Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Who Makes Jump From 2016 Draft Class?

12 hours ago, SackDakSunday said:

I like Humphrey, the knock on him has been sloppy footwork and ball tracking. so he gave up big plays. The guy is only 20 and his issues can be coached up. He has size, speed, physicality, long arms, blocks, tackles, good timing, leaping ability, started EVERY game in college, great on special teams, and great bloodlines. His ceiling is higher than any corner in this draft, a future lockdown.

Have the Eagles ever been able to coach up CB's not to give up plays lol if a player doesn't have it he doesn't have it.

The jury is still out for me on Cory Undlin as our receivers coach. I know a lot of fans like him but I am still sitting on the fence with him. We have had Tim Hauck on the team for a year as the safeties coach and the safeties have definitely been playing better than the CB's.

13 hours ago, downwithdallas said:
  23 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Like Jones a lot as well. However we'd need to spend pick 43 on him - would you?

In a heart beat

22 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

SOOOO to clarify(and I will concentrate this time 1) Gareon Conley-CB-OSU 2) Quincy Wilson-CB-Florida 3) Demarcus Walker-DE-FSU 4) Nazair Jones-DT-NC 4) Xavier Woods-SS-Louisiana Tech 5) James Conner-RB-Pitt 6) Josh Carraway-DE/OLB-TCU 7)Tarik Cohen-RB(Sproles replacement)-NC ATT&T

I could settle for this would rather have Sidney Jones then Quincy Wilson but not a bad mock at all

I too would like to have both Wilson and Jones as our two new QB's as they both fit into the Eagles defensive scheme better than any other CB's. Now the question is this. Which one of these guys will be there in the second round? Is Wilson worthy of the 14th pick if you think that Jones will be there at pick 43? Should Jones be picked at 14 first even with his injury because he was worthy of the 14th pick when he was healthy? Tough to figure out which one of these individuals will be there if any in the second round. Conley could be there as a fall back option in the second. I'll take it one step further. If the Eagles could get Wilson and Jones in rounds one and two and take the best Nickle back in the draft Jourdan Lewis in the third they would be set for a very long time. Lewis probably won't be there in round three and especially at pick 99 but he is small in stature and was just charged in a domestic violence case so you never know.

Although I now agree we must go CB 1,2 I spend my third on a desperately needed DE,but I DID put Woods in there at SS.If all 4 start as rooks,those positions will help the others out.So lets get these guys on the field,let them make their mistakes and gel as a unit.THEN we can talk about contending in '18

13 hours ago, downwithdallas said:
  23 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Like Jones a lot as well. However we'd need to spend pick 43 on him - would you?

In a heart beat

22 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

SOOOO to clarify(and I will concentrate this time 1) Gareon Conley-CB-OSU 2) Quincy Wilson-CB-Florida 3) Demarcus Walker-DE-FSU 4) Nazair Jones-DT-NC 4) Xavier Woods-SS-Louisiana Tech 5) James Conner-RB-Pitt 6) Josh Carraway-DE/OLB-TCU 7)Tarik Cohen-RB(Sproles replacement)-NC ATT&T

I could settle for this would rather have Sidney Jones then Quincy Wilson but not a bad mock at all

I too would like to have both Wilson and Jones as our two new QB's as they both fit into the Eagles defensive scheme better than any other CB's. Now the question is this. Which one of these guys will be there in the second round? Is Wilson worthy of the 14th pick if you think that Jones will be there at pick 43? Should Jones be picked at 14 first even with his injury because he was worthy of the 14th pick when he was healthy? Tough to figure out which one of these individuals will be there if any in the second round. Conley could be there as a fall back option in the second. I'll take it one step further. If the Eagles could get Wilson and Jones in rounds one and two and take the best Nickle back in the draft Jourdan Lewis in the third they would be set for a very long time. Lewis probably won't be there in round three and especially at pick 99 but he is small in stature and was just charged in a domestic violence case so you never know.

Just Jones health bothers me and IMO at 14 you don't take chances.That is for later rounds.What if he gets back.but is not the same player? Then you have wasted a fairly high draft pick.If I have concrete evidence and PROOF,he is the same player,then yes by all means go for it

Have a fav new gadget

https://www.amazon.com/CPR-V5000-Call-Blocker-Robocalls/dp/B0191XMBV2/ref=pd_sim_229_4/132-0720321-8532615?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0191XMBV2&pd_rd_r=91CTQBFNYZHGB6CA12H5&pd_rd_w=KMGal&pd_rd_wg=XefDJ&psc=1&refRID=91CTQBFNYZHGB6CA12H5

Since my back went out been home a lot. These robo and scam calls were driving me nuts! Well nuttier. Haven't heard "Rachel from card services" in a week. Don't even miss her.

