paco

Romo Retires - Joining CBS to replace Phil Simms

When Romo "throws it over" to the sideline reporter, I bet the story gets intercepted.

35 minutes ago, paco said:

Well, yeah.  They always had the option to designate him as a June 1st cut.

But otherwise, agreed.  They had really no incentive to keep him.

I really think he made the right decision given his injuries....he's a standup guy, I hope he does well.

2 hours ago, cowboy_ron said:

I really think he made the right decision given his injuries....he's a standup guy, I hope he does well.

Despite my jpg in the first pic, I agree.  Other than his poor choice of Sunday dress I had no hate for him.

20 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

Two good things about this.

First, Romo isn't in a wheelchair.  He might have been if he played any longer.  The guy's back seems like it's made of styrofoam at this point, so it's good to see him getting out before he's truly damaged.

Second, Dallas gets NOTHING.  No trade compensation.  No compensatory pick.  NOTHING.

pargs,

I think they get some salary cap space.

15 hours ago, eggs said:

Guy was overrated and knew it and without all the help around him from a great OL and Star WR and TE, he knew he'd be exposed.  He always was soft and even sought the limelight by dating an airhead like that Simpson girl. Sorry guys and your tender feelings but that's the reality.

More importantly, maybe the Eagles can get more for #14 from teams that want to trade up and get a QB. 

Wrong, Dallas OL was not what it is now for the biggest part of his career. The whole team really didn't come together until 2014 which was his last year. 

Romo was a very good QB, not great but really good. He was one of the toughest players in the league even compared to Farve.  

We'll see how he does with CBS but I wish him all the luck. 

7 hours ago, gch said:

Wrong, Dallas OL was not what it is now for the biggest part of his career. The whole team really didn't come together until 2014 which was his last year. 

Romo was a very good QB, not great but really good. He was one of the toughest players in the league even compared to Farve.  

We'll see how he does with CBS but I wish him all the luck. 

You really didn't have to defend Romo against his stupid and ridiculous post. Think that's why everyone was just ignoring him.

10 hours ago, cowboy30 said:

You really didn't have to defend Romo against his stupid and ridiculous post. Think that's why everyone was just ignoring him.

Yea I know but sometimes you just have to call out being stupid. 

Accually Im glad this whole saga is over now. The media coverage is crazy over Romo and a lot of it just isn't very positive. Hey I understand he was a Dallas Cowboys QB that was not sucesful in the playoffs. Time to move on and let Romo do whatever he decides to do. 

It wouldnt surprise me to see him play again even this season. 

Its Dak's team now so time to focus on another great draft. Go Cowboys

Ok, I hate his stupid face again :P

When Joe Theismann broke his leg in 1985, his career was over.  Next season he was doing color commentary for CBS NFC games.  One of the first games he covered was his former team playing the Eagles at the Vet in 1986.  It was the most insufferable broadcast I've ever heard.   This was Buddy Ryan's first year so the Eagles were supposed to lose, but during the first half they were holding their own against the Redskins.  In the second half, the Redskins emerged as the better team, and all I could hear from Joe's mouth was "see, here's what the Redskins do, they do x and x and do it very well".  Joe became a cheerleader for his former team.  To his credit Theismann became a more neutral color commentator as the years past. He also criticized the Redskins many times after Snyder bought the team.  

If they have Romo do any Dallas games against the AFC, there should be a conflict of interest clause during the first year of a new color commentator. 

Joe was awful. I can't find the youtube but there was one posted here years ago where there were two definsive plays that were identical.  One was two random teams and one was Eagles-Washington with Eagles on defense. In the first clip Joe was gushing about how great the refs were allowing good hard nose football.  For the Eagles-Washington clip, he immediately started whining how that shouldn't be allowed, its dirty and the player should be ejected :rolleyes: 

Toward the end he was mailing it in.  His final season as announcer he was doing a preseason game and the opposing team punted to Washington.  Joe gets excited and exclaims "AND THE REDSKINS HAVE ANOTHER INTERCEPTION" :roll::roll:  

He never did a regular season game after that.

