Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] What Is Eagles' Plan For First Round?

7 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:
  52 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:
  1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

DWD you are pretty brilliant at this,would take me much longer,but see(in your estimation) where we would have to go for Fournette and what a trade might look like.Could even involve JMatt,picks,future picks.I expect your response on my desk by sundown

To get Fournette I think you have to move to at least 8 so it would take our 2nd and we get there 6th

I know that I'm an old geezer but I value talent a little differently than some of you guys. I personally believe that Fournette is a 14 pick in the draft. Sure some teams will reach for him higher but in my opinion he is a 14 pick. Last year I thought that Elliot was a top ten pick. I always base my opinion at the very end on how these guys do against their toughest competition. Elliot played some of his best games against his toughest competition. In fact he had three straight playoff 200 yard rushing games on his way to a National Championship. In other words, Elliot is a gamer. Now, Fournette has just as many great stats as Elliot did, maybe more in fact but he has 1 receiving TD in three years and if you look at his stats this year against his two toughest opponents (Alabama SEC West winner) 17 attempts for 35 rushing yards and (Florida SEC East winner) 12 attempts and 40 rushing yards you can tell that he didn't rise to the occasion in either of those games. A lot of his stats were against lesser talented teams. I still think he is a great running back and I certainly wouldn't turn him down but I see him as a tier below Elliot at the present time. Like I said, pick 14 is just about right for him.

Well like I said a RB like Zeke is a once a decade thing,but you can't whine for a decade waiting,you have to take the best RB you can find and I believe for all the points I laid you,and as much as I wanted a CB in 1/2 I just don;t think thats the way we are going if you look at the press releases.We moved up for Zeke last year.the Wentz trade presented itself so we lost him,but IMO the philosophy hasn't changed and I believe we go get Fournette this year having our franchise QB and 2 nice WR's already in place

*out

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Tough because you are putting everything on the RB. Did all these top picks on defense factor in to Ohio St being able to run the ball more? Did all these top picks on Bama's D have to do with shutting down a one dimensional LSU offense?

I think that it is also fair to draw overall comparisons between the BIG10 Defenses as a whole, and the SEC defenses as a whole... There is NO question which conference has the toughest defenses

Anyway as much as we want to shore up this secondary(and we still could) in my view getting Fournette makes too much sense from all aspects(team,biz,fans) to ignore and I re-iterate the number 7 is still open on the roster sheet lol

Stop with Fournette! No way are we trading up to grab him and I doubt the Eagles are even eyeing him as a first round pick. We have so many needs that you want to toss away a 2nd round pick for a RB that may not even work in our system? No no no!!! I do not want him sam I am,

To me Fournette is ahead of Elliott. The better debate to me is McCaffrey versus Elliott. I feel a slight edge towards McCaffrey. He has better vision. He has better hands. McCaffrey is giving up some weight though as a disadvantage. And I give Elliott the nod in pass blocking.

8 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:
  53 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

DWD you are pretty brilliant at this,would take me much longer,but see(in your estimation) where we would have to go for Fournette and what a trade might look like.Could even involve JMatt,picks,future picks.I expect your response on my desk by sundown

To get Fournette I think you have to move to at least 8 so it would take our 2nd and we get there 6th

I know that I'm an old geezer but I value talent a little differently than some of you guys. I personally believe that Fournette is a 14 pick in the draft. Sure some teams will reach for him higher but in my opinion he is a 14 pick. Last year I thought that Elliot was a top ten pick. I always base my opinion at the very end on how these guys do against their toughest competition. Elliot played some of his best games against his toughest competition. In fact he had three straight playoff 200 yard rushing games on his way to a National Championship. In other words, Elliot is a gamer. Now, Fournette has just as many great stats as Elliot did, maybe more in fact but he has 1 receiving TD in three years and if you look at his stats this year against his two toughest opponents (Alabama SEC West winner) 17 attempts for 35 rushing yards and (Florida SEC East winner) 12 attempts and 40 rushing yards you can tell that he didn't rise to the occasion in either of those games. A lot of his stats were against lesser talented teams. I still think he is a great running back and I certainly wouldn't turn him down but I see him as a tier below Elliot at the present time. Like I said, pick 14 is just about right for him.

Well like I said a RB like Zeke is a once a decade thing,but you can't whine for a decade waiting,you have to take the best RB you can find and I believe for all the points I laid you,and as much as I wanted a CB in 1/2 I just don;t think thats the way we are going if you look at the press releases.We moved up for Zeke last year.the Wentz trade presented itself so we lost him,but IMO the philosophy hasn't changed and I believe we go get Fournette this year having our franchise QB and 2 nice WR's already in place

I don't care what you say GBFL, I'm not taking Stine off my mock at pick 14. So there!

