Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Franchise QB, Moves Promote Optimism

Corey Davis is still my #1 pick, with Mike Williams a close second. However, I would be VERY HAPPY with McCaffrey in 1, I don't think he is a reach what so ever with what he can provide on the field, he can play RB and WR at a high level, and he has some of the smoothest route running skills and hands out there!

I'm rather thinking we get a 3 down back and can do that even late in round 4.perrine/Conner/Hunt would be my guys.We should also sign a scat back(probably Sproles last year) That you be a late pick of McGuire OR wait even longer and take Tarik Cohen as a UDFA

1 hour ago, Nick0213 said:

Corey Davis is still my #1 pick, with Mike Williams a close second. However, I would be VERY HAPPY with McCaffrey in 1, I don't think he is a reach what so ever with what he can provide on the field, he can play RB and WR at a high level, and he has some of the smoothest route running skills and hands out there!

I'm rather thinking we get a 3 down back and can do that even late in round 4.perrine/Conner/Hunt would be my guys.We should also sign a scat back(probably Sproles last year) That you be a late pick of McGuire OR wait even longer and take Tarik Cohen as a UDFA

even DeVeon Smith(UDFA??)-tough kid who does NOT quit.He will fight for that 6 inch first down

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

This dude also has fumble issues-UGH

I was not aware of that. I wasn't voting for Cook,just merely passing the news of his workout with Duce yesterday,but if he has fumble issues & the Eagles' staff don't feel that it can be corrected then I would stay away from him. Remember Bryce Brown? He was a pretty darn good RB but his hands and sleeves were coated with Teflon.

12 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I was not aware of that. I wasn't voting for Cook,just merely passing the news of his workout with Duce yesterday,but if he has fumble issues & the Eagles' staff don't feel that it can be corrected then I would stay away from him. Remember Bryce Brown? He was a pretty darn good RB but his hands and sleeves were coated with Teflon.

yeah,maybe fixable,but still is he a 3 down back??? I'm not sure of that

2 hours ago, Nick0213 said:

Actually Conner would be a nice pick-up.Local kid,tries really hard,wants to succeed(before his cancer bout was a lock 1,2 RB) and keeping him in Pennsy would make sense from a "support" angle.But I know you can't choose players on emotion,but IMO,it would be a win/win for both him and the birds

17 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah,but if he was so good WHERE is he hiding??? lol

17 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Believe Cook had 12 fumbles last season

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah,but if he was so good WHERE is he hiding??? lol

That was my point in mentioning him. He got released,traded,whatever 'cause of the ball security issues.

I dunno man all these CB's are not going in round 1.Just curious as to WHO will be there in 2.Probably could get either Moreau or Sidney Jones there and HOPE they are ready to roll.I believe Moreau already said he will be good to go by training camp(but who knows).Other guys that may fall would be Conley,Awuzie,Wilson,although I feel Conley won't make it to 43 lol

So here's what I'm lookin at 1)Davis/Williams(CYA on the WR position) 2) Conley/King/Awuzie/Wilson-CB's(in that order) 3) Willis/Walker-DE 4)Ryan Glasgow-DT 4)Conner/Perrine/Hunt-RB 5)Damonte Kazee-CB 6) Shaquille Griffin-CB 7) Bug Howard-WR UDFA-Joe Williams-RB-Utah,tarik Cohen-RB,Pharoh Brown-TE,Ashton Lampkin-CB.Just a guess as all mocks are lol

So here's what I'm lookin at 1)Davis/Williams(CYA on the WR position) 2) Conley/King/Awuzie/Wilson-CB's(in that order) 3) Willis/Walker-DE 4)Ryan Glasgow-DT 4)Conner/Perrine/Hunt-RB 5)Damonte Kazee-CB 6) Shaquille Griffin-CB 7) Bug Howard-WR UDFA-Joe Williams-RB-Utah,tarik Cohen-RB,Pharoh Brown-TE,Ashton Lampkin-CB.Just a guess as all mocks are lol

Could add in round 2 also Moreau and Jones but they MUST be able to start!!!

6 hours ago, trini said:

It the same story our Birds have won a few PAPER Championships. Howie has been magical, how is he finding money to sign these guys It has to play out on the field... Carson come's back with improved, disciplined Mechanics, develops great chemistry with the new guys... get a few players to shore up the D... Good Health... Few balls bouncing our way... A Bruising RB... The Wentz wagon rolls baby.

