Portyansky

Wish the league would allow real celebrations...

46 posts in this topic

I know it's all about saving time. So start a celebration clock. Give the players 15sec to do what they like. I miss the good'ol days of celebrations.

I prefer the way Barry Sanders celebrated.

6 people like this

honestly there's plenty of time for celebrations. It's not like the extra point play is all set up and ready to go within 10 seconds. Usually there's personnel changes as well. 

Meh. I think celebrations are stupid. Just hand the ball to the ref so we can get on with the game.

1 person likes this

If you're scoring TDs on garbage time, then just hand the ball to the ref and take a seat, but if your score clearly shifts momentum/game-winning, then by all means celebrate.

2 people like this

AcceptableFoolhardyBasil.gif

LnGeK_.gif

2 people like this

Earl Campbell simply set it down in the endzone after scoring.....he said he didn't need to celebrate because he planned on scoring again and there was no sense in celebrating like he'll never score again.

2 people like this

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, Portyansky said:

I know it's all about saving time. So start a celebration clock. Give the players 15sec to do what they like. I miss the good'ol days of celebrations.

They might say it's about time, but it's not. The whole thing with penalizing celebrations, began when the Cowboys decided to take offense to the Redskins 'The Fun Bunch' celebrating a TD with their group high five, and tried to stop them from doing it in Texas Stadium. So to prevent any further fights, the league decided to put in rules against excessive celebrations.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall any other incidents that may have contributed to the decision.

On 3/22/2017 at 11:04 PM, Pallidrone said:

I prefer the way Barry Sanders celebrated.

Meanwhile, in MLB the entire dugout can clear to celebrate however they like whenever they like. 

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

They might say it's about time, but it's not. The whole thing with penalizing celebrations, began when the Cowboys decided to take offense to the Redskins 'The Fun Bunch' celebrating a TD with their group high five, and tried to stop them from doing it in Texas Stadium. So to prevent any further fights, the league decided to put in rules against excessive celebrations.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall any other incidents that may have contributed to the decision.

Wasn't the Rams' old bob and weave celebration mentioned as well?

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I don't recall that, I just recall that the 'catalyst' was the Cowboys trying to get in and break up the Redskins, getting into the middle of the celebration as if to say "No, you're not going to celebrate in OUR stadium!"

12 hours ago, EagleTillIDieRX8 said:

If you're scoring TDs on garbage time, then just hand the ball to the ref and take a seat, but if your score clearly shifts momentum/game-winning, then by all means celebrate.

this times 100. the only times I hate to see eagles celebrate is when we are down 2-3 scores. I also dont like to see cornerbacks finger wave when they finally made a play after they have been gettng bbq all day

2 people like this

I'd rather they hand the ball back to the refs and play on, but I don't care if a player wants to celebrate either. Let him celebrate if he wants to. If they're worried about it taking too much time, make them go to the sidelines like Ickey Woods did the Ickey Shuffle. If they're worried about the Cowboys retaliating, then flag the Cowboys and/or kick them out of the game for Unsportsmanlike Conduct. Don't break up the celebration: go out and make a play so you can celebrate back in their face. I have no problem celebrating a play you made, but I do have a problem if you're starting a fight in the middle of the game.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, NIBGoldenchild said:

Meanwhile, in MLB the entire dugout can clear to celebrate however they like whenever they like. 

And?

Everyone knows baseball sucks so who cares what they do.

2 people like this

35 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

And?

Everyone knows baseball sucks so who cares what they do.

Because, in your opinion, "baseball sucks" doesn't mean anything in regards to how their athletes can celebrate without incurring a penalty by the officials. The same is for the NBA and NHL. I guess you're going to now tell me those sports suck too and no one cares. 

Thanks for your useless response tho. 

2 hours ago, NIBGoldenchild said:

Because, in your opinion, "baseball sucks" doesn't mean anything in regards to how their athletes can celebrate without incurring a penalty by the officials. The same is for the NBA and NHL. I guess you're going to now tell me those sports suck too and no one cares. 

Thanks for your useless response tho. 

You are welcome.

21 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Maybe just allow the 1 player that scored celebrate. Don't know, I just miss it. 

Players seem to celebrate after just about every routine play.  It is all "look at me" stuff. 

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

that's what I remember being the celebration that pushed the NFL to ban group celebrations. 

On 3/24/2017 at 10:36 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Joe Horn pulling out a cell phone was a bit ridiculous and could've lead to extra props being involved.

1 hour ago, RPeeteRules said:

Joe Horn pulling out a cell phone was a bit ridiculous and could've lead to extra props being involved.

Yeah, but that was about 20 years after the celebration rules came about, originally. Before the Cowboys decided to try to intimidate/break up the Redskins Fun Bunch, the celebrations weren't penalized.

Does anyone remember a Colts running back celebrating a touchdown, even though the Colts were getting there arse kicked by then? It's killing me not knowing who it was or what team it was against.

9 minutes ago, Boss Hawg said:

Does anyone remember a Colts running back celebrating a touchdown, even though the Colts were getting there arse kicked by then? It's killing me not knowing who it was or what team it was against.

Seems a little vague, but I do recall the 2004 game we played against the Packers when we were killing them. I think it was William Henderson scored a TD and spiked the ball in celebration. Shook my head at that one.

9 hours ago, Boss Hawg said:

Are you thinking of the 2003 Colts vs. Falcons game:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=231214011

Falcons RB T.J. Duckett scored and proceeded to spike the ball and crip walk despite being down 31 to 6 at that point.

13 hours ago, Quiet Boy said:

Are you thinking of the 2003 Colts vs. Falcons game:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=231214011

Falcons RB T.J. Duckett scored and proceeded to spike the ball and crip walk despite being down 31 to 6 at that point.

Yeah that's it. I just had the teams wrong. Thanks for finding this.