Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Who Makes Jump From 2016 Draft Class?

They'd be foolish not to take Garrett at 1 and QB at 12. Then again - it's the Browns. They have a lot of picks over the next 2 drafts and Garrett is the type of player that doesn't come along very often.

GBFL and downwithdallas,
Thanks for the encouragement. I just don't watch much college football to provide even an intelligent mock. I like Christian McCaffey or Dalvin Cook just fine; many mocks on NFL Network have one of them going to the Eagles at 14. The Eagles have a lot of needs, so I would stick with BPA for round 1 and then try to find some starting CBs in round 2 and 3. I like all of the big names of DBs that I have watched film on though. Peppers is a football player! Hooker is as well. Both are listed as Safeties, but the film on them is DISRUPTIVE.
Rumor is starting to circulate that the Browns are considering taking the North Carolina QB at #1. wow! I wouldn't put my job on the line for him. Nothing personal against him, but I don't see enough experience to know if he is a potential franchise QB or just a 4th round backup that a desperate team took at #1.

Well I posted my mock with CB,Cb 1,2 adding a DE to help them out and my Woods at SS pick will also help them.Don;t see us going RB or WR in1

I agree that the Eagles need to abandon picking a WR in the first, second, & third rounds. They made some strong moves at WR in FA, and now its time to focus elsewhere, particularly at CB & RB--which are their most pressing needs. (Also, coach Mike Groh may be able to make something special of one of our past ball droppers, & Paul Turner or Rasheed Bailey.) IMO, they have no choice but to focus largely on defense in this year's draft. Plus, I think there are some excellent WR prospects that will go later in the draft: such as K.D. Cannon, the all but forgotten Damore'ea Stringfellow (who unfortunately has off field issues), Amara Darboh, Ardarius Stewart, Keevan Lucas, Carlos Henderson, and maybe even the two speedsters Kermit Whitfield & Victor Boldin, Jr. in the 7th round? (or the potentially un-drafted Trey Griffey or Rodney Adams?), etc.

Besides, don't forget, arguably the #1 WR in this year's draft was going to be Courtland Sutton, before he decided to stay in college another year. So IMO the focus should be *all* on Courtland Sutton *next year*, as much as I like Corey Davis, Mike Williams, and several others. Next year, the Eagles should to do *whatever it takes* to get Courtland Sutton. (& the thought of putting Sutton together with coach Groh is an exciting one.)

I also agree with Malcolm Jenkins, and others, that the Eagles have *no choice* but to take CBs in rounds one and two.  Stine made an excellent point below--can we really trust an organization that didn't even see the starting value of CB Eric Rowe (or ask themselves why a coach of Belichick's stature wanted Rowe)--on a team that was extremely weak at CB--to be able to identify the best hidden CB prospects in the mid to late rounds of this year's draft? (of which there will no doubt be several). I think that may be expecting too much of this organization. As Jenkins said, the top CB prospects are going to get heavily picked over in the first two rounds (with lots of teams very eager to pick up a CB from this year's promising class), and therefore, the Eagles *must* also be there picking in the first two rounds; otherwise they could end up with insufficient talent, and they simply can't afford to lose out, not with this year's CB class--since the Eagles not only desperately need two starters, but also added depth. Of course, with that said, if they do follow Jenkins' advice, we can only hope they'll be able to choose wisely in what will likely be a 'turkey shoot' on CBs in the first two rounds.

Yet, if the Eagles do decide to go in this direction, it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to use their #14 pick to get a CB. Not when they can trade back to somewhere in the 20s and still pick up one of the top CB prospects there. Therefore, if they can make a deal to get an extra 2nd (or 3rd) round pick in this year's draft by trading back (and if need be, give up one of the players they're already looking to trade), I think they should do so. That way they could get a non-CB in round 2 (or 3)--such as RB Joe Mixon, LB T.J. Watt, RB Samaje Perine, DE/OLB Demarcus Walker, etc., and still be able to pick up two of the very best CB prospects in the draft--some combination of K. King, Humphrey, Awuzie, Jackson, J. Lewis, Moreau, Jones, etc. That's a solid move, IMO, maybe not a great move, but good moves shouldn't be underrated here, not with this team's many weaknesses.

It's nice to see a bunch of players on my mock getting touted here. Yes, I'm all on board for drafting two of the top CBs, DE/OLB DeMarcus Walker, RB Samaje Perine, RB Tarik Cohen, CB Ashton Lampkin, S Xavier Woods, WR K.D. Cannon, and possibly RB James Conner & DT Nazair Jones too, if need be. I hope the Eagles are too. I also like LB Jaylen-Reeves Maybin in the late rounds as well. Though I'm not as high on CB Gareon Conley as others are, since I think the Eagles can do better.

