Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] No 'Off' Season For Eagles Coaching Staff

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:
  1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

A lot makes sense on the mock attempt BG. Conley is the big riser at corner. I believe we missed out on Tanoh moving back in the Jernigan trade. But who knows how they really end up falling? I'm usually surprised by some things.

Could be right on Tanoh going by rankings mainly but those things are not set in stone so guys are going to go much higher and others will fall.....No clue how this draft will play out yet still anyone's guess.....Honestly still expecting Howie to make a big splash in the draft we in Philly would not be shocked to see us selecting in the top 10 again which would be HUGE!!!!!!! 

I dont think the draft being in Philly has any effect on Roseman moves lol Not like he makes a trade and screams out Are You Not Enterained?

One word regarding Howie Freak, EGO! LOL

Tim McManus
ESPN Staff Writer

Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama

Part of what attracted the Eagles to Joe Douglas, now the team's vice president of player personnel, is that he came up in the Ravens system under Ozzie Newsome. There is a desire to fill this roster with the type of hard-nosed, football-consumed, contact-craving players the Ravens have become known for. The position they're most closely associated with, of course, is linebacker. Doesn't Foster seem like a total Baltimore pick? In Philly, his top-shelf athleticism and killer instinct would make defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz giddy and take that defense to a whole new level. Some worry about how he might fit with Jordan Hicks. I don't. I think you could keep Hicks in the middle, plug Foster in at weakside and just let them eat.

Pick 14, "OJ Howard. OJ Howard. OJ Howard. Do you agree?"
In short, Howard is the most valuable pass catching option in this draft. While underutilized at Alabama, he showed off his immense ability when he was involved. Yes, he is a tight end and the Eagles have Ertz, Burton and ol' faithful, but that should not prevent the Eagles from coveting what Howard can do. A 6-5, 250 pound target who runs sub 4.6 down the middle of a defense will make the rest of the offense better. A field can get stretched up the seam and Howard can line up in the slot or inline. This does not hurt the offense at all because you can have Ertz and Howard on the field at the same time and Howard's speed will create space for Matthews and Ertz to work. Do not overthink this. Howard is a gifted pass catcher and this team desperately needs gifted pass catchers.

2 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Alshon/Jmatt are really the two big WRs to worry about come FA next year and odds are we will prioritize Alshon if he plays well which makes sense since he is probably the most talented WR we have had in Philly since TO......Not including Torrey Smith since we have rights to him if we want him back can bring him back have team option on him only way he is gone is if we don't want him 

The plan is to tag Alshon or let him walk if he doesn't live up to that standard. JMatt is all but gone. I've been a big fan of his. He really has done well to start his NFL career. GreaT to get that kind of production right of the bat. But we know what the market probably looks like and we aren't going to give him near double digit millions per.  Because as much as I like him I have to concede he isn't an elite receiver. I'm sure he is working on catching the ball this offseason but he just isn't reliable as a third down option because of his stone hands. He hasn't shown as a redzone option like I had hoped either. And he doesn't have blistering speed to stretch a defense.

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Interesting story I read the other day. New England Patriots had a private work out recently with Derek Barnett yet they don't have a pick in the draft until the 8th pick of the third round. So does that mean that Jimmy G or Malcolm Butler are getting traded for a good first rounder?

You know Bellicheat is probably just scouting. Figuring out his weaknesses. Maybe he thinks he will land inside the division as well.

In short, Howard is the most valuable pass catching option in this draft. While underutilized at Alabama, he showed off his immense ability when he was involved. Yes, he is a tight end and the Eagles have Ertz, Burton and ol' faithful, but that should not prevent the Eagles from coveting what Howard can do. A 6-5, 250 pound target who runs sub 4.6 down the middle of a defense will make the rest of the offense better. A field can get stretched up the seam and Howard can line up in the slot or inline. This does not hurt the offense at all because you can have Ertz and Howard on the field at the same time and Howard's speed will create space for Matthews and Ertz to work. Do not overthink this. Howard is a gifted pass catcher and this team desperately needs gifted pass catchers.

