Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Looking At The State Of The Eagles

Getting a little nasty with Butler in New England. Wondering if Bill Belichick is going to want to put up with the cancer in the locker room caused by his contract issues this year.

13 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Anyone shoveling snow this morning?

Not here, was expected to see 1-3 over night, additional 1-3 today and another 1-2 tonight. Got a light dusting :lol:

Talked to my brother this morning in York, Pa. He said they have 12 inches so far and still coming down. LOL

Just now, 1wrangler said:

Talked to my brother this morning in York, Pa. He said they have 12 inches so far and still coming down. LOL

Yeah, Eastern PA is getting hammered.

So, anyone have any ideas where Daniels might end up? My theory is that some team will sign him at 1.5 to 2 mil a year to COMPETE for a starting job.

Getting a little nasty with Butler in New England. Wondering if Bill Belichick is going to want to put up with the cancer in the locker room caused by his contract issues this year.

Would any other team? He's probably hurting his trade stock

Had to laugh when I read a Jimmy Kempski article this morning with his potential draft picks when he had us taking OT Dan Skipper in the 7th round. Although I don't think Skipper will be available in the 7th round, it is nice to know that someone other than myself likes the guy. LOL

1 hour ago, johnreaves said:

Forget RB. Sproles, Smallwood, Marshall, and Watkins are fine. In the first three rounds I see CB, DE, CB...or DE, CB, CB.

Sproles-probably his final year.RMat always hurt,Watkins/Marshall-no experience,Smalls improving,so forget RB to groom for next year?

You mean Watson, not Watkins

24 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Would any other team? He's probably hurting his trade stock

Butler is a RFA this year with a 1st round tender assigned to him. The last I looked he has not signed his 3.9 mil tender for the upcoming season. New England still has plenty of cap space and Butler believes he should be paid as high as Gilmore, the player NE just signed. His agent is making plenty of waves with management about the whole thing and NE management is getting upset. They don't believe he is worth as much as Gilmore. Butler believes he is getting low balled. So the saga continues. I guess you are worth what someone wants to pay. LOL He did make the pro bowl. I am just wondering if the Patriots would trade him for the right player and make the problem go away. He reportedly blocked a trade with the Saints for Cooks by not signing his tender sheet so he is probably not in NE long term plans. I only see him playing out his last year with them.

Juszcyk more of a large TE. Played 785 snaps last yr - 463 on O, 322 ST. Can catch, carry and block - one heck of a weapon. He's gone, move on. I'm w/ those who feel we had a shot at one of the CB's. Fo seems adamant about gettings something for players with trade value. A good thing until you miss out on players that could help this team.

15 hours ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Hope we keep JMatt. O looks good minus a RB. Just need to focus on D now.

That's like saying that car for sale looks good it just doesn't have an engine lol

3 hours ago, johnreaves said:

Forget RB. Sproles, Smallwood, Marshall, and Watkins are fine. In the first three rounds I see CB, DE, CB...or DE, CB, CB.

Absolutely fine. Sproles is a scat back who only thrives in a complimentary role(I love rooting for him). Smallwood was a rookie that showed very little and then got injured. Marshall is practice squad material at best. Watson could be a good change up from the small complimentary backs. But he has how many carries? Going into the season with this at RB is giving up on the 2017 season if you ask me.

Unfortunately, there's no way the Eagles can afford to "forget RB". If the injury prone Matthews goes, the only *proven* RB they have on the roster is Sproles, who retires in 2018--that's just around the corner in football time. Also, Smallwood gets tackled too easily. He doesn't struggle enough to stay on his feet. Which means that Smallwood will have to improve a good deal in 2017 in order to become a viable #1 or #2 NFL RB.

I'm not averse to the idea of acquiring the Packers' RB Eddie Lacy on the cheap, with a $ incentive in his contract that he achieve and maintain a lower weight (maybe 225-230)--and with a provision that if he doesn't, we can part ways with him & his contract in the pre-season or regular season. Right now, he's much too overweight, & that extra weight slows him down and makes him less quick. Before signing Lacy, however, the Eagles should first have him meet with our team nutritionist, who could help him change his diet (cut sugar out & lower his glycemic intake), so that he could more easily lose the weight. That way the Eagles could get a better sense of how serious Lacy is about earnestly changing his eating habits (& training habits?)--for the sake of his NFL career, and for his future well being. (Does he still care enough?) A revitalized, leaner, faster Eddie Lacy, Sproles, Samaje Perine, and maybe James Connor or Terrell Watson could get the job done for the Eagles in 2017. (Though with those players, we might not even need Lacy.)

I really like GreenbleedinFL's mock draft below, especially the first four picks:

"1)Humphrey-CB-Alabama 2)Demarcus Walker-DE-FSU 3)Chris Godwin-WR-Penn 4)Perine-RB-Oklahoma"

If the Eagles could acquire those four players, it would be a great draft!

