.

@1wrangler I took it as adversity on and off the field as far as off the field...the article did NOT imply legal off the field issues more like growing up in the most adverse home conditions.

2 hours ago, johnreaves said:

2. Draft a CB #1

I see some here want to sign Bouye. I doubt Houston will let him go, but I can't believe you guys haven't learned anything about the folly of FA CBs after the litany of failed ones we've signed in the past decade. One in twenty FA CBs, at best, are not dismal failures. Teams don't let really good cover corners leave any more than they let really good QBs leave in free agency.
Also, some here want a tackle high in the draft? Really? That's crazy.

I'm a crazy kind of guy!

2. Draft a CB #1

1) bleeding into 2) Paul Turner is like a young Pierre Garcon, I wouldn't go for him. would love to See Jeffry in an Eagle uniform, if they don't sign a difference maker in FA, then I would pick a WR first. CBs are a little deeper in the draft.
3) I would still like to see them get a young play making WR to grow with Wentz.
4) yes they need 2 corners.
5) I mostly agree, I like Smallwood, if they get a good primary back,instead of this RB by committee crap, that would make me happy.

johnreaves writes, "I can't believe you guys haven't learned anything about the folly of FA CBs after the litany of failed ones we've signed in the past decade"

I can believe it, unfortunately. Because other than maybe Brooks, the Eagles don't have any first class cornerbacks. With McKelvin gone, & Rowe given away for next to nothing, unless Carroll, Grymes, Mills, and CJ Smith show a significant improvement in 2017, this team doesn't have a single starting CB. Therefore, I don't think getting only two rookie CBs in the draft, as you suggest, is going to be anywhere near enough to fix the problem. Not unless the Eagles are willing to risk their entire 2017 season on 2 newbies working out as NFL starters in their very first year (speaking of bad odds). And if not, that means they have no choice but to make 1-2 CB acquisitions in FA.

This is what happens when you foolishly trade away players like Eric Rowe! Not only do the Eagles now have to scramble to find two legitimate starting CBs for 2017, but they also need to add more depth to the position. It's not a good place to be. Though Bill Belichick is certainly happy--as he depends on the Eagles [mis-] "management" to win Super Bowls.

So, I'm not crazy about seeing two rookie CBs starting for the Eagles next year. But it would depend on who they draft of course. If they intend to rely solely on rookies, given the poor CB situation, I'd say they have to pick up at least 4 CBs in the draft--in rounds one, two, three, and four--to even have a chance at finding two viable starters for 2017. Maybe it's worth doing.

On the other hand, A.J. Bouye is an impressive player, and worth taking a risk on, in my view. Though I agree, Houston would be foolish to let him go. I also think Denver's Keyvon Webster might be a smart acquisition for the Eagles, since he's more of a great special teams player, who has the potential to become a very good CB (& besides, he's not on every team's radar).

As for RBs, you have more faith in last year's rookies than I do. I hope you're right. But as I see it, Smallwood gets tackled too easily. Yes, he's quick, but he almost never breaks a tackle! Marshall is unproven, and who knows whether he'll even work out, and I haven't seen enough of the other guy to offer an opinion. In addition, Sproles is getting old, and the Eagles need to find his replacement sooner rather than later. Nor do we even yet know whether Matthews will be back in 2017 (& able to play at a high level). Like you, I hope Barner gets resigned--but surprisingly, coach Pederson only used him sparingly in 2016. So, it's not a very impressive picture, and again, I'd say the Eagles have no choice but to add a #1 RB for 2017.

One of the more affordable 'decent' backs on the FA market this year is Christine Michael. But I don't think the Eagles should pick him up, since Samaje Perine is right now the stronger back & he's younger, with less mileage. Though Michael might make a solid bridge for a year, if need be. I also don't see many RBs with the "McCoy-like" moves & blazing 4.3 40 speed of prospect Tarik Cohen, who is expected to go in the later rounds (due to his small size). I think Cohen would be a smart 5th to 7th round pick up--as a potential replacement for Sproles in 2018. There are several other college RBs that I like too.

9 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Not sure if these are the moves to make but....we have to start thinking outside the box more. This team needs so much to become a contender. And we aren't in great cap shape. AND we aren't the youngest team.

I sure don't want Desean Jackson here to teach our young guys the wrong way to be an NFL player. Jackson has and will always be a me 1st guy. I hope the pick up a solid vet that can act as a player/coach. I still believe that this is the issue with our WRs, that they have 0 veteran presence.

Depending how the management team feels about our present WR group, i think 1 solid vet and a 1st or 2nd round #1 WR to go with matthews, agholor, and DGB/turner, and we will be fine. I know this might sound a bit bonkers but, Boldin is a FA @ 34, Solid hands but most importantly, he is a guy thats been in the league a very long time and hopefully can fast track our current corps. I think that Agholor tries way to hard and its screwing him up. A vet might be able to show him all the right ways. Unless he gets traded, he will have this 1 last chance to impress.

Still wouldn't mind them taking 2 WRs in this draft. I'm just hoping they do in the later rounds(maybe 2-4). I think CB is the way to go in round 1. I really think whatever team gets Kupp, he will vault that team very fast. I also like Westbrook.

Not sure how many Eagles fans tune into the combine. I'm 1 of them. Its my favorite off-season activity. I'll be paying attention to later round projected WRs, RBs, CBs, and o-line men.

No loud moves yet for our Eagles but, i'm very excited for sept to get here.

I had issues with DJax when he was here, He did not perform well against bigger more physical corners. Yea  Chippa convinced me that DJax was a problem. Maybe Chippa problem was learning to manage young millionaires. Philly ain't Oregon, Chippa created a similar issue with Shady. Turns out  Chippa was the problem, and he gutted our team of Top tier talent...case in point we have lost to the Deadskins ever since Chippa cut him and DJax has become arguably the #1 Deep Threat in the league...as well as punished us every time we faced him .  The press and Chippa used hearsay, nothing was ever proven to blackball DJax and Shady. I would take Dlax back in a heartbeat... at the right price.