Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] What Is Eagles' Plan For First Round?

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

But(you knew that was coming lol)...the flaw in that system is not accounting for potential. They wouldn't take a Ziggy Ansah because he hadn't played much football and was less 'polished' than many rushers in that draft. By their definition you would take Luke Joeckel over Lane Johnson. Luke was clearly much more a starter and Lane being much more potential starter to begin their careers.

Flaw in every system draft is not an exact science it is a big guessing game.....

43 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

https://theringer.com/2017-nfl-draft-top-prospects-leonard-fournette-deshaun-watson-302c5ae6434c

Apparently our grading system works similar to how the article states Browns used it, Belicheat in NE apparently uses a similar model and of course the Ravens where Joe came from 

Here MJK 

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The other BUT is that system was created when rookie contracts were crazy. The rookie salary cap setup in today's NFL changes some of the logic of the good old days.

Didn't say the system might not have flaws just interesting to see how the Eagles might be grading players...Sure Joe and co. made tweaks to this system sure it is not 100% exactly like Lombardi is describing..... 

Thanks BG. Love this about Barnett;

This year Barnett — who suffered from the flu during the combine — is that guy. All he does is makes things happen against the best competition. Great motor, high intelligence, savvy instincts — sounds just like T-Sizzle.

Sorry ( or not ) guys, I really like Barnett

Brooks and Jeremiah both saying he's going to get there quicker than Garrett

Just now, mjkline1958 said:

Sorry ( or not ) guys, I really like Barnett

According to Galko, the Eagles have five players they’re targeting in the first round: Charles Harris, Derek Barnett, Gareon Conley, Christian McCaffrey, and John Ross.

No clue how reliable it is but seems to believe Barnett is one of 5 guys we are targeting in round 1 

Thanks DWD, just got in and didn't see that. Peppers not on my radar at all, not an Eagle so doesn't directly affect us but he is on other teams' so indirectly later on. Perfect dullass guy :)

Reading the article from Lombardi was interesting to see him have Adoree Jackson as part of his top 14......I have said numerous times though I see Jackson as possible high reward but also one of the riskiest players as well.....Really depends on how he develops as a CB raw in that area  

I believe Conleye is going to be really good and we need a corner. Barnett is on a totally diff level. In a way pass rush is overated. Before you all gasp that I would even think - let alone say - something like that, please think. QB's are now being trained and teams are being designed to get rid of the ball in under 2.5 secs! Pass rush is great, but 2.5 secs is rediculous speed - yes, again Spaceballs. Now go out and cover everything that can happen in 3 secs. I did ask you to think - take it from there. Let's please start a real thinking conversation, this hypothetical crap is getting boring. Football is a chess game played on a big board, and our players aren't set.

Just now, mjkline1958 said:

I believe Conleye is going to be really good and we need a corner. Barnett is on a totally diff level. In a way pass rush is overated. Before you all gasp that I would even think - let alone say - something like that, please think. QB's are now being trained and teams are being designed to get rid of the ball in under 2.5 secs! Pass rush is great, but 2.5 secs is rediculous speed - yes, again Spaceballs. Now go out and cover everything that can happen in 3 secs. I did ask you to think - take it from there. Let's please start a real thinking conversation, this hypothetical crap is getting boring. Football is a chess game played on a big board, and our players aren't set.

Pass rush and secondary go some much hand and hand that it is not funny.....On one end pass rushers can't get him if QBs are able to get the ball out quickly but on the same end secondary can't be left to cover these WRs all day either so rushers have to get home.....Has to be a balance 

With Adoree you always hear things like easy fluid speed. I think it was McShay that called him the second best return man in the draft. He would have been exactly what the Dr ordered to make some plays on last year's offense.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

With Adoree you always hear things like easy fluid speed. I think it was McShay that called him the second best return man in the draft. He would have been exactly what the Dr ordered to make some plays on last year's offense.

Adoree is an insanely good athlete I have said I think he might be the best athlete in the entire draft...Doesn't mean he will be a great football player though that is the issue.....2nd round he is on the board I would take a flier on him though 

So it comes down to a QB being able to get off in 2.5 secs. A CB cannot cover more than 3.5. So that leads to who can get to a QB ( takes a team ) in less than 2.5 or who can disrupt and cover ( again - a team ) for 3.5 secs.

Jabrill Peppers tested positive for a diluted sample at the combine. Expect him to fall to the second round per ESPN

Well if the question is who could you leave on ODB? That's really the question isn't it? The Skins receivers are gone. Dez probably isn't a long term issue as much. Outside of the division GB with Jordy. Tampa Bay is an issue for sure. But it really feels like we need an ODB killer...or neutralizer...or at least someone who can go toe to toe with him man up. So who is the best corner to stop ODB?

I was thinking a game changer is now going to fall to 14, if he's at a position of need so much the better, but we'd have to take him if he's a true game changer. If that happens, anyone opposed to Sidney Jones in the 2nd? Yes he's injured, yes he may not make it bak or shouldn't be rushed back, but I had him another level above the rest of the CB's in this draft, take a risk and not wait till he's gone in the late 3rd

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So who is the best corner to stop ODB?

Bigger CB that can bully him at the line get in his head little......ODB tends to get flustered after awhile when things are not going his way 

4 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

I was thinking a game changer is now going to fall to 14, if he's at a position of need so much the better, but we'd have to take him if he's a true game changer. If that happens, anyone opposed to Sidney Jones in the 2nd? Yes he's injured, yes he may not make it bak or shouldn't be rushed back, but I had him another level above the rest of the CB's in this draft, take a risk and not wait till he's gone in the late 3rd

Sorry ,I'm opposed to Jones in the second. I have a list of several very good corner prospects in the second round that will gain experience year one and grow. Too many good corners in this draft. King,Moreau,White,Obi,Tankersley....whoever falls