Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] What Is Eagles' Plan For First Round?

IN OUR VIEW: With all due respect to Myles Garrett and the rest of this dynamic edge rusher class, Foster is the most explosive defender in the entire 2017 draft. An intimidating face-up hitter with sideline-to-sideline speed, Foster projects as an immediate difference-maker in the middle in the NFL.

COMPARES TO: Patrick Willis, - Foster projects as a future Pro Bowler.

NFL.com

15 minutes ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

They will? Inside source?

So, You are saying that obvious is not obvious?... You are the GM, and you watched Luck get his a** handed to him every week... what would your priority be? Whether through trade or draft, they will not let that happen to him again, they have too much invested in him

Well if im the Bills i have to make the decision is Taylor our franchise QB.

You know this is a weak class for OT right? Bills select i think its 10.. You want me to use that pick on a RT coz i just signed my LT to a contract.

I have injury prone Watkins, a hole at CB and both my S are below average.

8 minutes ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

You know this is a weak class for OT right? Bills select i think its 10.. You want me to use that pick on a RT coz i just signed my LT to a contract.

You might want to look at how much money they spent on the defense in FA... 3mil 1yr on CB Darius Butler... TONS on 4  D-lineman

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:
  1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

Exactly what I would have done. To be prudent you have to have have a list of 14 players you would be willing to take at pick 14. I just don't see a CB in the equation worthy of the 14th pick. I would be perfectly happy to have Wilson and Jones on the outside and Lewis as the nickle. None of them will go that high in the draft.

but most will be gone by 43 so whatever

Just looked up the latest rankings on a couple of CB's I like for us from NFL.com. These guys all have a positional grade A and their strong suits are man to man coverage plus the scouts think one of them could play safety as well if asked.
Conley - rated top 25 pick in the draft
Quincy Wilson could also play safety, rated top 40 pick in the draft
Sidney Jones - due to injury round two thru round 3
Jourdan Lewis - due to domestic violence incidence with girlfriend, round 2 thru round 3

If you replaced Lewis with Moreau,I would be happy with any pair of them

If I took Lewis it would be for the slot. He is the best out there this year in the position. Some team will probably force it and take him for the outside corner position which would make him be drafted higher but I don't see him anywhere but the slot at the next level. Did Moreau injure himself and have to have surgery? Thought I read that somewhere.

22 minutes ago, mateagle2 said:
  25 minutes ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

So, You are saying that obvious is not obvious?... You are the GM, and you watched Luck get his a** handed to him every week... what would your priority be? Whether through trade or draft, they will not let that happen to him again, they have too much invested in him

Oh if i was the Colts. Well heres the thing with the Colts they have the most overatted QB in the NFL my thoughts but if im picking at 15 lets see

Constanzo is their best OL. Their weakness would be Clarke at RT so Ramzyk or Robinson be good picks here.

Hilton n Moncrief seem to be no.2 WRs. Moncrief did show some signs last year though. Position could be upgraded here maybe Williams/Davis fall here.

No more Fleeney or Allen for Luck anymore. NJoku could be a fit here.

Cant forget about ex-Eagle Frank Gore lol Cook or McCaffery might be sitting there to be picked.

On D something Colts have been lacking since Manning days. A premier OLB be good here. They did take a swing at Mingo maybe he could step up coz Simon across from Sheard not gonna get it done.

ILB they signed Sean Spence but i dont see him as the man . Maybe Foster is here or take Reddick.

S big weakness anyone would be an upgrade.

26 minutes ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

You might want to look at how much money they spent on the defense in FA... 3mil 1yr on CB Darius Butler... TONS on 4  D-lineman

Butler is a Colt? That post waa about the Bills.

Butler sounds like hes going to be playing S now. Meaning Colts are weak opposite Davis.

1 minute ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Butler is a Colt? That post waa about the Bills.

Butler sounds like hes going to be playing S now. Meaning Colts are weak opposite Davis.

Im not sure how they plan on using Butler, but they have gone all out on the defense in FA, which leads me to believe they will balance things out by using the draft on majority offense... I could be wrong, but that is my gut feeling

Yes Freak, I read that the Colts like RB Cook a lot. Can't blame them for that. Luck needs a security blanket. Especially with that O-line. LOL

Colts also spent big money on DT Hankins from NYG, and DE Sheard from NE

Yip i took them into consideration also mentioned Sheard below. Still have weaknesses. But OT or RB would be good picks.

Just now, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Yip i took them into consideration also mentioned Sheard below. Still have weaknesses. But OT or RB would be good picks.

You are correct, and the fact that a good RB can make any line better is true, and that is something I did not consider

Here is a question... is our CB situation "significantly" worse than last year or just "moderately" worse... Im leaning to moderately worse, because its not like we had strong CB play to begin with

Dallas only comitted to a 2mil hit in 2017... and we comitted only 775k on Robinson... Hell Morris Claiborne gets 4.7 mil in 2017

Here is a question... is our CB situation "significantly" worse than last year or just "moderately" worse... Im leaning to moderately worse, because its not like we had strong CB play to begin with

Maybe I'm an optimist but I think it is better than last year and we didn't even draft yet, The key for Robinson is staying healthy. If he does he plays well. Mills should be a little better than last year and Brooks was playing well in the slot before he got injured. Plus we have two more guys C. J. Smith and Aaron Grimes that will be in their second year of the system and should finally get an honest chance to compete for playing time. I can see either one of them being the first guy off the bench at outside (Grymes) or the slot position (Smith). I don't believe that Gratz will be any thing more than a sub at the most.

