Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Franchise QB, Moves Promote Optimism

Simply one of the many scenarios that could play out. We're all talking about these players we'd like, just a way to get 2 more that actually makes sense.

Well then where are his other 2 picks in that mock?Totally zero WR;s on there

Wasn't about the mock Mr disagreable. Imo McCaffery would be a matchup nightmare in the slot.

Yeah but we need a 3 down back and he's not that

2 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

I have no clue what we do in this draft it is so wide open. So many people could fall to us and all of them we could use DE, DT, CB, WR, TE, RB, OT, LB we could use all of them the only position we are good at is QB lol

The fact we can use everything is why it is such a great thing to go BPA.....Added bonus is that the draft is deepest in what is likely our most glaring holes at CB and RB 

I'd take a DE before a RB.Even a UDFA like Joe Williams would be servicable IMO

Let's run through this slowly. I posted the scenario over a month ago about trading back a few spots for McCaffery and another pick. Play McCaffery in the slot and trade JMat for yet another pick and avoiding having to have to pay him. Can use that money to help retain Alshon or whatever. I wasn't into the mock, just that I laid this way of getting 2 more picks and avoiding a large contract over a month ago. Sheesh!

Not a bad list BG of your 11 or 12 guys. Fairly comparable to Wranglers thinking if I recall his 11 list. I'm assuming,that you're assuming, Myles Garrett is already gone(making the 12). You left out RB and T. Did you not feel one was good enough? Or what was your thinking on them.

If you haven't seen McCaffrey play you don't realize what elite vision he has. And when he sees the hole he explodes through it like no other. Those things translate to every level of football. You would be missing out just thinking of MCCaffrey as slot receiver.  Not that he can't do that. I'm positive he can be a slot receiver also. But at RB and returning he can use that vision. Just incredible. Probably the first 10 rating I've ever given on vision. And he is so gifted to take advantage once he sees the crease ...boom? Shot out of a cannon style. That kid really impresses me.

Ham - his vision is my fav part about him, it's like he sees the path through defenders before they can react. I don't see this scenario actually happening, would like it tho.

Man my education continues... McCaffery from what you guys say, confirms the tape I have watched on this kid. sounds like a Swiss Army Knife... I like it. I just Can't get used to Alllll these choices. This could be a defining Draft gor my Birds future.

Let's run through this slowly. I posted the scenario over a month ago about trading back a few spots for McCaffery and another pick. Play McCaffery in the slot and trade JMat for yet another pick and avoiding having to have to pay him. Can use that money to help retain Alshon or whatever. I wasn't into the mock, just that I laid this way of getting 2 more picks and avoiding a large contract over a month ago. Sheesh!

I'd be fine trading back,but not for Caff.He's not the RB we need

I'd take Davis/Williams if they are there or if Howard fell to us then do what DWD suggested,run Torrey in the slot,trade JMat.That would give you Alshon,Smith and Davis/Williams/Howard.Lose Rmat and pick up Charles(and draft a late RB or even UDFA Joe Williams and Tarik Cohen as Sproles replacement.SHould be alot of fun,this draft.We could go any number of ways

Good morning ornery gator, lol! So you would run the deep threat Torrey in the slot simply to go against my scenario, roflmao! Well I would if my back allowed it! Have to admit, that's funny. Get this feeling they're not fully behind Smallwood. Not necessarily what they said, but how they said it without a lot of confidence.

Mornin ya yankee HAHA(well I am too really).anything is possible.It's nice though Howie left himself "outs".He's very intelligent that way.I am clueless as to what our board looks like,or who we value as top picks,so I was just pullin your chain.How did I do????

Good morning ornery gator, lol! So you would run the deep threat Torrey in the slot simply to go against my scenario, roflmao! Well I would if my back allowed it! Have to admit, that's funny. Get this feeling they're not fully behind Smallwood. Not necessarily what they said, but how they said it without a lot of confidence.

BTW we can use Torrey in the slot AND outside(aka rotation) when the play warrants it.Could open up some new/improved pass plays(wink wink) Id' like to see a rotation where Turner is in the slot on those short yardage passes.After the draft,it's all up to what happens in camp-UGH.I'm kinda excited about this year.Wentz has weapons!!!!!!

Except for future WR's, between RB's, TE's and WR's for this year, the passing game taken care of. To complete the O we need to improve the running game - esp in short ydg. Didn't Hart run the ball a few times last yr? Don't think Pedey will keep a FB, he's alluded to that. They could bring Hart in to road grade short ydg. To confuse D's, they could also bring him in to help protect on deep plays as well. Even with an improved OL, we don't have a grader RB that can plow thru a crowded box. Other than future WR's, a replacement for Sproles and a #1 RB, believe the draft will go heavy D. If Barnett drops to us it's going to be a tough call no matter who else ( within reason ) is on the board.

