Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] A Schedule Of What's Ahead For Eagles

Not to mention Kayvon Webster has played for Undlin before and should have an understanding of what he wants from him 

I am not sold on Undlin yet. He has had numerous CB's to work with since his arrival in Philly including two different styles of defense to teach. I have not seen any cornerback that arrived here that he has made better. Granted, some of his talent hasn't been optimal but one of his pupils is now playing for the Patriots and couldn't get on the field here. Another one of his pupils played terrible here and is now playing great in Miami. I haven't seen any improvement in Nolan Carroll since he arrived. Jaylen Watkins will be in his third year and he hasn't impressed me as of yet. Keep your eyes on Mills in his second year to see what kind of improvement if any he makes from last year. We also have two more CB's in C.J.Smith and Aaron Grymes that should be challenging for some playing time if they are coached up properly. Living down here in Florida, I listen to games on radio a lot. You should hear Mike Quick going bananas every time a CB doesn't turn around to see where the ball is located. This situation hasn't changed from year to year since Undlin has been here.

40 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Well he could be available with the Steelers having to resign Brown and Bell. Neither of those contracts are going to be cheap propositions. I haven't made up my mind yet on how many free agents the Eagles will be interested in. Now that Peters is coming back at the same contract, that makes a little less cap space to spend. We also don't know if any existing players will be traded for more draft picks or player for player swaps. Way too many intangibles going on at the present time to get a feel for what is next. I do enjoy looking at the possibilities though. LOL

I think Peters informed them that this is his last year and he won't play anywhere else. So there is no trade value and he wouldn't restructure his deal out farther, so there only options were to cut him and make another hole or honor his contact and let him retire an Eagle.

Looks like he will be playing out his career then without winning a Super Bowl.

9 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I am not sold on Undlin yet. He has had numerous CB's to work with since his arrival in Philly including two different styles of defense to teach. I have not seen any cornerback that arrived here that he has made better. Granted, some of his talent hasn't been optimal but one of his pupils is now playing for the Patriots and couldn't get on the field here. Another one of his pupils played terrible here and is now playing great in Miami. I haven't seen any improvement in Nolan Carroll since he arrived. Jaylen Watkins will be in his third year and he hasn't impressed me as of yet. Keep your eyes on Mills in his second year to see what kind of improvement if any he makes from last year. We also have two more CB's in C.J.Smith and Aaron Grymes that should be challenging for some playing time if they are coached up properly. Living down here in Florida, I listen to games on radio a lot. You should hear Mike Quick going bananas every time a CB doesn't turn around to see where the ball is located. This situation hasn't changed from year to year since Undlin has been here.

He can only teach so much turning around and not getting beat is on the CB not him. He can teach technique, hand position and hand fighting at the line which I thought improved last year but he can't teach letting receivers by you or turning your head that's on the CB to know when to locate the ball. But if he is beat I would rather take a PI then a TD anyday.

5 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

At 35 I think he would rather play in the same system with his brothers and not have to learn new wording or a whole new system, plus I doubt he wants to uproot his family for 1 year in a different city.

27 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Udlin from what I seen has had guys perform for him but a serious lack of talent at the position has hurt him... Rowe seemed to be coming along nicely until Schwartz and we traded him, Mills has had good moments development is key..... Truly Udlin has had nobody to truly develop since coming to Philly guys like Carroll and Mckelvin, Williams,Fletcher etc. were not going to be changed much they were who they were. The best we have on Udlin and developing talent is what he did out in Denver which he did pretty well on.... 

5 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Udlin from what I seen has had guys perform for him but a serious lack of talent at the position has hurt him... Rowe seemed to be coming along nicely until Schwartz and we traded him, Mills has had good moments development is key..... Truly Udlin has had nobody to truly develop since coming to Philly guys like Carroll and Mckelvin, Williams,Fletcher etc. were not going to be changed much they were who they were. The best we have on Udlin and developing talent is what he did out in Denver which he did pretty well on.... 

I'm not evaluating anything that happened under chip kelly (his name doesn't deserve to be capitalized) those defenses were on the field 45 mins a game hard to do anything right at that point.

35 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

At what point in time do you arrive at the coach being the problem and not everyone of the players. Just asking?

23 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

At 35 I think he would rather play in the same system with his brothers and not have to learn new wording or a whole new system, plus I doubt he wants to uproot his family for 1 year in a different city.

Don't get me wrong DDD, I have always liked Peters but he is the one who said he wanted to win a Super Bowl before he finished his career. Obviously if the Eagles would have cut him he could have had the opportunity to negotiate with any team in the NFL interested in his services, who he thought was close to winning one. In the end, he chose the money over the chance for a Super Bowl. That of course was his choice.

2 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Don't get me wrong DDD, I have always liked Peters but he is the one who said he wanted to win a Super Bowl before he finished his career. Obviously if the Eagles would have cut him he could have had the opportunity to negotiate with any team in the NFL interested in his services, who he thought was close to winning one. In the end, he chose the money over the chance for a Super Bowl. That of course was his choice.

Or he chooses his family over a superbowl and that I can definitely respect. He seems to be that kind of man. Also nobody is saying we can't win a superbowl next year with the right pieces anything is possible. 

