DaveSpadaro

[News] On An Unusual Schedule, News And Notes

If we were to open with Foster Mixon would people be happy with that or pissed we hadn't taken a DB yet?

Loser,double loser.No thanks.don't need any locker room cancer drama queens

32 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Wait a minute here ... did I just read correctly quoting Zach Ertz that the Eagles led the league in time of possession last year? The combo of doing that and moving to a 4-3 on defense and yet still only 7 wins? How does that happen? All the geniuses on here who complained about time of possession and hte 3-4 for years and now you tell them that it wasn't the magical answers? On top of that Ertz mentions "red zone" issues? Are you telling me that getting a target to be effective in the red zone matters... and not the speed guy? This is crazy stuff!

Yeah Joe, Ertz was part of the problem in the red zone. It will be interesting to see if he can ever be part of the solution going forward. LOL

Like to see Celek once again involved OFFENSIVELY instead of holding him back to block

MJK, we have all talked about this pick for about 2 months now. I am fairly certain, if you could get a list o names I mentioned, you would come up with at least 12 people for the Eagles at 14! Pretty sure others have close to 10 themselves lol... Just the nature of the beast. We all like to discuss all possibilities, hoping one sticks. But as we have all learned, HR does what none of us expect! I have already gone on Record that this one time, he do something everyone expects. Grab a BPA that also happens to be a Position of need. Edge, CB, RB, WR or LB. Anyone of those would probably be OK. Reality is we need allot of players so we should get one we need. I keep rooting for teams to grab QB's so Wranglers prediction comes true...

Which leads to another topic. Stine, out of all the players that you like at pick 14, how many of them do you think teams would trade up in the draft to select? Do you see anyone trading up in the draft to take Foster, Howard, or Barnett? I don't. I believe they will be taken in order of liking them or not. I think the teams trading up this year will be for QB's only. Except for maybe the Browns.

If we were to open with Foster Mixon would people be happy with that or pissed we hadn't taken a DB yet?

I would be more concerned with Jim Schwartz. Don't want him to commit Hari - Kari because he didn't get enough new defensive players to get the job done. I would have to see the total draft before I could decide.

20 minutes ago, stine said:

MJK, we have all talked about this pick for about 2 months now. I am fairly certain, if you could get a list o names I mentioned, you would come up with at least 12 people for the Eagles at 14! Pretty sure others have close to 10 themselves lol... Just the nature of the beast. We all like to discuss all possibilities, hoping one sticks. But as we have all learned, HR does what none of us expect! I have already gone on Record that this one time, he do something everyone expects. Grab a BPA that also happens to be a Position of need. Edge, CB, RB, WR or LB. Anyone of those would probably be OK. Reality is we need allot of players so we should get one we need. I keep rooting for teams to grab QB's so Wranglers prediction comes true...

Which leads to another topic. Stine, out of all the players that you like at pick 14, how many of them do you think teams would trade up in the draft to select? Do you see anyone trading up in the draft to take Foster, Howard, or Barnett? I don't. I believe they will be taken in order of liking them or not. I think the teams trading up this year will be for QB's only. Except for maybe the Browns.

I do not see anyone trading up. Mostly because of the amount of solid players in the draft more so than looking for a particular one. 2nd and 3rd round picks are more valuable this year I think. Could be wrong... wouldn't be first or last time!

13 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Foster doesn't concern me as much as Mixon.  But I feel we have enough character guys in the locker right now that we can take a few chances. 

35 minutes ago, rsnyder23 said:

Were either of these guys locker room cancers with their college teams? I don't know.

24 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:
  53 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Wait a minute here ... did I just read correctly quoting Zach Ertz that the Eagles led the league in time of possession last year? The combo of doing that and moving to a 4-3 on defense and yet still only 7 wins? How does that happen? All the geniuses on here who complained about time of possession and hte 3-4 for years and now you tell them that it wasn't the magical answers? On top of that Ertz mentions "red zone" issues? Are you telling me that getting a target to be effective in the red zone matters... and not the speed guy? This is crazy stuff!

