Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Offense Building Toward Something Special

The Eagles could probably "trade back" in the first round and still pick up Humphrey or King or T. White--but I'm not overly keen on White myself, since I have doubts about him working out as starter for 2017. It could also prove a risky move to make.

If the Eagles are still planning to find a CB in free agency, it looks like they'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point--since who's left now? So, I think they'll have to draft no fewer than 3-4 CBs in this years draft, in hopes that two of them work out as starters. In my opinion, they should draft 4 CBs (including Ashton Lampkin in the late rounds), just to be sure--because if they don't adequately solve this huge weakness, it will negatively impact their entire season.

In addition, obviously the Eagles can't "build something special" with their revamped offense, without a top #1 RB (or two) in the backfield. Nor can they fully rely on Sproles or RMatt to be their #1 in 2017 either, each for different reasons.

So again, if they don't manage to pick up a first rate #1 RB in free agency--with Eddie Lacy, Latavius Murray, etc. now gone--they'll have no choice but to take 2 or 3 RBs in the draft: in hopes that 1 rookie will work out as their #1 RB for 2017. As I've mentioned before, I think Perine or Mixon, and Connor +/or Cohen could get the job done. But Fournette or Cook and Perine (or Mixon) would be an even more exciting combination.

Think there is only 1 starter quality CB left n he could be signing with the Jets anytime now.

RMatt cant take physical until June or July i read. So not sure when he can be released or what gonna happen.

Drafting 2-3 RBs be a bit overkill dont you think?? lol

24 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

You guys that watch college a lot; give me the best 5 CBs in this draft in order. Then the best five OTs in order. Then the best five LBs. I love it that the Eagles are bringing in more talent on offense, but the defense.....uggggg. The cap is so tight with a very average roster up and down the line. This draft is CRUCIAL!
McCaffrey intrigues me a little bit. One of the NFL Network guys has him going to the Eagles at 14. I like it IF and only if he is the best available at that spot. To my knowledge this team is completely devoid of talent at CB. Both starters are gone. No young starting talent is on the roster. The defensive line has taken a good hit with 50% of the starters gone. This team might have to score 50 to win a game. Yikes!

Jalen Mills is there. Think he could be a solid slot corner. Good enough to cover no.2 outside as well.

I did forget about Jalen Mills. He doesn't scare anybody though. Definitely slot corner at best....at least from what we saw last year. Maybe he improves significantly. I worry about the corners because of the WRs in the division.

18 minutes ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:
  28 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

You guys that watch college a lot; give me the best 5 CBs in this draft in order. Then the best five OTs in order. Then the best five LBs. I love it that the Eagles are bringing in more talent on offense, but the defense.....uggggg. The cap is so tight with a very average roster up and down the line. This draft is CRUCIAL!
McCaffrey intrigues me a little bit. One of the NFL Network guys has him going to the Eagles at 14. I like it IF and only if he is the best available at that spot. To my knowledge this team is completely devoid of talent at CB. Both starters are gone. No young starting talent is on the roster. The defensive line has taken a good hit with 50% of the starters gone. This team might have to score 50 to win a game. Yikes!

Jalen Mills is there. Think he could be a solid slot corner. Good enough to cover no.2 outside as well.

I did forget about Jalen Mills. He doesn't scare anybody though. Definitely slot corner at best....at least from what we saw last year. Maybe he improves significantly. I worry about the corners because of the WRs in the division.

Draft still not here. No need to worry. Cupboards bare right now. But we'll be right.

I like the focus on the offense. I realize the team has holes... lots of them. Can't fix it all in one offseason. Last year getting the franchise QB to start the rebuild was smart. Now you put talent around him to see if they can put up points.... the QB and the coach/play caller with talent around them can be judged better if you want them long term) The defense needs 2 DL, 2 CBs, 1 or 2 LBs. That's half of a defense. Would be nice to get some this year. Then looking ahead to next year, we could add on that, plus take care of the one year band aids that we may lose on offense. ... ie. Peters, Sproles, Celek, and the WRs with one year deals... I include Ashon and J Matthews on that list. smith is ours if we want.
Either way, you need to hit this draft... .big time! It's a separate thing than filling out a roster to me, its planting seeds for the future so the needs 2 & 3 years from now diminish. Just get me the best players right now. Get the home town fans excited!