33 minutes ago, paco said:

Joe was awful. I can't find the youtube but there was one posted here years ago where there were two definsive plays that were identical.  One was two random teams and one was Eagles-Washington with Eagles on defense. In the first clip Joe was gushing about how great the refs were allowing good hard nose football.  For the Eagles-Washington clip, he immediately started whining how that shouldn't be allowed, its dirty and the player should be ejected :rolleyes: 

Toward the end he was mailing it in.  His final season as announcer he was doing a preseason game and the opposing team punted to Washington.  Joe gets excited and exclaims "AND THE REDSKINS HAVE ANOTHER INTERCEPTION" :roll::roll:  

He never did a regular season game after that.

I think I remember the comment Joe made in the Eagles game. It was after the Dawkplex and he started whining it should be a 15 yard penalty. 

8 hours ago, Iggles said:

If they have Romo do any Dallas games against the AFC, there should be a conflict of interest clause during the first year of a new color commentator. 

I remember when Vermeil started out in broadcasting, the network actually had a rule where he couldn't do Eagles games. I think he did the playoff game against the Redskins in '90, but that was rare.

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I think I remember the comment Joe made in the Eagles game. It was after the Dawkplex and he started whining it should be a 15 yard penalty. 

that be it

One more thing on Joe.... I met him on a flight a few years back.  My opinion of him was always low due to my fathers previous experience with him.  Lets just say he was a bit self absorbed.

Anyway he was seated directly behind me.  Two things struck me:

1) He saw a woman struggling with her luggage and he immediately got up and helped her get it in the overhead

2) The person seated next to him was a ND fan.  Wouldn't stop talking his ear off.  Joe the entire time was gracious.  Normally not a big deal but this was a red eye from SF to DC and most people sleep on the flight

I will say this he strikes me as a gentleman. So my opinion of him has softened

3 hours ago, paco said:

One more thing on Joe.... I met him on a flight a few years back.  My opinion of him was always low due to my fathers previous experience with him.  Lets just say he was a bit self absorbed.

Anyway he was seated directly behind me.  Two things struck me:

1) He saw a woman struggling with her luggage and he immediately got up and helped her get it in the overhead

2) The person seated next to him was a ND fan.  Wouldn't stop talking his ear off.  Joe the entire time was gracious.  Normally not a big deal but this was a red eye from SF to DC and most people sleep on the flight

I will say this he strikes me as a gentleman. So my opinion of him has softened

That's interesting, but I almost don't want to post this now....I said ALMOST.......Let me say first of all that I had NEVER cheered an injury to a player before or after Theismann got his leg broke by LT, but at the time I was never more ecstatic in my life...I despised that dude so much.

On 4/4/2017 at 4:49 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

NFLN, CBS and NBC all do Thursday Night Football games. I'm not sure what the split is though.

Excluding Thanksgiving, CBS and NBC each do five Thursday night games and NFL Network the other four plus the Saturday night games at the end of the season (the Thanksgiving night game on NBC is considered part of the Sunday Night package).  The NFL Network-only games are produced by CBS or NBC and air on such affiliate's stations in the home markets of the teams playing.  

7 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I remember when Vermeil started out in broadcasting, the network actually had a rule where he couldn't do Eagles games. I think he did the playoff game against the Redskins in '90, but that was rare.

Vermeil was I believe doing college football at ABC by then and he and Brent Musburger worked that 1990 Redskins-Eagles game at the Vet, which was the first game of a playoff doubleheader on ABC in the first year the NFL added a sixth playoff team in each conference so ABC could be given two playoff games as part of its then-Monday Night Football package. 

On 4/4/2017 at 6:05 PM, Don Corleone said:

That was cruel!!!!! :roll::roll::roll:

giphy.gif

image.thumb.jpeg.b770120a9cd512443b1fe55be64eb89b.jpeg

TL;DR = "Thanks for the one playoff win in 14 years."

On 4/4/2017 at 4:41 PM, BKLYNYG said:

It's harder to play football in Dallas than in NY or Philly, but when you take the 4 major sports as a whole there are no cities that are more ruthless. 

Agreed, I was purely talking football