Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] No 'Off' Season For Eagles Coaching Staff

Speaking of jerseys, I'm surprised the NFL hasn't been updating their unis. Look at college basketball. They have the inlaid prints on them now. Much fancier than the old boring football jersey. I mean I can't be the first one to think of having The Liberty Bell inlaid across the back. You know what I mean? You can't really tell anything is there from far but upclose you can see the detail.

15 hours ago, trini said:

I think Fournette is the guy we need. Love John Ross, Foster, Hassan, Davis, Howard, Barnett, sooo many flavors. Beau Allens untimely injury could warrant DT with the 14 th pick. That kid with the athritic shoulders...C.R.S...cant think of his name, he is dropping in the ratings, rated #2 DT... any how are we thinking DT?

If the Jags pass on Fournette with pick 4,they are beyond stupid

When considering Coughlin’s past, even dating before 2011, he’s seen some astronomical success with early rounders on the defensive line. Marcus Stroud, John Henderson, Justin Tuck, and Jason Pierre-Paul are among notables who were drafted in his tenures as coach of the Giants or Jaguars.

As for the running backs, Leonard Fournette and Dalvin Cook headline the field. Within Coughlin’s last five years with the organization, the Giants didn’t invest a lot of high picks on running backs aside from David Wilson. He was the coach of the Giants when they drafted both Brandon Jacobs (2005) and Ahmad Bradshaw (2007) late in their respective drafts. This trend indicates Coughlin taking a running back in round one is unlikely, though there is a possibility he could.
Though a lot can change between now and April, if we’re to follow the Giants’ history with Coughlin, the strongest possibility in the first round may be taking a defensive lineman due to the draft class strength. A defensive back would likely follow and a running back would most likely be third. Coughlin likes offensive linemen in the first round and would probably take one this year but there are none worthy of the fourth pick.

Okay GB, The 4 guys I see the most mocked to the Jags with the 4th pick are RB Fournette, DT, Jonathon Allen, S Jamal Adams and TE O.J. Howard. Everyone of these guys would help the Jags but it is up to Coughlin as he is in total control of the draft this year.

16 hours ago, PhillyRod said:

i have 2 jerseys now,. the first was Bobby Hoying(long story), but I am sporting a #11 now.(Runyan was a beast)

You know that kind of scares the crap out of me that you(big time Eag fan) has only two jerseys. Hoying and now Wentz? I really hope there aren't comparisons between the two. You couldn't even use a Hoying jersey on a scarecrow. It would defeat the purpose.

LMAO

So guess on a slow day I will mess around with an Eagles Mock.....

1st- Gareon Conley- Not 100% sold on him but think it is a real possibility the Eagles take him and I do believe he would fit in Schwartz scheme and be able to start day 1 

2nd- Chris Godwin- Eagles get some insurance at WR might not see the field a ton year 1 but could still contribute on STs and as the 4th or 5th WR 

3rd- Akehllo Witherspoon- Eagles land a big fast athletic CB that can matchup with the big WRs in the NFL 

4th Tanoh Kpassanon- Love him but he is raw simple as that but should be able to provide depth all over the DL and should not have to start day 1 being able to learn and help in a rotation 

4th- Samaje Perine- Should fit perfectly in a committee backfield and be that workhorse RB that we need to carry the majority of the load....He is a small tank that can get the tough yards and wear down defense late in games....Should compliment change of pace guys like Smalls/Sproles really well....

5th-Shaquill Griffin-rebuilding the CB talent pool and Griffin is a part of it could find himself in the mix to start if not provides us with a young talented depth player on a rookie deal 

6th-Jeremy Sprinkle- Adding a TE Celek can not play forever and will need another TE Sprinkle has the tools to be able to do it all he can block and provide a threat in the passing game in 2 or 3 TE sets.... He should not be counted on year 1 which will give him time to refine some skills 

7th- BPA- Hate picking 7th rounders so going basic just using BPA someone good is bound to fall always happens we could look at another developmental OL could be a LB, RB, WR hell maybe even a QB who knows 

Rob Gronkowski Like

OJ Howard has a massive frame at 6’6″ 250 pounds. That is size you cannot teach. He reminds me of a a young Rob Gronkowski. He is a big tight end that can contribute in the running game, but will do most of his damage catching the ball. His numbers during his four years at Alabama are not eye popping, but you have to realize what kind of offense he is playing in. It is an offense that thrives off of the ground and pound game.