AWWWW she said she misses you alot,so I gave her your home addy HAHAHA(JK)

13 hours ago, SackDakSunday said:

I like Humphrey, the knock on him has been sloppy footwork and ball tracking. so he gave up big plays. The guy is only 20 and his issues can be coached up. He has size, speed, physicality, long arms, blocks, tackles, good timing, leaping ability, started EVERY game in college, great on special teams, and great bloodlines. His ceiling is higher than any corner in this draft, a future lockdown.

Have the Eagles ever been able to coach up CB's not to give up plays lol if a player doesn't have it he doesn't have it.

Eagle CB never had TALENT like Humphrey does. Or had puny little non tackling cover corners.

11 hours ago, SackDakSunday said:

Conley is good as well. Physical, I like that. Tre Davious isn't physical at all and I don't think he fits Schwartz scheme at all. Not my decision to make anyways I guess. If Barnett were to fall to eagles you can never have enough good d linemen. Humphrey bests Conley as a tackler, and on film Conley is also beat deep several times because he is late to turn his head and locate, which I don't think is something you can coach up. Advantage Humphrey.

Wilson is as good a tackler as Humphrey and he gets his head turned around in coverage plus he is good in man to man coverage.

I was thinking eagles could get Wilson in the 2nd, but if not I like Wilson in the first and since no one seems to be as high on Humphrey as I am maybe get Humphrey in 2nd.

8 minutes ago, SackDakSunday said:

I was thinking eagles could get Wilson in the 2nd, but if not I like Wilson in the first and since no one seems to be as high on Humphrey as I am maybe get Humphrey in 2nd.

Wilson in the 1st is a reach I would take Conley in the 1st and Sidney Jones in the 2nd

59 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:
  11 hours ago, SackDakSunday said:

Conley is good as well. Physical, I like that. Tre Davious isn't physical at all and I don't think he fits Schwartz scheme at all. Not my decision to make anyways I guess. If Barnett were to fall to eagles you can never have enough good d linemen. Humphrey bests Conley as a tackler, and on film Conley is also beat deep several times because he is late to turn his head and locate, which I don't think is something you can coach up. Advantage Humphrey.

Wilson is as good a tackler as Humphrey and he gets his head turned around in coverage plus he is good in man to man coverage.

My evaluation of Humphrey is different than most of the fans on this site. I see him as a nickle corner or a safety at the next level. Since I see him as a nickle corner I don't value him as high. Normally nickle corners aren't taken in the first round or second round. Safety may be his best position. He is the same height and weight as Malcolm Jenkins and he is a great player in run support, blitzing and tackles for a loss behind the line of scrimmage. His weaknesses are covering the longer passing. I think his average percentage is 19 yards given up per catch.

41 minutes ago, SackDakSunday said:

Wilson in the 1st is a reach I would take Conley in the 1st and Sidney Jones in the 2nd

Agree that Wilson is a reach at 14 if you are looking at BPA. If you are looking at best player available in the need department then I don't know. I value Wilson higher than Conley myself.

Love seeing all the mocks and the reasoning behind those picks.  Love to read your banter between each other and the reasoning or rationalization given for picking the way each of you did.  Seems like so much fun for all who mock. Maybe I'll try next year just for laughs, as that is what it most likely will be in the face of the experienced mockers here. I had a discussion with an individual where I kinda disagreed with his star to mocking.  He said he just picks them according to how they are ranked.  I said if I was going to mock, I'd first try to determine the needs of the other 31 teams to see who they might possibly take if they went for need.  Then compare the rankings to those needs as to where they may fall and go from there as to who may choose who.  Since I have never mocked, am I wrong in this possible approach?

Love seeing all the mocks and the reasoning behind those picks.  Love to read your banter between each other and the reasoning or rationalization given for picking the way each of you did.  Seems like so much fun for all who mock. Maybe I'll try next year just for laughs, as that is what it most likely will be in the face of the experienced mockers here. I had a discussion with an individual where I kinda disagreed with his star to mocking.  He said he just picks them according to how they are ranked.  I said if I was going to mock, I'd first try to determine the needs of the other 31 teams to see who they might possibly take if they went for need.  Then compare the rankings to those needs as to where they may fall and go from there as to who may choose who.  Since I have never mocked, am I wrong in this possible approach?

