Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Wentz Has Leap To Make In Year 2

Hard to articulate in words exactly, but he's carrying himself a little differently. He seems more comfortable in his surroundings. Good sign.

12 minutes ago, Procus said:

Hard to articulate in words exactly, but he's carrying himself a little differently. He seems more comfortable in his surroundings. Good sign.

There, right there. You put it into words.

23 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

There, right there. You put it into words.

It takes a sharp mind to pick up those finer points.  Touche my friend!

4 hours ago, ASG15 said:

Remember guys, Peyton Manning kinda sucked his rookie year

Once he got the offense built around him and the offensive players around him he was a lot better. He still threw the INTs but he had a lot more TDs to make them look alright lol

3 hours ago, SackDakSunday said:

Don't forget that Wentz is also athletic, willing to stand in and take a hit, fearless trying to gain extra yards, all while keeping his eyes down field. Wentz has a lot to offer the eagles. I hope he can improve his mechanics, but accuracy (which I thought wasn't horrible) usually comes with chemistry and anticipation. He does need to hold the ball higher though, and be a two handed monster.

All those things you mentioned are things that increase his chance at fumbling today you love them but if he fumbles you criticize him can't have it both ways.

5 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Mechanics changes.A guy who really comes to mind here was Vinny Testaverde.He was a sidearm thrower and they tried to change him and things got worse.Once they let him play his game he had some success.All I am saying is improve what you got the guy to do,throw the ball.if you are unhappy with what you see him do in college as far as mechanics,draft someone else.Most serious QB's will work on that themselves to be the best they can be.The problems come when you try and force them to be someone they are not

I don't agree with this. This isn't the sixties. His throwing motion wears out his elbow and is less accurate on short throws. The science is in place now. Baseball pitchers have broken it down. If you can do some tweaks and improve his accuracy while adding to his longevetitiy you have to do it. I don't believe Wentz was drafted because of his throwing motion or his footwork. This isn't changing him as a player.

But it starts with footwork. This has to come without thinking for him. Repetition. Muscle memory. While you're doing that you try and get him holding that ball in the proper position. So he's ready to fire. A whole compact routine. Proper setup under C. Then fire away from C directly back. He can improve on this. Get himself under balance while doing it and that just helps give him an edge to be ready for a disruptive pass rusher or to pass the ball.

I think Kelce is deserving of criticism. He is a smart player. But what made him good was that lunch pail blue collar mentality. He came into the league scrappy. That helped offset his size. But then he got a huge payday. He kind of went into Primma Donna mode if you ask me after he got his millions. He lost that scrappyness. He started making dumb mistakes and penalties. That player isn't worth that kind of money IMO. He has limitations mostly based on his size. He can engage and maintain a block but he doesn't push anyone back. Basically his forte is pulling. He has good enough feet and is good at engaging in space on the move. You see that the Oline is all really big guys now under Pedey. So philosophies changed. The endurance based system of Chipper isn't what we do now.

I believe this draft has several options that would be an upgrade over Kelce. Not just one or two but several. So if you have all these guys in the third,fourth and maybe even a fifth round option that look to be an upgrade how can you justify Kelce's salary?

Don't forget that Wentz is also athletic, willing to stand in and take a hit, fearless trying to gain extra yards, all while keeping his eyes down field. Wentz has a lot to offer the eagles. I hope he can improve his mechanics, but accuracy (which I thought wasn't horrible) usually comes with chemistry and anticipation. He does need to hold the ball higher though, and be a two handed monster.

His Mechanics are not so much the issue as the amount of time he holds onto the ball. He needs to get rid of it faster. If this is from his mechanics, so be it, but it is his major issue. Accuracy will get better as he becomes more comfortable with the offense and the receivers.

12 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I advise patience with Wentz. He wants to improve his accuracy. Always a good plan. His new throwing motion should help with that....long term. To start this season though he might have to take a step back before he leaps forward. He has major work to do on his throwing motion and footwork. I care more about getting these right than I do about winning week one. Tons of faith in CW. He'll get it.

The foot work and how he plants before throwing is what dictates accuracy the most. The biggest reason why so many passes were batted down was due to the D pretty much knowing that it was gonna be a short dump-off or slant. :smoke:

Jenkins was asked about Wentz as compared to Brees and he said that Wentz goes about his job same as Brees did. He feels Wentz will show the same results. I am not worried about him. He has two ex QB's as coaches plus the QB coach to help him progress.

I advise patience with Wentz. He wants to improve his accuracy. Always a good plan. His new throwing motion should help with that....long term. To start this season though he might have to take a step back before he leaps forward. He has major work to do on his throwing motion and footwork. I care more about getting these right than I do about winning week one. Tons of faith in CW. He'll get it.

Wentz has said he did not do much with his mechanics and does not plan to.... Where did you read he has a new throwing motion?

Think it's more about footwork and the way he holds the ball low - all well documented last yr. When he has time, he'll plant his foot for his first read. If that's not there and he switches reads, that foot never gets planted again, which throws a QB's accuracy off. In his press pass he said they worked on his footwork, not so much his mechanics. It's difficult as he's probably done it his whole life and it's somewhat surprising his coaches growing up didn't correct that. Whether it's coaching failure or refusal on his part we don't know. Trying to correct his throwing motion may actually work against him. For right now, improving his footwork will help him immensely, esp now that he has some downfield weapons.

