Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Franchise QB, Moves Promote Optimism

That was just to explain my wanting a starting CB in this draft.

Interesting from Fansided:

From what we’ve heard, Curry can play some defensive tackle if necessary which would put Fletcher Cox, Curry, Graham and Long on the field simultaneously (most likely in pass rushing situations). Truthfully, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

Curry always did that. The question i asked couple weeks back was could Curry make a full time switch to DT.

8 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

No, do BPA at positions and fill NEEDS.We are not yet in the position to take BPA just to take them.Get the holes plugged,then you can do BPA for decades.This is a great draft and deep for our specific needs.If we don't fill them now-WHEN????? Once you have a solid team BPA all the way,we're just not there yet.Losing RMat and getting Charles sure would be sweet!!!!

The fact the draft is deep in the positions we need should mean that BPA  will fill those holes.....Also there is really no position on this team that can't be upgraded the only spot that should be off limits is QB possibly S

Agree BG ... BPA should be used at the start of building a roster even more so than with a good team. You can throw a dart blindfolded and find a position of need on this team. I would even argue that S is an option if its clearly the BPA because that guy will play in the nickel, Jenkins isnt a spring chicken and costs a nice penny. In addition to probably playing mroe than 50% of the snaps, including the crucial 3rd and longs, the pick probably plays full time special teams too. Thats a great use of the pick if the player is worth it.

17 hours ago, joemas6 said:

So with all due respect to "having to fill in your holes and you can't always take BPA" statement. My point, if you take BPA... that over time it will naturally fill in more holes because the positions will most likely not be limited to those 5 that I mentioned with the constant real emphasis being on the lines. And yes, the game is won and lost in the trenches...etc. Don't tell me that means you simply disregard the other positions if that's the BPA with your first pick.

Well said Joe. I wanted to quote your earlier post on this topic but just wasn't able to put it into words that made sense. That concept of 'pick of the litter' has to be mixed in sometimes. Times like where if all of the top players at a specific position on your draft board are gone that doesn't mean that you reach/compromise just to take a player at that position.

11 hours ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:
  11 hours ago, vernally said:

Really struggling with the draft.BPA?How is it possible to determine as only about 4 out of 10 draft picks are judged as a success with the gift of hindsight and there are so many total busts every year.There's a famous saying that "History repeats itself"so at 14 trade back and get a CB late in round 1,another late in round 2 and a RB late in round 3 and hey presto a new Lito,Sheldon and Westbrook.Well,it's supposed to be a draft loaded at cornerback and that could lead to a combination of Sidney Jones,Tabor,Moreau,Adoree Jackson.Mixon or Kareem Hunt.Take your pick.

Lito, Sheldon, Westbrook good picks but Eagles had the luxury at the time to select them with starters already on the team.

I do miss Westbrook. Love Sproles, but miss Westbrook. Really wish the Eagles could find another Reggie White, if there is one out there. He was so dominant. Unbelievable player at his position. I can't think of anyone that was really close to his talent. Anyone?

I believe Baenett will be that other Redgie if he is available for us

16 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I know fans might not like it(I am not thrilled about the idea either) but Joe Mixon could end up being a real possibility for the Eagles.....Listening to Lurie and Doug doesn't sound like we are taking him off our board completely and he does fit well into Doug O.....

I'm not inspired by that idea either,but on the other hand none of us know the fine points of what exactly transpired in the wake of Mixon's mistake. Everyone makes mistakes and deserve another chance. There are billions of humans that have made mistakes that they're not proud of-I'm sure!-and are looking for a way to redeem themselves. "Forgive us of our trespasses as we forgive those who trespassed against us."

16 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

As for the draft I think it is BPA approach and honestly find it hard that we won't take a DL I mean Thomas/Barnett/Taco one of the is likely to fall to us.

I'm not discounting taking an offensive player in the 1st,but the D needs more love than the O at this point. This D is predicated on a 4 man PR and many high motor DL-men are needed for it to work. Plus the quicker the DL can pressure the QB,the easier it is on the secondary which I feel is a need having inexperienced CB's,not to mention that this is an historic draft for DB's which works in the team's favor this year and should be taken advantage of. If the O is great & the D is substandard you get put into a situation comparable to New Orleans where you're in a shoot out every game. We all know that's not a winning equation. IMO,the reason that defense wins championships is due to the fact that getting defensive stops gives the O more opportunities to put points on the board and that a stingy D can shut down the opponents game winning drives. Some think that Lane's suspension hurt us (which it did) but it wasn't the only reason. The Eagles were in darn near every game last year.

10 hours ago, trini said:

That Tennessee DT/DE Barnett, broke all Reggie record at Tennessee many here want Barnett he is a beast.

Shhhh…don't tell anyone,but that's who I voted for,tied with Davis in the Poll at 20%.  Yes,I know everyone can see this. :roll:

Very smart on the Eagles' part to submit the proposal to play the LA Rams & LA Chargers back to back so that they can stay on the West Coast to minimize some of the jet lag. Hopefully the league will approve it.

What Eagles' Pederson said, what he meant:

This article answers a few burning questions on some fans' minds. How is it that some of this info makes it into other media outlets B4 philadelphiaeagles.com?  Or,maybe it did & just didn't comprehend it or forgot 'cause I'm going nuts waiting for the Draft-IN PHILLY! ☺

1. The window almost certainly has closed on defensive ends Vinny Curry and Marcus Smith being counted on to be anything more than rotational players in this system.