When it comes to the big games, Howard shows up. In both of his championship appearances, he has had some monster games. During Alabama’s 45-40 win over Clemson in 2016, he tallied 205 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns. In their loss in January he caught for over 100 yards and one score.

His size and ability to catch the ball is very attractive to NFL teams. NFL linebackers and defensive backs are going to have a very hard time covering him. Most of the time it will take more than one defender to bring him down.

Strengths

Size makes him hard to bring down
Soft hands
Almost impossible to cover in passing game
Agile for a big man

Concerns
Raw talent, needs some polishing
Can improve route running
Where Will He Land?

Howard is essentially a first round lock. Where he goes in the first round is the real question. There are mock drafts that have Howard going in the top 10. It will depend on how the beginning of the draft goes. Teams that have shown the most interest in Howard thus far are the Jags, Giants, Ravens, Packers and Chiefs.

A lot makes sense on the mock attempt BG. Conley is the big riser at corner. I believe we missed out on Tanoh moving back in the Jernigan trade. But who knows how they really end up falling? I'm usually surprised by some things.

Rueben Foster

Defensive lineman Jonathan Allen was Alabama's best player in 2016. Foster, because of his potential and skill set, wasn't far behind in the mind of most NFL scouts.
Starting for just the second season of his college career in 2016, Foster immediately erased concerns as to how Alabama might replace last year's leader and SEC Defensive Player of the Year, Reggie Ragland, winning the Butkus Award and consensus All-American honors with 115 tackles, including 13 tackles for loss and five sacks.
As the NFL has increasingly turned to the passing game, inside linebackers have dropped in value. That won't be the case with Foster, however, whose sideline to sideline speed, explosive hitting and experience in coverage makes him one of the few linebackers in recent years who truly projects as a three-down defender at the position. With all due respect to Ragland - a more instinctive and reliable open-field tackler than Foster - this latest Alabama star at linebacker projects even better to the NFL.
At a rock solid 6-1, 240 pounds with broad shoulders, a trim middle and well-built limbs, Foster offers prototypical size for an inside linebacker role. His greatest attribute, however, is his pure explosiveness. Whether it be his outstanding sideline-to-sideline speed or the impact he generates with his collisions, Foster is a heat-seeking missile hell-bent on destruction. Just as aggressive as he is athletic, Foster attacks would-be blockers in the running game, jolting opponents with a powerful punch that can leave them staggering. When blockers are successful in latching onto him, Foster shows impressive leg drive and balance to anchor, creating a pile runners have to avoid and easy tackle opportunities for teammates. Foster is a true lights-out hitter, generating bone-rattling hits due to his acceleration and compact frame. He launches himself into ballcarriers, typically wrapping his arms securely, as well, for the flashy but efficient take-down. Foster shows acute diagnosis skills. He takes sharp angles to the ball, often beating blockers to the action and surprising ballcarriers with his closing speed. Foster keeps his eyes locked onto the quarterback when in coverage, breaking quickly as the pass is released, often initiating contact with the intended receiver just as the ball arrives.
With all due respect to Myles Garrett and the rest of this dynamic edge rusher class, Foster might just be the most explosive defender in the entire 2017 draft. An intimidating face-up hitter with sideline-to-sideline speed, Foster projects as an immediate difference-maker in the middle in the NFL and a possible top 10 choice. The consensus is that Foster will be a future Pro Bowler in the mold of Patrick Willis.

17 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

How much do you believe not having a second round pick next year hamstrings this draft?

