DaveSpadaro

[News] Who Makes Jump From 2016 Draft Class?

I really don't want to see Howie give in to the temptation to make a splash and move up. Just take BPA at 14. There are bound to be some surprise moves, just want all the players we can get.

3 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Jalen Mills to the outside this year. If that is true, he is going to have a learning curve in his new position. I just can't believe that one of these guys Patrick Robinson, C.J.Smith, Aaron Grymes, or Dwayne Gratz can't step up to the plate for a year to give the new CB's we draft a little bit of a learning curve. It also sounds like Ron Brooks could be our new nickel back so there is another learning curve with an experienced back.

Mills played outside last year as a rookie.....Brooks was our starting nickle back before his injury.....

12 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

DWD here is a WR less mock i tried.Should be close to yours Based on CBS rankings .1)Conley-CB-OSU 2)quincy Wilson-CB-Florida 3) DeMarcus Walker-DE-FSU 4)Ryan Glasgow-DT-Michigan 4) Xavier Woods-SS-Louisiana Tech( I know you want Jones here lol) 5) James Conner-RB-Pitt 6)Josh carraway-DE/OLB-TCU 7)Tarik Cohen-RB NC AT&T(ok I'll move him up lol) UDFA-Jehu Chesson-WR-Michigan,Travin Dural-WR-LSU(these guys ride the pine and get experienced)

I would take Nazair Jones over Ryan Glasgow. Glasgow is a run defender with not much pass rush. I could justify taking Jones at our 1st 4th rd pick too.

I could live with that,between us we might have a REAL mock HAHA,but really don't we need that run defender? Could have valid points either way

An old EMB poster sent me an email last night explaining why we not only should draft a CB in rounds 1 and 2, but that we HAVE to. His reasoning is pretty sound. For you old posters like me, his nic was CETS. Here is what he said:
2017 CB vs. 2014 WR Draft Class
Its pretty common knowledge the 2017 draft is loaded with CB talent. I've heard many people say "you can get a starting CB in the 4th round." We are about to end up with the CB version of Huff with our 3rd round pick if we don't use 2014's WR draft as an example. Use the 1st two picks on a CB and pick BPA afterwards. Here's my reasoning...
The same claims were made about the depth of the WR draft class of 2014. What happened was that more WRs were taken in the 1st two rounds that year than in years past. Nearly double. Here's a list of the WRs taken in round 1: Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Brandin Cooks and Kelvin Benjamin. Zero busts (100% "hit" rate). Round 2: Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams, Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry with many busts (Marqise Lee, Paul Richardson and Cody Latimer). That a 57% hit rate. 3rd Round: John Brown (as a stretch). Misses are Josh Huff and Donte Moncrief. Hit rate of a shaky 33%. I counted Brown, but if we end up with the equivalent CB as John Brown starting for us we're in trouble. 4th round: Martavis Bryan is the only honorable mention in the 4th. He's typically too high to prove just how great he is, but we'll give him credit anyway. The other 4 WRs taken in that round can be considered busts. That's 20% hit rate if you give Bryant a clean drug test. Beyond the 4th round nobody expects starters.
If the CB class of 2017 lives up to the WR class of 2014 they will be historic. There were 3 WRs (counting Quincy Enunwa (taken in the 6th)) out of 18 in the 3rd through 7th rounds worth talking about. Considering the Eagle's current administration didn't know Eric Rowe was worth a roster spot do you really think they'll find the diamond in the rough out of late rounds?
The Reach: All of the experts have slotted where most players will go. If you take a player after that its a steal and earlier, its a reach. If you are in need of two starting WRs during the year of the WR draft (2014) and you pick in the middle (14th) you would have had to reach to get Cooks or Benjamin. Based off of how they drafted that year you would have been forced to reach again for Adams, Latimer, Robinson or Landry. Unless you picked Latimer you would have two starting WRs. You would also still have your 3rd round pick to pick anybody you like.
Instead we took the "BPA", Marcus Smith, and only halfway took advantage of the WR class of the decade. Resulting in Matthews and Huff. You're worried about a reach!!! Try drafting a starting CB in another year's draft when you don't pick in the top 10. You will be packaging a set of picks to get what we could "reach" for with 2017's pick 14. Pick wisely my friends.

