Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] 10 Players To Keep An Eye On In 2017

The focus has been on free agency and the NFL draft as the Eagles work to improve the roster for the 2017 season. A breathless first week of free agency has morphed into news tidbits, dribs and drabs as the market withers. In the meantime, the NovaCare Complex is building a buzz ...

View the full article

Not sure Id like taking Cook in the 1st if he is there when we pick.

Three shoulder surgeries on an area that will get hit a lot and even harder at the next level...no thanks.

No running back was drafted in the first round the last 20 years with as bad a performance as Cook had at the combine. Fournette almost had the same 40 time and weights 30 more pounds! Cooks Vertical of less than 10 feet and 3 cone drill of 7.27 is terrible..... I know I am in the minority here but do not want them to spend a first round pick on Cook....

No running back was drafted in the first round the last 20 years with as bad a performance as Cook had at the combine. Fournette almost had the same 40 time and weights 30 more pounds! Cooks Vertical of less than 10 feet and 3 cone drill of 7.27 is terrible..... I know I am in the minority here but do not want them to spend a first round pick on Cook....

not to mention his off the field concerns and the questionable characters he surrounds hims self with and its also said he drinks a bit too much, which might explain his poor combine performance. Not a fan of Cook in the first second or 3rd round, lots of backs in this draft with better measureables and not a head ache off the field.

No RB outside of the top 10% percentile.

Marshall looked very good last year whenever given the opportunity. Smallwood was never healthy last year and still averaged the same 4.1yds/carry that Lesean MCoy did as a rookie. Both had better college careers than any back in this draft, and Wendell Turner's was better than them all. It would be foolish not to give all three of these guys the opportunity to develop their potential by drafting yet another RB.
I'm surprised you didn't mention C.J. Smith or Aaron Grymes.

Marshall looked very good last year whenever given the opportunity. Smallwood was never healthy last year and still averaged the same 4.1yds/carry that Lesean MCoy did as a rookie. Both had better college careers than any back in this draft, and Wendell Turner's was better than them all. It would be foolish not to give all three of these guys the opportunity to develop their potential by drafting yet another RB.
I'm surprised you didn't mention C.J. Smith or Aaron Grymes.

You cant compare Smallwoods yards compared to McCoy. The attempts per rush are too small of a sample. If they both attempted 100 runs n came away with 4.1 per carry then we can compare.

I am really interested to see McAlister , and Walker, injury took them out before we could find out much. It would be nice if they turned out to be good help at DE and LB respectively.

This was a thoughtful article - and has very little to do with the upcoming draft, which makes it even more interesting. If, let's say, three of these folks really develop, the Eagles will be in excellent shape, regardless of the draft.

I am really interested to see McAlister , and Walker, injury took them out before we could find out much. It would be nice if they turned out to be good help at DE and LB respectively.

Do you think Walker will be ready to go at the beginning of the season? Some guys take longer than one year to get all the way back.

The facts

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/

The conjecture is who we trade/cut to acquire anyone else.

I believe there is no one way to go into the draft. Some peeps say BPA. OK, others come back w/ "well if BPA is a QB do we take him"? Duh. C'mon, the board is weighted by quality of player, need and ceilings of the players involved. You go into the draft with a handful of players you deem possibly greats - no matter position. If they drop to you w/ no reason other than the teams before you had other needs, you take them. Then your board is weighted by need, best available at the positions you're currently valueing most - need, ceiling etc. I personally believe unless they value pass rush more, with the CB depth being as it is, dropping back just a few spots to get McCaffery is a great move. I'm not quite sure where the dropoff is at CB in this draft. But McCaffery comes with an added benefit - he's not just a RB. As a matter of fact, he's not even the kind of RB this team needs right now. A yr from now we lose Sproles. We also have to pay JMat. McCaffery kills 2 birds with 1 stone - start him at slot! Use the money we'd have to pay JMat and pay Alshon, plus we have a swiss army knife to replace him, one with good hands and sees the play field like none other in this draft. So in dropping back you get extra pick(s) plus trading JMat you get extra pick(s). All w/o creating holes. Who are we going to miss out on dropping back a few slots IF the handful we already deemed "must haves" are gone? Just one way to look at things.

The facts

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/

The conjecture is who we trade/cut to acquire anyone else.

