Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Lawlor's Favorite Draft Prospects: Defense

Over the weekend, I profiled some of my favorite draft prospects on the offensive side of the ball, with a focus on players who will not be first-round selections. Now, I want to preview some defe...

View the full article

The negative about Adoree Jackson is that he may need time to develop in the NFL. At least, I'm not sure he's a viable starter in his first year. But he is an exceptional athlete, and that kind of athleticism usually, eventually asserts itself. So he could turn out to be a very good pick.

Nor can the Eagles afford to solely rely on 3rd & 4th round picks to fill their pressing need for two starting CBs this year, *and* added depth at that position. They should listen to Malcolm Jenkins, who said that the Eagles need to be actively picking CBs in rounds 1 & 2. They can't afford to lose out--not with this group of promising prospects. The most talented of which are probably Humphrey, Lattimore, K.King, Awuzie, Jackson, Lewis, Moreau, and the injured Jones, IMO. I also like Ashton Lampkin a lot in later rounds. He's tenacious and very quick & fast--exactly the kind of player Coach Schwartz likes, yes?  As for Cam Sutton, to me, he only looks like an average athlete in the "Meet the Prospect" films.

But I strongly agree that Demarcus Walker is being "a bit overlooked". He's a dynamic, 'big play' DE who's quick enough to play OLB, if need be. Given that many teams in the NFL can suddenly find themselves short in the linebacker department due to injuries, Walker makes a great choice for the Eagles, who presently don't have ideal depth at LB (especially if they trade Kendricks). In fact, Walker may be more suited to OLB than DE in the NFL. Though I'd very much like to see him play on the Eagles D-line, opposite guys like Jerningan and Cox. That would be a lot of fun to watch.

Other 'off the radar' D players I'd like to see the Eagles consider--S Xavier Woods, and possibly LB Jaylen Reeves-Maybin.

Edited by MrSimpson
addition

The negative about Adoree Jackson is that he may need time to develop in the NFL. At least, I'm not sure he's a viable starter in his first year. But he is an exceptional athlete, and that kind of athleticism usually, eventually asserts itself. So he could turn out to be a very good pick.

Nor can the Eagles afford to solely rely on 3rd & 4th round picks to fill their pressing need for two starting CBs this year, *and* added depth at that position. They should listen to Malcolm Jenkins, who said that the Eagles need to be actively picking CBs in rounds 1 & 2. They can't afford to lose out--not with this group of promising prospects. The most talented of which are probably K.King, Awuzie, Jackson, Lewis, Moreau, and the injured Jones, IMO. I also like Ashton Lampkin a lot in later rounds. He's tenacious and very quick & fast--exactly the kind of player Coach Schwartz likes, yes?

But I strongly agree that Demarcus Walker is being "a bit overlooked". He's a dynamic, 'big play' DE who's quick enough to play OLB, if need be. Given that many teams in the NFL can suddenly find themselves short in the linebacker department due to injuries, Walker makes a great choice for the Eagles, who presently don't have ideal depth at LB (especially if they trade Kendricks). In fact, Walker may be more suited to OLB than DE in the NFL. Though I'd very much like to see him play on the Eagles D-line, opposite guys like Jerningan and Cox. That would be a lot of fun to watch.

Other 'off the radar' D players I'd like to see the Eagles consider--S Xavier Woods, and possibly LB Jaylen Reeves-Maybin.

Walker on my mock in 3 Like Lampkin as well as Shaquille Griffin-either would make a nuce BU/future starter

17 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Walker on my mock in 3 Like Lampkin as well as Shaquille Griffin-either would make a nice BU/future starter

I'd be happy with Walker. I like Chris Wormley too if could be as disruptive off the Edge as he is at DT.

18 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Walker on my mock in 3 Like Lampkin as well as Shaquille Griffin-either would make a nice BU/future starter

I really like what McCaffrey could add to Pederson's scheme in the back field,but I think that if we want the 'cream of the crop' CB they need to pick the highest CB left on their board at #14. If that guy can translate into a Day 1 starter,they absolutely have to take him,especially if he's better than the majority of the CB's already on the roster. If the Eagles want to win a SB,they undoubtedly have to solidify the CB situation with young guys that will be starters on the team for several years to come! I like that the D was good last year at keeping opponents out of the EZ,but I'd much rather see them be able to shut down an O before they drive all of the way down the field and use up precious time on the clock that would be better served by having the ball in the hands of the Eagles' offense!

Nor can the Eagles afford to solely rely on 3rd & 4th round picks to fill their pressing need for two starting CBs this year, *and* added depth at that position. They should listen to Malcolm Jenkins, who said that the Eagles need to be actively picking CBs in rounds 1 & 2. They can't afford to lose out--not with this group of promising prospects. The most talented of which are probably Humphrey, Lattimore, K.King, Awuzie, Jackson, Lewis, Moreau, and the injured Jones, IMO. I also like Ashton Lampkin a lot in later rounds. He's tenacious and very quick & fast--exactly the kind of player Coach Schwartz likes, yes?  As for Cam Sutton, to me, he only looks like an average athlete in the "Meet the Prospect" films.

I have to disagree with your OJ.
IMO The 2017 NFL Draft class has at least 10 CB's that can start on day 1 as this is an historically DEEP class, chock full of CB talent.

#1 Marshawn Lattimore

#2 Gareon Conley

#3 Marlon Humphrey

#4 Tre' davious White

#5 Sidney Jones

#6 Cordea Tankersley

#7 Adoree Jackson

#8 Fabian Moreau

#9 Chidobe Awuzie

#10 Kevin King

Special mention, Rasul Douglas, Akthello Witherspoon, Quincy Wilson

There's a bunch more in the later rounds that could develop into starters but I think all of these guys are more than capable.

In my opinion if we draft any combination of two of these players, this Eagles fan would be happy.

Jackson is best in off coverage and zone. Humphrey is best in man . I'm not sure which type Schwartz prefers. He ran zone a decent amount but was that because our corners couldn't stay with receivers.

Sticking w/ my premise that unless a true game changer falls to us then take whoever they feel is the best fit CB available, then Sidney Jones in the 2nd. We'd finally be set at the position for yrs. Or do we simply not take a chance of losing him and go ahead and draft Jones in the 1st and have the 5th yr option?

Like the order of that list at the top tho. Humphrey gets beat deep and some say Conley is actually better. Then there's the rumour Schwartz likes White. I don't think he's tenacious enough so that surprised me.