Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Stoutland Thrilled With State Of O-Line

They were a lot of fun GB, at least for me. Then the music changed. Wish you were here, sound like a fun guy to crack a few with - except it's 7 degrees out w/ the f'n wind chill! Fire's goin and the music's on. We're adapting up here, the cold really isn't that bad as long as the wind isn't. I could sure handle a nice warm breeze in FL tho. We're going to Curacao next yr. If it's as nice as I think it is it's final destination when she retires. Laid back, nice weather, peaceful.

Nice there,but I dunno if I'd like to live there!!! St.Maartens I would.Talk about laid back!!!

I don't know if the Jenkins trade rumor is true or not, but is it so out of character for the Eagles of recent years (& Howie Roseman) to give up one of our very best players for a player of lesser quality, or in an unfavorable return? (I've been bracing myself for yet another bad trade this free agency period.) After all, each of the past two Super Bowl champions has had a former Eagle *starting* for them, who was given to them prior to the beginning of the season for next to nothing, and in positions that the Eagles, as it turned out, proved very weak in--O-L in 2015 (Evan Mathis), and CB in 2016 (Eric Rowe). So, if true, the deal appears to be part of the same pattern that needlessly squandered away (or let go) McCoy, Jackson, Murray, Foles, Mathis, Macklin, Rowe, etc., creating gaps that have proven very difficult to fill.

The truth is Malcolm Jenkins was one of the chief reasons why we won games against some of the better teams we beat last year. Without Jenkins, our poor CBs wouldn't have been able to adequately cover the likes of Antonio Brown in the Pitt game, etc. etc. I wonder if they were thinking they could draft a S/CB in rounds 1 or 2 to replace Jenkins? Well, good luck with that. Once more, it shows how this organization has trouble seeing who their best players are, or fully appreciating how difficult it is to replace those players. That's why Bill Belichick remains so friendly with the Eagles. He names the players he wants, and we give him those players for next to nothing.

For example, you'd think the Eagles would have had enough savvy--when Belichick came calling for Eric Rowe, offering us a future fourth round pick for a recent second round pick--to realize it was a terrible deal. It should be an unwritten rule that when a hall of fame coach like Belichick wants a player off your team, that that player should probably be starting on your team. I mention this because I hope this pattern of mistakes that have cost the Eagles so dearly in recent years, will recede far into the past in 2017.

First round is still iffy but I think we go Cooper Kupp in the second. I think thats the game plan for FO. They've shown a lot of interest in him and we aren't really tied to any receivers long term 

15 hours ago, MrSimpson said:

Not sure who our starting guards will be--that's a good sign. As I wrote on these threads in early 2016, our O-L won't be a top NFL line until we can't guess who the starting lineup will be heading into the pre-season. It looks like we've reached that point. All that remains now is to find Jason Peter's eventual replacement at OT--hopefully, Taylor Hart will work out in a big way, +/or draft a promising prospect in 2017, or possibly Vaitai.

yeah looks like Brooks has it at LG,so Wis and Warmack should compete for RG

wasn't Brooks RG last year and Barbre et al. at LG

3 CB's,WR,RB,DE,OT,maybe add a FB late

what about DT...if Logan isn't just checking the market and waiting to re-sign. Probably will release Ryan Mathews

16 hours ago, bgboy said:

Now we have FOUR guys to compete at LG...can we please start looking at CB, RB and DL?!

Right now, the Eagles have 17 O-Lineman on their roster, a lot of time between now and TC, it's unlikely the Eagles keep them all, you usually only have about 10 or 11 on the roster at the start of the season.

Wisniewski and Warnack were just signed. Seumalo looked promising last year. Brooks is a big ticket guy...so maybe Barbre is the odd man out - of those 10 probably 4Gs and 4Ts plus 1-2 Cs

15 hours ago, bgboy said:

gotta have em, but right now we have not starting CB....at this point we would have to outscore people 40-30

Pump the brakes. Mills is a starting caliber CB and it's not like the Eagles will go into TC without addressing the position further. They will draft a few CB's, relax.

just talking priorities, but the fact we have no experienced starting CB on the roster - even at this point in the year - is unusual...well, unless you count NJ's own Dwayne Gratz with the Jags a few years back (he was released by Jags and cut by Rams....if that says anything)

15 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Washington CB Sidney Jones, consensus first-round NFL draft prospect, leaves pro day on a cart after suffering apparent left leg injury.

Depending on the severity of the injury he could really fall even if it is an ACL I would take him in the 3rd it would be like getting an extra 1st Rd pick next year

like how we got JMills so late

15 hours ago, MrSimpson said:

Not sure who our starting guards will be--that's a good sign. As I wrote on these threads in early 2016, our O-L won't be a top NFL line until we can't guess who the starting lineup will be heading into the pre-season. It looks like we've reached that point. All that remains now is to find Jason Peter's eventual replacement at OT--hopefully, Taylor Hart will work out in a big way, +/or draft a promising prospect in 2017, or possibly Vaitai.

We need to find Johnson replacement not Peters. Johnson is Peters replacement.

if he can stay out of the PED headlines

15 hours ago, EaglesB#1again said:
  15 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

need to add a LB more than a FB

Would not panic there either,we have guys we don't know what they can bring and remember the one we were high on was hurt last year

Kendricks seems to be in a fog (maybe it is the schematic changes, maybe its not) but yes, it will be good to see Walker play again

I don't know if the Jenkins trade rumor is true or not, but is it so out of character for the Eagles of recent years (& Howie Roseman) to give up one of our very best players for a player of lesser quality, or in an unfavorable return? (I've been bracing myself for yet another bad trade this free agency period.) After all, each of the past two Super Bowl champions has had a former Eagle *starting* for them, who was given to them prior to the beginning of the season for next to nothing, and in positions that the Eagles, as it turned out, proved very weak in--O-L in 2015 (Evan Mathis), and CB in 2016 (Eric Rowe). So, if true, the deal appears to be part of the same pattern that needlessly squandered away (or let go) McCoy, Jackson, Murray, Foles, Mathis, Macklin, Rowe, etc., creating gaps that have proven very difficult to fill.

