Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] 10 Players To Keep An Eye On In 2017

318 posts in this topic

Just now, 1wrangler said:

You can defend any topic you want, for or against a player depending on if you like him or not. Here is a list of players the Eagles signed or drafted last year. The Eagles drafted RB Wendell Smallwood previously arrested for witness intimidation in a murder case. They drafted Jalen Mills previously arrested for second degree battery for punching a woman. Also Alex McCalister suspended twice and kicked off his college team. They also traded for DGB who was previously arrested twice for drugs and eventually kicked off his college team. They also kept Nigel Bradham on the team after he was arrested two times last year in Miami. I certainly wish things were different and none of the players on the team had a past but that is not a reality on our team. All you can do as a GM is try to make sure the past stays in the past before you take a guy.

I'm well aware of whom they drafted and their off field troubles, I don't need a lecture. Having said that, what does any of this have to do with taking a RB in the 1st and Alshon Jeffery? Right, nothing.

You brought up Jeffery, now you want to move the goal post, OK, fine. Bottom line is, the Eagles aren't tied to Jeffery beyond 2017, if he screws up, or doesn't play up to his potential, guess what? Yeah, they let him walk in 2018 with 0 cap ramifications, the same CAN NOT be said about a 1st round draft pick, especially when most, if not all of their salary is fully guaranteed, it hamstrings the team, they are stuck with said player for at least 3 years, again, see Marcus Smith and Nelson Agholor.

And since you wanted to bring up the players that were drafted last year. How may of those players were drafted in the 1st round? Yeah, none of them and they can let DGB walk if they so choose with no cap ramifications, just like they could've last year. As for Bradham, yeah, the guy is a knucklehead and they can move on from him if they so choose and save $3 million.

There's no guarantee a guy will stay out of trouble, GM's can have some idea, but they can't fully know what a guy is doing on his own time, and the Eagles aren't Dallas, they shouldn't have to hire babysitters to watch and make sure their players stay out of trouble.

Point is, yeah, all the guys they signed and or drafted last year with off field issues, they can all be sent packing with little to no issues regarding the cap.

Trini, Hassan Riddick has to be in the discussion. Just so tempting having that backer corps. Sharks in the water 🦈 

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

You can defend any topic you want, for or against a player depending on if you like him or not. Here is a list of players the Eagles signed or drafted last year. The Eagles drafted RB Wendell Smallwood previously arrested for witness intimidation in a murder case. They drafted Jalen Mills previously arrested for second degree battery for punching a woman. Also Alex McCalister suspended twice and kicked off his college team. They also traded for DGB who was previously arrested twice for drugs and eventually kicked off his college team. They also kept Nigel Bradham on the team after he was arrested two times last year in Miami. I certainly wish things were different and none of the players on the team had a past but that is not a reality on our team. All you can do as a GM is try to make sure the past stays in the past before you take a guy.

I'm well aware of whom they drafted and their off field troubles, I don't need a lecture. Having said that, what does any of this have to do with taking a RB in the 1st and Alshon Jeffery? Right, nothing.

You brought up Jeffery, now you want to move the goal post, OK, fine. Bottom line is, the Eagles aren't tied to Jeffery beyond 2017, if he screws up, or doesn't play up to his potential, guess what? Yeah, they let him walk in 2018 with 0 cap ramifications, the same CAN NOT be said about a 1st round draft pick, especially when most, if not all of their salary is fully guaranteed, it hamstrings the team, they are stuck with said player for at least 3 years, again, see Marcus Smith and Nelson Agholor.

And since you wanted to bring up the players that were drafted last year. How may of those players were drafted in the 1st round? Yeah, none of them and they can let DGB walk if they so choose with no cap ramifications, just like they could've last year. As for Bradham, yeah, the guy is a knucklehead and they can move on from him if they so choose and save $3 million.

There's no guarantee a guy will stay out of trouble, GM's can have some idea, but they can't fully know what a guy is doing on his own time, and the Eagles aren't Dallas, they shouldn't have to hire babysitters to watch and make sure their players stay out of trouble.

Point is, yeah, all the guys they signed and or drafted last year with off field issues, they can all be sent packing with little to no issues regarding the cap.

Have a nice day DC!

I think what gets so many excited about RB is that it could actually complete the puzzle on that side of the ball. Go from horrible last year. To leading the team this season. Maybe it's mostly me because I wanted G Warmack, T Wagner,Smith and Jeffrey. Three out four isn't bad. But you have to run the ball to salt away the victory. You can't rely on the D to hold.

RBs don't win you anything. The only exception I can think of was Seattle, with their dominating defense. We never won anything with Westbrook or Shady (even when he led the league). Dallas didn't either when Murray led the league (then there's last year). Last year the top rushing team in the league was Buffalo and Cleveland was second in terms of yds/carry, which is a fairer way to view it than simply yards because a team like the Browns were behind so often in the second half and especially in the 4th quarter. They ran so much less than teams (they were tied for last in attempts) protecting a late lead and trying to eat clock. The next team was Dallas, followed by Atlanta, Chicago, and Tennessee.
What wins is passing, especially at key points of games, and pass defense. That's the state of the NFL, and it's been that way for a while. You need an elite QB and a top pass defense. Atlanta finally got to the big game because they addressed their defensive secondary with players they picked high in a few recent drafts: safety Keanu Neal #1 in 2016, CB Jalen Collins #2 in 2015, CBs Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford on rounds #1 AND #2 in 2013. Trufant was on IR all last year but normally is a starter. All the other players started last year.