Not at all honestly probably by next draft we will have a extra picks and can not rule out us getting a 2nd rounder in 2018 yet either..... Plus Rowe should get us what a 4th rounder at the least 

23 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

A lot makes sense on the mock attempt BG. Conley is the big riser at corner. I believe we missed out on Tanoh moving back in the Jernigan trade. But who knows how they really end up falling? I'm usually surprised by some things.

Could be right on Tanoh going by rankings mainly but those things are not set in stone so guys are going to go much higher and others will fall.....No clue how this draft will play out yet still anyone's guess.....Honestly still expecting Howie to make a big splash in the draft we in Philly would not be shocked to see us selecting in the top 10 again which would be HUGE!!!!!!! 

How much do you believe not having a second round pick next year hamstrings this draft?

Would you trade JMatt during the draft for a second round pick next year? I believe they could only get a 4th round pick this year for him but could likely up the anti if they were willing to wait for it until next year. I really believe that JMatt will be gone during the draft if the Eagles take Corey Davis in the first round. Not so much if they don't.

2 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Would you trade JMatt during the draft for a second round pick next year? I believe they could only get a 4th round pick this year for him but could likely up the anti if they were willing to wait for it until next year. I really believe that JMatt will be gone during the draft if the Eagles take Corey Davis in the first round. Not so much if they don't.

If we have no intention of bringing Jmatt back next year makes a ton of sense to off-load him now and get what we could and landing a 2nd rounder next year would be amazing value....Would even make more sense if we draft a guy to be his replacement in this draft 

Alshon/Jmatt are really the two big WRs to worry about come FA next year and odds are we will prioritize Alshon if he plays well which makes sense since he is probably the most talented WR we have had in Philly since TO......Not including Torrey Smith since we have rights to him if we want him back can bring him back have team option on him only way he is gone is if we don't want him 

48 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Could be right on Tanoh going by rankings mainly but those things are not set in stone so guys are going to go much higher and others will fall.....No clue how this draft will play out yet still anyone's guess.....Honestly still expecting Howie to make a big splash in the draft we in Philly would not be shocked to see us selecting in the top 10 again which would be HUGE!!!!!!! 

I dont think the draft being in Philly has any effect on Roseman moves lol Not like he makes a trade and screams out Are You Not Enterained?

5 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

If we have no intention of bringing Jmatt back next year makes a ton of sense to off-load him now and get what we could and landing a 2nd rounder next year would be amazing value....Would even make more sense if we draft a guy to be his replacement in this draft 

The only thing I have against trading him is the fact that we haven't been able to see what he can do without being the center of attention. This year he will not be the center of attention. I believe the Eagles already know what kind of money he is looking for or he would have been resigned already. If Corey Davis is drafted with pick 14 then the Eagles are going to want to get him on the field IMO. If Davis isn't taken in the first round and say we go with BG93's mock and take Godwin in the second or third round, I believe JMatt will stay and Godwin could get a year of playing part time until the following year.

Wow the Chiefs. Could you imagine? Kelce and Howard.