The truth is Malcolm Jenkins was one of the chief reasons why we won games against some of the better teams we beat last year. Without Jenkins, our poor CBs wouldn't have been able to adequately cover the likes of Antonio Brown in the Pitt game, etc. etc. I wonder if they were thinking they could draft a S/CB in rounds 1 or 2 to replace Jenkins? Well, good luck with that. Once more, it shows how this organization has trouble seeing who their best players are, or fully appreciating how difficult it is to replace those players. That's why Bill Belichick remains so friendly with the Eagles. He names the players he wants, and we give him those players for next to nothing.

For example, you'd think the Eagles would have had enough savvy--when Belichick came calling for Eric Rowe, offering us a future fourth round pick for a recent second round pick--to realize it was a terrible deal. It should be an unwritten rule that when a hall of fame coach like Belichick wants a player off your team, that that player should probably be starting on your team. I mention this because I hope this pattern of mistakes that have cost the Eagles so dearly in recent years, will recede far into the past in 2017.

Dion Lewis developed into quite a player for Belichek also

First round is still iffy but I think we go Cooper Kupp in the second. I think thats the game plan for FO. They've shown a lot of interest in him and we aren't really tied to any receivers long term 

Too slow IMO

Fact remains Smith,JMatt,Jeffrey could ALL be gone after this upcoming season.If we want to build a solid future WR corps we should draft a decent WR every year(you know they get hurt also).Keep them in the pipeline.This lack of planning is what we have always done(until now).After 3 years of ignoring the Oline,that came back to haunt us.Same with WR's.AG is basically a bust or at best mediocre.Now I feel we have a better staff in place as far as finding talent and the key here is PROGRESSING them,something else we have seemed to lack.Same could be said about RB or any other team position.This is a new era with what I believe is a competent staff.Will take time to improve EVERY position,but we have begun that.Goota get to the point where you can draft BPA and NOT base it on need,but improvement at any given position.SO lets start the pipeline flowing,so we can contend annually like some teams that are already at that point.

4 hours ago, KevvMoss said:

Fact remains Smith,JMatt,Jeffrey could ALL be gone after this upcoming season.If we want to build a solid future WR corps we should draft a decent WR every year(you know they get hurt also).Keep them in the pipeline.This lack of planning is what we have always done(until now).After 3 years of ignoring the Oline,that came back to haunt us.Same with WR's.AG is basically a bust or at best mediocre.Now I feel we have a better staff in place as far as finding talent and the key here is PROGRESSING them,something else we have seemed to lack.Same could be said about RB or any other team position.This is a new era with what I believe is a competent staff.Will take time to improve EVERY position,but we have begun that.Goota get to the point where you can draft BPA and NOT base it on need,but improvement at any given position.SO lets start the pipeline flowing,so we can contend annually like some teams that are already at that point.

You could say that about almost every position. A WR isn't much good if the O line can't hold up for a few seconds so Wentz can get the ball away. A great pass rushing D line isn't much good if the CBs can't hold up for 2 seconds. (last year was a perfect example). Conversely a great secondary is worthless if the D line doesn't generate a pass rush.

I think its dangerous to put excessive resources on just one position.

BPA all day long. Well maybe not if it is a QB when our turn comes up.

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

You could say that about almost every position. A WR isn't much good if the O line can't hold up for a few seconds so Wentz can get the ball away. A great pass rushing D line isn't much good if the CBs can't hold up for 2 seconds. (last year was a perfect example). Conversely a great secondary is worthless if the D line doesn't generate a pass rush.

I did say that about every position

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

If the BPA is a QB,then by your standards we should take him.We are not at that point yet,we must still draft BPA for NEED until we have that luxury

Supposedly Joe Douglas is setting the board. Could go back to his old teams to get clues as to how they drafted compared to bpa/team needs.

18 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  18 hours ago, EaglesB#1again said:
  18 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

need to add a LB more than a FB

Would not panic there either,we have guys we don't know what they can bring and remember the one we were high on was hurt last year

Kendricks seems to be in a fog (maybe it is the schematic changes, maybe its not) but yes, it will be good to see Walker play again

Kendricks seems to also be a weak minded individual. The culture my home state of California breeds seems to have built his character. Youth that feel they deserve everything handed to them and don't have to earn anything.
Rarely plays through soft injuries. Mad because a coach made him play in the last preseason game. Dude, you been terrible for 2-3 years running, you need all the practice snaps you can get. Chip fed right into his ego by giving him a contract I thought he didn't really earn.

Washington cornerback Sidney Jones reportedly suffered a torn Achilles during his pro day workout Saturday. The injury occurred on Jones’ final drill of the day.

Just had NFL source (in attendance at Washington pro day) text:

"It's a torn Achilles" he was told for CB Sidney Jones. As feared.

— Eric Edholm (@Eric_Edholm) March 11, 2017

You really have to have some empathy for Jones. Like most of the kids in this draft, their football careers probably started in Pop Warner somewhere around age 8 or a little older. A lot of these kids busted their butts for a lot of years chasing the dream. Now one play away from finishing his pro day Jones life is probably changed forever. Not many players make it back the whole way from this injury. The deck is stacked against the kid ever being what he was. This situation is going to be tough for him to wrap his brain around for a long time.