Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] No 'Off' Season For Eagles Coaching Staff

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Compensatory picks should start in round 5.Just because you can't retain or have overpaid a player,or you weren't diligent enough to find out he was a locker room cancer,WHY should you get a prize for stupidity? What date do they hand out the "participation" trophies? If your FO is that moronic you should LOSE picks,not gain them.Who's stupid idea was this to begin with anyway?/Lose the compemsatory(BS) picks and just have 8 rounds of draft

I think it came about because the subpar teams always lost their guys to quality teams in free agency. I mean wouldn't you want out of Jax. And also,We have seen that some of these franchises can't even throw enough money at some of these players to get them to come there. Of coarse like any rules once you do that good teams must take advantage. Figure out the formula and plan accordingly. Everybody is playing by the same rules at least. A third rounder is too much though I agree.

9 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

CB Channing Stribling
School: Michigan

Position fit: Outside cornerback

Stats to know: QBs had a rating of 22.7 when throwing at him, the second-lowest mark in the country among CBs targeted at least 40 times. His rating-against over three years was 32.3.

What he does best:

Outstanding production in 2016; gave up completions on just 21 of 65 targets and gave up just one touchdown with 15 total passes defended.
Uses his length well to reach around receivers and break up passes.
When he’s physical at the line of scrimmage receivers struggle to separate from him in press coverage.
Locates the ball in the air extremely well; knows when to cut his man off to go for the pick, but can also play off his man’s eyes and hands to knock the ball out as it arrives.
While he lacks make-up speed, can use his height, length effectively from a trail position to shrink passing windows.

Weaknesses:
Appears high-cut (long-legged in proportion to his torso), which likely plays a part in his struggles to maintain when flipping his hips in transition.
Gets too aggressive in press coverage at times, will jump his man’s first move and leave himself vulnerable to doubles.
Weighed in at 188 at the combine; needs to add 5-10 lbs. to his wiry frame.
Player comparison: Brandon Browner

Browner at his peak was an effective cover-1 CB because of his physicality and size. Was susceptible to taking penalties because of his over-aggressiveness at times.

Bottom line: Stribling isn’t going to be drafted until Day 3 because of his athletic measurables. He needs to show the same level of physicality and awareness in the run game that he does in pass coverage. With these things being said, his height, competitiveness and ball skills at the catch point are outstanding, and extremely valuable in today’s NFL. If he adds bulk to his frame and becomes more disciplined in the run game, he can develop into a starter

I guy I like in the lower part of the draft. Say, the 4th or 5th round. Channing Stribling and Jourdan Lewis were the dynamic duo of the Michigan secondary this past year. Maybe the Eagles can pair them up again as teammates.

Toss up in 7.I'd be fine with him OR Lampkin

5 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think it came about because the subpar teams always lost their guys to quality teams in free agency. I mean wouldn't you want out of Jax. And also,We have seen that some of these franchises can't even throw enough money at some of these players to get them to come there. Of coarse like any rules once you do that good teams must take advantage. Figure out the formula and plan accordingly. Everybody is playing by the same rules at least. A third rounder is too much though I agree.

Well that's true,but hold on a minute!!!! That's why they instated salary caps-for more parity.It's like a double system'

2 hours ago, MrSimpson said:

I could obviously turn out to be wrong here, but I have some nagging doubts about whether Leonard Fournette will turn out to be an elite RB in the NFL, or not. In his college reels, Fournette is seen, more often than not, running through sizable gaps produced by his O-L, virtually untouched (which isn't the norm in the NFL). His O-L at LSU must have been first class--it looks like it. So, sure, if an NFL team with a great O-L drafts him, Fournette may turn out to be very good in the NFL (as would a lot of backs). And admittedly, he does seem to have good instincts about where to make his cuts, and is often successful running to the outside--so he's not slow. But athletically, I can't help but think he's being a bit overrated--though I'm not sure to what degree. His 28 1/2 inch vertical leap at the Combine is pathetic. I mean, that's terrible. So, is he really a great athlete? I'm perplexed by him--yes, he was a great college running back, but his athleticism seems slightly one-dimensional to me.

DeMarco Murray, who's a similar type of back (in his running style) can literally hurdle over DBs in mid-air, when he's running at full speed. In contrast, Fournette will have to run through defensive players in the NFL. I don't think he has Murray's athleticism. Fournette also liked to use a stiff arm a lot in college, and yes, he's strong, and could impressively throw DBs to the ground with one arm. But is he really going to be able to do that successfully at the NFL level? I have my doubts. At least, I can't see him being able to throw Malcolm Jenkins to the ground like that, for instance.

I realize I'm going against the tide here, and may turn out to be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if Fournette turned out to be a partial bust in the NFL, or at least not quite fulfill the very high expectations that NFL teams presently hold for him as an elite 1st round pick.

He's also going to have a huge bullseye on his forehead when he reaches the NFL.  Everyone's going to be targeting him.  And I question whether he's is a good enough athlete to overcome & triumph over all that attention?

Man you have to watch Fournette highlight reels. He hurdled guys on several occasions. Demarco Murray isn't half the athlete Fournette is. Murray is just good at getting positive yardage consistently. And Fournette's stiff arms are lethal. He slammed that one S on his back so hard with a stiff arm the guy most likely suffered a concussion...he realized once he got his wind back.  You have to be careful with combine numbers and such. I think Fournette wanted to come in and get that weigh in a little heavy. Always knowing he could lose weight and run another 40 at his Pro Day. Which he did. Showed up to his Pro Day much lighter.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Man you have to watch Fournette highlight reels. He hurdled guys on several occasions. Demarco Murray isn't half the athlete Fournette is. Murray is just good at getting positive yardage consistently. And Fournette's stiff arms are lethal. He slammed that one S on his back so hard with a stiff arm the guy most likely suffered a concussion...he realized once he got his wind back.  You have to be careful with combine numbers and such. I think Fournette wanted to come in and get that weigh in a little heavy. Always knowing he could lose weight and run another 40 at his Pro Day. Which he did. Showed up to his Pro Day much lighter.

Won't be there at 14-book it,and foolish to move up for him

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Won't be there at 14-book it,and foolish to move up for him

If Jags let him go at 4,they are dumber than dumb

Also you have to realize LSU had no passing game. They relied on defense and Fournette(offense and return). So he was facing a stacked box every week. And the SEC has the best defenses. If he had a QB to take pressure off him or got to run against Big 12 defense all the time his stats would be staggering. Still his college career was always just a stepping stone. Fournette will be known for his play on Sundays....not Sat.

Conner very good RB should be a round 2/3 lock at least.Tough to tackle.Philly drafting a local goes a long way for the PR group AND may make him work harder.You knows it's always tougher performing in front of your friends eh???(As a former musician I am well aware of that) IMO that's a win/win for everyone

Conner very good RB should be a round 2/3 lock at least.Tough to tackle.Philly drafting a local goes a long way for the PR group AND may make him work harder.You knows it's always tougher performing in front of your friends eh???(As a former musician I am well aware of that) IMO that's a win/win for everyone

Just sayin................

12 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well that's true,but hold on a minute!!!! That's why they instated salary caps-for more parity.It's like a double system'

But who has all that unspent cash? You can have a salary cap but that doesn't make free agents come to your city. I think the Browns and Oak even had to overpay some guys just to make the minimum(salary floor).

36 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

But who has all that unspent cash? You can have a salary cap but that doesn't make free agents come to your city. I think the Browns and Oak even had to overpay some guys just to make the minimum(salary floor).

Players will go with the money most times.If' it's close they will choose whom they like.FA's are former draftees,so it balances out if your FO knows WTH it's doing(and drafting)

36 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Another stupid move-force teams to overpay because everyone else spent money.That's like me forcing you to buy a Ferrari because your neighbor bought a Porsche

FL I believe that's also the logic behind franchise tags.

"Iffy" on that point.You signed a contract.that contract(as any) lastst a certain duration.When the contract concludes you re-sign one,or go elsewhere.But I see some validity to it in other ways

23 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

FL I believe that's also the logic behind franchise tags.

"Iffy" on that point.You signed a contract.that contract(as any) lastst a certain duration.When the contract concludes you re-sign one,or go elsewhere.But I see some validity to it in other ways

Let's just say personally I don;t like how's it's set up(but I'm no pro lol)

24 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:
  40 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Another stupid move-force teams to overpay because everyone else spent money.That's like me forcing you to buy a Ferrari because your neighbor bought a Porsche

Or more to the point,pay Ferrari money for a Malibu lol

So I'm flipping between The Masters and Florida St Spring game and I came to this conclusion: I'd rather watch a college spring game than the Pro Bowl. Not even close...which is sad considering the star power of the Pro Bowl.

So I'm flipping between The Masters and Florida St Spring game and I came to this conclusion: I'd rather watch a college spring game than the Pro Bowl. Not even close...which is sad considering the star power of the Pro Bowl.

HAHA well TRUE fans will watch anything during this dang LULL!!! Round 1 should be in March,rounds 2,3 a week later,Round3 4,5,6,7,8 over 2 days 2 weeks later.At least that would toss a crumb to the awaiting fans(yes round 8 and forget the BS compensatory stuff)

Also you have to realize LSU had no passing game. They relied on defense and Fournette(offense and return). So he was facing a stacked box every week. And the SEC has the best defenses. If he had a QB to take pressure off him or got to run against Big 12 defense all the time his stats would be staggering. Still his college career was always just a stepping stone. Fournette will be known for his play on Sundays....not Sat.