Getting a running game would be Wentz's biggest help right now.

Grab Blount + draft

16 hours ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

Lost "in the shuffle" regarding Wentz's arm mechanics and footwork: as he's repeatedly shown, especially earlier in the season, before his WR's forgot how to catch, is his Peytonesque ability to take command , both before (reading defenses) and during the play. We honestly have NEVER seen this in an Eagle QB, except for maybe Van Brocklin. Both Cunningham and McNabb were incredible athletes, but couldn't come close to taking charge. I was really impressed last season, and once his mechanics are improved, the sky's the limit. As of now, I wouldn't trade him, one for one, with ANY QB, except for maybe Rodgers. We'll see how incredibly lucky we are soon.

Luck had zero to do with it.Our FO saw a franchise QB and made the moves to get him.Let's hope that continues

It's not often you find one team who is willing to make a trade with you to go get your guy, much less two. So I agree with EOT that there was indeed luck in that aspect of our getting our franchise QB.

Think it's more about footwork and the way he holds the ball low - all well documented last yr. When he has time, he'll plant his foot for his first read. If that's not there and he switches reads, that foot never gets planted again, which throws a QB's accuracy off. In his press pass he said they worked on his footwork, not so much his mechanics. It's difficult as he's probably done it his whole life and it's somewhat surprising his coaches growing up didn't correct that. Whether it's coaching failure or refusal on his part we don't know. Trying to correct his throwing motion may actually work against him. For right now, improving his footwork will help him immensely, esp now that he has some downfield weapons.

That is what I read. Foot work was the main thing, plus a little fine tuning of his existing throwing motion.
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagles/carson-wentz-working-private-qb-coach-was-beneficial?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

14 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  17 hours ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

Lost "in the shuffle" regarding Wentz's arm mechanics and footwork: as he's repeatedly shown, especially earlier in the season, before his WR's forgot how to catch, is his Peytonesque ability to take command , both before (reading defenses) and during the play. We honestly have NEVER seen this in an Eagle QB, except for maybe Van Brocklin. Both Cunningham and McNabb were incredible athletes, but couldn't come close to taking charge. I was really impressed last season, and once his mechanics are improved, the sky's the limit. As of now, I wouldn't trade him, one for one, with ANY QB, except for maybe Rodgers. We'll see how incredibly lucky we are soon.

Luck had zero to do with it.Our FO saw a franchise QB and made the moves to get him.Let's hope that continues

It's not often you find one team who is willing to make a trade with you to go get your guy, much less two. So I agree with EOT that there was indeed luck in that aspect of our getting our franchise QB.

yeah thats true,but still we made the moves when they came our way,so a little luck and a little smarts I can live with.We wanted Wentz and did what we had to do to get him.The teams we traded with thought the trade was beneficial to them or they would not have done it

12 hours ago, SackDakSunday said:

His Mechanics are not so much the issue as the amount of time he holds onto the ball. He needs to get rid of it faster. If this is from his mechanics, so be it, but it is his major issue. Accuracy will get better as he becomes more comfortable with the offense and the receivers.

Stine,he had to hold the ball WAITING for his receivers to get open-BIG problem and I believe we fixed that!!! Let it ROCK now Carson

2 hours ago, stine said:

Stine,he had to hold the ball WAITING for his receivers to get open-BIG problem and I believe we fixed that!!! Let it ROCK now Carson

He was a rookie and made some rookie mistakes, like not getting rid of the ball when he saw no open receivers. I agree that all will get better this year from his experience alone. With the added weapons I expect more improvement.

He has a bit of Big Bens' extending plays and Eli's escaping in him, along with an ability to run but pass 1st. Each time I come back to this puter I'm hoping to see we've signed Blount, then draft some as well.

Speaking of draft, this DE in the 1st rumor is driving me nuts, trying to still get starting CB and RB.

16 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  2 hours ago, stine said:

He was a rookie and made some rookie mistakes, like not getting rid of the ball when he saw no open receivers. I agree that all will get better this year from his experience alone. With the added weapons I expect more improvement.

Amen bro

Grab Blount + draft

Or move up and grab Fournette.
This kid is going to be a star RB, let's make him our star RB.

Getting 7 wins with the WR group we paired up with him last season was amazing.
Aggs and Beckham were not good and the drops became contagious as even JMatt and Ertz were dropping passes they normally would catch.
As a group they dropped a ton of passes that should have been completions, which could easily have gotten us at least three more wins.
With the upgraded WR corps, and a deep O line I can see us winning 10 or more games in 2017.
If we can nail this draft, going beyond ten wins is a real possibility.
This team needs to make the playoffs and get back to Eagle dominance.

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Grab Blount + draft

Or move up and grab Fournette.
This kid is going to be a star RB, let's make him our star RB.

he;s no Zeke lol,not worth giving up picks for in this deep draft