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:
  2 hours ago, mateagle2 said:
  2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

maybe we have SO many linemen so we don;t have to draft one?? lol

Im just saying that since the 2000 draft, the lowest that ANY 1st OT came off the board was 13

Ramczyk has been rumored to the Panthers in the first round along with two other positional players. I see some now have Robinson dropping to the second round. I have felt all along that Ramczyk would go before Robinson.

Wisconsin has produced some killer O-line guys. If the need were a little greater, I don't think I would view Ramczyk as a reach at 14. Eagles will not have Peters next season.

Lane moves to LT and someone else takes the RT spot.Dont see a glaring need

And with this weak class whats the rush to get one? lol

I dont think he is saying we should take one. I think he is suggesting some who really needs an o linmen might trade up. 

Also suggesting we stock piled olineman so we wouldn't  need one this draft

Well let them,but they are not gonna take a 3rd round guy in the first just because they need one

1 hour ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Outlet TE? perhaps a RB that can catch swing passes? A quicker slot guy? A little footwork/mobility training for your QB? Lots of ways to skin a cat lol

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:
  3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Exactly what I would have done. To be prudent you have to have have a list of 14 players you would be willing to take at pick 14. I just don't see a CB in the equation worthy of the 14th pick. I would be perfectly happy to have Wilson and Jones on the outside and Lewis as the nickle. None of them will go that high in the draft.

but most will be gone by 43 so whatever

Just looked up the latest rankings on a couple of CB's I like for us from NFL.com. These guys all have a positional grade A and their strong suits are man to man coverage plus the scouts think one of them could play safety as well if asked.
Conley - rated top 25 pick in the draft
Quincy Wilson could also play safety, rated top 40 pick in the draft
Sidney Jones - due to injury round two thru round 3
Jourdan Lewis - due to domestic violence incidence with girlfriend, round 2 thru round 3

If you replaced Lewis with Moreau,I would be happy with any pair of them

If I took Lewis it would be for the slot. He is the best out there this year in the position. Some team will probably force it and take him for the outside corner position which would make him be drafted higher but I don't see him anywhere but the slot at the next level. Did Moreau injure himself and have to have surgery? Thought I read that somewhere.

yes on Moreau,but he will be ready to roll for TC

Jourdan Lewis

Lewis was a Jim Thorpe Award finalist and the Big Ten Conference Defensive Back of the Year (25 tackles, 3.5 for loss, two interceptions, nine pass breakups). He was a 13-game starter as a junior, making 52 tackles, 3.5 for loss, two interceptions, and 20 breakups, which ranked third in the FBS. Lewis averaged 25.2 yards on kick returns in 2015, as well. He earned a starting corner job three games into his sophomore year (39 tackles, 1.5 TFL, two INT, six PBU), and contributed as a true freshman in 2012 (17 tackles, two PBU).

Ultra-competitive with an overwhelming drive to succeed. Allowed just seven catches in 2016 for completion percentage against of 23.3. An annoyance from press coverage. Squats on top of his target waiting to punch and impede. Twitchy feet can stick and close to ball instantly when he reads pass. Able to flip hips and accelerate quickly. Has lateral quickness and agility to flourish from the slot. Has adequate recovery speed to make up for an early mistake. Finds ball with back to quarterback as well as anyone in college. Maintains tight coverage downfield and waits for receiver's eyes to cue him in on when to turn and find it. In three years as a starter, credited with 42 passes defensed, including six interceptions. Allowed just two touchdowns during same time frame. Has special teams experience as a gunner and in return game.

Draft projection - Lewis is a first round talent that will probably be drafted in round 3 or 4 due to his size. He is 5ft 10in and 187 pounds.
Sources tell us they love everything about the way he plays. He's cocky and tough and doesn't take any (expletive) from anyone. And sub-package teams will love him because he won't kill you against the run. NFL Comparison - Adam Jones

The bottom line on Lewis is that he is a technician with the foot quickness and overall athleticism to handle himself from the slot. Shouldn't be much of a detriment against the run for teams who want to attack on the ground from 11 personnel. Excels from press and plays with confidence and edge. He has the ability to become a very good slot corner for a man-cover team.

1 hour ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Well we spent a truckload on Maxwell too.How did that work out? Money does NOT buy guarantees

51 minutes ago, mateagle2 said:

Maybe I'm an optimist but I think it is better than last year and we didn't even draft yet, The key for Robinson is staying healthy. If he does he plays well. Mills should be a little better than last year and Brooks was playing well in the slot before he got injured. Plus we have two more guys C. J. Smith and Aaron Grimes that will be in their second year of the system and should finally get an honest chance to compete for playing time. I can see either one of them being the first guy off the bench at outside (Grymes) or the slot position (Smith). I don't believe that Gratz will be any thing more than a sub at the most.

Also we had some of our S's playing CB which they were obviously not all the comfy with

16 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well let them,but they are not gonna take a 3rd round guy in the first just because they need one

Of course not but there are a few guys projected as first rounders. If someone wants 1 before the colts we might get an offer