Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Who Makes Jump From 2016 Draft Class?

Read a few articles ( think Kempski wrote one ) and they all seem to agree - this yr or replace. Agree on Barwin - not good in the 4-3, better on the left side which Schwartz for some reason wouldn't do.

I'll second the bad hands, that's come to an end. Some guys just aren't good enough, aren't coached well, don't get into the right scheme, etc. In the whole US there are only what, maybe 2 dozen really good NFL QB's? Same goes for every position. The key is what they're doing right now, evaluating talent both on and off the team.

See I agree with Schwartz. Don't mess up Graham. He is the key cog of the defense. Barwin was never more than a one year player for Schwartz. Hence why I think they maybe rode Barwin a little hard understanding that they would be counting on Curry more in 2017 and beyond. They needed to establish a new defense. Not coddle an aging vet.

Gave Curry another yr to learn. Have to believe coaches use everything they can to win. I liked Barwin, didn't understand him being switched to the right side and he simply isn't made for the 4-3. He's back in a 3-4 now and I wish him well. Onward. Looking forward to watching Long and Means. Don't know if McCallister has the size, maybe he pumped some iron in the OS as well.

Pretty sure we look at pass rush in the draft, OLB, DE. See if there's a game changer that drops to us in the 1st, changes how the rest of the draft goes. Funny, I listen and read to all these peeps ( professional and not ) who espouse BPA. Then they come out with a list of needs and who they should take. I like BPA for the real game changers, then it's a combination of BPA and need. There are really only a few true game changers in each draft and every team has weaknesses they could shore up in FA. If you can't get a starter at your position of need in the draft, there's the post draft discards and a few trades to come afterwards. The Eagles are already better than last yr and we'll be fine.

Pretty sure we look at pass rush in the draft, OLB, DE. See if there's a game changer that drops to us in the 1st, changes how the rest of the draft goes. Funny, I listen and read to all these peeps ( professional and not ) who espouse BPA. Then they come out with a list of needs and who they should take. I like BPA for the real game changers, then it's a combination of BPA and need. There are really only a few true game changers in each draft and every team has weaknesses they could shore up in FA. If you can't get a starter at your position of need in the draft, there's the post draft discards and a few trades to come afterwards. The Eagles are already better than last yr and we'll be fine.

MS2 was a game changer? Agholor?

Could be wabbit. Hey - it's Easter! Feel more they decided Curry wasn't ready and if he was better than Barwin last yr and Curry could help them win they would have played him more. Sure hope he spent some of the OS in the weight room and worked on his technique, need him to improve.

Been looking at late rd RB's. Don't know if Foreman and esp Perine will be avail in the 4th.

I really hate staying home on a Fri night.

I stay home every Fri night(and most others also lol)

I'm a little more understanding of the learning curve of a guy learning to beat huge mammoth NFL lineman with a pass rush than say a WR trying to learn to catch.

UH a little more to WR than that my friend.Learning curve for them includes succint route running,learning to use your hips and how to use your body to block out defenders-not so easy that

Round 3 you should be able to get DE Walker.Really(seriously) we need to address this dang secondary.We ignored this for too long.Don't see any reason we can't go 1,2 on CB's and maybe toss in a prosective BU(Griffin is one) or even snag Kazee late(although not on my mock)

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Could be wabbit. Hey - it's Easter! Feel more they decided Curry wasn't ready and if he was better than Barwin last yr and Curry could help them win they would have played him more. Sure hope he spent some of the OS in the weight room and worked on his technique, need him to improve.

Been looking at late rd RB's. Don't know if Foreman and esp Perine will be avail in the 4th.

I really hate staying home on a Fri night.

I stay home every Fri night(and most others also lol)

IMA say it again,Conner is a steal in round 5 lol

44 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

UH a little more to WR than that my friend.Learning curve for them includes succint route running,learning to use your hips and how to use your body to block out defenders-not so easy that

Agreed,Tons more to being a WR than just catching. Not catching and being a professional WR I have no patience for though. Learning the nuances of the position I have plenty of patience for.

Maybe its just teams didn't see him as fast enough, or only saw him as a 2 down LB, but Jeff Luc (a FL State transfer to Cincinnati) went undrafted and never stuck with the dolphins or bengals in camp. surprising for me. I watched Khalil Mack in high school(westwood), Joey Bosa in high school (St Thomas Aquinas) and knew instantly they were studs. I had that same feeling watching Jeff Luc in high school (treasure coast). I really think that kid needs a third look. ATTN: Eagles

Maybe its just teams didn't see him as fast enough, or only saw him as a 2 down LB, but Jeff Luc (a FL State transfer to Cincinnati) went undrafted and never stuck with the dolphins or bengals in camp. surprising for me. I watched Khalil Mack in high school(westwood), Joey Bosa in high school (St Thomas Aquinas) and knew instantly they were studs. I had that same feeling watching Jeff Luc in high school (treasure coast). I really think that kid needs a third look. ATTN: Eagles

My bad looks like the jets will have him in camp.

The price for Richard Sherman is dropping. They were dreaming with initial requests. I'd say they still are dreaming with his price. But it is going to drop some more. At what point do you pull the trigger? 

On 4/13/2017 at 8:32 AM, mjkline1958 said:

Stine - I remember CETS. Why doesn't he just post here anymore? Think I can answer that myself, everyone has their own reasons. His email is straight to the point and part of why I believe BPA is the eventual goal, but it's for a team that's good all around, not for a team like us with weaknesses - esp w/ weaknesses that have plagued us for years. Mayock wrote an article I've been unable to relocate in which he broke down the CB's by fit, taking the strengths/weaknesses, whether they play better zone, off, press etc. He also considered  team scheme and the S's. So a "deep" CB class is not as deep as we think, there are really only 1 or 2 "top" corners for us. As Humphrey gets beat deep, it leaves Conley as Lattimore will not be there. Malcom Jenkins has been promoting Conley as they both went to Ohio St, so they should have good communication right out of the gait. None of these top tier guys should be there at 43 and as we know later picks have decreased odds. I'm not advocating the Eagles absolutely have to take CB at 14. If a real game changer should drop to us, then by all means we'd have to take him. The choice is really how we value that player at 14 vs the increased probability of going into yet another season of iffy CB play.

I really like what McCaffrey could add to Pederson's scheme in the back field,but I think that if we want the 'cream of the crop' CB they need to pick the highest CB left on their board at #14. If that guy can translate into a Day 1 starter,they absolutely have to take him,especially if he's better than the majority of the CB's already on the roster. If the Eagles want to win a SB,they undoubtedly have to solidify the CB situation with young guys that will be starters on the team for several years to come! I like that the D was good last year at keeping opponents out of the EZ,but I'd much rather see them be able to shut down an O before they drive all of the way down the field and use up precious time on the clock that would be better served by having the ball in the hands of the Eagles' offense! I was thinking just like you said here- A "deep" CB class is not as deep as we think, there are really only 1 or 2 "top" corners for us.