I just don't see us going OLine in the 1st round neither Cam or Ramscyk are worth that 14 th pick, good prospects, decent players but not really as Dominant as I have seen from other tackles taken in the first round. Especial with the quality depth at that position. Difference Makers is what we want. If our philosophy is build from the Lines out. DLine has a much greater need than OLine. Edge Rusher, DT should be more or a priority than any of those Top rated Tackles. I don't believe Fournette will be available, a player that I covert, unless we trade up, he is a dominant player. Howard could be a Dominant player, especially with this possibly being Celek last year. Howard with Ertz would be a formidable combination. Jeffery, Smith, and Matthews in the fold, add John Ross to our WR mix, the fastest player in the history of the combine is available, along with what we already have, that would be a dominating WR lineup.

Hassan Riddick with Hicks and Bradham could make our LB crew a force against the run, and the pass. We don't need WR this year but next year it could be an issue. I just think philosophically our approach has to be BPA no way to predict regardless of need what the other teams might do. Hell Fournette might be there at 14. I want players that could become dominant players, Difference makers and there are NEVER any guarantee that any of these guys will pan out...BPA is the way.

You don't see them going O line in round 1? How about a quarterback, or a punter? What an insight there.

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think what gets so many excited about RB is that it could actually complete the puzzle on that side of the ball. Go from horrible last year. To leading the team this season. Maybe it's mostly me because I wanted G Warmack, T Wagner,Smith and Jeffrey. Three out four isn't bad. But you have to run the ball to salt away the victory. You can't rely on the D to hold.

RBs don't win you anything. The only exception I can think of was Seattle, with their dominating defense. We never won anything with Westbrook or Shady (even when he led the league). Dallas didn't either when Murray led the league (then there's last year). Last year the top rushing team in the league was Buffalo and Cleveland was second in terms of yds/carry, which is a fairer way to view it than simply yards because a team like the Browns were behind so often in the second half and especially in the 4th quarter. They ran so much less than teams (they were tied for last in attempts) protecting a late lead and trying to eat clock. The next team was Dallas, followed by Atlanta, Chicago, and Tennessee.
What wins is passing, especially at key points of games, and pass defense. That's the state of the NFL, and it's been that way for a while. You need an elite QB and a top pass defense. Atlanta finally got to the big game because they addressed their defensive secondary with players they picked high in a few recent drafts: safety Keanu Neal #1 in 2016, CB Jalen Collins #2 in 2015, CBs Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford on rounds #1 AND #2 in 2013. Trufant was on IR all last year but normally is a starter. All the other players started last year.

The Rams picked a great back in 2015 in Todd Gurly...then sucked one more time.

Ok, it's settled. BPA as long as it's a CB - we need but so do the cowpies, win, win!

Like the fewer commercials discussion at the owners' mtg. How about fixing the OT rules so each team gets the ball.

Nope- if Corey Davis is there he's a Eagle

Ok, it's settled. BPA as long as it's a CB - we need but so do the cowpies, win, win!

Like the fewer commercials discussion at the owners' mtg. How about fixing the OT rules so each team gets the ball.

Think they should just got back to extra TIMED quarters and move the dang KO back to where it was so we can enjoy exciting kick returns.Oh,and add the 4 point Field goal over 50 yards,and make the roster 56 players(ALL of whom can dress on game day)

11 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Nope- if Corey Davis is there he's a Eagle

My top round 1's- Corey Davis,OJ Howard.Starting CB can be easily had in round 2,so if either of those 2 O guys are around I pull that trigger-JMO

10 hours ago, johnreaves said:
  14 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The Rams picked a great back in 2015 in Todd Gurly...then sucked one more time.

LOL ONE guy can't do it alone

On 3/21/2017 at 2:52 PM, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Mocks are fun n all but when you keep projecting a guy to go here or in this round it starts becoming a wishlist rather than a Mock. Hurry up draft these wishlists are going overboard.

You said it FREAK,I HATE THIS TIME OF THE YEAR! I'm so eager for the draft & preseason that I can barely control myself. 'Bout ready to rip out my public hair! :wacko:

Wishlist(that are possible to get) Corey Davis/OJ Howard,Gareon Conley/Moreau(CB's) Dalvin Tomlinson(DT),Tanoh Kpassagnon(DE),Zach Banner(OG slated to play OT in NFL),Perine/Conner(RB),Shaquille Griffin(CB) Hunter Dimick(DE) UDFA-Cohen(scat back) Lampkin(CB)

Wishlist(that are possible to get) Corey Davis/OJ Howard,Gareon Conley/Moreau(CB's) Dalvin Tomlinson(DT),Tanoh Kpassagnon(DE),Zach Banner(OG slated to play OT in NFL),Perine/Conner(RB),Shaquille Griffin(CB) Hunter Dimick(DE) UDFA-Cohen(scat back) Lampkin(CB)

I would also add in Wilson/Awuzie/Kazee as CB's

Not really settled yet for me, leaning Barnett actually. Seeing McCaffery as high as 15 now.

New thread btw

I like the proposal of possibly taking a controversial call out of the ref's hands and putting it in Blandino's hands (or another higher up) if they saw what the call should really be to speed up the game and make the correct call.

On 3/21/2017 at 4:32 PM, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Dunno if any of you guys watch the TV series Ballers

What network is that on Bro?

G-mornin. New thread

Trey Burton better not go anywhere! BTW, i like your new #88 Trey! TE 86, 87, 88 all in a row!