Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] What Is Eagles' Plan For First Round?

Look, Fournette may turn out to be that Brusing back you are saying he will be. But for how long, assuming he is. Most RB's with that style of running last 3-4 years before they are done in. Lynch is an anomaly. Even he was plagued with Injuries through out his career.... If you are dead set on drafting a RB, take McCaffrey and sign a FA for a year. All of this talk about freeing up cap space is a given. RMatt is going to be cut the minute he clears his medical.... So stop using that as a means of freeing up space...

Despite what Dave has to say here the only thing that makes sense, not only on round one for the Eagles, but for at least three of their first four picks (if not all four), is defense. I'd say there's about a 75% chance we go CB at #14, a 20% chance we go edge rusher, and a 5% chance(at most) we draft Foster.
There's NO chance we draft Fournette, or any other RB, at #14, and very little chance we do on any round prior to round five. Even there, the odds are less than 50-50 we take a RB.

That seems very right. The Eagles pretty much finished the offense with Alshon and Torrey Smith already. Defense, in particular pass defense, is where their needs are. IMHO.

3 minutes ago, stine said:

Look, Fournette may turn out to be that Brusing back you are saying he will be. But for how long, assuming he is. Most RB's with that style of running last 3-4 years before they are done in. Lynch is an anomaly. Even he was plagued with Injuries through out his career.... If you are dead set on drafting a RB, take McCaffrey and sign a FA for a year. All of this talk about freeing up cap space is a given. RMatt is going to be cut the minute he clears his medical.... So stop using that as a means of freeing up space...

See that's the thing. He has near the same speed as Elliott or Shady. He isn't just a bruiser. He has incredibly nimble feet. More of the bruiser aspect actually comes from his stiff arms. Those things are weapons. It does make you think of that playoff game when Lynch just threw that guy to the ground. That was Beast Mode kicking in.

4 years on a rook contract at minimum buys us time lol

13 minutes ago, stine said:

First, We are not trading Peters. Second, no one would take Peters or Kelce to move down 7 spots in round 1. It would cost us at minimum or 14th AND our 2nd round pick. You want Fournette that badly? JMatt may generate interest, but not nearly enoung for any team to move down 7 spots. It would take at a minimum our 3rd and 4th round pick plus JMatt. You all value our players way too much....

They would take Kelce and Peters to move UP to 14 and then provide someone above us the extra ammo to move down to them and collect a two team pool of draft choices

No they would not. Peters has 1 year left and Kelce is worth Maybe a late 3 rd pick at best. No one would take that deal.

Ok so maybe Elliott gets the edge on McCaffrey. He has shown good durability. My hatred for all things CBoys and Ohio St might be clouding my judgement just a hair.

Its hard to look at some things objectively when you are a fan. The thing about Elliot that you have to tip your hat to is during that three game playoff run to the National Championship everyone knew that Ohio State was going to run Elliot down their throats and they did but no one could stop him. That's a gamer in my mind. Whether he plays for Dallas now or not. Ohio States offensive line was terrible that year too until about the last five games of the season. Taylor Decker was the only good linemen they had at the start of the season. The rest of them grew into their positions before the season was over. Hey, Wentz is nothing to sneeze at. Right?

Like Fournette(trade JMatt to Carolina) at 43-CB-King/White,Wilsn(take your pick) 3) nazair Jones-DT 4-KPass at DE(beast) 4) Shelton Gibson(we like and Jmatt replacement) 5)Kazee-another CB for us 6) Cohen(Sproles replacement and whomever you want in 7

Like Fournette(trade JMatt to Carolina) at 43-CB-King/White,Wilsn(take your pick) 3) nazair Jones-DT 4-KPass at DE(beast) 4) Shelton Gibson(we like and Jmatt replacement) 5)Kazee-another CB for us 6) Cohen(Sproles replacement and whomever you want in 7

yeah I could live with that

13 minutes ago, stine said:

First, We are not trading Peters. Second, no one would take Peters or Kelce to move down 7 spots in round 1. It would cost us at minimum or 14th AND our 2nd round pick. You want Fournette that badly? JMatt may generate interest, but not nearly enoung for any team to move down 7 spots. It would take at a minimum our 3rd and 4th round pick plus JMatt. You all value our players way too much....

Hey you don't have to pay a second round pick...that's just more cap savings LOL

Ham, you know that these trades are not possible. Please try and explain. Obviously my arguments are falling on deaf ears. Peters will not command better than a 4th round pick as he is commanding 10 mil and will likely retied after this year. Kelce will maybe get you a late 3rd round pick given his salary. I am thinking more like a 4th. No GM would trade down 7 spots for less than a 2nd round pick plus our 14th. They know the value and also you need to think of the CAP space they would have to take on to consider that trade. Just not remotely possible!