You seem to be the only other person here that likes DE Demarcus Walker besides me. What I most like about Walker is his versatility--that he's quick enough to play OLB, along with DE. So, if Means, Smith, or McAllister were to prove they can more than get the job done at DE in the pre-season (& I think highly of Means), the Eagles could easily switch Walker to OLB, where we might actually need him more in 2017--especially if we were to trade Kendricks. Walker may even be more suited to OLB in the NFL anyway. But, unfortunately, I doubt Perine will last to the 4th round. If he does, he'll be the steal of the draft.

Here's another potential draft scenario:

1. CB Marlon Humphrey
2. CB Sidney Jones (for 2018) (or CB Kevin King, if still available.)
3. DE/OLB Demarcus Walker (who may drop to the 3rd round after his Combine showing)
4. RB Samaje Perine
4. CB Chidobe Awuzie
5. RB Tarik Cohen
6. CB Ashton Lampkin
7. WR Kermit Whitfield--the Eagles need more speed (& Whitfield and Cohen will give them that).
7. S Jordan Sterns--an underrated safety. We need more than Watkins as back up. (or LB Jalen-Reeves Maybin.)

Undrafted--WR Trey Griffey, either S Orion Smith, Xavier Woods, or Tedric Thompson, if any go undrafted, RB Terrell Beckham, WR Rodney Adams or WR Keon Hatcher, LB Ironhead Gallon, and G Kofi Amichia or G Isaac Asiata, and OT Connor McDermott, if he doesn't get drafted.

Unfortunately, there's no way the Eagles can afford to "forget RB". If the injury prone Matthews goes, the only *proven* RB they have on the roster is Sproles, who retires in 2018--that's just around the corner in football time. Also, Smallwood gets tackled too easily. He doesn't struggle enough to stay on his feet. Which means that Smallwood will have to improve a good deal in 2017 in order to become a viable #1 or #2 NFL RB.

I'm not averse to the idea of acquiring the Packers' RB Eddie Lacy on the cheap, with a $ incentive in his contract that he achieve and maintain a lower weight (maybe 225-230)--and with a provision that if he doesn't, we can part ways with him & his contract in the pre-season or regular season. Right now, he's much too overweight, & that extra weight slows him down and makes him less quick. Before signing Lacy, however, the Eagles should first have him meet with our team nutritionist, who could help him change his diet (cut sugar out & lower his glycemic intake), so that he could more easily lose the weight. That way the Eagles could get a better sense of how serious Lacy is about earnestly changing his eating habits (& training habits?)--for the sake of his NFL career, and for his future well being. (Does he still care enough?) A revitalized, leaner, faster Eddie Lacy, Sproles, Samaje Perine, and maybe James Connor or Terrell Watson could get the job done for the Eagles in 2017. (Though with those players, we might not even need Lacy.)

I really like GreenbleedinFL's mock draft below, especially the first four picks:

"1)Humphrey-CB-Alabama 2)Demarcus Walker-DE-FSU 3)Chris Godwin-WR-Penn 4)Perine-RB-Oklahoma"

You seem to be the only other person here that likes DE Demarcus Walker besides me. What I most like about Walker is his versatility--that he's quick enough to play OLB, along with DE. So, if Means, Smith, or McAllister were to prove they can more than get the job done at DE in the pre-season (& I think highly of Means), the Eagles could easily switch Walker to OLB, where we might actually need him more in 2017--especially if we were to trade Kendricks. Walker may even be more suited to OLB in the NFL anyway. But, unfortunately, I doubt Perine will last to the 4th round. If he does, he'll be the steal of the draft.

Perine is ranked to go(by CBS)in 4 so........

To my alternative draft scenario below, I wanted to add that the foot speed and quickness of WR Whitfield (& maybe WR Treggs), RB Sproles, and RB Cohen, along with their (difficult to tackle) small sizes on the field, at the same time, for long enough, would eventually exhaust opposing defenses. What a nightmare those three players would be to cover in combination. It would be impossible to consistently cover all three at once. Together, they'd be too fast and quick. Then, when the defenses are totally worn down, simply have Alshon Jeffrey or Torrey Smith go vertical! & afterwards, put more speedsters back out onto the field. The opposing D's will go numb.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, MrSimpson said:

Perine is ranked to go(by CBS)in 4 so........

I agree....I would love to see the Eagles get Godwin & Perine in the 3rd & 4th rounds.

To my alternative draft scenario below, I wanted to add that the foot speed and quickness of WR Whitfield (& maybe WR Treggs), RB Sproles, and RB Cohen, along with their (difficult to tackle) small sizes on the field, at the same time, for long enough, would eventually exhaust opposing defenses. What a nightmare those three players would be to cover in combination. It would be impossible to consistently cover all three at once. Together, they'd be too fast and quick. Then, when the defenses are totally worn down, simply have Alshon Jeffrey or Torrey Smith go vertical! & afterwards, put more speedsters back out onto the field. The opposing D's will go numb.

Well Jones is out of round 2,may not even make 3 now

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:34 AM, MrSimpson said:

Well Jones is out of round 2,may not even make 3 now

Dalvin cook with #14 pick! Absolutely. Jones will still go in the second round.