I like feel good stories like Peters career. Undrafted TE out of Arkansas signed by the Bills who switches positions and becomes All Pro Left tackle. I would like another feel good story for the Eagles. DT Taylor Hart drafted in the 5th round switches positions to Offensive Tackle after struggling in his previous position and now takes over for Jason Peters. LOL I'm pulling for you Taylor.

3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

At what point in time do you arrive at the coach being the problem and not everyone of the players. Just asking?

When the coach has players to play..... We have seen Cary Williams, Bradley Fletcher, Mckelvin etc. all fail with other teams and coaches as well so maybe the problem is again the players not the coach.....Also again what is the difference between what Udlin did in Denver vs here in Philly??? He did not just magically became a bad coach..... SO ultimately it makes me believe that it is a lack of talent....So if Udlin can not develop talent that I am fully expecting Eagles to get him this coming offseason then I will say hey we need a new coach 

4 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

When the coach has players to play..... We have seen Cary Williams, Bradley Fletcher, Mckelvin etc. all fail with other teams and coaches as well so maybe the problem is again the players not the coach.....Also again what is the difference between what Udlin did in Denver vs here in Philly??? He did not just magically became a bad coach..... SO ultimately it makes me believe that it is a lack of talent....So if Udlin can not develop talent that I am fully expecting Eagles to get him this coming offseason then I will say hey we need a new coach 

Cary Williams, Bradley fletcher and Mckelvin I can maybe understand but what about Rowe and Maxwell? So what your thinking is if Undlin can't get the CB's "you" think are good to play well, you will blame him, but until that happens you will blame all the players.

4 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I can maybe understand but what about Rowe and Maxwell?

Rowe was coming along nicely under Udlin no???? Can't be blamed for Schwartz and the FO moving on from him.....As for Maxwell he was not as terrible as so many fans made him out to be he was a good CB would have been a solid #1 but everyone wanted that shutdown guy....Also didn't help that they play in Chippers system which made our D players play 2-3 games worth of snaps over the rest of the league 

7 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

So what your thinking is if Undlin can't get the CB's "you" think are good to play well, you will blame him, but until that happens you will blame all the players.

My point is really that they go hand in hand ..... How can you judge a coach when he doesn't have the talent..... From what I seen from Rowe and Mills Udlin had them going in the right directions( could even make a case for Shepard before his ACL injury).....I want to see what Udlin can do with actual talent not these stop gap fillers that we have signed since he has been here.... I want to see Mills development from year 1 to year 2(wanted to see Rowes as well but that didn't happen) I want to see Udlin work with a top pick CB rook see how he progresses through the year.....If these guys are not progressing then yes I would say Udlin may need to go but not basing him off of Fletcher, Williams, McKelvin, Brooks and whoever else stop gap guys we have had 

My bad Williams/Fletcher were not here for Undlin..... So Undlin had worked with Carroll, Maxwell, Rowe,Mills,Mckelvin, Brooks......So really the only player Undlin has had a chance to work with more then 1 season has been Carroll.....Carroll is not a superstar by any means but was a solid player would have been a solid #2 or great role player 

4 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

I like feel good stories like Peters career. Undrafted TE out of Arkansas signed by the Bills who switches positions and becomes All Pro Left tackle. I would like another feel good story for the Eagles. DT Taylor Hart drafted in the 5th round switches positions to Offensive Tackle after struggling in his previous position and now takes over for Jason Peters. LOL I'm pulling for you Taylor.

What a waste of a roster spot that guy has been. He should have been on the practice squad all this time. We need some kind of payoff for all that patience.

@GENETIC-FREAK Not sure if you've seen it yet, McLaren's MCL32, season's getting closer.

C5bPF67WcAAPVTl_zpsosiiueqk.jpg

Turning back the clock with the colour. Im more a fan of the black silver red or the white n red. Orange dont do it for me.

What your thoughts?

Like I said earlier you can't judge guys on D when they are playing 45-50 minutes a game plus running practice at the same pace as games everyone was run down and dragging a$$ by the end of the year on D. Look at Cox's numbers even, he would start out strong and fade at the end of the year. Same could be said for our run stopping. 

I found this quote by Undlin.

"Teach and demand,'' Undlin said of his secret in getting the players to admire him. "Let me put it this way, here's the difference, you can teach young men how to play, you can teach them the technique. At the end of the day it's up to them to say 'I believe in this.' Or they can say 'I don't believe in that.' Fortunately for me I have 16 guys in that room that believe in what we're teaching and they are going out and doing it.

JMO but since everyone is going out and doing what Undlin is teaching, then does this mean that none of the players are being taught to turn around and look for the ball since no one is doing that?

56 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I found this quote by Undlin.

"Teach and demand,'' Undlin said of his secret in getting the players to admire him. "Let me put it this way, here's the difference, you can teach young men how to play, you can teach them the technique. At the end of the day it's up to them to say 'I believe in this.' Or they can say 'I don't believe in that.' Fortunately for me I have 16 guys in that room that believe in what we're teaching and they are going out and doing it.

JMO but since everyone is going out and doing what Undlin is teaching, then does this mean that none of the players are being taught to turn around and look for the ball since no one is doing that?

That's on the player not the coach IMO you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink... unless you hold his head under water but that does not help much. It needs the instincts to do it itself kinda like a DB you can teach them to the catch point but they need the instincts to turn around.