Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] No 'Off' Season For Eagles Coaching Staff

G-day. Article yesterday by Kempski we're 1.6 under somehow. Several players will not be here, they're just going to try to use them in draft trades and of course RMats' injury, which will take a docs' ok or an injury settlement. As is the cap's nothing to be worried about unless we want to make a move on a player. Blount's own words are he wants to get paid, not worth a high contract, avg. Sherman can play and would be a great addition if he weren't such a loud mouth. He's 9.4 dead cap for Seattle, plus they'll want something. He's 29 yrs old btw, so a few yrs left.

I would hope that they are not using the Combine as a bench mark! Those work outs are just to confirm the tape they have on certain players, or to have them take another look after the work out. I don't care how fast you are, if you can't perform on the field it means nothing. Last I want is another Al Davis drafting every work out pro, regardless of how they played in College...

Greenbleedin writes, "It's a highlight reel lol.I post them too,just to show athleticism.So far we are drafting Caff,Fournette,Cook,Mixon and now Perrine.Who's the next RB you are high on?"

That's not what I said or at least meant to say. Actually, I've been very consistent about who I think the Eagles should draft running back-wise. For months now, I've touted Samaje Perine and Tarik Cohen (as Sproles replacement). I only added Mixon to the conversation a month or so ago because I bought his 'apology' press conference at the end of 2016, and think he's arguably the best RB in the draft, alongside Fournette. Mixon is at least more versatile than Fournette.

I only mentioned the other backs as variables, since Roseman might go after them, we don't know, and I won't be hugely disappointed if he does, but I'd prefer the Eagles addressed other needs in round #1, and pick up Mixon, Perine & Cohen (or some combination of) in later rounds. That seems to me to be the best solution to the Eagles running back problems, considering they've got other hugely important needs.

As for Perine, I agree, he's not the fastest player on the field. A guy like Pumpfrey is clearly faster and quicker than Perine, for instance. But if you watch Perine's Combine, he runs with tremendous force in his upper body. Fairy dust will knock Pumpfrey to the ground. But with Perine, it'll take more than one DB unless they tackle him very low--below the knee. That's what I see in the films. And the bad news for DBs is that Perine has very short legs, and thick legs, so tackling him low won't be easy either--at least, once he gets moving. I expect he'll give LBs problems too, so all the O-L needs to do is take care of the DTs & DEs, and Perine will off to the races. Just my opinion.

By the way, Mayock agrees with me on Tarik Cohen, which I didn't know about, until I watched Cohen's Combine highlights yesterday. When Cohen ran his 40, Mayock said he'd *never seen* another RB that could change directions as quickly as Cohen. That's high praise. To me, Cohen looks like he may be even quicker than McCoy and Sproles.

So, I stick with my original view, if the Eagles can get Mixon, Perine, and Cohen, they'd have everything they need--since each back compliments the other perfectly, to my mind.

Just popped to see what was happening on the eye, Lupes posted one of my emails! I hate when he does that because a bunch of people critique me on it.... Mr Simpson, There are lots of good RB's in the draft this year. Whether or not we draft one and when is a totally different story. We desperately need 2 CB's and have the 14th pick. We will most likely never be in this position again (hopefully) so we almost have to draft one in the first round. If one of the top 2-3 are not there, we need to move back and draft one later in round 1. Now, I would think this is how the Eagles are thinking, but I could be way off base. I am tired of not having anyone that can cover on our defense. Hopefully I am not the only one...

You're not alone Stine. There are several players early who are game changers who we'd have to take if they dropped to us. Other than that the rest that would be available to us at 14 grade out nearly the same and I'm with you - have to go CB as we need a player with high odds to start right away. And like you I'm really tired of not being able to cover.

The Sherman saga just keeps getting funnier by the day. At least I have something to keep me entertained while waiting for the draft to get here.

Simpson As far as Mixon goes. I like how the kid plays think he would be ahead of McCaffery if not for the off field stuff. But highly doubt he would be there at 99 and I wouldn't spend our 2nd on him unless we moved back later in the rd.

Greenbleedin writes, "It's a highlight reel lol.I post them too,just to show athleticism.So far we are drafting Caff,Fournette,Cook,Mixon and now Perrine.Who's the next RB you are high on?"

That's not what I said or at least meant to say. Actually, I've been very consistent about who I think the Eagles should draft running back-wise. For months now, I've touted Samaje Perine and Tarik Cohen (as Sproles replacement). I only added Mixon to the conversation a month or so ago because I bought his 'apology' press conference at the end of 2016, and think he's arguably the best RB in the draft, alongside Fournette. Mixon is at least more versatile than Fournette.

I only mentioned the other backs as variables, since Roseman might go after them, we don't know, and I won't be hugely disappointed if he does, but I'd prefer the Eagles addressed other needs in round #1, and pick up Mixon, Perine & Cohen (or some combination of) in later rounds. That seems to me to be the best solution to the Eagles running back problems, considering they've got other hugely important needs.