Asked whether this will be the year when Curry takes that final step toward becoming the pass rusher they can count on for the majority of the snaps, Pederson said:………

Translation: It would be great if Curry established himself as a dominant player, but the Eagles aren't waiting around for that to happen anymore. They also will draft at least one defensive end too, possibly as high as the first round.………

2. The same applies to wide receiver Nelson Agholor, another hard worker who falls short in all other categories and may never live down the startling admission last year about negativity creeping into his head.………

3. Pederson is high on the two offensive linemen they drafted last year, Isaac Seumalo and Halapoulivaati Vaitai. More than high, actually.………

4. Forget the fullback. Unless the Eagles can find a special, do-it-all player who can also give them great special-teams play, they're not going there. This, after Pederson said last year that he intended to carry one on the roster.………

5. The power structure is functional. At least for now.………

http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/eagles/mc-what-have-we-learned-about-eagles-0330-20170330-story.html

2 hours ago, bagger90 said:

I believe Barnett will be that other Reggie if he is available for us

NOBODY can replace the 'Minister of Defense' or Jerome Brown (who was taken way too early ☹),but that's not for me to question,may they both RIP! I know what you mean though bagger,lol. ☺

19 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  20 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.nj.com/v1/articles/20144057/nfl_free_agency_2017_franchise_transition_tag_numb.amp

That being the case and we tagged Alshon,that's expensive (but MAY be worth it) We shall see!!!! So I'm still opting for Davis/Williams round 1.Getting Charles would be a great move,if we can pull that off.Now you have your future WR's in place,an effective RB(still draft one but later) and then you have 7 remaining picks in a deep class with positions we need to fill.If you look at my mock,it makes sense(especially if we acquire Charles) :)

Hopefully we can work out a 4 year deal with alshon if he proves to be a good investment. Not sure about Charles though. I could see him very easily being out for the season in week 2. The guy does have a history of injury and I don't see that going away.

I like how a guy gets hurt and suddenly he has a "history" Is he any more injury prone than say RMat?

8 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Agree BG ... BPA should be used at the start of building a roster even more so than with a good team. You can throw a dart blindfolded and find a position of need on this team. I would even argue that S is an option if its clearly the BPA because that guy will play in the nickel, Jenkins isn't a spring chicken and costs a nice penny. In addition to probably playing more than 50% of the snaps, including the crucial 3rd and longs, the pick probably plays full time special teams too. That's a great use of the pick if the player is worth it.

Jabrill Peppers would be nice to fill what you posted here-as Mayock said-"The kid has oily hips.",but I suspect he'll be gone.

NFLN mock draft central all have us taking either Conley or White. According to Walter Football we haven't met with them. Of interest is the player we've shown the most interest in - Ross!

http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByTeam

Walter football-total waste of a web site lol

NFLN mock draft central all have us taking either Conley or White. According to Walter Football we haven't met with them. Of interest is the player we've shown the most interest in - Ross!

http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByTeam

We were high on Tredavious,so we had to talk to him at some point.if we go that route,I would be fine with Zay in round 2

12 hours ago, trini said:

That Tennessee DT/DE Barnett, broke all Reggie record at Tennessee many here want Barnett he is a beast.

Shhhh…don't tell anyone,but that's who I voted for,tied with Davis in the Poll at 20%.  Yes,I know everyone can see this. :roll:

AH well I voted for Davis,so we offset lol.Some decent DE's in this draft as well.This draft is perfect for what we need most.I hope we dont blow it by taking a punter in round 3 HAHAHA(OMG I would fly to Novacare and beat them senseless!!!)

Very smart on the Eagles' part to submit the proposal to play the LA Rams & LA Chargers back to back so that they can stay on the West Coast to minimize some of the jet lag. Hopefully the league will approve it.

Dang,now we have to cater to the prima donna players cause it may make them too tough???? Ifn you dont like the job,dont take it!!!!!!

I am smiling at this board today. A bunch are saying BPA, but they are not looking that this draft is full of players where we pick that are a Position of need AND BPA. Seriously, You have a DT and a CB as the top of your board, the DT is ranked slightly higher. So, you take the DT instead of the CB who is a desperate need? If you do, I would fire you on the spot. We have so many needs, I doubt we will find us without a player of need at any point in the draft. This year we are very fortunate that the Position of Need happens to be the strength of the draft. We will be fine, assuming the draft gurus we have hired have done a good job.

I am smiling at this board today. A bunch are saying BPA, but they are not looking that this draft is full of players where we pick that are a Position of need AND BPA. Seriously, You have a DT and a CB as the top of your board, the DT is ranked slightly higher. So, you take the DT instead of the CB who is a desperate need? If you do, I would fire you on the spot. We have so many needs, I doubt we will find us without a player of need at any point in the draft. This year we are very fortunate that the Position of Need happens to be the strength of the draft. We will be fine, assuming the draft gurus we have hired have done a good job.

BOOM!!

Kpassagnon From Villanova is faster and bigger than both Barnett and Taco. Because he played for Nova, he is not getting the following of the other two, but mark my words, he is every bit as good, if not better than both of them.

Kpassagnon From Villanova is faster and bigger than both Barnett and Taco. Because he played for Nova, he is not getting the following of the other two, but mark my words, he is every bit as good, if not better than both of them.

Yep he;s gonna be a future nightmare