Never say never.I am old and have learned that.We lost 3 years under the devastating Chip regime.Lurie gave him his chance,but glad he did not wait all 5 years to get rid of this clown.Now we can actually begin building this team.And I will venture to say Pedersons year 2 is going to look alot better than Chips lol

yeah... we lost 7 years after the disaster 2005 season with more Andy Reid. We need to start drafting right. If the BPA on their board is a position that they haven't prioritized, due to their no championship winning philosophy of the last 20 plus years, ... this year I would like them to draft that player. TE, RB, LB or S, just take the player, it's not simply about 2017, you need to start doing things differently. While I would love to see DL, CB or WR taken first, if they take another position it is a good sign long term that change in philosophy is finally here.

BPA is all well and fine....especially when you stink and have a bunch of holes to fill. But at some point you have to complete the roster puzzle.

Right ... are we at that point?? That's pretty much the key question

IMO, you can look at teams who you can argue have drafted well recently, and over a period of time and have had success... sutained success. Take New England out of hte equation, they use all types of transactions, UDFAs, siging players off the street, spending big $$ occasionally on free agents, trades... as well as the draft. But take a look at Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Green Bay over the long haul... and Seattle with the recent regime. Look at how they take the BPA ... regardless of the position priority model the Eagles use. Isn't it funny that these teams will draft TE, RB, LB or S if thats the best player on their board? Or should I say, (what my main point is) they don't use the position of the player against them. Contrary to the Eagles... who have stuck to QB, OL, DL, WR or CB over the last 2 decades with their first pick. Come on... are you telling me that over that time they never should have taken S, LB, RB or TE first?

Can't decide where we're weakest at. 7 CB's and only really know how Mills plays - a little slow. 11 WR's, good starters, unsure depth and developmental. We definitely need a #1 RB. We signed DE Long, but don't think that's the answer for the pass rush - can never have enough.  Although I would really like a dominant RB, just don't see one in the 1st w/ the depth at that position but would be ok with it. Still leaning CB or DE.

No Mas you have to separate. They have implemented a rookie cap. Before that first rounders were big money. So philosophy came more into play(how much should you spend per position group and so on). They cut back on rookies hard though. So it swings the other way now: enjoying a fifth year option still at a good rate with first rounders.

1999 to present... the first player the Eagles have drafted each year...
McNabb, Simon, Mitchell, Lito, McDougle, Andrews, Patterson, Bunkley, Kolb, Laws, Maclin, Graham, Watkins, Cox, Lane, Smith, Agholor and Wentz.
QB = 3 .... WR = 3 ... CB = 1 .... OL = 3 .... DL = 8. I count Smith as DL being a 3-4 OLB because its a pass rusher. Go back before Andy ... If my memeory serves for the 4 Rhodes drafts ... Mamula, Mayberry, Jon Harris & Tra Thomas.. from 1995 to 98. Even 2 first rounders in 1993 were OL & DL... 1994 was OL. Nobody else sees a disturbing trend with our Eagles and the position priority philosophy ...working a little overboard?

So with all due respect to "having to fill in your holes and you can't always take BPA" statement. My point, if you take BPA... that over time it will naturally fill in more holes because the positions will most likely not be limited to those 5 that I mentioned with the constast real emphasis being on the lines. And yes, the game is won and lost in the trenches...etc. Don't tell me that means you simply disregard the other positions if thats the BPA with your first pick. That's plain stupid. Why I think NE is successful is because they don't have a formula for everything, they go bye the best opportunity thats in front of them at any given time... they seem to use that both in personnel... and in game decisions, by simply employing the best strategy vs the opponent of the day. WE need to stop obsessing about some fictional winning formula. There isn't any ONE solution. Just get the best players and make the right game decisions for that specific instant. That's it. If its draft 3 CBs, or draft LB back to back then do it ... if its run it 50 times or pass it 60 times, then do it!

Does hitting on a first round QB count the same as hitting on a first round FB? Look at franchise tag numbers. That gives you a great understanding of positional priority. That's a league wide standard. T is worth more than G or C. Pass rusher is worth more than S.