West Phlly Dan

Football cards from yesteryear

41 posts in this topic

I still have a bunch of my old starting lineup figures.

Wish I kept them in the box

Oh. Got the home and away Mcnabb bobble heads from McDonald's for 15 bucks on ebay as well lol.

First Honus Wagner Since $3.2 Million Sale Wows Crowds At Basement Baseball Card Show

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2017/05/01/honus-wagner-worth-three-quarters-of-a-million-wows-crowds-at-basement-baseball-show/#38b3d4136968

The smell of Nathan’s cheesy fries and spicy hot dogs wafted through the air in the confined quarters. The cement floor, painted battleship grey, was unkind to backs and knees.

Such were the conditions to be endured on a recent weekend when the big bimonthly baseball card show in White Plains, New York hosted by JP Sports was relegated to the basement. Mickey Mantles gave way to the pet pythons on the main floor, where the reptile show held sway.

Memory Lane's auction of the famous Honus Wagner marks the first sale on the open market since the record-setting $3,20K sale last October.

Photo by Memory Lane Auctions

Memory Lane's auction of the famous Honus Wagner marks the first sale on the open market since the record-setting $3.2 million sale last October.

No one downstairs was complaining— quite the contrary. Collectors came from throughout the Northeast to ogle at the holy trinity of baseball cards from the legendary 1910 T206 tobacco set, including the Honus Wagner, up for auction through Memory Lane. Fathers brought their sons and daughters just to see the Wagner in person.

Locked in a pedestrian glass case belying its immense value, the Wagner sat alongside two other iconic cards from the same set, an Eddie Plank and Sherry Magie. The presale estimates, according to the auction house, are $750,000 for the Wagner, $100,000 for the Plank, and $40,000-$50,000 for the Magie. (As of this posting, 81 bids have lifted the combined total to $531,000.)

I was able to photograph the Plank, Wagner, and Magee outside their case at a show two weeks earlier, but not at the most recent.

Photo by David Seideman, courtesy of Memory Lane Auction

I was able to photograph the Plank, Wagner, and Magee outside their case at a show two weeks earlier, but not at the most recent. Too big a security risk.

The three cards highlight Memory Lane’s "Holy Grail Auction, which closes on May 6. A dedicated collector with a discerning eye spent an entire decade virtually completing the T206 "Monster Set,” as it’s customarily called owing to its popularity and size.

"This may reside as the most amazing T206 breakup ever offered to the public,” declares the catalog description. The average grade of each of the 523 cards is excellent to mint condition.

The only card missing is the ridiculously rare Joe Doyle "variation.” The printing company confused two different Doyles and accidentally put Joe—a New York Highlanders hurler in the American League—in the National League before it quickly made the correction. Only nine Doyles have surfaced.

The dramatic appreciation of a Wagner in good condition.

Chart by Memory Lane Auctions

The dramatic appreciation of a Wagner in good condition.

The card was not even known until the 1990s, when an advanced collector discovered it. If you’re thinking of jumping into the market, an example in very good condition would set you back $550,000.

"People ask me, ‘How do I complete the set?,’” said John Goodman, a veteran tobacco card dealer with a booth near Memory Lane.  "I tell them to ignore the Big Four. Instead of 525 cards,  it’s 521.”

The Big Three are plenty challenging enough. The current sale marks the first time they've been up for sale at the same time since Goodwin & Co. and Goldin Auctions, two industry heavyweights, offered them four years ago. Memory Lane’s representative at the show, affectionately known as "Joe T,” estimates that maybe 40 to 50 people in the world have owned them together, if that many. "That is not a lot, considering there are thousands of people who collect T206s,” he said.

You wouldn't know from the baseball show's informality that Memory Lane had more than a million dollars worth of vintage tobacco cards on the auction block.

Photo by David Seideman

You wouldn't know from the baseball show's informality that Memory Lane had more than a million dollars worth of vintage tobacco cards on display for their current auction.

Let’s start with the Honus Wagner, the mother of all Holly Grails. Only about 75 exist because the greatest shortstop of all time either objected to endorsing tobacco products or to not being compensated. The one now up for sale is the first to hit the open market since the Jumbo Wagner last October. I’ll let Memory Lane do the math: "The Jumbo sold for $1,620K in 2008, $2,106K in 2013 and a record-setting $3,120K in 2016, with [the latest] price tag representing an incredible 93% increase in an 8-year span!”

The Eddie Plank, the world’s third-most-valuable prewar card, places a close second to the Wagner in rarity. Like Wagner, he may have opposed smoking. A more plausible theory is that a printing plate broke. About 100 of the Hall of Fame pitcher’s cards are accounted for. Examples such as Memory Lane’s, in very good to excellent condition, have more than doubled from 2006 to 2015— the last time one sold— from $42,000 to $87,000.