Except for future WR's, between RB's, TE's and WR's for this year, the passing game taken care of. To complete the O we need to improve the running game - esp in short ydg. Didn't Hart run the ball a few times last yr? Don't think Pedey will keep a FB, he's alluded to that. They could bring Hart in to road grade short ydg. To confuse D's, they could also bring him in to help protect on deep plays as well. Even with an improved OL, we don't have a grader RB that can plow thru a crowded box. Other than future WR's, a replacement for Sproles and a #1 RB, believe the draft will go heavy D. If Barnett drops to us it's going to be a tough call no matter who else ( within reason ) is on the board.

Well there are some "graders" in the draft(even late and UDFA's like Joe Williams from Utah) If we DID take Caff,suspect we add one later cause he's not a 3 down back,but a "finesse" back and a good replacement for Sproles.I was noticing alot of his runs were due to opponents missed tackles.Not sure PROS will miss those tackles.That's what bothers me most about him.We cannot afford another bust.Love Caffs vision and execution,just gotta make sure he can accomplish that at the next level-JMO

Only 4 RB's on board right now w/o Mathews so yeah, at least least one in the 1st few days then several udfa. What I don't see is trading up for Fournette - to cost prohibitive. Lol - dvr'd path to the draft, showing a really young OJ Howard in an Eagles #30 jersey - Brian Mitchell?

Imo this so called "passing league" is slowly remembering how important the running game is. The rule changes are what led to the increase in the passing game. A lot of the new RB's catch a lot of passes. W/o the "gut buster" RB who can break tackles up the middle, the entire O suffers. They do get injured a lot however so a backup plan needs to be in place. May wind up with 5 RB's on the 53 plus a few on the PS. CB has been such a thorn in our sides for too long, so not only want at least 1 starter this draft but a few developmentals in the pipeline as well.

Imo this so called "passing league" is slowly remembering how important the running game is. The rule changes are what led to the increase in the passing game. A lot of the new RB's catch a lot of passes. W/o the "gut buster" RB who can break tackles up the middle, the entire O suffers. They do get injured a lot however so a backup plan needs to be in place. May wind up with 5 RB's on the 53 plus a few on the PS. CB has been such a thorn in our sides for too long, so not only want at least 1 starter this draft but a few developmentals in the pipeline as well.

I'm sure whatever CB we choose first will be expected to start,but yeah we need solid back-ups as well.Would not shock me if we took 3 from the deep class and I'd still like to have Shaquille Griffin late and Lampkin as a UDFA PS/developmental guy.Sad part is when we pick at 14,we have to watch in agony as the players we want go off the board

Latest Mock draft from sb nation 1 hour old with a consensus from 6 guys.

1. Browns - DE Myles Garrett
2. 49er's - DE Soloman Thomas
3. Bears - DL Jonathon Allen
4. Jags - RB Leonard Fournette
5. Titans - CB Marshon Lattimore
6. Jets - QB's Mitchell Trubisky / Deshaun Watson
7. Chargers - S Malik Hooker
8. Panthers - RB's Leonard Fournette/ Cook
9. Bengals - LB Rueben Foster
10. Bills - WR Mike Williams
11. Saints - DE Derek Barnett
12. Browns - QB's Mitchell Trubisky / Deshaun Watson
13. Cardinals - WR Corey Davis / QB Deshone Kizer
14. Eagles - CB Marlon Humphrey

Now lets pretend this mock is accurate and we have the choice of CB Marlon Humphrey, WR John Ross or TE O.J. Howard at pick 14. Which one would you guys take? It is a no brainer for me but some of you may have other choices. My pick is O. J. Howard.

I agree, them Cowgals punished the league last year with that "Gut Buster " running back.  Interesting many use these terms... Copycat League after what Zeke showed us last year... experts still profess the RB position is not worthy of a 1st rd pick. The Patsy's the best team of this generation gave up their #1 pick to acquire Brandon Cooks... does Bellacheat know something... " of course he does " adding  Pure Speed to an already Dynamic offense. I want Fournette, to be that " Gut Buster."  Joe Mixon also has that ability, won't cost as much, maybe a 2nd or 3rd. Add Barnett to our DL next to Fletcher Cox or John Ross with our WR group... incredible the flavors, and elements that come with the players we bandied about, Waiting for another piece of  Joe Douglas and Howie's plan to unfold. I want more...hahahaha.