As for Perine, I agree, he's not the fastest player on the field. A guy like Pumpfrey is clearly faster and quicker than Perine, for instance. But if you watch Perine's Combine, he runs with tremendous force in his upper body. Fairy dust will knock Pumpfrey to the ground. But with Perine, it'll take more than one DB unless they tackle him very low--below the knee. That's what I see in the films. And the bad news for DBs is that Perine has very short legs, and thick legs, so tackling him low won't be easy either--at least, once he gets moving. I expect he'll give LBs problems too, so all the O-L needs to do is take care of the DTs & DEs, and Perine will off to the races. Just my opinion.

By the way, Mayock agrees with me on Tarik Cohen, which I didn't know about, until I watched Cohen's Combine highlights yesterday. When Cohen ran his 40, Mayock said he'd *never seen* another RB that could change directions as quickly as Cohen. That's high praise. To me, Cohen looks like he may be even quicker than McCoy and Sproles.

So, I stick with my original view, if the Eagles can get Mixon, Perine, and Cohen, they'd have everything they need--since each back compliments the other perfectly, to my mind.

DC had Tarik well before anyone-give the man his due

Just popped to see what was happening on the eye, Lupes posted one of my emails! I hate when he does that because a bunch of people critique me on it.... Mr Simpson, There are lots of good RB's in the draft this year. Whether or not we draft one and when is a totally different story. We desperately need 2 CB's and have the 14th pick. We will most likely never be in this position again (hopefully) so we almost have to draft one in the first round. If one of the top 2-3 are not there, we need to move back and draft one later in round 1. Now, I would think this is how the Eagles are thinking, but I could be way off base. I am tired of not having anyone that can cover on our defense. Hopefully I am not the only one...

My point is if a round 1 guy does NOT fit,is he really a round 1 for you???Draft guys that FIT-not the guy who is ranked highest.Tom Brady was a 6 pick,but BOY did he FIT!!!!

I know we like Caff and IF Davis and Williams are gone we could go there.lets no PANIC about drafting a Cb in the first,it's really senseless with this deep draft.Nice starters can be had even into late 3/early4 and frankly anything would be an improvement.De is a "must have" and I would do that by round 3.As far as RB goes,we can do many things.Tarik I would get if I could.Offers Sproles replacement talent.Unsure about Watson(on our roster) if he can do the BULL work.But really we need a 3 down back.Some say Caff is not that.I can't say one way or the other.Thats why we have PRO scouts.Just find guys that FIT,nail the first 4 picks and we should be just fine.Sure we will have additional holes to fill.I don;t know anyone who thinks we can fix this team in this draft.BUT we can make major strides.Fill/fix more than 50% of the holes and I am fine with it.But really THIS is the draft we MUST nail-period and I'm sure all involved know it

You know what would be fun? The Jets taking a QB and get the QB run going w/ Buffalo then taking one and Browns taking one w/ their 2nd pick. Posted earlier there are a handful of real game changers and if one of them drops to us we'd have to take them - BPA baby! However if one of them doesn't and we have the next few players graded about the same, need kicks in. Other than that just feel better that Douglas and crew seem to be having an affect, which gives me more confidence in this draft. You've looked at the later rds more than me. Any grinder RB's after 2nd rd?

Sucks being home w/ this back on a Fri night, climbing the walls!

Foreman would be nice. There's a few I see later on. He and Perine both weigh 233. Either would be nice. See they're both projected 4h rd. With all I've been reading sounds like they're going to go in the 3rd.

"DC had Tarik well before anyone-give the man his due"

I'd gladly to give the man his due, but I don't know who DC is? As far as I was aware, I was the first to mention Cohen on this forum several months ago (on Jan. 4th), when I suggested the Eagles should draft Cohen as Sproles' future replacement. Not that it matters. It doesn't. But I discovered Cohen on You Tube.

Would love him in Kelly green. Seen him going as high as 4th to Carolina, that would make him pretty prohibitive to move up for. They may decide to improve their protection for Cam tho, so it's possible he could fall a bit. He is the only true RB I'd think about taking in the 1st. It's pricey to move up, so you have to consider what you'll miss out on with those pick(s) we'd be giving up. There are plenty of RB's thoughout this draft - Kamara in the 2nd, Mack in the 3rd, Perine and Foreman in the 4th. Enough so it's not the end of the world if we don't take Fournette or Cook in the 1st.

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Would love him in Kelly green. Seen him going as high as 4th to Carolina, that would make him pretty prohibitive to move up for. They may decide to improve their protection for Cam tho, so it's possible he could fall a bit. He is the only true RB I'd think about taking in the 1st. It's pricey to move up, so you have to consider what you'll miss out on with those pick(s) we'd be giving up. There are plenty of RB's thoughout this draft - Kamara in the 2nd, Mack in the 3rd, Perine and Foreman in the 4th. Enough so it's not the end of the world if we don't take Fournette or Cook in the 1st.

Jags draft 4th not Carolina they draft 8th

I would really like to have Conner if he falls into the 5th.Before his bout with cancer he was a lock 1/2 rounder.Thats where I would take my RB shot.Local kid,great PR there( but there's more reason than that to take him).Is there a risk? He seems "clean" now and I'm sure contractually,there can be clauses added,but as a 5th would not hurt much even if there wasn't