Dov Kleiman @NFL_DovKleiman  7m7 minutes ago
#Rams have signed former #Eagles, #Texans LB Connor Barwin.

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet  4m4 minutes ago
The #Rams agreed to terms with pass-rusher Connor Barwin, giving him a 1-year deal worth a max of $6.5M, source said.

Nice pair up with Quinn.

1 minute ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Nah Robert Quinn.

Oh, my bad, I thought you meant the Coach :lol:

Off Topic, Australian Grand Prix is next weekend.

8 minutes ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Nah Robert Quinn.

Oh, my bad, I thought you meant the Coach :lol:

Off Topic, Australian Grand Prix is next weekend.

Not optimistic about McLarens chances. More problems i reading. I miss the Merc partnership. Honda just losing ground. See how they go. Alonso not getting any younger too.

Dov Kleiman @NFL_DovKleiman  7m7 minutes ago
#Rams have signed former #Eagles, #Texans LB Connor Barwin.

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet  4m4 minutes ago
The #Rams agreed to terms with pass-rusher Connor Barwin, giving him a 1-year deal worth a max of $6.5M, source said.

Glad so see Barwin got a contract. A class act.

2 hours ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

I think Jalen would thrive in the slot 

2 hours ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Would not be shocked if we walked away with 2 RBs really....Smalls only one likely locked to be back past this year....Sproles will retire and Marshall/Watson are unknowns....RB group needs a rebuild also seems like just the other day that group was deep Shady,Lewis,Bryce,Polk etc.

Cook, there really aren't that many offensive tackles in this class. Ramcysk from Wisconsin, Bolles from Utah, Cam from Bama and Taylor Moton from Western Michigan. Everyone else is stretching it really being a G or are extremely developmental.

4 hours ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Would not be shocked if we walked away with 2 RBs really....Smalls only one likely locked to be back past this year....Sproles will retire and Marshall/Watson are unknowns....RB group needs a rebuild also seems like just the other day that group was deep Shady,Lewis,Bryce,Polk etc.

1 RB is enough i reckon. Using 2 picks on a RB is a waste of resources. No way who have that many RBs lined up as BPA when its time to pick.

Genetic-Freak writes, "Drafting 2-3 RBs be a bit overkill dont you think??"

I wish it was, but no, I don't think so. Barner is gone, RMatt is injury prone and will likely get released (if they draft well), Smallwood, Marshall, and Watson haven't yet proven they can be a #1 or #2, and Sproles will be retiring in 2018. Nor have the Eagles signed a single RB in FA. Therefore, as I see it, they have no choice but to rebuild the RB group via the draft.

Most fortunately, the RB class is very good this year, so if the Eagles draft well--i.e., 2-3 RBs, they should be able to find their #1 & #2 RBs. Granted, if they were somehow able to get Fournette in the first round then, yes, they probably wouldn't need to draft 3 RBs. It would be great to see the Eagles get Fournette in the 1st and Perine in the 4th, as those two players could secure the backfield for years to come. But, even so, they would still need to find Sproles' replacement for 2018 (& there are several good candidates in this year's draft).

Draft needs to get here, I am so tired of all this speculation, I just want to know who the newest Eagles are gonna be!!!

Genetic-Freak writes, "Drafting 2-3 RBs be a bit overkill dont you think??"

I wish it was, but no, I don't think so. Barner is gone, RMatt is injury prone and will likely get released (if they draft well), Smallwood, Marshall, and Watson haven't yet proven they can be a #1 or #2, and Sproles will be retiring in 2018. Nor have the Eagles signed a single RB in FA yet. Therefore, as I see it, they have no choice but to rebuild the RB group via the draft.

Most fortunately, the RB class is very good this year, so if the Eagles draft well--i.e., 2-3 RBs, they should be able to find their #1 & #2 RBs. Granted, if they were somehow able to get Fournette in the first round then, yes, they probably wouldn't need to draft 3 RBs. It would be great to see the Eagles get Fournette in the 1st and Perine in the 4th, as those two players could secure the backfield for years to come. But, even so, they would still need to find Sproles' replacement for 2018.

So with the 8 picks we have you would use 3 picks on RBs? Knowing that they might not start or make the team as we already have RBs on the roster if im counting Sproles, Marshall n Watson. RBs will be splitting snaps. This will be a big fail n using resources.

Stop it with the get this guy in this round n that guy in the later round. That putting your wish/want above whats realistic n what would be BPA.