So if the BPA at 14 was a QB do we take him? The only way i'd take a TE is if there are no CBs, LBs, OTs or RBs worth a mid 1st rnd pick.

I'm all about BPA but you have to temper that

1 hour ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

We have seen him when he wasnt center of attention when Maclin was here. He did good.

I want to see if Agholor can step up. First 2 seasons havent been to great. Think he could be a good slot option though.

Always thought he was more of a slot receiver BUT you have to catch the da4n ball no matter what position on the field. And if anyone mentions that he actually dropped a pass ....ohhhh watch out...that guy needs to grow some thicker skin for this league. 

10 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

So if the BPA at 14 was a QB do we take him? The only way i'd take a TE is if there are no CBs, LBs, OTs or RBs worth a mid 1st rnd pick.

There isn't a QB worth top 14 but Safeties there are. Adams,Hooker,Peppers, Obi, Budda

So do you take a S?

OK the last three are stretching 14 but one could be there with the second round pick.

Stop using BPA and QB in the same thought. You play with 1 QB ... the other positions you get the best player because you can play them both at the same time. QB, punter, kicker, long snapper, holder .... the gy who picks up the tee after the kickoff, the towel boy.... they don't fit when talking BPA.

GBinFl since you have already acknowledged that you are a CRS sufferer, like me... it is possible that you Forgot?... hehehe "snicker snicker" that you told me Foster was the hardest hitting LB...It could also mean that I asked Freak and it was he that told me No Way Foster falls to 14. Anyhoo, my point was with so many choices and flavors in this Draft, aside from Myles Garrett, we won't know until the Dominos fall.

Then again Cleveland passed on Carson Wentz last year. Is Garrett guaranteed to go #1... we talking about Cleveland.lol. Could Fournette get by the Jags who need a QB, or Carolina, would we move up if he is in striking Distance. Is he even a player we like?  That what's a little maddening about this draft... sooo many choices  It could work to our advantage.

Not this time grasshoppa.I don't talk about LB-trust me-don't do linemen so no way could I say who hits the hardest lol

Speaking of jerseys, I'm surprised the NFL hasn't been updating their unis. Look at college basketball. They have the inlaid prints on them now. Much fancier than the old boring football jersey. I mean I can't be the first one to think of having The Liberty Bell inlaid across the back. You know what I mean? You can't really tell anything is there from far but upclose you can see the detail.

So lets set the league in it's ear and have KELLY green unis with 3D holograhphic Eagles logo's HAHA

Rob Gronkowski Like

OJ Howard has a massive frame at 6’6″ 250 pounds. That is size you cannot teach. He reminds me of a a young Rob Gronkowski. He is a big tight end that can contribute in the running game, but will do most of his damage catching the ball. His numbers during his four years at Alabama are not eye popping, but you have to realize what kind of offense he is playing in. It is an offense that thrives off of the ground and pound game.

When it comes to the big games, Howard shows up. In both of his championship appearances, he has had some monster games. During Alabama’s 45-40 win over Clemson in 2016, he tallied 205 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns. In their loss in January he caught for over 100 yards and one score.

His size and ability to catch the ball is very attractive to NFL teams. NFL linebackers and defensive backs are going to have a very hard time covering him. Most of the time it will take more than one defender to bring him down.

Strengths

Size makes him hard to bring down
Soft hands
Almost impossible to cover in passing game
Agile for a big man

Concerns
Raw talent, needs some polishing
Can improve route running
Where Will He Land?

Howard is essentially a first round lock. Where he goes in the first round is the real question. There are mock drafts that have Howard going in the top 10. It will depend on how the beginning of the draft goes. Teams that have shown the most interest in Howard thus far are the Jags, Giants, Ravens, Packers and Chiefs.