I believe there is no one way to go into the draft. Some peeps say BPA. OK, others come back w/ "well if BPA is a QB do we take him"? Duh. C'mon, the board is weighted by quality of player, need and ceilings of the players involved. You go into the draft with a handful of players you deem possibly greats - no matter position. If they drop to you w/ no reason other than the teams before you had other needs, you take them. Then your board is weighted by need, best available at the positions you're currently valueing most - need, ceiling etc. I personally believe unless they value pass rush more, with the CB depth being as it is, dropping back just a few spots to get McCaffery is a great move. I'm not quite sure where the dropoff is at CB in this draft. But McCaffery comes with an added benefit - he's not just a RB. As a matter of fact, he's not even the kind of RB this team needs right now. A yr from now we lose Sproles. We also have to pay JMat. McCaffery kills 2 birds with 1 stone - start him at slot! Use the money we'd have to pay JMat and pay Alshon, plus we have a swiss army knife to replace him, one with good hands and sees the play field like none other in this draft. So in dropping back you get extra pick(s) plus trading JMat you get extra pick(s). All w/o creating holes. Who are we going to miss out on dropping back a few slots IF the handful we already deemed "must haves" are gone? Just one way to look at things.

Now that you got that off your chest, How is your back?

http://sports.yahoo.com/m/840116f7-8388-39f2-abf5-9987b953169a/the-case-for-and-against.html

'58 the BPA question isn't QB in the first round at 14. It's S. Two stud S in this class. Jamal Adams top 5 caliber player. And Malik Hooker...probably about at 10 on many a big board. So BPA preachers....do you take a S?

'58 the BPA question isn't QB in the first round at 14. It's S. Two stud S in this class. Jamal Adams top 5 caliber player. And Malik Hooker...probably about at 10 on many a big board. So BPA preachers....do you take a S?

Maybe! Hows that? The Eagles can get out of Malcolm Jenkins contract next year but it will cost them 4.5 mil in cap space. After next year, it becomes harder to do monetarily. So I guess Jenkins turns 30 this year and there is that possibility but at the present time he is playing pretty good.

Heading to see the surgeon next Mon - thanks Wrang. BTW - Jamesons' is lots bettah than oxy! Besides, was forced into just monitoring cause all the sniping is just way too infantile to respond to. If they can't thinks, ya can't teach - even if da facts are right before 'em. But thank you! Hey - they had Mummers in the Boston

They had Mummers in the Boston St Pad's parade!

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/3/20/14990548/bennie-logan-eagles-contract-chiefs-extension-defensive-tackle-philadelphia-report-nfl-kansas-city

Woah! Come on now Bennie

Wrang - at least you have a sense of homour! The most we can hope for here is that someone says "hey" to one - or some - of our ideas as one they hadn't come up w/ and actually consider it. The rest of it is just us fans opining our views. Some of us are knowledgeable, some learning, a lot of us have been around a lot longer than Howie, Joe or Jeff!

"Passing league" needing pass rushers, Dunno, we're in the same division that has a Zeke to defend against. This whole "passing league" thing is overblown. If you can only do one, you're easily defensed imho - need both and need to defend both. Bennie is a bigger loss than most peeps imagine esp vs the run. Don't know why we spent all that money on Cox if we're not going to get him the help he needs. One of the reasons I figured we'd spend a high rd pick to help him, if not it was wasted money on a wasted window on D.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/3/20/14985082/eagles-film-room-chance-warmack-guard-titans-jeff-stoutland-philadelphia-offensive-line-tape-review

Want to see him back at LG

Always figured Warmack @ LG, it's his best spot and as this isn't his 1st contract surely he worked that out before coming here. Going to be a fun camp for the spot for a change. Having a solid OL for a change will help Wents and the rest of the O, gotta give the D some love.

"Passing league" needing pass rushers, Dunno, we're in the same division that has a Zeke to defend against. This whole "passing league" thing is overblown. If you can only do one, you're easily defensed imho - need both and need to defend both. Bennie is a bigger loss than most peeps imagine esp vs the run. Don't know why we spent all that money on Cox if we're not going to get him the help he needs. One of the reasons I figured we'd spend a high rd pick to help him, if not it was wasted money on a wasted window on D.

Bennie turned down what looks to be 10mil range per year pay day?? Thats his choice. Looks like players really overvalued themselves this offseason.