Yeah Joe, Ertz was part of the problem in the red zone. It will be interesting to see if he can ever be part of the solution going forward. LOL

Like to see Celek once again involved OFFENSIVELY instead of holding him back to block

Just for informational purposes, I read an article awhile back that stated that the Bears were taking Alshon Jeffery out of the lineup in his last year there when they got to the red zone because he was ineffective. They were substituting another receiver for him.

Yep... reinforcing the theme of not believing everything you read.

Kiper said he thought there were 7 CB's worthy of Round 1 and possibly the first part of round 2. Who knows what we have ranked where.... I love the idea of moving back 4-6 spots to pick up a 2nd rounder, but you need to have trade partners and I am not so sure they are out there this year....

The Texans makes sense but only during the draft, not before. If the QB Texas wants is there at 14, then the trade could happen if the Eagles believe the CB they want will be there at 25. I believe Wilson could be there at pick 25 but am not sure. He is a fit for the Eagles but not sure if he is a fit for other clubs picking a little higher than 25.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/21/joe-mixon-settles-civil-lawsuit-arising-from-2014-incident/

Sorry Mixon, doesn't prove to me you won't do it again and be unavailable to the team that takes you. Given the money and fame about to come your way, a situation will arise and I fear you'll do it again. What I hope you don't do is affect my Eagles.

53 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:
  1 hour ago, trini said:

If Williams is there at 14 do we still go Offense if Riddick, Barnett or  King or a top safety are around ? Howie and Joe said that the B.P.A .model has tiers  @1wrangler what tier would Williams fit we need a WR, but not as much as a starting CB is A pass rusher more important than CB? so many complications hahaha.... I plan to be in Philly Y'all know how our Fanatics act it could get ugly hahaha.

This all depends trini. If my job is on the line regarding which player I pick at 14 then I take BPA. We already know that the success rate for drafting a CB in the first round is 25 percent. The success rate for drafting a WR in the first round is 30 percent. These figures are from 1999 until now. So if Joe Douglas, Howie Roseman, and Doug Pederson's butts are on the line regarding the 14th pick then I believe they should draft the BPA at 14. I find it hard to believe that a CB or WR is one of those picks at 14.

AH,so we DONT take a CB or a DE and wait till the top prospects have gone off the board? Another year of "well lets take this guy and HOPE he works out.haven't we done that with secondary for too long??? GET 2 TOP ones and another late.If we continue to allow team to come back on us because we have no secondary,ALL the O work in the offeason is WASTED

They very well may reach for a CB at 14. I just don't think any of them are worth the 14th pick. Now if everyone is in agreement (Joe Douglas, Howie Roseman, and Doug Pederson) then trade back and get your extra pick or two and take your CB later in the first round.

22 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Foster doesn't concern me as much as Mixon.  But I feel we have enough character guys in the locker right now that we can take a few chances. 

I would be wondering, where do the Eagles draw the line with problem children. They got rid of Huff yet they kept Bradham. They drafted Mills, Smallwood and McCalister so I guess the interview process definitely means something.

I think Huff was all about timing.  They had a few bad PR hits in the media in a row and they had to react to his

Yep... reinforcing the theme of not believing everything you read.

Jeff McLane, STAFF WRITER There aren't many routes that a receiver can run inside the red zone, especially the cramped quarters inside the 10-yard line. Most prominent are the "fade" and the "slant," as Alshon Jeffery pointed out Friday.
The wide receiver has had success running both over his five years in the NFL, but asked for one in which he excelled at the most, Jeffery cut to the chase.
"Just throw it up," the new Eagles receiver said.
Jeffery's forte has long been climbing the ladder and winning jump balls against defensive backs. He's done it all over the field, but where that skill is most needed is inside the 20-yard line. The former Bears receiver, however, hasn't been as successful in the red zone, over the last two seasons as he was earlier in his career.
Jeffery's red zone numbers during that span are a microcosm of his final two years in Chicago. For various reasons, he failed to reach the heights he scaled during his second and third years.