4 minutes ago, stine said:

Ham, you know that these trades are not possible. Please try and explain. Obviously my arguments are falling on deaf ears. Peters will not command better than a 4th round pick as he is commanding 10 mil and will likely retied after this year. Kelce will maybe get you a late 3rd round pick given his salary. I am thinking more like a 4th. No GM would trade down 7 spots for less than a 2nd round pick plus our 14th. They know the value and also you need to think of the CAP space they would have to take on to consider that trade. Just not remotely possible!

Broncos need to WIN NOW, and have 14 mil cap space

28 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Ok so maybe Elliott gets the edge on McCaffrey. He has shown good durability. My hatred for all things CBoys and Ohio St might be clouding my judgement just a hair.

Its hard to look at some things objectively when you are a fan. The thing about Elliot that you have to tip your hat to is during that three game playoff run to the National Championship everyone knew that Ohio State was going to run Elliot down their throats and they did but no one could stop him. That's a gamer in my mind. Whether he plays for Dallas now or not. Ohio States offensive line was terrible that year too until about the last five games of the season. Taylor Decker was the only good linemen they had at the start of the season. The rest of them grew into their positions before the season was over. Hey, Wentz is nothing to sneeze at. Right?

Now lets take a look at how RB Dalvin Cook did against his two toughest opponents last year. National Champion Clemson 19 attempts for 169 yards rushing and 4 TD's. Then we have Michigan in the Orange Bowl. Michigan had the second best defense in the country last year and Cook had 20 attempts for 145 yards rushing and a TD.

4 minutes ago, stine said:

C'mon now. You are shattering my dreams that someone is going to give us a second round pick for Byron Marshall. Some team needs him really bad.

5 minutes ago, stine said:

Seattle is built to win now and they have 8 mil cap space... both of those teams have experienced O-line needs as biggest need... both have cap room... we need cap room... BADDDD

1 minute ago, mateagle2 said:

Seattle is built to win now and they have 8 mil cap space... both of those teams have experienced O-line needs as biggest need... both have cap room... we need cap room... BADDDD

I could see them as a fit for trading Peters,Kelce and JMatt potentially. When Sherman hit the trading block all these thoughts went through my mind.

5 minutes ago, stine said:

Yes, so how do they pay Peters and the draft picks then? Also, What do you expect for Peters? No one is going to pay a 2nd rounder for him. Or a 3rd for that matter. Chargers have 13 mil Cap space so they are not going to take on Peters contract either. Jets have 7 Mil cap space. No use about talking any move above them. Carolina want Fournette most likely if he is not drafted by Jacksonville, so you cannot trade with them either.

1 minute ago, stine said:

Yes, so how do they pay Peters and the draft picks then? Also, What do you expect for Peters? No one is going to pay a 2nd rounder for him. Or a 3rd for that matter. Chargers have 13 mil Cap space so they are not going to take on Peters contract either. Jets have 7 Mil cap space. No use about talking any move above them. Carolina want Fournette most likely if he is not drafted by Jacksonville, so you cannot trade with them either.

You include him in discussion on what he would accept as pay to be on a SB contender THIS YEAR, before he retires... and have him identify the teams that HE feels are SB contenders and then negotiate that with the teams he gives you... If you think he wouldnt take a cut to win a SB ring then you are confused

Unless Fournette drops to 10, we are not in a position to trade for him... Plain and simple. You all are putting too much stock on our players. JMatt is on the last year of his rookie contract and is primarily a slot Receiver. Not worth more than a 3rd round pick and there would need to be clauses in the deal assuring he signs an extension....

9 minutes ago, mateagle2 said:
  14 minutes ago, stine said:

IMO Jax hates their QB and they are in a position to get a top one at 4th and we trade with Carolina at 8.jax is still in a position to select a RB in a later round

6 minutes ago, stine said:
  11 minutes ago, mateagle2 said:
  16 minutes ago, stine said:

IMO Jax hates their QB and they are in a position to get a top one at 4th and we trade with Carolina at 8.jax is still in a position to select a RB in a later round

Carolina gets JMatt and is still in a position at 14 to take a RB,or use that pick to move down and still get Caff and another pick

Bucs I believe will move up for Cook.That being said if we are sitting at 8,we could still move down a tad(say to 11)take Fournette and get another late pick.This is really all making sense to me

Bucs I believe will move up for Cook.That being said if we are sitting at 8,we could still move down a tad(say to 11)take Fournette and get another late pick.This is really all making sense to me

(Bucs to to 12 with Cleveland trade)