I could imagine Ertz and Howard better. LOL

Rueben Foster

Defensive lineman Jonathan Allen was Alabama's best player in 2016. Foster, because of his potential and skill set, wasn't far behind in the mind of most NFL scouts.
Starting for just the second season of his college career in 2016, Foster immediately erased concerns as to how Alabama might replace last year's leader and SEC Defensive Player of the Year, Reggie Ragland, winning the Butkus Award and consensus All-American honors with 115 tackles, including 13 tackles for loss and five sacks.
As the NFL has increasingly turned to the passing game, inside linebackers have dropped in value. That won't be the case with Foster, however, whose sideline to sideline speed, explosive hitting and experience in coverage makes him one of the few linebackers in recent years who truly projects as a three-down defender at the position. With all due respect to Ragland - a more instinctive and reliable open-field tackler than Foster - this latest Alabama star at linebacker projects even better to the NFL.
At a rock solid 6-1, 240 pounds with broad shoulders, a trim middle and well-built limbs, Foster offers prototypical size for an inside linebacker role. His greatest attribute, however, is his pure explosiveness. Whether it be his outstanding sideline-to-sideline speed or the impact he generates with his collisions, Foster is a heat-seeking missile hell-bent on destruction. Just as aggressive as he is athletic, Foster attacks would-be blockers in the running game, jolting opponents with a powerful punch that can leave them staggering. When blockers are successful in latching onto him, Foster shows impressive leg drive and balance to anchor, creating a pile runners have to avoid and easy tackle opportunities for teammates. Foster is a true lights-out hitter, generating bone-rattling hits due to his acceleration and compact frame. He launches himself into ballcarriers, typically wrapping his arms securely, as well, for the flashy but efficient take-down. Foster shows acute diagnosis skills. He takes sharp angles to the ball, often beating blockers to the action and surprising ballcarriers with his closing speed. Foster keeps his eyes locked onto the quarterback when in coverage, breaking quickly as the pass is released, often initiating contact with the intended receiver just as the ball arrives.
With all due respect to Myles Garrett and the rest of this dynamic edge rusher class, Foster might just be the most explosive defender in the entire 2017 draft. An intimidating face-up hitter with sideline-to-sideline speed, Foster projects as an immediate difference-maker in the middle in the NFL and a possible top 10 choice. The consensus is that Foster will be a future Pro Bowler in the mold of Patrick Willis.

Teams that have shown the most interest in Foster thus far are the 49er's, Saints, Bengals, Redskins and Ravens.
Best Fit
Predicting where Foster will end up in the 2017 NFL Draft is tricky. Most of the time, teams draft for need instead of picking up the best player available. Foster is one of the best overall prospects, but teams will pass on him to go with a more pressing need.

Interesting story I read the other day. New England Patriots had a private work out recently with Derek Barnett yet they don't have a pick in the draft until the 8th pick of the third round. So does that mean that Jimmy G or Malcolm Butler are getting traded for a good first rounder?

LB Reuben Foster is a great pick for whoever chooses him, IMO. I agree he's going to be a big-time player in the NFL, and think he's one of the best players in this year's draft. There's also a good chance that he's the best player left on the board at #14. So, it will be interesting to see what the Eagles do, if that happens.

Western Michigan WR Corey Davis is visiting the Browns on Tuesday, according to Ian Rapoport.
This is just the second reported visit for Davis thus far in the process, a wide receiver many believe is the top prospect at his position. Davis is recovering from minor ankle surgery and might not workout for teams prior to the draft. He previously visited the Eagles. Apr 4 - 9:39 AM
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

I'm bummed about the Beau Allen news. I thought Allen came into his own last year, and played well for the Eagles. & I hope the injury wasn't due to Allen attempting to increase his workouts, after receiving the news that a player of Timmy Jerningan's quality is set to become his new competition at DT.

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:
  1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

The only thing I have against trading him is the fact that we haven't been able to see what he can do without being the center of attention. This year he will not be the center of attention. I believe the Eagles already know what kind of money he is looking for or he would have been resigned already. If Corey Davis is drafted with pick 14 then the Eagles are going to want to get him on the field IMO. If Davis isn't taken in the first round and say we go with BG93's mock and take Godwin in the second or third round, I believe JMatt will stay and Godwin could get a year of playing part time until the following year.

We have seen him when he wasnt center of attention when Maclin was here. He did good.

I want to see if Agholor can step up. First 2 seasons havent been to great. Think he could be a good slot option though.

LB Reuben Foster is a great pick for whoever chooses him, IMO. I agree he's going to be a big-time player in the NFL, and think he's one of the best players in this year's draft. There's also a good chance that he's the best player left on the board at #14. So, it will be interesting to see what the Eagles do, if that happens.

This is just my opinion as an amateur talent evaluator BUT I feel we won't have to wait very long to find out if Joe Douglas statement about taking the BPA in the first round was true or not. LOL