To add on to that Wrang, Jaws had an article explaining Wentz's mechanic and footwork problems and how he had difficulty throwing the slant. Not to worry, also said Peyton, Brady and Rodgers had that same problem. Besides RB, gelling with all his weapons and having a consistent OL will lead to success.

Various reasons ... including Matt Barkley ...etc. Just throw it up ... when was the last time you could say that about an Eagles WR? Carmichael, Chris Carter ... maybe T.O. (but he got open via route running) ...been a while for us Iggle fans,

1 hour ago, stine said:

Kiper said he thought there were 7 CB's worthy of Round 1 and possibly the first part of round 2. Who knows what we have ranked where.... I love the idea of moving back 4-6 spots to pick up a 2nd rounder, but you need to have trade partners and I am not so sure they are out there this year....

The Texans makes sense but only during the draft, not before. If the QB Texas wants is there at 14, then the trade could happen if the Eagles believe the CB they want will be there at 25. I believe Wilson could be there at pick 25 but am not sure. He is a fit for the Eagles but not sure if he is a fit for other clubs picking a little higher than 25.

I agree Wrang, I am all for trading back and grabbing another pick or two. Just do not think there will be any takers.... Hope there is tho

Joemas, There was much more about last year. We lost one game (Detroit) because of a fumble. We lost the Dallas game because of bad Coaching decisions(not kicking one of two FG chances) and numerous bad calls inside the 10 yard line. On top of that we just did not have enough players on both sides of the ball. I am hoping DP learned from his mistakes and does better this year, especially as he has some weapons now. Also, let us get some play makers on defense to help out Jenkins and Cox. I was probably too harsh on Doug last year looking back. I now am willing to give him another year to see what he does. Wentz should do much better and I think so will the defense if we get a couple starters in the draft.... All on here want the same thing. I feel this MB has the most intelligent fans in the league. I enjoy reading the thought out opinions....

Take the player at 14. Every year "this is a deep draft" ... just take the player at 14, trade back later if you want. Get some players in here, we may not be selecting this high for a while... move up if there is a guy you like just like in 2012 with Cox. We have players to unload for cap reasons, that might help other teams. So we may be able to recover draft position if needed. Just get the players in here and lets get to work baby. Every year there are mor alternatives for us to complain , but each spot we can only take one player, obviously most people aren't going to be happy if they have their heart set on one guy or position, we can only take one.

Jon Ritchie said something like this recently. "Good coaches can find away to coach around less talent or holes in a roster, so for the draft just get the best players regardless of postion" So at 14, lets get a good player and move on. Same with each round, it will balance out and give us a better roster than last year. Better schedule this year too, so lets make a jump this year and look to finish off the puzzle going forward.

Well, I agree if the player available is a stud. But I am of the belief that there are only about 10 players that fit the bill. IF they are gone the player picke would be about the same value as one picked 8 spots later. Of course moving up is always an option if there is a willing partner. But we need 2 CB's, a Edge rusher, a RB, a LB and a WR. You cannot get all of those in one draft. But you could get most moving back and getting another 2nd round pick.... I know you feel differently,

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Jon Ritchie said something like this recently. "Good coaches can find away to coach around less talent or holes in a roster, so for the draft just get the best players regardless of postion" So at 14, lets get a good player and move on. Same with each round, it will balance out and give us a better roster than last year. Better schedule this year too, so lets make a jump this year and look to finish off the puzzle going forward.

How many years have we been without a legit CB? We need 2. You cannot go BPA with your team needing so many players. If your CB is available later and you know it, trade back and get him. BPA at 24 is better than BPA at 14 if he is a position of need and you can get another player later