There is no right or wrong approach. We are all amateurs. Even if you factor in everything you discussed in your comment you can be wrong because teams trade up and down in the draft so if you think you have it all figured, good luck with that. LOL

Did you guys read Greg Cosell's nuggets of draft wisdom? Nice to know that we get some of the players graded accurately. LOL

1 hour ago, SackDakSunday said:

I would to IF he can come back as the same player before his injury.that's why I selected Wilson in 2.At least we know at this point he can start if we need him too

Have at it!!! Not sure we are "experienced: beacuse after all it's ALL guesswork.Take a stab at it lol

Well 2 schools of thought here.Some want BPA regardless of need.I lean towards BPA at a pposition of need-so first you have to think about what school you are in.Some TEAMS do that also(some BPA,some BPA by need) so tough to call it

1 hour ago, downwithdallas said:
  1 hour ago, SackDakSunday said:

Agree that Wilson is a reach at 14 if you are looking at BPA. If you are looking at best player available in the need department then I don't know. I value Wilson higher than Conley myself.

Some analysts feel he is the best fit for us

Greg Cosell says if Rueben Foster is there at 14 he is taking him. He has him rated as one of the three best players in the draft. In past drafts we sort of had a template on how the Eagles would draft. This year is different with Joe Douglas at the helm. We don't know what to expect. If you look at some of the players in the top 15 and ask yourself, who is an Ozzie Newsome Ravens type player in that group of 15 players I keep coming up with Rueben Foster. My second type of Ravens player is O. J. Howard. For what its worth.

3 hours ago, SackDakSunday said:

He is a reach if you are looking for an immediate starter, which you usually are at 14. but Wilsons ceiling is also sky high and IMO worthy of that pick. Hate to say it but its Sidney Jones that I think will bust and just become one of Dez pecker gnats, always in position but not making plays, not disrupting routes, and not fighting with these WR in our division who are clearly mentally weak. although they would call themselves competitive. Eagles need someone who is gonna have these primadonnas throwing tantrums on the sidelines.

3 hours ago, SackDakSunday said:
  4 hours ago, 1wrangler said:
  14 hours ago, SackDakSunday said:

My evaluation of Humphrey is different than most of the fans on this site. I see him as a nickle corner or a safety at the next level. Since I see him as a nickle corner I don't value him as high. Normally nickle corners aren't taken in the first round or second round. Safety may be his best position. He is the same height and weight as Malcolm Jenkins and he is a great player in run support, blitzing and tackles for a loss behind the line of scrimmage. His weaknesses are covering the longer passing. I think his average percentage is 19 yards given up per catch.

I see smaller corners in the slot. I see Humphrey as a guy that can reroute WR to the perimeter and a future lockdown.

Thanks to 1wrangler and GBF for your advice.  Think I'll try next year, just for fun.  At least we all have a level playing field., lol

Dan Rooney and the Steelers are regarded as the best team in the league at drafting players over the last 50 years. I didn't know that but it makes a lot of sense as they have won the most Super Bowls as well. They keep their head coaches for long periods of time too. So what is their philosophy in rebuilding a team to compete for a Super Bowl? Bill Cowher has already stated that their formula on offensive was to build the team from the inside out. That is first, get your franchise QB, second, get the best offensive line you can put around him. Third, get the best running back you can find to help out your franchise QB, fourth, get two great Tight Ends and last, get him the wide receivers he needs to get the job done. I am still wondering what the Steelers plan is for rebuilding a defense but would really like to know how they set priorities on the defensive positions.

Greg Cosell says if Rueben Foster is there at 14 he is taking him. He has him rated as one of the three best players in the draft. In past drafts we sort of had a template on how the Eagles would draft. This year is different with Joe Douglas at the helm. We don't know what to expect. If you look at some of the players in the top 15 and ask yourself, who is an Ozzie Newsome Ravens type player in that group of 15 players I keep coming up with Rueben Foster. My second type of Ravens player is O. J. Howard. For what its worth.

I don't

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I had Quincy Wilson as my 1st pick for a long time I like him a lot but after his poor combine and pro day he dropped to a 2nd rd pick Jones was pretty much even with Wilson before the combine and he looked better there so I put him as our 1st and Wilson as our 2nd. Then Jones got hurt and if I thought at all he would last to the 3rd my draft would look a lot different. I think Jones has more upside then Wilson does. I have them rated 2 and 5 on my CB depth chart, but for press man CB I have them rated 1 and 4. Conley is ahead of Wilson in both categories though after Wilson's slide.

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I had Quincy Wilson as my 1st pick for a long time I like him a lot but after his poor combine and pro day he dropped to a 2nd rd pick Jones was pretty much even with Wilson before the combine and he looked better there so I put him as our 1st and Wilson as our 2nd. Then Jones got hurt and if I thought at all he would last to the 3rd my draft would look a lot different. I think Jones has more upside then Wilson does. I have them rated 2 and 5 on my CB depth chart, but for press man CB I have them rated 1 and 4. Conley is ahead of Wilson in both categories though after Wilson's slide.

Maybe he had a cold or something lol