35 minutes ago, mateagle2 said:

DWD... THINK CAP... we have no room, something has to give or we wont be able to sign anyone... There will be cap casualties through trade, I am predicting O-line

Getting Fournette and Losing RMat frees up cap.Once again it just makes sense from the biz angle

Rmatt is going to be cut anyway, so the Cap space is there regardless of who they draft

41 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  45 minutes ago, mateagle2 said:

DWD... THINK CAP... we have no room, something has to give or we wont be able to sign anyone... There will be cap casualties through trade, I am predicting O-line

Getting Fournette and Losing RMat frees up cap.Once again it just makes sense from the biz angle

Rmatt is going to be cut anyway, so the Cap space is there regardless of who they draft

Sure but why go out and have to get a FA RB (and pay them) like Blount or Charles when you can have your RB for 4 years on a rook contract? Free cap means we are free to go sign other FA players we need

3 minutes ago, stine said:

Stop with Fournette! No way are we trading up to grab him and I doubt the Eagles are even eyeing him as a first round pick. We have so many needs that you want to toss away a 2nd round pick for a RB that may not even work in our system? No no no!!! I do not want him sam I am,

Stine... it wont cost us even 1 pick... maybe one low one to even out a three team trade, but scenarios such as Peters and Kelce to a SB ready team with OL as the biggest need... or JMatt in trade to a team that need a WR clearly can substitute for draft picks in moving up

43 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  47 minutes ago, mateagle2 said:

Sure but why go out and have to get a FA RB (and pay them) like Blount or Charles when you can have your RB for 4 years on a rook contract? Free cap means we are free to go sign other FA players we need

well plus the 5th year rook option for a round 1'er

43 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Anyway as much as we want to shore up this secondary(and we still could) in my view getting Fournette makes too much sense from all aspects(team,biz,fans) to ignore and I re-iterate the number 7 is still open on the roster sheet lol

Well he was in here on a private(so was Cook to be fair) so to sat it;s not possible is crazy.of course it is and if you look at the pressers,1)it would make fans happy 2)they would high 5 3) we have your RB for 5 years 4) we free up 5 mil in cap space 5)Howie makes his splash

10 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  17 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:
  1 hour ago, downwithdallas said:

I don't care what you say GBFL, I'm not taking Stine off my mock at pick 14. So there!

Oh man,you are BRUTAL HAHA

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

well plus the 5th year rook option for a round 1'er

FA RB can be a fall back plan if everything blows up on the RB front,,, and with the options of tallent that might be out of work.... veteran FA can come at a bargain after the draft this year since there is so much depth at the position in the draft....AP, Jamaal Charles, Deangello Williams, Chris Johnson, Reggie Bush, Legarret Blount, Justin Forsett, and many more

12 minutes ago, stine said:

Stine... it wont cost us even 1 pick... maybe one low one to even out a three team trade, but scenarios such as Peters and Kelce to a SB ready team with OL as the biggest need... or JMatt in trade to a team that need a WR clearly can substitute for draft picks in moving up

Yep,Carolina would be fine getting JMatt and a drop from 8 to 14 wouldn't hurt them

4 minutes ago, mateagle2 said:

FA RB can be a fall back plan if everything blows up on the RB front,,, and with the options of tallent that might be out of work.... veteran FA can come at a bargain after the draft this year since there is so much depth at the position in the draft....AP, Jamaal Charles, Deangello Williams, Chris Johnson, Reggie Bush, Legarret Blount, Justin Forsett, and many more

I think I would rather turn to Smallwood and Watson(or whomever late rounder undrafted you like). At least see what they got. Don't think we need another band-aid stop gap.

15 minutes ago, mateagle2 said:
  20 minutes ago, stine said:

Yep,Carolina would be fine getting JMatt and a drop from 8 to 14 wouldn't hurt them

Still a plethora of CB's at 43 as well

6 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  15 minutes ago, mateagle2 said:
  20 minutes ago, stine said:

JMatt replacement can be had in 3.it just all adds up in my view

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I would be giddy as a school girl if our first CB pick were King with 43 and we found a way to move up for Sidney Jones... as far as Im concerned... Fournette, King and Jones, AND NOT EVEN ONE MORE PLAYER, would be an incredibly successful draft

18 minutes ago, stine said:

First, We are not trading Peters. Second, no one would take Peters or Kelce to move down 7 spots in round 1. It would cost us at minimum or 14th AND our 2nd round pick. You want Fournette that badly? JMatt may generate interest, but not nearly enoung for any team to move down 7 spots. It would take at a minimum our 3rd and 4th round pick plus JMatt. You all value our players way too much....

Just now, stine said:

First, We are not trading Peters. Second, no one would take Peters or Kelce to move down 7 spots in round 1. It would cost us at minimum or 14th AND our 2nd round pick. You want Fournette that badly? JMatt may generate interest, but not nearly enoung for any team to move down 7 spots. It would take at a minimum our 3rd and 4th round pick plus JMatt. You all value our players way too much....

I think that keeping him this year and not getting value for him now, and then he is retired next year would be useless... if we dont trade him, we are NOT winning a SB... If we do trade him, we free up SOOOO much money that we need to pay players... we have just over 1mil on the cap only... we cant even sign the drafteess with that

The thing with trading Peters or Kelce is that team would have to take on their salary. Hard for the contending teams. The smeag of the league are the only ones with that kind of cap room now.

They would take Kelce and Peters to move UP to 14 and then provide someone above us the extra ammo to move down to them and collect a two team pool of draft choices

4 minutes ago, stine said:

Hey you don't have to pay a second round pick...that's just more cap savings LOL