Oh Travin Dural was chopped liver? lol

41 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Oh Travin Dural was chopped liver? lol

DuPree also

You're not getting Fournette-let it GOOOOO lol

Maximizing Draft Value by Position
By Nick Citrone (@pyrollamas)

QUICK TAKEAWAYS
Quarterbacks need should be addressed in the first round, teams trying their luck with late round QBs rarely find success.
Offensive linemen offer superior value in all rounds of the draft.
Linebackers & running backs are best value on Day 2 (Rounds 2 and 3).
Teams seeking depth at Defensive Line or Defensive End are better off waiting till Day 3.
Despite the recent surge in Star Wideouts, WRs offer less relative value than other positions
The next 30 days will feature hundreds of mock drafts, player rankings, film study and roster analysis. Experts and fans alike will hypothesize about how best to fill each teams needs and who should go where. Which QB is best? What are the top needs of each team? Which players are being underrated or overrated? These are important questions that will be debated and written about at length.
One question often overlooked, however, is where in the draft is it best to draft each position? Using historical NFL Draft data and simple statistical methods, we can work to answer this question and gain insight on maximizing draft value.

DATA SOURCES
The idea is simple: identify trends in the NFL Draft by plotting expected value added by position with each pick in the draft. To do this, I constructed a data set consisting of all 3820 draft picks made between 1999 and 2013, with information on pick number, position, length of NFL career and Pro Football Reference’s Career Approximate Value.

ROUND 1: QUARTERBACKS
QBs have a very high relative value early in the draft, but it quickly decays; drafting a quarterback after the second round is typically a negative value decision (comparing to the average draft pick AV for all positions). Part of the reason this is true is that only 32 players can start at QB at a time, while there is more need for rotational players at other positions. Players that never get to play have zero AV per season, and so many late round QBs ultimately provide no value to that team that drafted them.Quarterbacks seem to bust at a higher rate than other positions taken early in the draft, but this risk is offset by the immense value good QB play adds to an NFL offense. Drafting quarterbacks in the first round brings the highest of highs or the lowest of lows, but as cruel as some teams seem to have it, the balance is favorable. Teams needing improvement at the QB position should stop dreaming and draft an early round prospect, while remaining cautious of dry QB classes.

ROUND 2: LINEBACKERS & RUNNING BACKS
Despite the increasing amount of running back by committee (RBBC) in the NFL today, running backs taken early in the draft actually add a lot of value to NFL teams. First round RB Todd Gurley was Rookie of the Year in 2015. Running backs taken after the fourth round tend to add about the same value as other positions.

Linebackers provide good relative value no matter the round drafted, but the advantage is largest in round two. The pattern for linebackers is very similar to the pattern for running backs, except their value holds up better late in the draft.

ROUNDS 3-4: OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
Offensive linemen add more value on average when drafted than any other position. This advantage peaks in rounds three and four, drafting an offensive linemen in the third round gives you about the same value as adding a player of a different position one round earlier. On average a linemen drafted 80th overall will add the same value to an NFL team as a player of a different position drafted 50th. Good offensive line play is incredibly important to NFL success, which is why teams are lucky offensive linemen succeed at a higher rate than other positions.

ROUNDS 5-6: DEFENSIVE LINEMEN & DEFENSIVE ENDS
Defensive line talent in the NFL Draft has a lower peak than most positions, but it decays at a slower rate, and in the 5th & 6th rounds defensive linemen provide very strong relative value. Teams looking to shore up defensive line or defensive end depth should focus on other needs first and enjoy the depth at the position. The depth does eventually empty, however, as drafting a defensive lineman in the seventh round is actually a low-value proposition.

ROUND 7: PUNTERS & THE DEFENSIVE BACKS LOTTERY
Defensive Backs begin as a low relative value pick but the position plateaus after the fourth round, which makes them very appealing as the draft winds to a close. Defensive Backs drafted at the tail end of the seventh round offer almost identical value on average to DBs drafted two full rounds earlier. Similar to WRs, starting corners should be drafted earlier, but filling depth at the corner and safety can be done on day three. Finally, punters provide the same average value no matter when drafted so later is better.

WHAT ABOUT WIDE RECEIVERS?
The data shows Wide Receivers are a below average acquisition throughout the draft, despite the recent Wide Receiver revolution of Brown, Hopkins, Beckham Jr. among others. According to the data the best time to gamble on wide receivers is at the start of the third round, where WR relative value is about equal to other positions. This is particularly surprising given how pass-oriented most NFL offenses are today.

Anyway to conclude one point Compensatory picks = corporate welfare.Should be unspent cash goes to reduce fan ticket prices OR improve stadium conditions.Cap system was instated for league parity-fine STOP there!!!