Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boss Hawg

OFFICIAL: Brock Osweiler traded to Browns, may be cut soon after

34 posts in this topic

Brilliant if you think about it. The Browns get an extra 2 and have the money to eat Brock's contract.

1 person likes this

So if I understand correctly the Browns just paid 16mil for a 2018 2nd rnd pick ?

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Boss Hawg said:

Brilliant if you think about it. The Browns get an extra 2 and have the money to eat Brock's contract.

However this is the Browns who always made stupid draft decisions and have had many good picks like this before. They still are saying they were glad they didn't get Wentz!! Still need a QB, RB, defense. Weak draft for QB too. They also cut RGIII btw 

They did it to load up on a package for Jimmy Garoppolo from New England.

1 person likes this

I really do see the sense here from both sides. Houston clear the space to bring in Romo (I'm guessing that's going to be a definite move for them now) and Cleveland bring in an extra 2nd round pick next year. 

I don't care if they are cutting him the browns are so freaking stupid. 

Just illustrates how bad that Osweiler signing a year ago was.  He was so bad they had to give up a 2nd rounder to just to get him off the books.

This kind of stuff just makes me even happier we have Wentz we don't have to keep spinning the roulette wheel of bad to mediocre qbs.

I like that the Browns are making all these moves to get more draft picks but I still don't trust them to make good use of them

2 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I don't care if they are cutting him the browns are so freaking stupid. 

Only if Brock signs with a new team for vet minimum then Cleveland will be stuck to pay over 15mill. If the new team signs him for let's say 10mill, then Cleveland is on the hook for 6mill. But I doubt any team will be dumb enough to pay him anymore then league min. 

They essentially paid 16mil to get a 2nd rnd pick in 2018.

What's the average salary of a 2nd round pick?

Assume for a moment that the Browns will release him and get nothing else for him and they use that pick in the draft. They paid $16 Million plus whatever that players salary is.

9 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Only if Brock signs with a new team for vet minimum then Cleveland will be stuck to pay over 15mill. If the new team signs him for let's say 10mill, then Cleveland is on the hook for 6mill. But I doubt any team will be dumb enough to pay him anymore then league min. 

They essentially paid 16mil to get a 2nd rnd pick in 2018.

Dude, crappy backup QBs make more than the league minimum. Good backups get multi-million dollar contracts. Fringe starters get $5-10MM easy. There's no doubt the Browns are looking to flip him for more picks. They already have 11 in each of the next two drafts. 

4 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Assume for a moment that the Browns will release him and get nothing else for him and they use that pick in the draft. They paid $16 Million plus whatever that players salary is.

They have to spend 97% of the salary cap over a three year period. They can either sign scrubs to lucrative multi year contracts or "buy" some draft picks. 

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

They can essentially pay 16 million for a 2nd round player. Makes the browns a joke

Just now, bwestbrook36 said:

They can essentially pay 16 million for a 2nd round player. Makes the browns a joke

$16 Million plus whatever the salary for that player is. I don't know what the average for a 2nd rounder is.

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

$16 Million plus whatever the salary for that player is. I don't know what the average for a 2nd rounder is.

Not that much that's for sure

It's actually a brilliant move when you consider that the Browns have over 100m in cap space. The Browns are doing a Hinkie. Plus as the cap rises, expect to see more deals like this anyway because quite simply the aren't enough good players to justify a 175m+ salary cap. If there were, there wouldn't be what 10 teams with over 30m of space. 

2 minutes ago, dms9950 said:

It's actually a brilliant move when you consider that the Browns have over 100m in cap space. The Browns are doing a Hinkie. Plus as the cap rises, expect to see more deals like this anyway because quite simply the aren't enough good players to justify a 175m+ salary cap. If there were, there wouldn't be what 10 teams with over 30m of space. 

If they use the pick in the draft, and don't trade it and if they cut Osweiler, I don't know that I'd call it brilliant. If that pick turns out to be their 20 year franchise QB, ok. If that pick turns out to be the next coming of Reggie White, ok. If that pick turns out to be a worse pick than Manziel... not so much.  

The Browns have a stupid amount of cap room, but they must hit the NFL's cap floor, which is 89% of the salary cap I believe.  I mean, they had like $92 mil to spend before FA started.  Even signing Britt, resigning Pryor, and those two deals they gave to those guards, they still have an absurd amount of cap room.  Taking on Osweiler's contract ensures they hit the cap floor and they get the 2nd round pick as a consolation prize.  Plus, as somebody else pointed out, they could turn that 2nd rounder into more firepower if they pursue Garroppolo

2 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I think the joke here is the Texans. They're the team that overpaid for a mediocre free agent quarterback, benched him during the season, and had to unload him as soon as they could while sweetening the pot with a future second round pick. 

3 people like this

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Pretty sure Browns have made the "replacement level" calculation and multliplied by the bust risk.  This is a baseball move.  Without doing the math I'd say $16m for a 2nd rd pick sounds a a bit high.

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Pretty sure Browns have made the "replacement level" calculation and multliplied by the bust risk.  This is a baseball move.  Without doing the math I'd say $16m for a 2nd rd pick sounds a a bit high.

If they think Osweiler can be their QB, that's one thing. But if they just paid $16 Million for the pick and that's that, well on the face of it, it looks like a typical Browns move. Maybe they can parlay it into something better. We'll see.

7 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I think the joke here is the Texans. They're the team that overpaid for a mediocre free agent quarterback, benched him during the season, and had to unload him as soon as they could while sweetening the pot with a future second round pick. 

All true if you put it that way. I'll say it this way then, they are both pretty stupid. 

7 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

or it's a simple case of realizing you made a mistake and taking corrective measures. Law of action at its finest. 

Nobody on here cares, but this time last year, I was vocal about how completely ridiculous the contract was that Houston paid Osweiler... 

I said it was WAY much money to pay him for such an unproven QB. He played very up and down in 2015 here in Denver and it was a very small body of work to invest that much in him...

I also said that Osweiler was an idiot for chasing slightly more money than what Denver was offering him and he had the chance to stay on a Super Bowl champion team that he had some familiarity with... well, he took a little more pay, thinking his sh!t didn't stink, and now his career is likely to be over very soon... 

I guess he could catch on as a backup, but as far as the NFL is concerned, he's tainted goods... I doubt he gets any serious interest from any NFL team as a legitimate starter... Hell... even Cleveland is trying to unload him and they have the worst QB dilemma in the NFL right now.

If I'm the owner of the Texans, I would fire the GM immediately... I don't care if he was able to unload Osweiler and that contract... the fact that he overvalued him so much and offered him so much speaks volumes to me about his abilities as a GM... 

10 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Oh absolutely!  This all seems like a case where you laugh at both teams, but I'd laugh at the Texans much harder.  How does Rick Smith get away wit this?  If this were a new GM cleaning up after a fired one it's at least an understandable deal, but RSmith cleaning his own mess by shipping away a 2nd rd pick?????:roll:

14 minutes ago, Mr_Bueno said:

Nobody on here cares, but this time last year, I was vocal about how completely ridiculous the contract was that Houston paid Osweiler...

I did also, thought it was easily the worst deal of last years FA.