At this point I have CB,CB,DE.I was hung up on Davis,but the closer this gets,the further away that option seems.Also seems I forgot the Raven could use a new top gun WR and if all we have to choose from is ROSS(no thank you) then it seems pretty clear to me

Conley at 14,Quincy Jones in round 2(even if you need a slight move up then grab a guy to help out those rooks in DE DeMarcus Walker

8 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Good Morning Stine, I don't believe it is a reach drafting CB's in rounds one and two. My definition of a reach is expecting both those picks to be in the starting lineup from the beginning of the year and being able to play well. The CB position is the second most difficult position to play in the NFL. Anyone of the guys we could possibly draft didn't start in their first year of college yet they were stars at their high schools. They sat out a year to learn. Then they were worked into the lineup during there sophomore years to get some on field experience. By their junior years they were ready to go as a starter. Some of these guys started for two years and others came out in the draft after only starting for one year. The leap from the college game to the NFL is almost as great as the leap from high school to college yet most of the fans would expect these two new CB's we draft to be on the field right away because of how high they were taken in the draft. I have read that the Eagles are considering moving Jalen Mills to the outside this year. If that is true, he is going to have a learning curve in his new position. I just can't believe that one of these guys Patrick Robinson, C.J.Smith, Aaron Grymes, or Dwayne Gratz can't step up to the plate for a year to give the new CB's we draft a little bit of a learning curve. It also sounds like Ron Brooks could be our new nickel back so there is another learning curve with an experienced back. The fans want to compete this year and rightfully so. They brought back Jason Peters and his salary for just that purpose but it is unrealistic to believe that the Eagles will compete to a high degree with two rookie CB's in the starting lineup, know matter how high they are drafted.

Also I am not worried about the growing pains that will come with rooks why I am fine starting them.....Our secondary honestly can not get much worse then it has been over the last few years we have consistently been near the bottom(few times rated the worst).....I also always felt the quickest way for a player to learn was to be in the game and play....Also I believe the biggest thing the Eagles have going for them with going young at CBs is the 2 vet S......I mean if we had a vet on one side he can't really aid the rook on the opposite side of the field 

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Quincy Jones

hmmmmmmm u mean Quincy Wilson CB Florida round 2 lol 

What is a "Reach" and who makes that decision? I mean, if your head of the scouting department has Conley ranked 10th on his board and the consensus has him ranked 33rd, does that make him a reach? I really do not get that reasoning to be honest. What I consider a reach, may be the BPA for someone else. As far as who the Eagles take at 14, I prefer they grab best CB on the board. We need to stop the bleeding at that position and we can this year. We may not be able to next year. CETS brought up the point that we may need to trade down next year to do so, so why not take care of it now?

Well JMO but I define a reach as a sub standard player at his positional rank simply because you have a dire hole to fill-in a nutshell thats what I use.NOW the question is WHO decides who is substandard? That would be the scouting dept lol

13 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

I will take Conley/Jones 

I like Jones was high on him before injury was more think starting duo this year lol....Would not complain if we got Jones though would have to wait on him 

DWD and I agree(very weird lol) but yep Conley/Quincy are my top 2 also

9 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Jalen Mills to the outside this year. If that is true, he is going to have a learning curve in his new position. I just can't believe that one of these guys Patrick Robinson, C.J.Smith, Aaron Grymes, or Dwayne Gratz can't step up to the plate for a year to give the new CB's we draft a little bit of a learning curve. It also sounds like Ron Brooks could be our new nickel back so there is another learning curve with an experienced back.

Mills played outside last year as a rookie.....Brooks was our starting nickle back before his injury.....

Yes I forgot that Brooks started off the season at nickle back. I could have sworn that Mills played both spots last year. Maybe I'm incorrect. I read an article that stated that the Eagles only wanted him on the outside this year.

