paco

Romo Retires - Joining CBS to replace Phil Simms

4 minutes ago, ilikepargo said:

Second, Dallas gets NOTHING.  No trade compensation.  No compensatory pick.  NOTHING.

but I was told by dallas fans that if bradford could net a 1st and a 4th, 'skys the limit' for what romo could get you?

1 hour ago, KOJO said:

I think he'll be really good at this. But wow, shooting right to the #1 analyst spot? Not sure how well that's going to go over inside the business.

Both CBS and Fox will have Cowboys QBs as their #1 analyst

3 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

That's what always got me...you have guys like Matthew Stafford, Carson Palmer...Phillip Rivers....high picks...top 5-10 guys who have not won squat and you never hear anything about them not winning in the playoffs Romo goes undrafted and gets killed for never winning anything and every mistake he makes leads sports center.

It's not that expectations were high because he was drafted late/undrafted, logically that doesn't make sense...then every QB taken later would be under that scrutiny. It's that he was a Dallas Cowboy plain and simple...had he played in Detroit, Cincy...almost anywhere else and it would not matter.

That's why when people say it's hard to play in philly or NY i laugh. Aikman won 3 rings and got booed out of texas stadium his last couple years and the national media spotlight is much brighter in Dallas. It's cool when you are winning, but twice as bad when you lose

It's harder to play football in Dallas than in NY or Philly, but when you take the 4 major sports as a whole there are no cities that are more ruthless. 

1 minute ago, BKLYNYG said:

It's harder to play football in Dallas than in NY or Philly, but when you take the 4 major sports as a whole there are no cities that are more ruthless. 

I definately agree in baseball....the Yankess are expected to win the WS every year, whereas the Texas Rangers have no history of winning and losing is pretty much expected.

15 minutes ago, cowboy30 said:

Doesn't CBS do the TNF games tho?

NFLN, CBS and NBC all do Thursday Night Football games. I'm not sure what the split is though.

Now the cowboys have officially released him. Would be funnny if he un-retired and signed with Houston.  :-D

16 minutes ago, jfluke said:

Now the cowboys have officially released him. Would be funnny if he un-retired and signed with Houston.  :-D

I really doubt he's going to risk a gig like he has at CBS for one last shot when that shot could be one season, one game, or one play. 

18 minutes ago, jfluke said:

Seems silly to release him, just for that reason. Unless they did that as a favor to him, to allow him to go anywhere he wanted to go with no Cowboys strings attached.

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Seems silly to release him, just for that reason. Unless they did that as a favor to him, to allow him to go anywhere he wanted to go with no Cowboys strings attached.

They could've,  and should've, done that before.

My guess is he gave his word to not come back. 

Or maybe they designate him post June 1 cut for cap relief?

2 minutes ago, cowboy_ron said:

I really doubt he's going to risk a gig like he has at CBS for one last shot when that shot could be one season, one game, or one play. 

Yeah, like the networks wouldn't be after him next year, or whenever he actually retired.

What's interesting to me is that this comes a day or so after Jerry Jones said that they would allow teams to bring Romo in for a work out or discussions etc... What changed so quickly? Because at that point you've got to think that Romo was really considering playing on in 2017?

5 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

That's what always got me...you have guys like Matthew Stafford, Carson Palmer...Phillip Rivers....high picks...top 5-10 guys who have not won squat and you never hear anything about them not winning in the playoffs Romo goes undrafted and gets killed for never winning anything and every mistake he makes leads sports center.

It's not that expectations were high because he was drafted late/undrafted, logically that doesn't make sense...then every QB taken later would be under that scrutiny. It's that he was a Dallas Cowboy plain and simple...had he played in Detroit, Cincy...almost anywhere else and it would not matter.

Being the st00pidly over-hyped media darling has its downsides.  Get over it.

If your team really wanted to change that, they could start by dumping the whole "America's Team" schtick.  It's an asinine and insulting claim.  And it's among the reasons that a whole lot of Americans, who do actually have teams, hate you so passionately.

I'm glad Simms is gone. I never really liked him as a color guy. But, I can't see Romo holding that gig for more than a few years. He shouldn't be a HOF QB and there will be a bigger name that will come down the pipeline that will be more of a draw than Romo is.  

Between him, Witten, and Demarcus Ware, hated them all as Cowboys, but of what little I pay attention to players off the field, all seem like good dudes. Was happy for Ware to get a ring in Denver, and now that Romo is no longer a Cowboy, I wish him well at CBS and any other future endeavors. Sorry Witten, looks like I have to wish you failure and misery for a few more years. :P

I have a hard time believing that his personality fits the booth. I may be wrong and he received 3 offers. I never thought Aikman would be very good either but i really like him and Joe Buck. They are the top team at Fox. 

I wish Tony all the best with his new career. He was a model teamate and had a close relationship with JJ and the entire organization. He took so much criticism from just about everyone but always handled himself with class. 

When you decide to play QB for the Dallas Cowboys you will be judged more then any other player in all of sports. Fair or not the rewards can be huge though. 

I read a story a few years ago about Tony and his wife. It never made main stream media because it was such a positive story. He and his wife are strong in their faith and so involved in help so many in their comunity. 

10 minutes ago, gch said:

I have a hard time believing that his personality fits the booth. I may be wrong and he received 3 offers.

I kind of agree. I think Romo is a good dude & affable enough. But he is kind of mush mouth & has a "aww shucks" quality about him that I don't know will translate. I wish him luck, and congratulate him on his opportunity, but will need to see it to believe it.

3 minutes ago, ckudrick said:

I kind of agree. I think Romo is a good dude & affable enough. But he is kind of mush mouth & has a "aww shucks" quality about him that I don't know will translate. I wish him luck, and congratulate him on his opportunity, but will need to see it to believe it.

See that's what I can't figure out. These media sources know what kind of personalities would be a good fit for the booth during primetime games. Maybe he does turns out to be good but looks like we'll know by the end of the year. 

Yea it is crazy that he takes over the #1 spot so quickly...I mean surely they would have had to bring him in, if possible, during this passed month or so and see if he at least had some natural ability. But maybe they're banking on him being an overall likable guy with a decent personality. 

Imagine if he botches and chokes on words during the game winning play for the SB....:unsure:

Guy was overrated and knew it and without all the help around him from a great OL and Star WR and TE, he knew he'd be exposed.  He always was soft and even sought the limelight by dating an airhead like that Simpson girl. Sorry guys and your tender feelings but that's the reality.

More importantly, maybe the Eagles can get more for #14 from teams that want to trade up and get a QB. 

14 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

By releasing him the Cowboys can spread his dead money over two years instead of it hitting all this year.

Well, yeah.  They always had the option to designate him as a June 1st cut.

But otherwise, agreed.  They had really no incentive to keep him.