The most "common” of the three, numbering about 180, is the most valuable error baseball card. Sherry Magee was a superb Phillies outfielder during the Dead Ball era who ended his 16-year career with a .291 batting average and 1,176 RBI. But he is best remembered today for his name being mistakenly printed with an "i” instead of two "e” s early in the press run.

"So there you have it, a legendary T206 card to forever chase,” declares Memory Lane. The current Magie is exceptional for earning an excellent grade. In 2014 Goldin Auctions sold an almost identical card for $31,000.

I asked Joe T if he could remove the Big Three from his case for me to shoot a photo, as he had at the Hofstra University show two weeks earlier. This time he politely declined. With the auction well under way, he wasn’t about to take any chances.

Not everyone is a millionaire. There were still bargains galore at the show, including 1954 Topps cards.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:48 PM, rocketman44 said:

I no longer have my old cards though. I'd imagine that my mom threw them out with my comic books.

Exactly what happened to me!  DOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

We moved from NE Philly (Lawncrest) in 1970. I know I packed all my own stuff . . . which was hundreds & hundreds of Topps

baseball cards from 1961 on. I had an almost complete set of the 1962 Topps . . . I was missing maybe 50 cards or so. At that

time baseball cards came 5 in-a-pack with a stick of gum for 5 cents!  The gum never ruined the cards that I could see. I had

all the MAD paperback books printed by Ballentine Books & illustrated by Will Elder from the 50's & early 60's. I had tons of MAD

magazines along with classic  CREEPY & EERIE  magazines illustrated by Frank Frazetta. Goto GOOGLE images and google

his work. It's nothing short of amazing! Also had Superman comics from the early to mid 60's which sold for 10 or 12 cents at the

news stand. They all disappeared sometime after we left Philly. I finally got my mother to cop to the deed some years ago.

She thought they were rubbish and just chucked them!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this

A great friend of mine, a neighbor who was about 35 years older than me, died in 2012. He had a huge baseball card collection with 5 rookie Mickey Mantle cards, and 15 or so years ago, they'd all been appraised at a big amount. I forget how much, I want to say it was either $50,000 or maybe $5,000 each.

He also had a big collection of valuable, antique firearms, as well as all of his toys from when he was a kid in the 40's and 50's. All in excellent condition. His wife died about 2 years after him. His cards, guns and toys were supposed to go to his kids. Unfortunately, her drug addict/alcoholic son (from a different marriage), stole all of it shortly after his mother died.

Side note to the story, their house has now been vacant for 3 years (and still furnished exactly the way it was in 2014). The grass right now, is probably 3 feet tall and I wouldn't be surprised if 'critters' have moved in... my buddy would be super pissed at all of the above.

I actually wonder if left some of those cards/toys/firearms to me. He always joked about adding me to his will, and he always introduced me to his friends as his son. He even introduced me to his own sons as 'their new brother' lol.

If those Mickey Mantle cards were worth as much as they were appraised for, his collection was probably worth tens of thousands, if not over $100,000.00. As a kid, he was an only child (his oldest brother died very young). So his parents bought him anything and everything that he even hinted that he MIGHT want.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, boogyman said:

Mcnabb bobble heads

How appropriate! <g>

I have a 1951 Bowman, Willie Mays card.   Passed down from my grandfather. No idea what its worth. Its in a hard plastic case with a grade sticker on it.  

11 minutes ago, Captain F said:

I have a 1951 Bowman, Willie Mays card.   Passed down from my grandfather. No idea what its worth. Its in a hard plastic case with a grade sticker on it.  

It's about $0.50. I'll offer you $1.00 for it, you pay the shipping to send it to me though...

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It's about $0.50. I'll offer you $1.00 for it, you pay the shipping to send it to me though...

Not sure if serious.

1 hour ago, Captain F said:

Not sure if serious.

lol No, I have no idea what it's worth. More than $0.50 would be my uneducated guess though lol.

14 hours ago, Captain F said:

What does the grade sticker say? Does it have a number from 1-10 on it?

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/baseball-cards/1951-bowman/willie-mays-305/22482/

I have 6 big boxes of cards in attic for my kids  and 4 shoe boxes full of cards already of value in snap cases hiding in a cooler wrapped in plastic wrap for my kids .   Which Holds 2 84 fleer Clemens.  I also have every Clemens Card and starting lineup .   They took a hit when he got caught doping ....

4 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

What does the grade sticker say? Does it have a number from 1-10 on it?

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/baseball-cards/1951-bowman/willie-mays-305/22482/

3 hours ago, Captain F said:

It does have a sticker like that on it,  but the sticker is too faded to read.  Its not the same sticker as that picture though 

I wonder if yours is the one that Quark auctions off...

14 hours ago, Captain F said:

It does have a sticker like that on it,  but the sticker is too faded to read.  Its not the same sticker as that picture though 

You should have it re-graded. Most places require you to send the card(s) in to them and they'll check it out and mail it back. The site that I linked above does it, here's the direct link to the page you should check

https://www.psacard.com/services/tradingcardgrading/