Just now, 1wrangler said:

Yes I forgot that Brooks started off the season at nickle back. I could have sworn that Mills played both spots last year. Maybe I'm incorrect. I read an article that stated that the Eagles only wanted him on the outside this year.

Mills might have seen snaps inside but we were depleted in the secondary so would not shock me why we started to drop Jenkins into the slot last year we didn't have bodies 

WR I have not heard anyone on here talk about is the guy from WVU Shelton Gibson.....Don't know a ton about him but the Eagles have had interest in him....Has blazing speed think he avg. something 22 plus yards a catch which is insane during his college career.....Not huge but not small either decent size at 5'11 190 

KD Cannon-Baylor-very overlooked if he falls into UDFA I'd sign him in aheart beat(should get drafted late with a PICK IMO)

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

what I am confused do you want Quincy Wilson CB Florida or Sidney Jones CB Washington lol 

or is it either one lol 

18 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

The way I see it, there are only a few real game changers at the top of this draft. In all likelihood the Eagles will not be interested in QB, S. Depending on where those go one of these guys could drop to us, making the decision at 14 better although more difficult.

I for one believe this team was a playoff contender last yr - injuries, suspension, lack of depth, some of the worst WR play I've ever seen and a few other variables. We're already in better shape, so are the gnats w/ the boys and skins falling. Currently evaluating this Eagles team, our order of immediate weaknesses start at CB, followed very closely by RB. These weaknesses are the most glaring as we cannot field a team this season and expect to win games vs the better ranked teams.

Said that last bit for better understanding as to why I would discount ( not eliminate ) WR at 14 - it is not an immediate need. Sure, Alshon is on a 1 yr deal. He's here now on a 1 yr deal, therefore a lot of incentive to play well. We also have 1st dibs on resigning and worst case scenario franchising - which we don't normally do. In taking WR out of the "game changer pool", we're left w/ ( in no specific order ) DE, RB, LB and CB, the pool out of which should one drop to us at 14 we'd have to take. If however one should not and the remaining players are similarly ranked, the tiebreaker falls to need.

Eagles have shown interest in a few S and considering the way we like to drop S getting a 3rd could make a ton of sense......I would not rule out us taking a guy like Adams or Hooker if they fell to us might not be received well by fans though.....

ok combining mine and DWD's mock we both can live with 1)Conley 2) Quincy Jones 3) DeMarcus Walker 4) Nazir Jones 4)Xavier Woods-SS James Conner-RB 6)Josh Carraway-DE/OLB 7-Tarik Cohen-RB I like this one!!! UDFA-Kd Cannon(if there) If not Jehu Chesson-WR,travin Dural-WR

19 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Good Morning Stine, I don't believe it is a reach drafting CB's in rounds one and two. My definition of a reach is expecting both those picks to be in the starting lineup from the beginning of the year and being able to play well. The CB position is the second most difficult position to play in the NFL. Anyone of the guys we could possibly draft didn't start in their first year of college yet they were stars at their high schools. They sat out a year to learn. Then they were worked into the lineup during there sophomore years to get some on field experience. By their junior years they were ready to go as a starter. Some of these guys started for two years and others came out in the draft after only starting for one year. The leap from the college game to the NFL is almost as great as the leap from high school to college yet most of the fans would expect these two new CB's we draft to be on the field right away because of how high they were taken in the draft. I have read that the Eagles are considering moving Jalen Mills to the outside this year. If that is true, he is going to have a learning curve in his new position. I just can't believe that one of these guys Patrick Robinson, C.J.Smith, Aaron Grymes, or Dwayne Gratz can't step up to the plate for a year to give the new CB's we draft a little bit of a learning curve. It also sounds like Ron Brooks could be our new nickel back so there is another learning curve with an experienced back. The fans want to compete this year and rightfully so. They brought back Jason Peters and his salary for just that purpose but it is unrealistic to believe that the Eagles will compete to a high degree with two rookie CB's in the starting lineup, know matter how high they are drafted.