IMO if the Jags pass on Fournette(or Cook if they like him better) they are beyond stupid.Also Cards in a quandry at 13.Do you draft a Fitz replacement or draft a Palmer replacement lol

How much do you believe not having a second round pick next year hamstrings this draft?

Don't care,let Howie work his magic.He pulls future draft picks out of his...well NM I'm just trying to get through THIS year lol

"gifted pass catchers" I think Davis rates that.

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

A lot makes sense on the mock attempt BG. Conley is the big riser at corner. I believe we missed out on Tanoh moving back in the Jernigan trade. But who knows how they really end up falling? I'm usually surprised by some things.

Could be right on Tanoh going by rankings mainly but those things are not set in stone so guys are going to go much higher and others will fall.....No clue how this draft will play out yet still anyone's guess.....Honestly still expecting Howie to make a big splash in the draft we in Philly would not be shocked to see us selecting in the top 10 again which would be HUGE!!!!!!! 

Well if there is a run on DE's KPass will go in 3.Also don;t overlook Walker in 3 either

20 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  20 hours ago, trini said:

I think Fournette is the guy we need. Love John Ross, Foster, Hassan, Davis, Howard, Barnett, sooo many flavors. Beau Allens untimely injury could warrant DT with the 14 th pick. That kid with the athritic shoulders...C.R.S...cant think of his name, he is dropping in the ratings, rated #2 DT... any how are we thinking DT?

If the Jags pass on Fournette with pick 4,they are beyond stupid

When considering Coughlin’s past, even dating before 2011, he’s seen some astronomical success with early rounders on the defensive line. Marcus Stroud, John Henderson, Justin Tuck, and Jason Pierre-Paul are among notables who were drafted in his tenures as coach of the Giants or Jaguars.

As for the running backs, Leonard Fournette and Dalvin Cook headline the field. Within Coughlin’s last five years with the organization, the Giants didn’t invest a lot of high picks on running backs aside from David Wilson. He was the coach of the Giants when they drafted both Brandon Jacobs (2005) and Ahmad Bradshaw (2007) late in their respective drafts. This trend indicates Coughlin taking a running back in round one is unlikely, though there is a possibility he could.
Though a lot can change between now and April, if we’re to follow the Giants’ history with Coughlin, the strongest possibility in the first round may be taking a defensive lineman due to the draft class strength. A defensive back would likely follow and a running back would most likely be third. Coughlin likes offensive linemen in the first round and would probably take one this year but there are none worthy of the fourth pick.

Okay GB, The 4 guys I see the most mocked to the Jags with the 4th pick are RB Fournette, DT, Jonathon Allen, S Jamal Adams and TE O.J. Howard. Everyone of these guys would help the Jags but it is up to Coughlin as he is in total control of the draft this year.

Well then he will (stupidly) pass on Fournette,because he normally doesn't care about RB's.He will use hand me downs and beat up FA's lol

Western Michigan WR Corey Davis is visiting the Browns on Tuesday, according to Ian Rapoport.
This is just the second reported visit for Davis thus far in the process, a wide receiver many believe is the top prospect at his position. Davis is recovering from minor ankle surgery and might not workout for teams prior to the draft. He previously visited the Eagles. Apr 4 - 9:39 AM
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Hmm,if they do that they give up their QB pick at 12 unless they plan on using that with pick 1(which would be foolish-but hey its the BROWNS lol)

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

Its very likely then that Howard could be the BPA at 14. Using your criteria, No OT's are worth the 14th pick. 1 LB is worth the 14th pick, IMO, now that Sydney Jones was injured, No CB's worth the 14th pick. Possibly 3 RB's worth the 14th pick. All depends who is left.

18 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

There isn't a QB worth top 14 but Safeties there are. Adams,Hooker,Peppers, Obi, Budda

So do you take a S?

OK the last three are stretching 14 but one could be there with the second round pick.