Mr Simpson, you forget that next year's crop of WR's is much better than this one......

To add on to Stine, the QB class is better next yr as well. Some of the teams picking before us decide to forego choosing a QB, waiting until next yr, meaning they could choose players we'd like to drop to us.

Stine--I realize that--which is why I suggested they wait for Courtland Sutton next year, who will likely be one of the best WRs in that draft.  But, just curious, do you you think there's a better WR prospect than Sutton next year?  

Even though I like Corey Davis, I have no problem with the Eagles *not* taking a WR in this year's draft.  As mentioned, they have too many other pressing needs right now.  & I would assume (& hope) that's partly why Roseman & co. focused so heavily on WR in FA--other than the obvious reasons (the poor past performances of Agholor & Green-Beckham).

Plus, I've said it before, Corey Davis may possibly be damaged goods now.  Is he working out for teams yet?  He said he would be back & doing so in April, and it's now the 13th, with less than two weeks until the draft.  I hope he's okay, but until Davis emphatically proves his unnecessary surgery went without a hitch, I see him as a potential risk.

Round one LB Rueben Foster, Round two CB Adoree Jackson, Round three RB Jeremy McNichols. So says Jeff Kerr from ESPN.

I am not even going to pretend I know who is going to be better than who next season in College at WR. All I know is most are saying the crop is going to be a good one. I am out all. You all have a Great Easter!! MJK, good luck on your procedure!! Take care all .....

If we don't get an immediate starting CB in the draft we either - 1) Suck at CB again this yr, meaning wasting everything the rest of the team is doing, or 2) wait for CB's cast off from teams who draft a starting CB and hope we can at least sign yet another band-aid. The only way I can deal with watching another season of scoring points but not being able to stop other teams due to bad CB play, is if we get a game changer/ future Pro Bowler with the pick instead. Teams in the NFL are avoiding the pass rush by getting the ball out fast. W/o D we don't win, period. Brooks may be able to play and he's the Nickel. Fielding Mills and Robinson doesn't exactly boost my confidence, neither does putting the success of the team in hoping Grymes, Smith or Gratz make the grade.

Not the way for us to win the division, but Eli could be suspended if convicted of this memorabilia suit.

Also of interest is Kempski writing 8 teams who pick before us need a QB, 3 pretty desperately. Some will say the QB's aren't 1st rd worthy, others differ and understand how valuable that 5th yr option is. My feeling is 2 QB's will be taken before our pick. Also thankful for all the movement to get Wentz last yr and then getting most of the picks back. Kudos to the FO.

Have a fav new gadget

https://www.amazon.com/CPR-V5000-Call-Blocker-Robocalls/dp/B0191XMBV2/ref=pd_sim_229_4/132-0720321-8532615?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0191XMBV2&pd_rd_r=91CTQBFNYZHGB6CA12H5&pd_rd_w=KMGal&pd_rd_wg=XefDJ&psc=1&refRID=91CTQBFNYZHGB6CA12H5

Since my back went out been home a lot. These robo and scam calls were driving me nuts! Well nuttier. Haven't heard "Rachel from card services" in a week. Don't even miss her.

9 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Like Jones a lot as well. However we'd need to spend pick 43 on him - would you?

In a heart beat

8 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

SOOOO to clarify(and I will concentrate this time 1) Gareon Conley-CB-OSU 2) Quincy Wilson-CB-Florida 3) Demarcus Walker-DE-FSU 4) Nazair Jones-DT-NC 4) Xavier Woods-SS-Louisiana Tech 5) James Conner-RB-Pitt 6) Josh Carraway-DE/OLB-TCU 7)Tarik Cohen-RB(Sproles replacement)-NC ATT&T

I could settle for this would rather have Sidney Jones then Quincy Wilson but not a bad mock at all

I like Humphrey, the knock on him has been sloppy footwork and ball tracking. so he gave up big plays. The guy is only 20 and his issues can be coached up. He has size, speed, physicality, long arms, blocks, tackles, good timing, leaping ability, started EVERY game in college, great on special teams, and great bloodlines. His ceiling is higher than any corner in this draft, a future lockdown.

Humphrey just can't cover deep, gets beaten pretty easily. A good athlete in college, but good athletes get beat in the NFL. Conley had the best passer rating in the nation. All that said, seems Schwartz has a thing for Tra'davius. Even with all that said and CB easily being our biggest need, if a player like Barnett, Foster, or Thomas should fall to us, the choice gets a lot tougher. I like Barnett. Anyone who can beat Reggie Whites' records is bound for greatness. Foster prolly won't fall to us, really like him on the edge where we still need help.