Also I am not worried about the growing pains that will come with rooks why I am fine starting them.....Our secondary honestly can not get much worse then it has been over the last few years we have consistently been near the bottom(few times rated the worst).....I also always felt the quickest way for a player to learn was to be in the game and play....Also I believe the biggest thing the Eagles have going for them with going young at CBs is the 2 vet S......I mean if we had a vet on one side he can't really aid the rook on the opposite side of the field 

Tell me that if the Eagles are out of the playoff hunt with 7 or 8 games to go until the season is over. I think I know the Eagles fans pretty well. They will be hostile by mid season if the team is playing well otherwise but getting hammered because of the two new rookie CB's in the starting lineup. I can hear the comments already. If you are going to start two new rookie's at the position then why bring Peters back? The reason they are bringing him back is to compete this year and not for last place.

14 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:
  26 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Tell me that if the Eagles are out of the playoff hunt with 7 or 8 games to go until the season is over. I think I know the Eagles fans pretty well. They will be hostile by mid season if the team is playing well otherwise but getting hammered because of the two new rookie CB's in the starting lineup. I can hear the comments already. If you are going to start two new rookie's at the position then why bring Peters back? The reason they are bringing him back is to compete this year and not for last place.

2 rooks=growing pains=STILL better than what we had lol

Just now, 1wrangler said:

I am committed to the rebuild man lol most fans will be hostile regardless.....But here is the thing with rookies they generally get better so if we stay in the hunt by mid/late season those rooks could just be hitting there stride and doesn't matter if we get in as a 6th seed or a 1st seed the hot team is generally the team that makes the runs.....

One of the biggest questions now is do we complete the cycle for Carson and draft an RB at 14 or take best CB available at 14? Lot depends who falls to us and how we have those positions and players ranked. Can't leave DE out either but IMO CB and RB are screaming priorities at 14. That being said, if somebody like Foster is still there, I'd take him.

14 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Wrang also why I opt for Walker-DE and Woods-SS help out those rook corners(yeah with more rooks,but we let this go WAY toooooo long)

10 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

ok combining mine and DWD's mock we both can live with 1)Conley 2) Quincy Jones 3) DeMarcus Walker 4) Nazir Jones 4)Xavier Woods-SS James Conner-RB 6)Josh Carraway-DE/OLB 7-Tarik Cohen-RB I like this one!!! UDFA-Kd Cannon(if there) If not Jehu Chesson-WR,travin Dural-WR

So again who is the #2 pick for us?????? Is it Wilson or Jones????? 

9 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

what I am confused do you want Quincy Wilson CB Florida or Sidney Jones CB Washington lol 

or is it either one lol 

Wilson,gotta be able to START,we can't rely on "I SHOULD play" Depends on our scouts and his medical outlook.Wilson really seems a better fit than Conley,but I'll take them both

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Wilson,gotta be able to START,we can't rely on "I SHOULD play" Depends on our scouts and his medical outlook.Wilson really seems a better fit than Conley,but I'll take them both

OK now I got it man the Quincy Jones was really throwing me off lol I was confused 

15 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Quincy Jones

hmmmmmmm u mean Quincy Wilson CB Florida round 2 lol 

yes,Wilson lmao Sorry coffee has not hit yet HAHA

SOOOO to clarify(and I will concentrate this time 1) Gareon Conley-CB-OSU 2) Quincy Wilson-CB-Florida 3) Demarcus Walker-DE-FSU 4) Nazair Jones-DT-NC 4) Xavier Woods-SS-Louisiana Tech 5) James Conner-RB-Pitt 6) Josh Carraway-DE/OLB-TCU 7)Tarik Cohen-RB(Sproles replacement)-NC ATT&T

Okay I might as well weigh in too. Give me two of these three CB's. Wilson, Conley, or Jones. I happen to believe that only one rookie CB will start this year. If the Eagles end up with Jones as one of their picks they can let him heal properly before getting him on the field. I also believe that one of our current CB's will step up to the plate. I really would like to see Aaron Grymes or C. J. Smith compete with Brooks for the nickle back position however I don't know if the Eagles are even looking at them in that capacity.