Qb starved teams will reach,what other options do they have? I see possibly 2 going before we pick

2 hours ago, MrSimpson said:

LB Reuben Foster is a great pick for whoever chooses him, IMO. I agree he's going to be a big-time player in the NFL, and think he's one of the best players in this year's draft. There's also a good chance that he's the best player left on the board at #14. So, it will be interesting to see what the Eagles do, if that happens.

This is just my opinion as an amateur talent evaluator BUT I feel we won't have to wait very long to find out if Joe Douglas statement about taking the BPA in the first round was true or not. LOL

Who is the BPA? Whatever you think may not be what he thinks.Sorry,I know y'all want some D in here,but if you pass on Corey you're gonna regret it

4 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Alshon/Jmatt are really the two big WRs to worry about come FA next year and odds are we will prioritize Alshon if he plays well which makes sense since he is probably the most talented WR we have had in Philly since TO......Not including Torrey Smith since we have rights to him if we want him back can bring him back have team option on him only way he is gone is if we don't want him 

The plan is to tag Alshon or let him walk if he doesn't live up to that standard. JMatt is all but gone. I've been a big fan of his. He really has done well to start his NFL career. GreaT to get that kind of production right of the bat. But we know what the market probably looks like and we aren't going to give him near double digit millions per.  Because as much as I like him I have to concede he isn't an elite receiver. I'm sure he is working on catching the ball this offseason but he just isn't reliable as a third down option because of his stone hands. He hasn't shown as a redzone option like I had hoped either. And he doesn't have blistering speed to stretch a defense.

Hands and awareness. The no double toe tap is a big down fall. Hes got speed just not speed to take the roof off the D. Get the ball in his hands and he can burn some players. Key word ball in hands lol

2 hours ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

We have seen him when he wasnt center of attention when Maclin was here. He did good.

I want to see if Agholor can step up. First 2 seasons havent been to great. Think he could be a good slot option though.

Always thought he was more of a slot receiver BUT you have to catch the da4n ball no matter what position on the field. And if anyone mentions that he actually dropped a pass ....ohhhh watch out...that guy needs to grow some thicker skin for this league. 

Yeah its all mental for Agholor. Check out the USC games of his. Totally different player in an Eagles jersey. Flashes here and there. Lacking confidence. Thats another reason i want to see him take over KR/PR duties. Nothing better than catching the ball and getting the hit up out of the way and the nerves.

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:
  3 hours ago, MrSimpson said:

LB Reuben Foster is a great pick for whoever chooses him, IMO. I agree he's going to be a big-time player in the NFL, and think he's one of the best players in this year's draft. There's also a good chance that he's the best player left on the board at #14. So, it will be interesting to see what the Eagles do, if that happens.

This is just my opinion as an amateur talent evaluator BUT I feel we won't have to wait very long to find out if Joe Douglas statement about taking the BPA in the first round was true or not. LOL

Who is the BPA? Whatever you think may not be what he thinks.Sorry,I know y'all want some D in here,but if you pass on Corey you're gonna regret it

Davis was in my top 10 picks GB.

3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Interesting story I read the other day. New England Patriots had a private work out recently with Derek Barnett yet they don't have a pick in the draft until the 8th pick of the third round. So does that mean that Jimmy G or Malcolm Butler are getting traded for a good first rounder?

You know Bellicheat is probably just scouting. Figuring out his weaknesses. Maybe he thinks he will land inside the division as well.

Maybe the Browns want Jimmy G and will trade pick 12 for him.

3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Western Michigan WR Corey Davis is visiting the Browns on Tuesday, according to Ian Rapoport.
This is just the second reported visit for Davis thus far in the process, a wide receiver many believe is the top prospect at his position. Davis is recovering from minor ankle surgery and might not workout for teams prior to the draft. He previously visited the Eagles. Apr 4 - 9:39 AM
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Hmm,if they do that they give up their QB pick at 12 unless they plan on using that with pick 1(which would be foolish-but hey its the BROWNS lol)

This was a two day visit GB