Conley is good as well. Physical, I like that. Tre Davious isn't physical at all and I don't think he fits Schwartz scheme at all. Not my decision to make anyways I guess. If Barnett were to fall to eagles you can never have enough good d linemen. Humphrey bests Conley as a tackler, and on film Conley is also beat deep several times because he is late to turn his head and locate, which I don't think is something you can coach up. Advantage Humphrey.

2 hours ago, SackDakSunday said:

I like Humphrey, the knock on him has been sloppy footwork and ball tracking. so he gave up big plays. The guy is only 20 and his issues can be coached up. He has size, speed, physicality, long arms, blocks, tackles, good timing, leaping ability, started EVERY game in college, great on special teams, and great bloodlines. His ceiling is higher than any corner in this draft, a future lockdown.

Have the Eagles ever been able to coach up CB's not to give up plays lol if a player doesn't have it he doesn't have it.

Conley is good as well. Physical, I like that. Tre Davious isn't physical at all and I don't think he fits Schwartz scheme at all. Not my decision to make anyways I guess. If Barnett were to fall to eagles you can never have enough good d linemen. Humphrey bests Conley as a tackler, and on film Conley is also beat deep several times because he is late to turn his head and locate, which I don't think is something you can coach up. Advantage Humphrey.

Wilson is as good a tackler as Humphrey and he gets his head turned around in coverage plus he is good in man to man coverage.

Stine--I realize that--which is why I suggested they wait for Courtland Sutton next year, who will likely be one of the best WRs in that draft.  But, just curious, do you you think there's a better WR prospect than Sutton next year?  

Even though I like Corey Davis, I have no problem with the Eagles *not* taking a WR in this year's draft.  As mentioned, they have too many other pressing needs right now.  & I would assume (& hope) that's partly why Roseman & co. focused so heavily on WR in FA--other than the obvious reasons (the poor past performances of Agholor & Green-Beckham).

Plus, I've said it before, Corey Davis may possibly be damaged goods now.  Is he working out for teams yet?  He said he would be back & doing so in April, and it's now the 13th, with less than two weeks until the draft.  I hope he's okay, but until Davis emphatically proves his unnecessary surgery went without a hitch, I see him as a potential risk.

If we do well this year,that would cut him out(Sutton) since hopefully we do well,but hurts our draft position;so to get him you are looking at a major move UP and I don't see us even having a shot at him.Can't plan that far ahead,you need to take what is offered when it is offered.if we pick from say the mid 20's and Sutton goes high ar you certain you want to give that many picks away? Besides Chesson and Dural(UDFA) another guy I like who is underrated is Stacey Coley from Miami

22 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Like Jones a lot as well. However we'd need to spend pick 43 on him - would you?

In a heart beat

21 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

SOOOO to clarify(and I will concentrate this time 1) Gareon Conley-CB-OSU 2) Quincy Wilson-CB-Florida 3) Demarcus Walker-DE-FSU 4) Nazair Jones-DT-NC 4) Xavier Woods-SS-Louisiana Tech 5) James Conner-RB-Pitt 6) Josh Carraway-DE/OLB-TCU 7)Tarik Cohen-RB(Sproles replacement)-NC ATT&T

I could settle for this would rather have Sidney Jones then Quincy Wilson but not a bad mock at all

I too would like to have both Wilson and Jones as our two new QB's as they both fit into the Eagles defensive scheme better than any other CB's. Now the question is this. Which one of these guys will be there in the second round? Is Wilson worthy of the 14th pick if you think that Jones will be there at pick 43? Should Jones be picked at 14 first even with his injury because he was worthy of the 14th pick when he was healthy? Tough to figure out which one of these individuals will be there if any in the second round. Conley could be there as a fall back option in the second. I'll take it one step further. If the Eagles could get Wilson and Jones in rounds one and two and take the best Nickle back in the draft Jourdan Lewis in the third they would be set for a very long time. Lewis probably won't be there in round three and especially at pick 99 but he is small in stature and was just charged in a domestic violence case so you never know.

22 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

In a heart beat

21 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Just Jones health concerns bother me.Like him,but no matter how good you are,you are useless riding pine lol

So why can't we "coach up" the guys we have??? teach them to LOOK back.JFC I can teach them that in 20 mins-READ your receivers eyes then you KNOW when to turn.We miss alot of pick ops cause we don't do that

Interesting FA CB. Article also mentions we have $6.6 mill of "cap flexibility"

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/04/eagles_should_consider_signing_rutgers_alum_jason.html#incart_river_index

We have enough "veterans" how about getting a guy that can PLAY????