I want CB Marlon Humphrey to become an Eagle. But I'm not sure the Eagles need to pick him at #14. Most mocks have Humphrey going in the 20s, or even later--some in the 2nd round. So the Eagles could trade back, and possibly get an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick?, and still acquire Humphrey, or at least a comparable top prospect such as Kevin King or Chidobe Awuzie. I think that would be a smart way to go, considering the extensive depth in this year's draft, BUT only if a number of top players are off the board at 14--such as Foster, Barnett, & Fournette.

Assuming Carson Wentz proves to be a better, more consistent QB in 2017, I can't entirely agree with the Eagles recent talk that they're "many players" away from building a championship team. As mentioned, there's an unusual amount of depth in this year's draft class *to be taken advantage of*, & it just so happens to be where the Eagles most need to improve (or add depth)--such as at CB, RB, DE, & LB (& possibly S & WR). So, if the Eagles were to trade back at 14 for an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick, and also trade Kelce (& perhaps Kendricks) in order to acquire even more draft picks, I expect they could add a whole bunch of extremely promising young players from this year's draft: some of whom, if chosen wisely, would likely prove strong solutions to the team's remaining weaknesses--if not in 2017, then in 2018. After all, this is a team that beat the Falcons last year!!!--so they're not that far away. With that said, however, the Eagles would have to draft 3 or 4 CBs, & not just 2, in order to insure the best odds of finding two viable starters.

The other big, potential advantage this year is that there's a super promising 1st round RB prospect that is expected to go later than the 1st round--in RB Joe Mixon. I recently watched Mixon's press conference 'apology' from December, 2016, about the 2014 incident where he punched a woman and broke her jaw. Of course, I don't approve of what he did, which was both disgusting & shameful, but, in the press conference, Mixon clearly showed that he is *genuinely*, deeply contrite over the incident. Surely this is a young man that has grown up a lot over the past two years?--since he was a mere 18 years old, and earnestly wants to become a better human being. Which is admirable. Therefore, IMO, Mixon's fall from grace back in 2014 presents the Eagles with a golden opportunity in 2017, because they (& Wentz) desperately need a RB of his talent & versatility (& they also need a back like Samaje Perine to compliment him). However, the bad news is that I don't think Mixon will last much past the early 2nd round, in fact, he may even go as early as the latter part of the 1st. He's too good a prospect--arguably the best RB in the draft. So I expect some team will be tempted to take Mixon earlier than projected. Which is another reason why the Eagles should try to pick up an additional 2nd round pick.

Another player that is being projected to go 'later' is DE Demarcus Walker. Walker was originally projected to go in the 2nd round, but didn't have an overly impressive Combine. What got my attention is that he didn't even run the 40. Now, if I were Joe Douglas or Howie Roseman, I would do my utmost to find out *why* Walker opted out of the 40. If it was due to an injury, or because he wasn't feeling 100%?, then his Combine results may be very misleading. Which would make Walker a prime pick in the 3rd round. I've seen Walker's films, and feel strongly that he's being underrated here--as there's no way that he's not faster & quicker than projected 1st rounder Taco Charleston, for example. I wouldn't even be surprised if Walker has a better NFL career than last year's top DE draft pick Deforrest Buckner.

So, if the Eagles could pick up Humphrey, Mixon, Walker & another CB in the early rounds, that would be the start of a very good draft year, IMO.

@Mr. Simpson, I haven't read anything yet on the Eagles possibly trading back in the first round. I have read that they could possibly trade back in the second round. Howie does like to make trading splashes with picks and players so I fully expect them to do so again this year. Players that I would be watching are Kelce, Kendricks, Jmatt, and maybe even Burton depending how the first round shakes out.

I like what you spitting Mr Simpson... I agree that Carson has to be better this year... however I get the owners reluctance to acknowledge the possibility that this unproven team could compete for a championship this year... can't give the already fired up fanatics more fuel. All the experts plus Vegas give us no chance and impossible odds. Forty years of my life has gone in to believing in this team. Not easy being an Eagle fan.The Critics logic is probably sound. Looking ahead to the Draft, we get that DL and CB in place... get contributions from our Rooks and 2 no yr players.  A healthy roster, Hell, why not us? Atlanta did it last year. Even with musical chairs at key positions we competed with our Rooks, Coaches included. We get a few balls bounce our way. Win some of those last minute losses we suffered last year... Hell yea we could go all the way. Hope it's the Patriots we face, ONLY if they're the best team.

So let the ridiculing begin... trini is just being a homer.hahaha... just a fanatic baby. Why Not Us?