Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RememberTheKoy

Eli Manning caught being actively involved in a scam selling fake gear wrongfully advertised as "game used"

67 posts in this topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-eli-manning-teamed-giants-equipment-manager-memorabilia-scam-220248847.html

According to the New York Post, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning was involved in a scheme with the team’s equipment manager to sell fake gear that could be advertised as "game used” based on game-worn gear.

The Post obtained court papers that show Manning sending an email to Joe Skiba, the team’s equipment manager, asking for "helmets that can pass as game used,” which Manning was forced to turn over last week in connection to a civil racketeering suit. It alleges that Manning and the Giants worked in conjunction to bilk collectors into purchasing what they believed were authentic gear that was used in NFL games.

Three memorabilia dealers are suing Manning, Skiba, the Giants, team owner John Mara and others in the case. The emails were filed on Tuesday at Bergen County (N.J.) Superior Court.

In one email from 2010, Manning’s marketing agent, Alan Zucker, asked Manning to give him "2 game used helmets and 2 game used jerseys,” and Skiba replied to Manning: "Let me know what your looking for I’ll try to get something down for you … ”

Manning reportedly responded by saying, "helmets that can pass as game used. That is it. Eli.”

Lawyers for the Giants issued a statement: "The email, taken out of context, was shared with the media by an unscrupulous memorabilia dealer and his counsel who for years has been seeking to leverage a big payday.”

It continued: "The email predates any litigation, and there was no legal obligation to store it on the Giants server …

"Eli Manning is well known for his integrity and this is just the latest misguided attempt to defame his character.”

Another lawsuit, filed in 2014, alleged that Skiba sold former Giants Hall of Famer Michael Strahan’s actual game-worn jersey from Super Bowl XLII and gave Strahan a fake jersey that was made to look real, "even adding Gatorade stains to the fabric.” That same suit alleged Manning was involved in keeping his own game-worn gear and passing off other items as legitimate, although some of those claims have been dismissed since then.

Manning, the No. 1 overall pick of the 2004 NFL draft of the San Diego Chargers, was traded to the Giants shortly after being selected. He started midway through his rookie season, has spent his entire career with the Giants, is the franchise’s all-time passing leader at 48,218 yards and has led the franchise to two Super Bowl victories — both over the New England Patriots. Manning currently has a consecutive-games played streak of 199 dating back to 2004, which could be in jeopardy if the NFL finds Manning at fault in the case as part of the league’s player conduct policy.

There will be a lot of watchful eyes on how NFL commissioner Roger Goodell eventually handles this case, depending on what other information surfaces. He hit the Patriots hard for what was deemed as an integrity-of-the-game violation for their role in deflate-gate — which included the highly scrutinized roles of two Patriots equipment employees. The league also has spent countless money and time cracking down hard on phony NFL gear being sold online and in or around its stadiums.

It has been quite the newsworthy offseason for the NFL memorabilia industry. The jersey of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was stolen immediately following Super Bowl VI by a journalist who bypassed security and it was later recovered in Mexico following an international investigation.

I think we should all wait and see how well he plays in the 2017 season before we jump to conclusions

2 people like this

Maybe he needed the extra cash...  actually i heard he gave fake game worn gear so he wouldnt have to give them his real gear, so he could keep it himself.... so who knows... pretty dumb of him to do it

4 hours ago, vincent_NJG said:

I think we should all wait and see how well he plays in the 2017 season before we jump to conclusions

Huh?

Lifetime Ban. =) 

1 hour ago, BKLYNYG said:

Void his contract...:ph34r:

Void any and all post season games that he played in and erase them from any record books.

2 people like this

34 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Void any and all post season games that he played in and erase them from any record books.

Except the playoff losses to the Eagles

1 person likes this

O  M  F  G . . .

7 hours ago, boogyman said:

Huh?

Real simple..

If Eli plays like ish in 2017, then he's guilty AF and should be publicly shamed on top of having the book thrown at him.

If Eli plays well, then it was probably just a misunderstanding.

4 people like this

48 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Real simple..

If Eli plays like ish in 2017, then he's guilty AF and should be publicly shamed on top of having the book thrown at him.

If Eli plays well, then it was probably just a misunderstanding.

Oh haha got it. My Internet sarcasm meter was malfunctioning last night.

The most funny scenario is that this bothers Goodell so much he suspends Eli for 4 games. The Giants lose all 4, then Eli comes back, has a season for the ages and wins the superbowl Ala Brady.

Not hoping that happens but it would be funny.

2 people like this

On 4/14/2017 at 8:07 AM, boogyman said:

The most funny scenario is that this bothers Goodell so much he suspends Eli for 4 games. The Giants lose all 4, then Eli comes back, has a season for the ages and wins the superbowl Ala Brady.

Not hoping that happens but it would be funny.

Roger would hang himself:roll:

If this whole thing turns out to be true, and there is proof, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get suspended, and the Giants fined heavily. Selling fake "game used" stuff most definitely puts a few dings in the NFL shield

1 hour ago, Gmen4ever said:

Roger would hang himself:roll:

If this whole thing turns out to be true, and there is proof, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get suspended, and the Giants fined heavily. Selling fake "game used" stuff most definitely puts a few dings in the NFL shield

Yeah. I blew it off at first but after thinking about it, it's fairly serious if true. It also makes no sense for him to do it...it's not like he needs a few extra bucks. 

Maybe he had an obligation and honestly forgot to put aside items during the season? And rather than breaking the contract he panicked into doing something dumb. I dunno. Strange story though, and Eli of all people lol.

That's gotta be worth at least a 4 game suspension and a pretty significant fine I would think

With what happened just to get back Tom Brady's crap back and the Value of "Game used " stuff today .....  He could of been trying to give too many out .... tax breaks ... it could be a ton of things that could get ugly . 

My bet was he was doing Charity / donation type crap for tax breaks .... Tax on his Salary has to suck 

Imagine he actually needed the cash lol. He would be the oddest "broke" story ever.

How much money is involved in this situation? Let's assume for a moment that this is 100% true. Does it rise to the level of felony fraud?

1 person likes this

This is PROOF of criminal activity. There is no interpretation needed here. He was not generally aware of crime. He was the ring leader.

• Sexual Assault (Peyton at Tennessee)
  • PEDs (Peyton's miracle comeback fueled by obvious linkable HGH)
  • Fraud

The Manning Legacy is now complete. 

The Giants were aware of this, right?

• 1 year suspension.
  • 5 million dollars
  • a pair of 1st round picks lost

That sounds fair to me, or they could just push the fraud up another level.

2 people like this

Again, let's all assume for the sake of discussion that this is 100% true. Further, pretend that they lose the civil case, so a court has declared it true and Eli retired before the start of this season. It's now 2022 and Eli is eligible for induction into the hall of fame.

In your opinion, would this stop him from getting in? I don't know that he'd make the cut anyway, but being a 2 time Super Bowl MVP and 2 time Super Bowl winner, his name will definitely be in the hat. So, does this tip the scales against him ever getting in?

Eli in prison for fraud is hilarious IMO.

1 hour ago, boogyman said:

Eli in prison for fraud is hilarious IMO.

My avatar pic of him might actually become a reality if that were to happen:roll:

5 people like this

1 minute ago, Gmen4ever said:

My avatar pic of him might actually become a reality if that were to happen:roll:

I dont even think the Cons are that hard up 

Just now, NE.Jon said:

I dont even think the Cons are that hard up 

:lol: