Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Who'd You Draft: Barnett Or Harris?

Brandon Graham told reporters on Tuesday that he would not be surprised to see the Eagles use the No. 14 overall pick on a defensive end in the first round of next week's NFL Draft. "I want them t...

View the full article

2 minutes ago, bagger90 said:

Plus you have a guy like that makes the secondary better

I still don't fully buy in to this notion.

Yes pass rushers can help the secondary. But if you have Muppets back there defending the pass then it's not going to matter much. You can't hit and sack the QB on every play.

You need corners who can jam receivers. Who can put receivers off their routes and just hold off the quick release passes. If you are unable to do that then you allow the QB to get rid of the ball very quickly. And if they can do that then your pass rushers don't have long to get to the QB.

I'm not saying a number of pass rushers can't help but with what we have right now and even with just one addition we are still going to get burnt. 

I agree UK_EaglesFan89, you still need Quality CB's ... However, against the elite QB's in this league if you can't pressure the QB, any CB could be victimized. Barnett is my choice also... stout, physical, non-stop motor... surpassed Reggie, If he is half as good as Reggie man that would be awesome. Schwartz D Linemen in Detroit were speed guys Cliff Avril for one was a fast ball coming off the edge... Fastballs may be Schwartz preference, my CRS issues...can't remember crap...prevents me from naming the other Speed guys that Schwartz drafted... I think Harris would be his choice especially with Jernigan and Long in the fold...Harris could be that guy.

12 hours ago, bagger90 said:

Yes pass rushers can help the secondary. But if you have Muppets back there defending the pass then it's not going to matter much. You can't hit and sack the QB on every play.

You need corners who can jam receivers. Who can put receivers off their routes and just hold off the quick release passes. If you are unable to do that then you allow the QB to get rid of the ball very quickly. And if they can do that then your pass rushers don't have long to get to the QB.

I'm not saying a number of pass rushers can't help but with what we have right now and even with just one addition we are still going to get burnt. 

Very good point mate! On the debate of this article I'd go w/Barnett.
But on the debate of the #14 pick,I'd go CB. I want to solidify that group for years to come,and even though it is a CB heavy draft,you're not gonna find a rookie CB that is near the top of the class & has a good possibility to be a Day 1 starter by the time you get to #43 overall.

14 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

But on the debate of the #14 pick,I'd go CB. I want to solidify that group for years to come,and even though it is a CB heavy draft,you're not gonna find a rookie CB that is near the top of the class & has a good possibility to be a Day 1 starter by the time you get to #43 overall.

I'm not sure I quite agree buddy because I do think there's going to be some really really good starters available in the second round. Certainly guys who can come in to this team and start straight away anyway. Then again at this point there's not really hard if it... 

13 hours ago, bagger90 said:

CB helps the rushers too. Last season there were many pressures which could turn into sacks if the secondary could cover better. I'd say CB first, DE second. Like Barnett more than Harris, whose defense against runs is sub-par.

45 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I'm not sure I quite agree buddy because I do think there's going to be some really really good starters available in the second round. Certainly guys who can come in to this team and start straight away anyway. Then again at this point there's not really hard if it... 

TBH,I really don't know man. Sure do wish that I had a crystal ball! If you are right in thinking that a stud/jammer/baller CB will still be ripe at #43,then I want the BPA at DE for our 1st pick. I'm pretty sure that Myles Garret & Soloman Thomas will be gone by the time the Eagles are on the board,so if Taco Charlton,Derrick Barnett,or Charles Harris is still there I'll be happy with one of those three.

1 minute ago, Penn7980 said:

CB helps the rushers too. Last season there were many pressures which could turn into sacks if the secondary could cover better. I'd say CB first, DE second. Like Barnett more than Harris, whose defense against runs is sub-par.

That's exactly my point buddy! CBs need to give the pass rushers more time to get to the QB. Without that it doesn't really matter who you have on the D line you aren't going to get as many sacks as you should. Graham was in the top 5 for QB hurries last year and yet he didn't get a ton of sacks. But at the same time having a dominant guy coming off the other edge would be really beneficial too. 

In effect, the two go hand in hand. 

1 minute ago, EaglesTD123 said:

TBH,I really don't know man. Sure do wish that I had a crystal ball! If you are right in thinking that a stud/jammer/baller CB will still be ripe at #43,then I want the BPA at DE for our 1st pick. I'm pretty sure that Myles Garret & Soloman Thomas will be gone by the time the Eagles are on the board,so if Taco Charlton,Derrick Barnett,or Charles Harris is still there I'll be happy with one of those three.

Man I've got back and forth on this for so so long now and here's where I'm at:

- CB is our biggest need no doubt. If the right guy is there at #14 then we should take him but who's the right guy? They all have flaws that worry me. 

- I say go BPA in the first and then definitely go corner in the second (if BPA isn't a corner). We can't wait longer than the second round to start addressing the position. But that's the key here... It's just the start. We then need to draft a corner in the third or maybe fourth as well.

This draft is loaded with corners, RBs and DEs so let's take advantage of that. But we've got to be sensible, have done our homework and be slightly lucky to pull it all off. 

Barnett would be the guy for me. Like a lot of talent evaluators neither Josh Norris nor Tony Pauline addressed which player would be the best fit in the Eagles system. Barnett is the guy because of his non stop motor. He never takes a play off. In a Jim Schwartz defense you need linemen to get to the QB or move the QB out of the pocket on a consistent basis. Our linemen don't get much help with the blitz. They have to get there on their own. Most linemen playing in this defense get tired quickly when they are doing the equivalent of blitzing on every play. They have to have subs come in on a regular basis to give them a break and then you have a dropoff in talent on the field for a number of plays. Barnett is like the energizer bunny. He never gets tired. He has the same quickness in the 4th quarter that he has in the first quarter. This decision is a no brainer for me.

One week left... maaannn I am sooo worn out thinking of the possibilities... I will be in Philly for day 1. I hope we don't outsmart ourselves and end up with some unknown, like the Marcus Smith pick... Hell so many possibilities, what will we do? My Eagles have been very unpredictable in previous Drafts. Every team wants to Draft an unknown talent like Brady or Antonio Brown. This Draft is unique, can't remember these many prospects EVER being touted as Can't Miss, quality prospects through the first 4 rounds. We can't mess this up, can we? Lots of talk about Kevin King CB going in the first ... come on, let's get this over with already?

One week left... maaannn I am sooo worn out thinking of the possibilities... I will be in Philly for day 1. I hope we don't outsmart ourselves and end up with some unknown, like the Marcus Smith pick... Hell so many possibilities, what will we do? My Eagles have been very unpredictable in previous Drafts. Every team wants to Draft an unknown talent like Brady or Antonio Brown. This Draft is unique, can't remember these many prospects EVER being touted as Can't Miss, quality prospects through the first 4 rounds. We can't mess this up, can we? Lots of talk about Kevin King CB going in the first ... come on, let's get this over with already?

yeah King is on my list of CB's to snag.Seems though Schwartz is not fond of TALL CB's Wonder why that is.King is athletic enough,but not sure he has the run block skill set we seem to want.That can be taught I think as long as he is willing to WANT to tackle lol.Like Moreau,Conley,Q.Wilson.Jones and Awuzie.Witherspoon if we wait a bit.Get me TWO of these!!!

I don't get why we would be inclined to get these short CB that can't defend the Horizontal game... The WR's in this year Draft are tall compared to these 5'10" and small sub 6'ft  Safeties and CB that are at a disadvantage against these monsterous WR... in the NFC east Dez is 6'03"... Brandon Marshall is 06'05".  Pryor is 6'06"... and we ain't even talking a boutTE's we better get taller and more physical or expect to get toasted in the Jump Ball and Red zone game. Revis Island was only 5'10" in his Hey Day he could shut down all comers... these days the size speed, and quickness of these tall WR  are on par with some of these shorter quick CB...I sure hope we find the right combination of size, physicality speed in this Draft... GBInFl that Awuzie kid may be shorter but I really like his game, wasn't he one of your guys,you were one of the first that talked about him. Really like aggression and physicality and competitiveness.

I still take 2-CB's THEN pick up DeMarcus Walker in round 3.He is a fine/solid DE

The choice in this article was Harris or Barnett. I have no idea who the Eagles will take at 14. They could have a tough choice on their hands.

I agree UK_EaglesFan89, you still need Quality CB's ... However, against the elite QB's in this league if you can't pressure the QB, any CB could be victimized. Barnett is my choice also... stout, physical, non-stop motor... surpassed Reggie, If he is half as good as Reggie man that would be awesome. Schwartz D Linemen in Detroit were speed guys Cliff Avril for one was a fast ball coming off the edge... Fastballs may be Schwartz preference, my CRS issues...can't remember crap...prevents me from naming the other Speed guys that Schwartz drafted... I think Harris would be his choice especially with Jernigan and Long in the fold...Harris could be that guy.

But this is a CB heavy draft.